Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

greatn posted:

Getting a lot of Obama payroll tax hike stuff today.

It's common knowledge to us that Obama wanted to extend this tax cut but it was a non starter to republicans. However that's not really very common knowledge to most. Does anyone have any articles from the time negotiations were ongoing, showing Obama wanted the tax cut extended but Republicans wouldn't accept it? Also from when it was originally going to expire and republicans fought against renewing it?

Nobody wanted to extend it because it was threatening to put Social Security on the road to insolvency. It should have never passed in the first place but the common man needed some type of concession after the Republicans held the country hostage to extend Bush's tax cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

zeroprime posted:

Not that an originalist argument necessarily means much anyways. The Bill of Rights was arguably more about protecting the states from the federal government than it was about protecting individuals from The State.

I've heard people advocate this reading. But I'm not sure how seriously they take it.

If we accept the logic that the 2nd amendment is there to give states (rather than the federal government) the power to regulate firearm access, then federal bans become unconstitutional.

But I don't think I've seen the proponents of this reading identify any potential laws that would be made unconstitutional by the amendment.

Instead, the argument seems like a way of seeming to address the 2nd, without actually giving it any effect.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
*sigh* Another email from my grandma about 'dem niggers. Sometimes I wish I could man up and tell her to cram it, but my mom is sick and that would probably kill her

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Sarion posted:

I think a better tactic maybe to point out that such protections are now meaningless given the massive difference between home owned weapons and what the American Military is capable of. And when they claim that obviously the military will side with citizens, you can just post this:

A guy I know was just talking about how the military would obviously side with the people in the event of a civil war. Personally, I can't see it, because the generals will side with the government, which means >90% of officers down to maybe 1LTs will all side with the government, which means >90% of NCOs down to probably SGT will all side with the government.... His response was something about how "soldiers [and sailors and airmen and marines] know that their paycheck ultimately comes from the people", but in my experience most soldiers only know that they get paid by Uncle Sam. He also makes the mistake of thinking that a civil war will be 100% of the people versus the government, when in reality it's probably going to be a bunch of idiots that compose no more than 10% of the populace declaring for the new Confederacy or some poo poo (and of that 10%, 3% of them will be able-bodied people who can fight and the rest will be retired Baby Boomers that weigh 300+ pounds and need a motorized cart to get around).

It's interesting that you post that picture, because we (me and this guy) had a discussion a while back about why being college-educated seems to make you a liberal, and he specifically pointed to the Kent State incident as an event that was skewed by liberals into the massacre we know it as. He believes that the National Guardsmen were perfectly justified in opening fire on a group of unarmed students because some one person fired a shot at them first (which is an account that is still debated). Even if one person or even multiple people had fired at them, I believe that does not excuse responding by firing at people who are clearly unarmed.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Hey want to know the result of people posting conspiracy videos of the Sandy Hook shooting? Howabout a guy that is constantly being harassed for bringing the kids in to the safety of his home and contact their parents.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gene-rosen-sandy-hook-conspiracy-155033813.html

Here's an example of the emails he's been getting, along with harassing phone calls, hang-ups, etc:

quote:

How are all those little students doing? You know, the ones that showed up at your house after the ‘shooting’. What is the going rate for getting involved in a gov’t sponsored hoax anyway?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Eulogistics posted:

A guy I know was just talking about how the military would obviously side with the people in the event of a civil war. Personally, I can't see it, because the generals will side with the government, which means >90% of officers down to maybe 1LTs will all side with the government, which means >90% of NCOs down to probably SGT will all side with the government.... His response was something about how "soldiers [and sailors and airmen and marines] know that their paycheck ultimately comes from the people", but in my experience most soldiers only know that they get paid by Uncle Sam. He also makes the mistake of thinking that a civil war will be 100% of the people versus the government, when in reality it's probably going to be a bunch of idiots that compose no more than 10% of the populace declaring for the new Confederacy or some poo poo (and of that 10%, 3% of them will be able-bodied people who can fight and the rest will be retired Baby Boomers that weigh 300+ pounds and need a motorized cart to get around).

It's interesting that you post that picture, because we (me and this guy) had a discussion a while back about why being college-educated seems to make you a liberal, and he specifically pointed to the Kent State incident as an event that was skewed by liberals into the massacre we know it as. He believes that the National Guardsmen were perfectly justified in opening fire on a group of unarmed students because some one person fired a shot at them first (which is an account that is still debated). Even if one person or even multiple people had fired at them, I believe that does not excuse responding by firing at people who are clearly unarmed.

I like this post because your first paragraph raises an interesting question and then your second one answers it.

Q: In a civil war, who is part of "the people" and who is the other side?
A: "The people" always seems to refer to everyone who thinks just like the speaker, and is always assumed to be more than a tiny minority. Anyone who disagrees isn't a person/American/etc and we needn't concern ourselves with their ideas or well-being.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hey want to know the result of people posting conspiracy videos of the Sandy Hook shooting? Howabout a guy that is constantly being harassed for bringing the kids in to the safety of his home and contact their parents.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gene-rosen-sandy-hook-conspiracy-155033813.html

Here's an example of the emails he's been getting, along with harassing phone calls, hang-ups, etc:

^^ Here is a better question in a Civil War who wins guns or drones? Since that is the way it will be.
Well that has caused me to hate humanity a little more today.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The most mind boggling stupid part of the whole Sandy Hook conspiracy theory is the belief that it was the same women involved with that and the movie theater massacre. I mean... why? Jesus loving christ they don't even look that similar. :psyduck: Its willing stupidity on a level that Ive previously never experienced and its driving me nuts.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Okay,

Now, I've sure we've seen all the pro-gun meme's but I haven't seen anything countering them.

Anti-Gun Philosoraptor

It's currently spreading like wildfire on my facebook and getting some really nasty comments - does anyone else have some better ideas?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is it about the Sandy Hook shooting conspiracy that is giving it so much traction across the internet? There have always been crazy convoluted conspiracy theories for everything but for some reason this one is actually breaking into mainstream discourse. Even 911 truthers never got this far. I have NEVER seen a conspiracy rant on my Facebook before this, suddenly tons of "friends" are posting that god drat video and commenting how it makes them think. This has got to be symptomatic of the general terribleness of American culture but hell if I know enough to get into it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Why do the gun control=Hitler memes get around, but not this one?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is it about the Sandy Hook shooting conspiracy that is giving it so much traction across the internet? There have always been crazy convoluted conspiracy theories for everything but for some reason this one is actually breaking into mainstream discourse. Even 911 truthers never got this far. I have NEVER seen a conspiracy rant on my Facebook before this, suddenly tons of "friends" are posting that god drat video and commenting how it makes them think. This has got to be symptomatic of the general terribleness of American culture but hell if I know enough to get into it.

Because 9/11 happened under Republican watch and you know the GOP is all about telling the truth! Sandy Hook happened under Obummer and THE LIEBRAL MEDIA is not telling you the truth so Barry and the libs can take your guns. The same person that told me that I was crazy for even questioning the official story of 9/11 is a Sandy Hook is a false flag conspiracy theorist. I want to choke him.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think it's people who get to a point that they would have to make a conscious decision that they value their penis-extension guns more than the life of children. At this point they either have to admit that they're terrible people, or escape to a fantasy world where the shooting never happened and everybody is an actor.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Okay,

Now, I've sure we've seen all the pro-gun meme's but I haven't seen anything countering them.

Anti-Gun Philosoraptor

It's currently spreading like wildfire on my facebook and getting some really nasty comments - does anyone else have some better ideas?

For some reason I can't link the images, but these were the best I could do: meaning - not very good.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3skycb/

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3sky6s/

But I tend to find that memes work better for things that are simple, and portrayed as "black or white". Nuance and complexity are not the hallmarks of catchy viral messages, but they're pretty much required for good legislation.

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem
My family's in NY. As I've mentioned in other threads, they live about 30 minutes south from Webster, the place where the Christmas Eve Day shooting happened. I just talked to my mom and mentioned the Sandy Hook/Aurora conspiracy theories. She hadn't heard about them before. She was so appalled I thought she was going to cry. She manages a housing complex, where some of the residents are quite interesting to say the least. One resident was chatting with her today about how Andrew Cuomo clearly wants to be president - "if he lives long enough to run, that is." My mom just smiled and nodded because she knows this guy has a mini arsenal in his apartment. I really wish she could find a different job. :(

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Regarding the conspiracy stuff; I really think Sandy Hook (and Benghazi for that matter) have really taken off to new levels because of social media, and nothing more. If facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc had been around and popular during 9/11 the Truther poo poo would probably have been just as bad.

e: At least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night :ohdear:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sarion posted:

Regarding the conspiracy stuff; I really think Sandy Hook (and Benghazi for that matter) have really taken off to new levels because of social media, and nothing more. If facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc had been around and popular during 9/11 the Truther poo poo would probably have been just as bad.

And the complete unwillingness of the news to call them out officially as just batshit insane.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I somehow think an attempted media takedown of the conspiracy would only feed into their paranoid fantasies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Poizen Jam posted:

I somehow think an attempted media takedown of the conspiracy would only feed into their paranoid fantasies.

I just mean in general. For the past 10 years we've cultivated an environment where everyone's opinion is sane and valid and now it's too late to turn back.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Sarion posted:

My fiancee watched that video I posted earlier (sandy hook conspiracy) and said it was making good points, and that because they were showing (some) stuff from TV it must be true but hard to believe.

She goes on the internet for Facebook and email so her bullshit detector isn't finely tuned doesn't exist. I told her that 1) for breaking news, TV newsfolk rush to get a scoop instead of verifying facts and 2) a lot of the videos lack context. (And could have been flat-out altered). And that the whole point of the video was to say "government trying to take away ARE GUNS :supaburn:". Just saying "the InfoWars tag is at the bottom of the video so you can safely ignore it because jesus christ infowars is the site the bottom of the barrel thinks is purestrain bullshit" wouldn't be effective.

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe it makes them feel better, to pretend it didn't happen. Because the alternative is that they are giving their hobby, more importance than dead kids.

eta: peak dept said the same thing only better!

Kat R. Waulin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 16, 2013

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer
A relative keeps trying to get my husband to join the NRA. He posted this link, to the membership page, on my husband's fb wall. http://membership.nrahq.org/

The video is so cheesy, it reminds me of the intro to The Colbert Report.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Kat R. Waulin posted:

A relative keeps trying to get my husband to join the NRA. He posted this link, to the membership page, on my husband's fb wall. http://membership.nrahq.org/

The video is so cheesy, it reminds me of the intro to The Colbert Report.

With the number of posters in TFR talking about how they became lifetime members of the NRA today they probably don't need his money.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MC Nietzche posted:

With the number of posters in TFR talking about how they became lifetime members of the NRA today they probably don't need his money.

Holy poo poo, that thread. I read the whole thing and I'm not sure if my sanity came out along with me.

So much of that thread could be posted here or in the Freep thread and not even be distinguished as different.

For content: I've managed to avoid Facebook political drama pretty well so far, but now some is brewing in response to me posting this about the Hurricane Sandy Relief bill that passed:

Me: House Republicans just voted 49-179 against passing of Hurricane Sandy relief funding. Luckily it passed because House Democrats 192-1 for it (the shitheel holdout is Jim Cooper from TN). Please consider this the next time "Both parties are really just the same!" is uttered.

Friend's Dad (Who is a "middle of the road but actually kinda terrible" type political person): The $17bn immediate aid was passed easily in a bipartisan effort--thankfully. It was the supplemental $34bn (long-term aid and prevention investment) that caused some concern. I agree with the $17bn immediate aid (this should have been the original bill weeks ago,) but I believe state sovereignty should require NJ and NY taxpayers pony up the funds rather than blanket it across all taxpayers.

I responded saying that disaster relief is something that the federal government should do, because all areas of the country are affected by disaster at some point. I also corrected his numbers.

Thoughts on how to respond if he goes further down the rabbit hole?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Just ask him if he thinks we're one nation or fifty-states. If we're one nation than sometimes we have to give each other a hand, that's how it works. If he says fifty-states, then respond the states are like brothers, they're supposed to stand shoulder-to-shoulder, stronger together than we are apart. Would he tell his family to go screw if they needed his help?

edit: also yes, that TFR thread makes me want to weep. So many single-issue Democrats it's painful.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WampaLord posted:

Holy poo poo, that thread. I read the whole thing and I'm not sure if my sanity came out along with me.

So much of that thread could be posted here or in the Freep thread and not even be distinguished as different.

For content: I've managed to avoid Facebook political drama pretty well so far, but now some is brewing in response to me posting this about the Hurricane Sandy Relief bill that passed:

Me: House Republicans just voted 49-179 against passing of Hurricane Sandy relief funding. Luckily it passed because House Democrats 192-1 for it (the shitheel holdout is Jim Cooper from TN). Please consider this the next time "Both parties are really just the same!" is uttered.

Friend's Dad (Who is a "middle of the road but actually kinda terrible" type political person): The $17bn immediate aid was passed easily in a bipartisan effort--thankfully. It was the supplemental $34bn (long-term aid and prevention investment) that caused some concern. I agree with the $17bn immediate aid (this should have been the original bill weeks ago,) but I believe state sovereignty should require NJ and NY taxpayers pony up the funds rather than blanket it across all taxpayers.

I responded saying that disaster relief is something that the federal government should do, because all areas of the country are affected by disaster at some point. I also corrected his numbers.

Ask him what happens when dirt poor states like Mississippi get devastated (ala Katrina)... how on earth would they pony up and pay that?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has a point by point deconstruction of the Sandy Hook conspiracy theories been assembled yet? Because I could seriously use one so I don't have to continue getting into mind boggling arguments with people I know on Facebook.

This whole thing is seriously starting to unnerve me, far too many normally sensible people are starting to buy into this kind of crazed stuff. Theres not an ounce of critical thinking to be seen. And unlike many usual anti-intellectual attitudes we see everyday I strongly believe that this is actively dangerous.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 16, 2013

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has a point by point deconstruction of the Sandy Hook conspiracy theories been assembled yet? Because I could seriously use one so I don't have to continue getting into mind boggling arguments with people I know on Facebook.

This whole thing is seriously starting to unnerve me, far too many normally sensible people are starting to buy into this kind of crazed stuff. Theres not an ounce of critical thinking to be seen. And unlike many usual anti-intellectual attitudes we see everyday I strongly believe that this is actively dangerous.

Good old snopes usually has the debunks.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.asp

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

BonoMan posted:

And the complete unwillingness of the news to call them out officially as just batshit insane.

Anderson Cooper did a couple days ago: http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2013/01/12/ac-kth-newtown-conspiracies.cnn

myron cope posted:

My fiancee watched that video I posted earlier (sandy hook conspiracy) and said it was making good points, and that because they were showing (some) stuff from TV it must be true but hard to believe.

She goes on the internet for Facebook and email so her bullshit detector isn't finely tuned doesn't exist. I told her that 1) for breaking news, TV newsfolk rush to get a scoop instead of verifying facts and 2) a lot of the videos lack context. (And could have been flat-out altered). And that the whole point of the video was to say "government trying to take away ARE GUNS ". Just saying "the InfoWars tag is at the bottom of the video so you can safely ignore it because jesus christ infowars is the site the bottom of the barrel thinks is purestrain bullshit" wouldn't be effective.

I had to have a similar conversation with my brother today. He watched that same video and is of the jaundiced opinion that "given everything that's happened in the past few years," he "wouldn't be surprised by anything." I introduced him to the concept of Occam's Razor and reminded him of basically the same thing you said about breaking news and media. I think he got it, but I'll send him some links to make sure.

swiss_army_chainsaw fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 16, 2013

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

L-O-N posted:

Good old snopes usually has the debunks.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.asp

I can't use snopes to refute arguments because the site gets accused of "liberal media bias". Furthermore someone posted a link called "Snopes got snopes'd" which is full of bullshit thats been refuted on multiple sites. This same person also takes the site "regancoaltion" and "newsmax" as the word of God.

Is there even a way to talk to this level of crazy?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 16, 2013

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SalTheBard posted:

I can't use snopes to refute arguments because the site gets accused of "liberal media bias". Furthermore someone posted a link called "Snopes got snopes'd" which is full of bullshit thats been refuted on multiple sites. This same person also takes the site "regancoaltion" and "newsmax" as the word of God.

My solution to people who think Snopes is biased is to stop talking to them in any fashion.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

My solution to people who think Snopes is biased is to stop talking to them in any fashion.

This is sadly the best action, either they're idiot XKCD followers or just insane. If you want to do a bit more work, you can try to find what Snopes links to with citations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Never just link to Snopes. Read the Snopes page and explain it yourself.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

LP97S posted:

This is sadly the best action, either they're idiot XKCD followers or just insane.

XKCD, the webcomic with math and stick figures? Does it have an anti-Snopes history I'm not aware of?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Leospeare posted:

XKCD, the webcomic with math and stick figures? Does it have an anti-Snopes history I'm not aware of?

Some people didn't think this was a joke, I guess.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

His list of Executive Actions to take include things like: "enforcing laws passed by Congress that are often ignored" and "nominate someone to head the ATF after 6 years of the position being empty". You know, unconstitutional stuff!

Aika
Mar 12, 2008

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEAL THE EXITS!!!

I can top that:

I also see the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory video being passed around every white SAHM on my friends list with multiple kids under five.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Remember this when you see anyone with a dog:

Hitler owned a German Sheppard.

That would probably be my only retort. I guess since the whole 'Hitler was for gun control!' thing didn't stick they're seeking new and interesting ways to associate Obama with Hitler.

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.
I decided to catch up on this thread and a lot of it made me really quite sad. Not just because of the things that get spread around, the conspiracy theories and the lies and so on.

It's all the people saying that their brother, father, spouse, aunt, whoever is the one spreading this around and that they won't say anything to avoid upsetting family. Because that's why these things continue, because people won't stand up to the bullshit. C'mon, people! A little more :effort: and maybe we can make the world just the tiniest bit better :unsmith:

fakeedit: I love the "If you think the children are the most important, REMEMBER HITLER" image. Doesn't the message behind that just scream 'gently caress You, Got Mine'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

I think it's official, they have won. They have reached the point where they're arguing "doing things to protect children is bad because Hitler was in favor of doing things to help children". And they're arguing this point unironically.