Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

NikkolasKing posted:

...but I'll still play X-3. I can't help it. X is a fictional world I love and part of that love is staying with it in good times and bad.

Maybe it'll at least have good music like the Compilation did.

Ahhhh gently caress. So will I.

Well, maybe.

Maybe, if this actually does end up being a real game and gives the impression of being neither a stupid pretentious cash-grab like the FF7 compilation was, or a contrived recycling of assets with this unshakeable feeling of creative desperation like the FF13 sequels are, it could be worth a shot.

I seem to recall early on, when X-2 was in the planning stages, they were going to be giving Rikku her own spinoff too. What there was of that was supposedly merged into X-2, so there must not have been much of it. Still, if it were me in charge of this, I'd put Rikku in focus, since she's well-known and generally well-liked. Take Yuna and Tidus out of the picture, have Rikku doing her thing with Paine, maybe LeBlanc, and the three dudes from the different factions that X-2 had. There could be huge swathes of Spira still unexplored, and Rikku & crew would have a huge amount of resources backing them up in whatever expeditions they may take, as well as enough mixed, goofy personalities for fun interactions.

...but, who am I kidding. That's not what this is going to be. Instead it'll be all about ~love drama~.

The only good thing that might come of that is Tidus ending up exactly like Jecht. Drunken, slovenly, and a constant threat to endangered species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The fact that there were only one/two shoopufs around when Braska was on his pilgrimage suddenly make's Jecht's actions even more hilarious. It'd be like someone getting really drunk and trying to punch Lonesome George.

...Oh. :smith:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
The only way to play FF8 is to junction a strong spell to your characters' HP and not heal up from yellow health. Then, when a character's turn comes up, you use a Limit. If the Limit is not up, you press Circle (or whichever button skips the turn) and repeat until you can use one. When I was younger and had even less regard for my time than I do now, I would play through FF8 never once performing an action that wasn't a Limit once the card game became available. There was some appeal in dropping multiple 1000-damage Renzokuken strikes on a solitary 200hp Galbadian Soldier and hitting the damage cap in the first Laguna flashback.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

The only way to play FF8 is to junction a strong spell to your characters' HP and not heal up from yellow health. Then, when a character's turn comes up, you use a Limit. If the Limit is not up, you press Circle (or whichever button skips the turn) and repeat until you can use one. When I was younger and had even less regard for my time than I do now, I would play through FF8 never once performing an action that wasn't a Limit once the card game became available. There was some appeal in dropping multiple 1000-damage Renzokuken strikes on a solitary 200hp Galbadian Soldier and hitting the damage cap in the first Laguna flashback.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world; people who do this and people who think FF8 is awful. If you aren't spamming renzokuken and duel over and over then why even play the game?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Failboattootoot posted:

There are 2 kinds of people in the world; people who do this and people who think FF8 is awful. If you aren't spamming renzokuken and duel over and over then why even play the game?

Yes, because it's the battle system that makes people think FF8 is awful, not the terrible story or the lovely, unlikable cast.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Cannot Find Server posted:

terrible story or the lovely, unlikable cast.

This is most FF games though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Overbite posted:

This is most FF games though.

Well, of course. Every game is the worst game in the series.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

I find it hard to believe that the people who bypassed all the gameplay and then had to walk around Idiot World for 50 hours with nothing to do are the ones who had the better FF8 experience.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Speaking of VIII, I finally beat the game for the first time on Steam a week back or so.

That game has one WEIRD ending. Like, even if you don't subscribe to the Squall is dead theory the loving thing makes NO sense. Really it was probably the most unsettling ending in the series until the credit roll.

ShadeofDante fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 29, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mazed posted:

Ahhhh gently caress. So will I.

Well, maybe.

Maybe, if this actually does end up being a real game and gives the impression of being neither a stupid pretentious cash-grab like the FF7 compilation was, or a contrived recycling of assets with this unshakeable feeling of creative desperation like the FF13 sequels are, it could be worth a shot.

I seem to recall early on, when X-2 was in the planning stages, they were going to be giving Rikku her own spinoff too. What there was of that was supposedly merged into X-2, so there must not have been much of it. Still, if it were me in charge of this, I'd put Rikku in focus, since she's well-known and generally well-liked. Take Yuna and Tidus out of the picture, have Rikku doing her thing with Paine, maybe LeBlanc, and the three dudes from the different factions that X-2 had. There could be huge swathes of Spira still unexplored, and Rikku & crew would have a huge amount of resources backing them up in whatever expeditions they may take, as well as enough mixed, goofy personalities for fun interactions.

...but, who am I kidding. That's not what this is going to be. Instead it'll be all about ~love drama~.

The only good thing that might come of that is Tidus ending up exactly like Jecht. Drunken, slovenly, and a constant threat to endangered species.

Well if the drama is any indication Wakka and Lulu are more prominent this time around. At the very least this sounds like it will be another Yuna-centric story so the party will be her and one or both of the two new people and maybe Wakka/Lulu.

Thinking of my wild hopes and unlikely to be realized dreams, I'd love to have the Crimson Squad people on my team. Playable Baralai, Nooj or Gippal.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

but you shouldn't really be using any of them except Cerberus and Doomtrain in Disc 4.

Both of which are, again, beaten out by Quistis who does their jobs but better. Doomtrain has the cool factor, yeah, but he's still slow and not that great. Keep her at sub-10% HP and under Aura to maintain Crisis Level 4, and you can use Mighty Guard/Big Breath to get their exact same effects and then some. If for some reason you don't have Auto Haste then it's slower, but since you can have that on everyone from Deling City onwards there's no reason not to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Anonymous Robot posted:

So why wouldn't you want to just constantly use summons in FF8?

Because there are non-optional bosses who insta-counter summoning with an attack that does max damage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Both of which are, again, beaten out by Quistis who does their jobs but better. Doomtrain has the cool factor, yeah, but he's still slow and not that great. Keep her at sub-10% HP and under Aura to maintain Crisis Level 4, and you can use Mighty Guard/Big Breath to get their exact same effects and then some. If for some reason you don't have Auto Haste then it's slower, but since you can have that on everyone from Deling City onwards there's no reason not to.

Quistis is a great Blue-Mage. Too bad like the rest of the cast she's a terrible loving character.

FFVIII desperately needed somebody to come in and edit the gently caress out of the story because its basically a 12 year old's uninterrupted stream of consciousness doodles in their notebook. If you don't try to understand any of it and just treat it like a disjointed series of cool stuff (i.e. you are currently 8-12 years old) it approximates a story but if you look at anything for even the barest moment it collapses kollapses in on itself.

Early highlight for me is SeeD accepting the lowest priced offer from the most incompetent terrorist group and assigning their worst soldiers to it in a mission to assisinate the president of a country who who has another academy residing in it. Or, my favorite, that a 4,000 year civilization that collapsed a scant 80 years ago in a world where computer terminals exist is lost wisdom no one can comprehend.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Squall is dead thing actually made the first two discs better, noting that I didn't finish 3/4 when I replayed it; it makes certain scenes like the one where Squall is cripplingly terrified of dying and being forgotten take on another dimension and even though I can almost 100% guarantee it wasn't an intentional writing choice and there's probably something somewhere that contradicts the theory, it's still easily the best way to interpret the game. At least that means the game is addressing how hosed up it is that they're training teenagers to be career mercenaries at these crazy flying military academies with the social structures of highschool.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Or, my favorite, that a 4,000 year civilization that collapsed a scant 80 years ago in a world where computer terminals exist is lost wisdom no one can comprehend.

It's because the vast majority of people who know how to use computers in that world use them solely to post on their livejournals and call each other chickenshits over flashchat. So basically the computing world fifteen years ago.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVIII Cid is pretty much the Worst Cid. A lot of the stupidity can really all be traced back to him. Sending his newest recruits to help Rinoa kidnap the president of one of the world's two superpowers? Sure why not. As the Garden Faculty goon comments, they agreed to do that job or very little money so why not send the newbies.

And I always love the Garden Battle because it makes it abundantly clear the disparity between Balamb and Galbadia in terms of soldiering. Balamb IS essentially just a highschool full of idiots playing war and they don't know what the hell they are doing.

All of this and Cid had Future Knowledge about Squall being the hero ad he still saw fit to let him be totally hosed in the head. It's quite telling that Balamb's two prized students are both psychologically damaged.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Okay. I don't remember a lot of FF8, and I'm not very far in it yet (first Laguna sequence), but this is a story about Squall learning to be a man, forge adult relationships, and understand his debt to society by being literally trapped in the body of his father during his own conception, thus recovering his patriarchal lineage from "amnesia" of being a teenager, isn't it? All that poo poo about TIME KOMPRESSION is incidental.

Between this and the Seifer business, Eve Sedgewick shoulda played this game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Square is really making me hate the fact I can't read Japanese.

In addition to the audio drama, there is a full-fledged novel that is written after X-2 and leads up to said audio drama. It's not even a short story like the FFVII stuff or FFXIII's Episode Zero, it's 200 some odd pages so you can forget even a fan translation coming out soon. Some vague discussion of it at the bottom of this page
http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=741166&page=15

But take heart guys, this sounds even worse than the audio drama. More help from teh good people at TVTropes

quote:

There's a lot of comments about how much they feel bad for Tidus, and that Yuna acts really cold towards him. There's a few saying they hate Yuna in the novel. There's apparently a lot of sexual stuff in it. There's a scan of one page in which Tidus tells Yuna if they get into battle he might lose his fighting spirit because he's distracted by how sexy she is. And apparently Tidus gets his head blown off by a bomb and dies (and only 2 days after getting resurrected), but he comes back to life again because he's made of Pyreflies, and Yuna has control over him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 29, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFVIII dumb moment #12*:

HELLO POWERFUL WIZARD WHO RULES THE COUNTRY I LIVE IN AND I'M TRYING TO ASSASSINATE, DID I MENTION MY FATHER IS A GENERAL IN YOUR ARMY? I HAVE A GIFT FOR YOU I COULDN'T GIVE YOU WHEN I WAS RECENTLY FILMED TRYING TO KILL YOU AND YOUR FIGUREHEAD PUPPET DICTATOR. WHY DIDN'T THIS WORK????

*At least, I'm not actually counting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you were counting there is no way you'd be only to 12.

NikkolasKing posted:

But take heart guys, this sounds even worse than the audio drama. More help from teh good people at TVTropes

I would basically ignore that. Japan has a habit of releasing "light novels" for various products which are inevitably grimmer, darker, and stupider than anything in the product and often go completely unreferenced in anything else. They're farmed out to lovely writers who inevitably go for stupid shock value poo poo to draw in the fans, and often includes more sex and violence just because they can get away with it when they couldn't on television.

Basically you know the Star Wars EU? It's like that at its worst.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 29, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a lot of comments about how much they feel bad for Tidus, and that Yuna acts really cold towards him. There's a few saying they hate Yuna in the novel. There's apparently a lot of sexual stuff in it. There's a scan of one page in which Tidus tells Yuna if they get into battle he might lose his fighting spirit because he's distracted by how sexy she is. And apparently Tidus gets his head blown off by a bomb and dies (and only 2 days after getting resurrected), but he comes back to life again because he's made of Pyreflies, and Yuna has control over him.

What the actual gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah there is absolutely no way because immediately following that the evil soceress delivers a speech to a cheering crowd expecting her to help start a global peace process with "You worthless lowlifes" and then goes on to kill the president infront of a crowd then says she'll start a reign of terror from their Nightmares.

AND THEY KEEP CHEERING.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Barudak posted:

Yeah there is absolutely no way because immediately following that the evil soceress delivers a speech to a cheering crowd expecting her to help start a global peace process with "You worthless lowlifes" and then goes on to kill the president infront of a crowd then says she'll start a reign of terror from their Nightmares.

AND THEY KEEP CHEERING.

They probably forgot to turn the mic on.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Barudak posted:

AND THEY KEEP CHEERING.

This sounds less like a problem and more like the game being dope.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

This sounds less like a problem and more like the game being dope.

Like I said, if you approach the game like a series of barely connected cool moments it works really well. Its just looking at it as anything other than a bunch of individual setpieces the whole thing makes no sense whatsoever.

I mean, the creator god of FFVIII is a sorceress but people hate them for some reason. In fact, despite the heroes winning they do the literal exact same thing as the villain wants to accomplish except its ok because they're the good guys.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Final Fantasy VIII is an avant-garde masterpiece. It doesn't need the constraints of a linear narrative, and is stronger for rejecting them. This is why it is the best game in the series.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

NikkolasKing posted:

<something horrible>

:psyduck:

No surprise where this came from, as it sounds like TVTropes being :tvtropes:...yet apparently this got Square-Enix's stamp of approval somewhere. Way to completely loving ruin any appreciation we had for these characters.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Like I said, if you approach the game like a series of barely connected cool moments it works really well. Its just looking at it as anything other than a bunch of individual setpieces the whole thing makes no sense whatsoever.

I mean, the creator god of FFVIII is a sorceress but people hate them for some reason. In fact, despite the heroes winning they do the literal exact same thing as the villain wants to accomplish except its ok because they're the good guys.

Hyne was a man-sorcerer who set fire to children!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

Hyne was a man-sorcerer who set fire to children!

I believe you mean small tools.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

People in FFVIII probably hate sorceresses because this is the only one most know about

In addition to being a 12 feet tall bodybuilder, she sent out her goosn to kidnap children from all over the world and started a war.

So you can see why the good people of....unnamed FFVIII planet fear Sorceresses. Plus, as seen with the fact Centra is a "lost civilization" after less than a century, I guess the population just doesn't have good memory and Adel is the only Sorceres anyoen can recall.

ImpAtom posted:

I would basically ignore that. Japan has a habit of releasing "light novels" for various products which are inevitably grimmer, darker, and stupider than anything in the product and often go completely unreferenced in anything else. They're farmed out to lovely writers who inevitably go for stupid shock value poo poo to draw in the fans, and often includes more sex and violence just because they can get away with it when they couldn't on television.

Makes sense. I sure hope you're right and this isn't any type of canon. Or if it is, I can just completely ignore it as it's inconsequential.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Makes sense. I sure hope you're right and this isn't any type of canon. Or if it is, I can just completely ignore it as it's inconsequential.

It's really worth remembering that Japanese fiction doesn't have the same idea of 'canon.' The reference I made to the Star Wars stuff was there because that is the closest I can think of to a coherent simile where you have a bunch of what amounts to fanfiction that the creators can acknowledge, change, ignore or alter at their whim. Just because something exists in a Japanese spinoff novel or manga doesn't mean anything else is going to acknowledge it.

(Truth be told, it's actually more likely that it is going to be ignored because it almost always is.)

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Has anyone here read any of the Japanese novelizations of the games? I know II and IV had them, don't know about the rest, but it'd be interesting to hear how different they are.

I think there was a manga for IV also, but holy hell that sounds like it would be super melodramatic, even for a manga.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ImpAtom posted:

Let's see, the author of the (atrocious) novel is... Kazunari Nojima, whos worked with... Advent Children?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Has anyone here read any of the Japanese novelizations of the games? I know II and IV had them, don't know about the rest, but it'd be interesting to hear how different they are.

I think there was a manga for IV also, but holy hell that sounds like it would be super melodramatic, even for a manga.

There's also novelizations for FFI, III (and a manga adaption). No idea of the quality of any of them.

What little I know of FFII's novel, is that Amano did some illustrations for it, it gave the Emperor a canonical name, Mateus, and that it's different enough from the game story (there's something about Mateus' mother trying to stop him, because the throne-line of Palamecia is cursed to have rear end-hole dictators or something). They cut a load of characters too, not that I can blame them.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 30, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Let's see, the author of the (atrocious) novel is... Kazunari Nojima, whos worked with... Advent Children?

Nojima was the main writer of VII, VIII and X. "Scenario writer" is his official title I believe. But anyway he's the guy who really calls the shots with FFX and it's his thoughts in the FFX-2 Ultimania that FFVII and FFX take place in the same universe as Shinra (X-2) has descendants who travel into space after learning how to use the Farplane as a power source.

I know there were a couple tie-in novellas for the Compilation of FFVII. Also FFXII has a manga aaptation but all I ever hear about that is it's whacky and full of Ashe panty fanservice and stuff.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 30, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

NikkolasKing posted:

Nojima was the main writer of VII, VIII and X. "Scenario writer" is his official title I believe. But anyway he's the guy who really calls the shots with FFX and it's his thoughts in the FFX-2 Ultimania that FFVII and FFX take place in the same universe as Shinra (X-2) has descendants who travel into space after learning how to use the Farplane as a power source.

Hm, I see. Some call him Kazushige, and some call him Kazunari, so I got confused.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Barudak posted:

AND THEY KEEP CHEERING.

I've always imagined that she was mind-controlling the crowd the same way she was controlling Rinoa. The speech was only for laughs.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Barudak posted:

FFVIII dumb moment #12*:

HELLO POWERFUL WIZARD WHO RULES THE COUNTRY I LIVE IN AND I'M TRYING TO ASSASSINATE, DID I MENTION MY FATHER IS A GENERAL IN YOUR ARMY? I HAVE A GIFT FOR YOU I COULDN'T GIVE YOU WHEN I WAS RECENTLY FILMED TRYING TO KILL YOU AND YOUR FIGUREHEAD PUPPET DICTATOR. WHY DIDN'T THIS WORK????

The part that made me realize how absolutely dogshit the game was is the part where you're in space and about to run out of oxygen and then HEY LOOK A LOST SPACESHIP HOW LUCKY FOR ME. Oh, and I know how to fly it too, awesome, what a happy thing to happen!

That one moment alone would have killed any story-driven game for me, but after all the other really stupid poo poo that had happened up to that point, it pushed the game over the edge into 'least favorite game ever made' territory. I'd played games that were worse made than FF8 (hell, worse Final Fantasy games, like FF2 for example), but FF8 just treats its audience like a bunch of complete loving retards. It's doubly awful because there were a few shining moments of good, like the garden battle, but for every one of those things there were dozens of things that were so amateurishly written and/or poorly explained.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Barudak posted:

FFVIII dumb moment #12*:

I'm personally fond of "Basement-dwelling Garden-Founder NORG, who has supreme executive control of the Garden even though none of the students had ever heard of him, sets the staff lose on a homicidal rampage through the school to find Cid. They fail because they never think to look in his office. Hours later, Cid shows up in NORG's cellar apartment voluntarily, throws a hissy fit and calls NORG an rear end in a top hat, then walks off completely unmolested. Instead, NORG decides to kill some students who happened to be standing nearby. The students murder him with no consequences and NORG is never mentioned again."

Folt The Bolt posted:

I know in some areas of Japanese culture it's common to list a supervisor or superior as having created something even if they weren't really involved (e.g. listing a company president as an inventor on a patent when they didn't actually contribute to the invention at all). Anybody know if they might put Nojima down as the writer even if he didn't actually write it?

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

FFVIII dumb moment #12*:

My favorite was when an elite team of mercenaries decided that performing their mission to assassinate an insane brutal despot was of lower priority than apologizing to a teenage girl for hurting her feelings.