Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Indie games and Civ-esque stuff, mostly. I'd mostly be interested in things where a decent session could fit into a train ride or a lunch break at the park or something. I'm basically looking to replace an aging ipad with something with more versatility and storage space - though I'm willing to pay extra for a bit of extra power.

indie gaming is fine, the latest Civs won't work on integrated graphics well. Civ 6 not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

EVIL NOONER posted:

i would ask what you're going to be doing with it and also consider models that maybe dont come with 32 but are upgradeable to it

i'm a developer. i currently use a mbpr with 16gb and it's impeding my work. i also work remote and travel a lot so i'd like something small and light if possible that can drive multiple monitors when i'm at my office

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

indie gaming is fine, the latest Civs won't work on integrated graphics well. Civ 6 not at all.

Civ6 is playable at 1080p and minimum or low "performance impact", like 15-20fps in the benchmark. Not great, but for a turn based strategy it's ok. The load times are pretty bad though even with a 512GB SSD.

E: Kaby Lake but should be pretty similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZLEm3o9R5A&t=870s

the talent deficit posted:

i'm a developer. i currently use a mbpr with 16gb and it's impeding my work. i also work remote and travel a lot so i'd like something small and light if possible that can drive multiple monitors when i'm at my office
Well, the T460, P/T560 or XPS are your best options probably. Also at least the 460 has both mini DP and HDMI ports so you can drive two monitors even without a dock.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 30, 2016

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Civ6 is playable at 1080p and minimum or low "performance impact", like 15-20fps in the benchmark. Not great, but for a turn based strategy it's ok. The load times are pretty bad though even with a 512GB SSD.

E: Kaby Lake but should be pretty similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZLEm3o9R5A&t=870s

I'm debating between the Spectre X360 or a T460s with a Geforce 930m, and the only gaming that I really have an interest in laptop-wise is Civ 6. It'd be a huge bonus if I could get it running reasonably well on low settings, but I can't tell if the 930m would actually be any better than Kaby Lake's integrated graphics. Anyone have any suggestions?

eames
May 9, 2009

motherbox posted:

I'm debating between the Spectre X360 or a T460s with a Geforce 930m, and the only gaming that I really have an interest in laptop-wise is Civ 6. It'd be a huge bonus if I could get it running reasonably well on low settings, but I can't tell if the 930m would actually be any better than Kaby Lake's integrated graphics. Anyone have any suggestions?

Notebookcheck.net is a good site for this type of comparisons.

here is a link to these two GPUs. here are some actual framerates in games.

looking at the big list they are pretty close on rank 198 and 202.

eames fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 30, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

motherbox posted:

You'll probably want to get a T460p which had an option for a 940m if I remember correctly.

I distinctly remember reading reviews of Civ 6 that said that while you could get away with integrated at the beginning of the game,by the end no combination of resolution or graphics settings make it playable.

However, the old XPS 15 has a 960m I believe, and you should be able to get one for cheaper these days.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Civ 5 works well enough on my 1st gen Surface (meaning it's playable even though battery life is poo poo as you'd expect.) I'd think any recent gen integrated chipset could handle it.

Probably not Civ 6 though.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there a Windows equivalent of BetterTouchTool that lets you assign additional track pad gestures on a Windows laptop? I use things like tip tap left/right and say, three and four finger taps pretty frequently on my Macbook and am wondering if I'm stuck with Apple because of this.

I found https://www.multiswipe.com/ but it looks kind of sketchy and the scant reviews I could find suggests that it's kinda janky.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

monster on a stick posted:

Civ 5 works well enough on my 1st gen Surface (meaning it's playable even though battery life is poo poo as you'd expect.) I'd think any recent gen integrated chipset could handle it.

Probably not Civ 6 though.

civ 6 really relies on cpu more than ever if you dont want to wait several minutes for the ai turns. Fast move and fast combat are a must to shorten it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the market for a cheap productivity laptop, nothing at all fancy, and was leaning towards the Acer Chromebook 15 recommended by the Wirecutter. I'd like a larger screen, and the additional weight doesn't bother me. I'm also a Google fanboy. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on it?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

If I'm not doing video rendering/desktop virtualization/intensive photo editing, is there any reason to go above 8GBs of RAM for my laptop?

I'd be using my machine mostly as an entertainment machine (hd movies, internet, 2d games, and light coding).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Depends on what price range and lifespan you expect from the laptop, if you are buying something the least bit nice I think it may be best to go 16 GB still, as the marginal cost is not even that great, but if you are planning to just get something cheap and get a few years out of it I indeed don't expect you will feel the constraint from the 8 GB at the word go.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is there a generally accepted 'best cheapest developer laptop?' It's for an intro programming course (Java).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I don't think so, the basic requirements for development work are not very complex: don't go below 13" because a lot of development tools like their screen real estate, and make sure the keyboard is one you can stand to type on without making mistakes. A lot of stuff can fit that bill.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Accretionist posted:

Is there a generally accepted 'best cheapest developer laptop?' It's for an intro programming course (Java).

Java 101 can be done just fine on everything from an 8 year old Macbook to a Chromebook running Ubuntu to a Black Friday special Windows shitbox from Walmart.

What other requirements do you have? Look for a used business laptop if you've got a tiny budget and except this thing to last a couple years.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Can you get away with Crouton + Ubuntu on a 2 gb chromebook?

Because if so, a bottom-rung Chromebook would be ideal.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 31, 2016

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Will a 960/980 run WoW fine, or should I look into getting a 1060? I've looked at the MSI and Asus 1060 offerings (Stealth Pro, Strix) and they both look like good machines, but I am worried about heat. I have a dedicated gaming PC and do a lot of streaming in home through Steam, so I don't necessarily need a powerhouse, but I do want to be able to take my laptop on the go to play WoW/Mobas/maybe some Overwatch when I head over to my buds places.

Any thoughts on something that mike work? I can probably spend up to $1500-1600, would prefer cheaper. A lot of these gaming laptops look like they're actually decent machines nowadays, but buying a 10 pound monster just feels wrong to me when all I wanna do is kill some demon. And I also don't want to burn my lap off~

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Accretionist posted:

It installs but I get the feeling eclipse or intellij would just kinda make it explode.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Quidthulhu posted:

Will a 960/980 run WoW fine, or should I look into getting a 1060? I've looked at the MSI and Asus 1060 offerings (Stealth Pro, Strix) and they both look like good machines, but I am worried about heat. I have a dedicated gaming PC and do a lot of streaming in home through Steam, so I don't necessarily need a powerhouse, but I do want to be able to take my laptop on the go to play WoW/Mobas/maybe some Overwatch when I head over to my buds places.

Any thoughts on something that mike work? I can probably spend up to $1500-1600, would prefer cheaper. A lot of these gaming laptops look like they're actually decent machines nowadays, but buying a 10 pound monster just feels wrong to me when all I wanna do is kill some demon. And I also don't want to burn my lap off~

Integrated GPU running WOW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGrFSuukfYI

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Quidthulhu posted:

I would recommend grabbing a Stealth Pro or an Aorus x3 if you can swing it, but a 960m laptop will definitely run Overwatch, Mobas, and WoW. A 970m laptop will be significantly better however, in terms of dGPU grunt

As someone who had both a gaming laptop and a desktop, I often found myself using the laptop simply out of convenience.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
I just need a smaller (~13") and sturdier computer than my lenovo 410p for the ever popular word/powerpoint/very light photoshop use/youtube/netflix combo. I bought my partner a asus ux305ca-uhm1 which is pretty decent and seems sturdy for 600$ a while back and was wondering if there were any options I was missing other than finding a x230 with the ips screen (seems to be about 350$ with ssd/ips) instead and saving money but getting a backlit keyboard with some more weight.

I would realistically like to stay around $500 with the asus topping out the budget at 600.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Accretionist posted:

See if you can find a refurbished Thinkpad T430 with the 1600x900 screen for under $300

After a couple of months when you fall in love with it, buy a new 9 cell battery for it for $60 and reliably get 8 hours battery life out of it

Option B is to buy a Dell XPS 13 for ~800

But yeah there's no reason you can't do dev work on a $149 Chromebook (unlocked running Crouton). Having a good laptop with a good keyboard (the first two laptops I mentioned) is very important so you can think about your code/assignment, rather than the keys are slightly smaller than you like.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Quidthulhu posted:

In my experience, an i5-6200U (HD 520) with dual-channel 2133MHz RAM will run WoW on 1080p/low acceptably - steady 30+ but not 60+ FPS. A 1060 can get steady 60+ set to 4K at medium-high settings or 1080p with everything maxed out, so if you can do that I would recommend it. A 980M would be a bit worse and a 960M would be noticeably worse but still better than integrated.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Can someone explain what to look for in a triple monitor laptop docking station

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've got a Razer Blade on the way with 256GB installed because I don't want to pay Razer the premium for higher space, I'm not even sure if the laptop supports NVMe or not but if it does, am I safe just putting any m.2 SSD in the slot? I'm not even sure if it comes with an NVMe drive by default.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've got a Razer Blade on the way with 256GB installed because I don't want to pay Razer the premium for higher space, I'm not even sure if the laptop supports NVMe or not but if it does, am I safe just putting any m.2 SSD in the slot? I'm not even sure if it comes with an NVMe drive by default.

If you bought the 2016 ("The New") version, then the blade comes with a Samsung PM951, which is a standard NVMe M.2 SSD. You should be able to swap it out with another NVMe M.2 SSD like the Samsung 960 Evo or w/e.

If owning a Razer product wasn't deeply embarrassing I'd consider saving up for one. Let us know how you like it.

e.

Ultrabookreview posted:

One thing this laptop lacks (and all the prior Razer laptops for that matter) is a memory card reader. I understand they are minimalists like Apple, but even Apple includes an SD card slot…

:rolleye:

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 1, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Actuarial Fables posted:

If you bought the 2016 ("The New") version, then the blade comes with a Samsung PM951, which is a standard NVMe M.2 SSD. You should be able to swap it out with another NVMe M.2 SSD like the Samsung 960 Evo or w/e.

If owning a Razer product wasn't deeply embarrassing I'd consider saving up for one. Let us know how you like it.

I'll report in, it should be shipping out tomorrow but Razer has piss-poor communications. It's the New one, so would I only be able to get NVMe or could I get a slower m.2? I'd like 1TB but I don't want to pay double the price when I'm not going to be doing any video editing and whatnot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I'm in the market for a cheap productivity laptop, nothing at all fancy, and was leaning towards the Acer Chromebook 15 recommended by the Wirecutter. I'd like a larger screen, and the additional weight doesn't bother me. I'm also a Google fanboy. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on it?

The CB 15 is nice for what it is, a solid CB at a great price. Its gimmick is that it's the CB with the largest display, but it also is available with surprisingly powerful hardware. Confusingly and unnecessarily there are many different models, but all you really have to do is avoid the ones with the HD display or 2 GB of RAM (and any Celeron Nxxxx CPUs.) The Celeron 3205, 4 GB of RAM, and FHD display is a solid combination, although there are i3 and i5 models if you so desire. The FHD display isn't that far above average (compared to, for example, the FHD display on the Toshiba CB2 or the high-res displays on the Pixel and HP CB 13) but is, again, good for the price.

Accretionist posted:

Please, nobody consider any PC, ChromeOS, Windows, or otherwise, with only 2 GB of RAM. If you are in the market for a CB pay a little extra for 4 GB of RAM; you'll thank me later.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

The CB 15 is nice for what it is, a solid CB at a great price. Its gimmick is that it's the CB with the largest display, but it also is available with surprisingly powerful hardware. Confusingly and unnecessarily there are many different models, but all you really have to do is avoid the ones with the HD display or 2 GB of RAM (and any Celeron Nxxxx CPUs.) The Celeron 3205, 4 GB of RAM, and FHD display is a solid combination, although there are i3 and i5 models if you so desire. The FHD display isn't that far above average (compared to, for example, the FHD display on the Toshiba CB2 or the high-res displays on the Pixel and HP CB 13) but is, again, good for the price.

Please, nobody consider any PC, ChromeOS, Windows, or otherwise, with only 2 GB of RAM. If you are in the market for a CB pay a little extra for 4 GB of RAM; you'll thank me later.
Thank you for the advice. I went ahead and pulled the trigger (4GB, FHD). "Good for the price" is exactly what I'm looking for, and I don't really want to shell out that much more for the i3 or i5.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'll report in, it should be shipping out tomorrow but Razer has piss-poor communications. It's the New one, so would I only be able to get NVMe or could I get a slower m.2? I'd like 1TB but I don't want to pay double the price when I'm not going to be doing any video editing and whatnot.

From what I can google, it looks as though it'll only take NVMe drives. An aftermarket 1tb NVMe drive will still be cheaper than the upgrade options Razer is offering though, and you could sell the old drive to recoup some of the costs if it all works. Not sure if replacing the drive will mess with the 1 year warranty, might need it in the system.

e.

Razer posted:

Will I void the warranty by opening or upgrading my Razer Blade's components on my own?
Yes, opening the Razer Blade will void your warranty. If there are any issues with your Razer Blade, please contact your local Razer System Support Team by viewing the links the left side of the page.

Maybe see if you can go along with your 256gb for a year until the warranty is done?

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 1, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys

I need to buy a computer for my company that can run AutoCAD. Looking to spend around $1000 (cheaper is better!) and have it about 17". Should i go with one of the ones that are listed in the OP?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

signalnoise posted:

Can someone explain what to look for in a triple monitor laptop docking station

what laptop do you have and are you counting the laptop screen as one of those monitors? Do your monitors support daisy chaining DisplayPort?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Calidus posted:

what laptop do you have and are you counting the laptop screen as one of those monitors? Do your monitors support daisy chaining DisplayPort?

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE62VR-Apache-Pro-001-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IO9Y3A6

No idea about the display port daisy chain, I honestly don't know what that is. I will be using 3 independent monitors, gently caress laptop screens.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

signalnoise posted:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE62VR-Apache-Pro-001-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IO9Y3A6

No idea about the display port daisy chain, I honestly don't know what that is. I will be using 3 independent monitors, gently caress laptop screens.

There's monitors that have both a displayport input and output, and these can be used to connect multiple monitors connected to each other. For example, recent Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitors all have this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NZTKOQI/

This way you could run 2 monitors off of 1 displayport, and the 3rd off of HDMI or something if your laptop doesn't support a real dock.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Actuarial Fables posted:

From what I can google, it looks as though it'll only take NVMe drives. An aftermarket 1tb NVMe drive will still be cheaper than the upgrade options Razer is offering though, and you could sell the old drive to recoup some of the costs if it all works. Not sure if replacing the drive will mess with the 1 year warranty, might need it in the system.

e.

Maybe see if you can go along with your 256gb for a year until the warranty is done?

Thanks, I just hope there's no "void if removed" stickers I have to gently caress with to replace the drive.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Why does this thread seem to be against 2-in-1's? Not the detachable keyboard variety because I can understand not wanting that, but the 360 rotation ones? It just seems like the natural progression of laptops and you don't ever have to use it as a tablet if you don't want to.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Why does this thread seem to be against 2-in-1's? Not the detachable keyboard variety because I can understand not wanting that, but the 360 rotation ones? It just seems like the natural progression of laptops and you don't ever have to use it as a tablet if you don't want to.

would you want inspector gadgets 2 in 1 car if you were only ever gonna use the cool sporty version and never the van?

would you??

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

They're not bad if you're actually going to use both modes, but if you're only going to use it as a laptop then you end up paying a premium for the convertible functionality that goes unused. Plus the fact that they're more awkward (bulky/heavy, often while having to grip the keyboard on the back) in tablet mode than an acutal tablet, and in laptop mode they could possibly be less durable (in terms of the hinge design, particularly if it's of the 180° twist-around type) than a regular laptop. Also, a convertible is probably heavier/bulkier than a regular laptop of identical specs, in addition to being more expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I like convertibles/2-in-1s, but it doesn't make sense to get one if you're not going to use the capabilities. It's kind of like when someone buys a laptop that they use exclusively as a desktop replacement, when they could've spent less money and gotten better hardware just by buying an actual desktop.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hybrid anything tends to be bad, as a rule. For the most part, I'd rather sleep on an equivalent-priced sofa over a sofa-bed, because sofa-beds are usually crappy sofas, and crappy beds.

Rather than shell out for a hybrid laptop-tablet, I'm going to buy a tablet and a laptop. Yeah, the downside is I have to carry two devices at times, but the user experience will be a lot better for a similar price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I actually quite liked my hp stream 11, which was a cheap convertible. Of course it was also eleven inches and I didn't really use the tablet feature all that often. It was a fun gimmick though, and my brother who I gave it to makes use of it a lot to read comics.