Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do you like best
This poll is closed.
pics 69 0.39%
vids 420 2.40%
gazza.txt 8008 45.77%
havin yer mam 9001 51.44%
Total: 17498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Semi-pro hockey in England is probably at best on par with average high school hockey in the US to be fair.

So UK Hockey is like US Football? Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bundy posted:

So UK Hockey is like US Football? Cool.

I feel like you should get a 24 hour probation for this post, it's so loving tired and unfunny.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

I feel like you should get a 24 hour probation for this post, it's so loving tired and unfunny.

Either this is some odd jab at me pulling you up for throwing "mong" around, or, I've misstepped without realising and would welcome a correction?

That or you just find it preferable to vent at internet people. In which case my DMs are open, friend.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 15, 2019

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bundy posted:

Either this is some odd jab at me pulling you up for throwing "mong" around, or, I've misstepped without realising and would welcome a correction?

The whole "Well actually soccer is just like X american sport" type thing might actually be banned? I don't really know but don't do it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

pik_d posted:

The whole "Well actually soccer is just like X american sport" type thing might actually be banned? I don't really know but don't do it

I'm honestly unaware of that being a thing. I saw a cheap "fuckin lol the MLS" joke and took it. :pwn:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Let’s all just get along

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Let’s all just get along

pik_d posted:

It isn’t banned but you should expect to be ridiculed for it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

It isn’t banned but you should expect to be ridiculed for it.

37 year old Petr Cech is playing "competitive" ice hockey in England and I'm not supposed to ridicule that?

I also compared ice hockey to ice hockey. I'm willing to bet Ninpo knows more about netball than he does ice hockey.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Shrapnig posted:

37 year old Petr Cech is playing "competitive" ice hockey in England and I'm not supposed to ridicule that?

I also compared ice hockey to ice hockey. I'm willing to bet Ninpo knows more about netball than he does ice hockey.

No but you should expect ridicule for your lack of reading comprehension because how did you come to the conclusion that GG was talking about your post??

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

pik_d posted:

No but you should expect ridicule for your lack of reading comprehension because how did you come to the conclusion that GG was talking about your post??

Lol seriously shrap, I was literally agreeing with you!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Lol seriously shrap, I was literally agreeing with you!

I realize this now, I'm not going to edit my post because lol, editing poo poo.

I'm about 13 hours into work for the day, the brain is not doing comprehension well.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

I realize this now, I'm not going to edit my post because lol, editing poo poo.

I'm about 13 hours into work for the day, the brain is not doing comprehension well.

:cheers:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

So...MLS is full of loving clowns. We're agreed on that yeah? Cos that was my joke.

Like go right ahead and laugh at Betr Cech, I was literally praying more puns would come from his move to Ice Hockey. I was honestly just going for "lol MLS" though, so apologies if that's a tired jab BUT I DO NOT THINK SO MWAHAHA

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bundy posted:

So...MLS is full of loving clowns. We're agreed on that yeah? Cos that was my joke.

Like go right ahead and laugh at Betr Cech, I was literally praying more puns would come from his move to Ice Hockey. I was honestly just going for "lol MLS" though, so apologies if that's a tired jab BUT I DO NOT THINK SO MWAHAHA

You made a post a couple days ago saying "can we at least make funny posts" and are now double downing on your loving lowest common denominator lovely post.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

You made a post a couple days ago saying "can we at least make funny posts" and are now double downing on your loving lowest common denominator lovely post.

Are you mad I took a dig at MLS? Or that I puilled you up on the "mong" thing? Because your tired poo poo makes no loving sense otherwise. I said already, if you need to vent, DMs are open.

There's actual post history to suggest I was following a thread here. You seem somewhat bent on scoring a dunk on me. By all means go for it, but you keep missing the mark and I'm concerned.

(my lowest denominator post isn't making GBS threads on the disabled that can't do poo poo about their poo poo, so, yanno, there's a BIT of a difference...)

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 15, 2019

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

here's a pretty cool soccer ball

maybe it'll get kicked one day :unsmith:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Don’t have a slapfight in this thread please. You’re both better than this.

Wirth1000 posted:

here's a pretty cool soccer ball

maybe it'll get kicked one day :unsmith:

Van_persie_whiff.gif

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Don’t have a slapfight in this thread please. You’re both better than this.

Van_persie_whiff.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0IGvPzu7no

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Let's kick racism out of football IMO

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Peter CrossCech lmao

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

This is a REALLY good interview with Duncan Castles, a journo that's written about United for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrrtgyTae4

This was fantastic. I know Duncan Castles is almost a swear word for many United supporters, but he made excellent points about Jose's time at United, the problems at United and the club's future.

Definitely worth watching.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

This was fantastic. I know Duncan Castles is almost a swear word for many United supporters, but he made excellent points about Jose's time at United, the problems at United and the club's future.

Definitely worth watching.

If you enjoyed that, Howson's chat with Ollie Kay was good as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndm_Z50pLsg

One thing I think Woodward shot himself in the foot with regarding Ole's appointment, is fewer of the pundit pros are going after Ole with the results and are pointing fingers at the ownership instead, something that didn't happen as much with Mourinho. I believe the Heil on Sunday did a piece about Woodward's failings this weekend.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

One thing I think Woodward shot himself in the foot with regarding Ole's appointment, is fewer of the pundit pros are going after Ole with the results and are pointing fingers at the ownership instead, something that didn't happen as much with Mourinho. I believe the Heil on Sunday did a piece about Woodward's failings this weekend.

That's definitely true. It seems like the wheel has finally turned, because according to the Duncan Castles interview this poo poo's been going on at United for years now and a lof of the people "in the know" have known all along.

Since I don't expect many people to listen to the Castles interview, here's a brief overview.

- Jose's job at United was to win the title. That's the task he was brought on to accomplish, to bring quick success back to the club.

- In Jose's time at United, he'd submit a list of players he wanted at United, and then Woodward promptly turned around and told his own scouts to essentially find similar (but cheaper) alternatives.

- This was a problem because "let's buy cheap players and see if they turn out to be good in 4 years" isn't compatible with "hey, your job is to win the league within the next two years".

- Jose, understandably, wasn't too thrilled with this and started getting frustrated with the "I know you said you need a top player to improve on your second place finish and to cut the 19 point deficit down, but how about this first division player instead?" transfer antics at United.

- Duncan Castles brings up what pretty much everyone here has been saying all along: at that point it was a crucial failure that United don't have a director of football or anyone in the Txiki Begiristain role who could take Woodward aside and tell him, "we actually do need this player. Trust my football knowledge when I say we need to spend big here in order to be more successful" and instead it's the manager alone arguing against a board who largely don't care about football and are in it only to make money, at a club led by a man who doesn't understand anything about football because he's a banker who's in the job only as a thank you for helping the new owners negotiate their deal for the club.

He had a couple of other tasty tidbits to offer as well.

- When Fergie left, Jose was his chosen successor. The club and him were already in advanced talks when Abramovic heard about this, and offered Jose the job back so he wouldn't go to a rival club, and because Jose wanted to prove himself after getting fired for the first time, and because he wanted to stay with his family in London, he agreed. Moyes was very much a last minute panic pick.

- When Moyes was fired, the United board had several options to replace him, but Woodward got to make the choice by himself, and picked Van Gaal based on his strong international showing the summer before, not realizing his club management philosophy and style weren't compatible with United's team, or their plans for the future.

The arrow couldn't be pointing any more squarely at Woodward if you hired someone to fly a banner with an arrow pointing at him over Old Trafford for the next year. It's not news to United supporters at this point, but the level to which he's undermined United managers (and presumably keeps doing so) is utterly baffling.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 15, 2019

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
let us cleanse your pallet with this mouthwatering mud pie of a clip
https://twitter.com/forgottengoals/status/1183994533958344704

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Der Shovel posted:

- In Jose's time at United, he'd submit a list of players he wanted at United, and then Woodward promptly turned around and told his own scouts to essentially find similar (but cheaper) alternatives.

- This was a problem because "let's buy cheap players and see if they turn out to be good in 4 years" isn't compatible with "hey, your job is to win the league within the next two years".

This is absolute bollocks. During Jose's time at United, they spent £166.50m, £178.56m and £74.43m including a British transfer record.

edit: For reference, in those same seasons, City spent £192.15m, £285.75m and £70.73m so there's only one season where they massively outspent them with their bottomless funds. Liverpool spent £71.91m, £156.49m and £163.98m in those seasons.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 15, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pogba, Lukaku, and Fred, cheaper alternatives to who exactly?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Every couple of days Der Shovel shows up and says that United aren't spending enough money. It's the weirdest thing. It's like he's going back and slamming his head into a wall until he forgets the last time he said it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Er, isn't Duncan Castles Jose's best mate in the media? Does loads of puff pieces about him, gets fed information from him, etc. etc.?

Yeah not surprised he's going to blame everything on Ed Woodward.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
EDIT: probably shouldn’t

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Er, isn't Duncan Castles Jose's best mate in the media? Does loads of puff pieces about him, gets fed information from him, etc. etc.?

That's the one.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

OK, so let's talk about football, without tribal lines (as in, I'm looking for more than 'pooshited' out of your answer).

Who's fault is it, if not Woodward's? He picked van Gaal and Mourinho (eventually). Why did neither of them succeed?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Can we take this to the Prem thread? Post some proper content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuwLXxxQHUk

To win the 2000 Opening Tournament and visited the difficult Plaza de Pasco square. More than 4 thousand meters high and an almost impossible place for everyone trying to steal at least one point. But the Argentine attacker made it possible, 16 years ago.

He did it with a remarkable career of almost 70 meters. Beto Carranza did not care about the height, the cold (he played with gloves and even a chullo), and the lack of oxygen. He wanted to win and began that fast race that ended up making the effort of the local goalkeeper useless. Goal, oxygen mask, and title for Universitario.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EvilHawk posted:

Well more like he's usually United's unofficial mouthpiece in the media, and that's why he's in such low regard with many United supporters. It's usually assumed that the stuff that comes out of his pen is directly fed by briefings from Woodward, which is why it's pretty huge that he's openly dunking on Ed.

As for his relationship with Jose, he talks about that on the interview as well, and says that because he got his start covering football in Japan back when Jose was there, and got an "in" with the Portuguese press (and learned Portuguese) as well, he's privy to a lot of information others might not be. The way he described it, he's not mates with Jose, but he's mates with people who are mates with Jose.

I'm not in the business of making excuses for Jose. I think he kind of lost his head in Spain and has been flailing at shadows ever since. He absolutely had to go and dug his own grave by taking his fight with Woodward public. But it's still interesting to hear a dimension beyond "Portuguese mentalist goes mental, burns every bridge in sight".

And like Bundy says, if not Woodward, then who? It's blatantly obvious that Ed's the problem at United. The Glazers are extremely hands off these days, so Woodward runs the show. He picks the managers, he signs off on players (and apparently not nearly always the players his managers wanted, but instead the players "his" scouts picked as suitable alternatives).

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bundy posted:

OK, so let's talk about football, without tribal lines (as in, I'm looking for more than 'pooshited' out of your answer).

Who's fault is it, if not Woodward's? He picked van Gaal and Mourinho (eventually). Why did neither of them succeed?

Woodward isn't blameless at all. He's pretty useless, but the argument that the club aren't spending and that Jose was living off scraps is ludicrous.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mickolution posted:

Woodward isn't blameless at all. He's pretty useless, but the argument that the club aren't spending and that Jose was living off scraps is ludicrous.

Castles doesn't make that argument. He makes a point of saying United are at the very top end of spending since Woodward was appointed.

He spends a lot of money on bad signings and new contracts to tie barely good enough players to the club.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

Castles doesn't make that argument. He makes a point of saying United are at the very top end of spending since Woodward was appointed.

He spends a lot of money on bad signings and new contracts to tie barely good enough players to the club.

Right ok, I didn't watch the interview. I was going off the post that said that in relation to the video.

We all know Woodward is useless, but lately he's been taking a lot of the blame that should be going Solskjaer's way.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Double post, but this is actually the correct thread for this.

David Squires has chosen 25 of his favourite cartoons and you can purchase prints. Not had a chance to look through them all yet other than the ones in the gallery, but they're as great as you'd imagine. Links to the full strips are in the caption.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2019/oct/16/buy-a-classic-david-squires-cartoon-from-our-collection

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Alec Ferguson’s ghost is to blame. Manu have to do their stint in the desert for a while just like Liverpool did before they can get over not being the manu of old. Hopefully they get little bit lost and do a Leeds instead.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Actual content
https://twitter.com/i/status/1184201732856991745

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
It's hard to decide what was more remarkable about Mexes, his random wonder goals, or his fashion sense.