Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
hero stacking is awful and if it runs off all the single hero career shitties than so be it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

objects in mirror posted:

LOL

They're getting rid of hero stacking?

Screw the League of Legends/Dota 2 players wanting to turn this SHOOTER into their new moba.

I feel that getting rid of hero stacking will hamper the dynamism of this game and create more conflict between team members.

Only in competitive friend

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ana is seriously Just Fun and is easily the game's most satisfying healer to play. There's an actual, visceral sense of accomplishment when I snipe an ally halfway across the map and save their bacon.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Any idea when the changes go live? Because the promise of non-lovely Zenyatta makes the current game completely undesirable to me.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Kind of disappointed the promised ultrawide monitor support is just chopping off 1/3 of the vertical height of the display without any horizontal FOV increase.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Kind of disappointed the promised ultrawide monitor support is just chopping off 1/3 of the vertical height of the display without any horizontal FOV increase.

Maybe don't buy a gigantic monitor most games won't support.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played a game like this where a new hero was released. Is it going to be constant slapfights over who gets to play Ana in every pub game after the release patch?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Really? That sucks, I'd rather just play with the black bars.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I see no possible future issues in making every team be Highlander and in adding a support that can easily ignore the fact it's a support in this game. None at all.

Seriously tho Ana interests me a lot.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Double Bill posted:

Any idea when the changes go live? Because the promise of non-lovely Zenyatta makes the current game completely undesirable to me.

The last PTR they did lasted about a week I believe.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dias posted:

I see no possible future issues in making every team be Highlander and in adding a support that can easily ignore the fact it's a support in this game. None at all.

Seriously tho Ana interests me a lot.

People who regularly play Pistol Mercy have existed since day one.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BJPaskoff posted:

I haven't played a game like this where a new hero was released. Is it going to be constant slapfights over who gets to play Ana in every pub game after the release patch?

Another reason not to play competitive.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Only in competitive friend

Competitive IS the main game. Quick Play is now " i just wanna dick around don't be so serious lolz" mode. Quick Play was more tolerable before Competitive mode because people pretty much treated it like competitive.

There was a hilarious comp game I played last night where the enemy team stacked two Junkrats and kept spamming grenades like crazy. We responded by doing the same. It was fun.

Why take this away?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Lmao Roadhog really get shafted in this update. Zen's been buffed, McCree's been buffed so you can easily stand out of range of him and focus headshot him down and Ana's biotic grenades screw him six ways to sunday.

e: Anyway, here's my thoughts so far:

Ana seems cool. Her abilities are really powerful when used well and her ult synergizes with so many people it's absurd. Got a six man team wipe with a boosted dragonblade and it was loving nuts.

She basically feels like a cross between McCree and Widowmaker. Her rifle is hitscan so basically she can go toe-to-toe with people fairly easy and has just enough range on her scope that she can be effective at long range too.

Her biotic grenades are gamechangers. Like I said they screw over Roadhog big time, aswell as Soldier etc. I can see her being a big pick in KOTH to counter Lucio.

Her sleep dart is fairly hard to hit with, which is fair as it's basically a "screw you" to any ult.

Zenyatta feels really good now. The speed increase on discord and harmony are pretty big as now you can actually get clutch heals to people fairly quick instead of them dying by the time the orb gets there. The health change is great too. He can be slightly more aggressive now. Ult is also good now that the speed has been buffed. Allows him to get to the front pretty easy.

Haven't played D.Va but playing against her is now very, very annoying. People haven't got used to her defense matrix yet but seasoned D.Va vets are now loving annoying as hell to kill and previously I'd just see her as free ult as McCree now she can actually properly close the distance and be a threat.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 12, 2016

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

so this guy

except with 3 arms and a pegleg

...i'm down

This is not what I imagined, but I I too am down for this.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Lmao Roadhog really get shafted in this update. Zen's been buffed, McCree's been buffed so you can easily stand out of range of him and focus headshot him down and Ana's biotic grenades screw him six ways to sunday.

Good. gently caress Roadhog.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Ana seems fun to play, I suck at snipers so her heal/damage grenade is probably more effective for me, plus your teammates obviously won't ever stop jumping so sniping them is kinda hard. Unscoped heals work better I think. Damage wise the insta-100hp aoe is cool.

Also, as a D.Va enthousiast, the change to her shield is a major upgrade, it's way more useful now when playing her, but it'll probably be too annoying for the enemies, I expect it to be nerfed a little. Maybe a 2s CD ? Or a delay before it starts to charge again ? I really want that change to make it to the live game asap anyway.

Speedy gonzenyatta is all kinds of awesome/horrifying.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Competitive IS the main game. Quick Play is now " i just wanna dick around don't be so serious lolz" mode. Quick Play was more tolerable before Competitive mode because people pretty much treated it like competitive.

There was a hilarious comp game I played last night where the enemy team stacked two Junkrats and kept spamming grenades like crazy. We responded by doing the same. It was fun.

Why take this away?

Realtalk, comp was a shitshow even before hero limits were implemented, or maybe people think it's great fun to spend 30 minutes on a game where half the losing team quits midway through and everybody gets a fraction of an inch of progress, or where junior MLG pro all-stars have histrionic meltdowns in voicechat over team composition while instalocking Hanzo. The idea that competitive is somehow on this higher level of effort and skill than quick play is now is frankly pretty laughable. Maybe when you get into the 70+ range with Actual Literal Pro-Gamers it's better but by all accounts anything below that is just as much of a crapshoot as quick play's ever been, only with the added benefit of extra-long game rounds and saltier players.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kai Tave posted:

People who regularly play Pistol Mercy have existed since day one.

I mean you kinda have to go out of your way to play Pistol Mercy, it's a conscious decision to play a gimmick. Now, picking Zen or Ana and ignoring the heal skills in favor of sick K/Ds will still be justified as being the "support" more often than not. On the other hand, pub snipers are so bad I'm probably gonna get healed by accident all the time anyway.

How good is Ana's unscoped rifle?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zanael posted:

Also, as a D.Va enthousiast, the change to her shield is a major upgrade, it's way more useful now when playing her, but it'll probably be too annoying for the enemies, I expect it to be nerfed a little. Maybe a 2s CD ? Or a delay before it starts to charge again ? I really want that change to make it to the live game asap anyway.

It does feel a touch too powerful, now. I like the general concept, but either giving it a slightly longer cooldown (just an extra second or two) or lowering the maximum meter seems necessary.

(Coincidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason D.Va is finally able to get buffs is because they decided to finally shove 1 hero limit onto Comp. 5 D.Vas with the new shield would absolutely stifling.)

Dias posted:

Same damage/healing, with the travel time being about the same as Mei's icicle. I find it more useful for when someone is close and needs an immediate heal and I don't want to have a delay scoping in. If you're good at landing icicles, unscoped Ana should feel quite natural. You want to swap between the two depending on whether you need mobility or precision most at any point in time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does the grenade apply a HoT to all allies in the AoE when it lands or does it place a field on the ground? That is, if someone stands in the area of effect and then walks away, is the heal effect stuck to their body or to the ground?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does the grenade apply a HoT to all allies in the AoE when it lands or does it place a field on the ground? That is, if someone stands in the area of effect and then walks away, is the heal effect stuck to their body or to the ground?

It immediately heals for 100 HP, without a delay, as well as applying a buff for 4.5s~.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Kai Tave posted:

Realtalk, comp was a shitshow even before hero limits were implemented, or maybe people think it's great fun to spend 30 minutes on a game where half the losing team quits midway through and everybody gets a fraction of an inch of progress, or where junior MLG pro all-stars have histrionic meltdowns in voicechat over team composition while instalocking Hanzo. The idea that competitive is somehow on this higher level of effort and skill than quick play is now is frankly pretty laughable. Maybe when you get into the 70+ range with Actual Literal Pro-Gamers it's better but by all accounts anything below that is just as much of a crapshoot as quick play's ever been, only with the added benefit of extra-long game rounds and saltier players.

The issue of quits and how they relate to both team's reward for the match is not related to the issue of hero stacking. The former issue can eventually be fixed by punishing players who repeatedly quit, and making sure the winning team (regardless of quits) isn't punished for something their side didn't do.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nehru the Damaja posted:

As far as I can tell there's no actual physical representation of the grenade once it lands so it looks like it's a HoT and not AoE, same with the debuff.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Anyway if the change legitimately makes the game a better experience than I'll be for it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dias posted:

Countblanc posted:

Doing testing in training mode on PTR:

- Ana does 80 damage per shot, and her attack is a projectile while unscoped and hitscan while scoped. Roughly Zen M1 projectile speed. Otherwise no difference between the two.
- Her gun heal is a fast-acting HoT that does ~70 hps, which sounds insanely high (and is), but she only has 6 shots to a clip and is the only healer who needs to "reload" heals.
- Ult charges very quickly. It's hard to test the speed and damage bonuses, but the damage mitigation seems to be 50%.
- Biotic Grenade does 60 damage and heals 100 HP, both basically instantly and in a (small) AoE.
- Sleep Dart has a 12 second cooldown, lasts 6 seconds, and does 5 damage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The issue of quits and how they relate to both team's reward for the match is not related to the issue of hero stacking. The former issue can eventually be fixed by punishing players who repeatedly quit, and making sure the winning team (regardless of quits) isn't punished for something their side didn't do.

Blizzard is likely backing down on "no, hero stacking is integral" because apparently some of the latest pro gaming competitions have been unending streams of Tracer and D.Va rushes and multiple teams running 2 Lucio/2 Winston/2 Reaper or Tracer or something and it's been pretty embarrassing. I will be honest, while I agree that changes to the gameplay elements such as Overtime which encourage such strategies would have been my first approach, odds are that with unlimited hero stacking there would always be some degenerate combination of 2+ whatevers that winds up deforming the meta in some fashion.

My concern going forward is that if they start adjusting character balance around single-hero limitations then quick play might wind up a completely unbalanced mess as a result given enough competitive-centric tweaks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

Same damage/healing, with the travel time being about the same as Mei's icicle. I find it more useful for when someone is close and needs an immediate heal and I don't want to have a delay scoping in. If you're good at landing icicles, unscoped Ana should feel quite natural. You want to swap between the two depending on whether you need mobility or precision most at any point in time.

Oh, it's a PROJECTILE unscoped? Nana, you're so kind and good to me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One thing is for certain, Nano Boost makes a mockery of Deadeye.

https://gfycat.com/OfficialDimwittedHind

That Reinhardt Earthshatter skewed it a bit, but you can definitely see the skull and that she should, by rights, be dead, but Nano Boost saved her life. That's pretty big.

Basically expect Nano Boosted Dragonblades to be the new wombo combo and not even the near-instakill counter can stop it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
in before people complaining about having to run 3 supports

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So the trailer showed Ana on top of that ledge at the beginning of Temple of Anubis. Does she have some kind of movement option like Widowmaker and Hanzo?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

So the trailer showed Ana on top of that ledge at the beginning of Temple of Anubis. Does she have some kind of movement option like Widowmaker and Hanzo?

None whatsoever. It's just dramatic licensing, or maybe she got blown up there by a concussion mine.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I probably missed it but is there a hard number available for how much extra dmg the nanoboost gives you?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Macaluso posted:

She got there from an enemy Pharah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in case no one mentioned it, Ana's super is basically an Install, and im glad

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm just happy pubbies will be able to pick their snipers on Anubis offense and meaningfully contribute to the team, for a change.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Kai Tave posted:

Blizzard is likely backing down on "no, hero stacking is integral" because apparently some of the latest pro gaming competitions have been unending streams of Tracer and D.Va rushes and multiple teams running 2 Lucio/2 Winston/2 Reaper or Tracer or something and it's been pretty embarrassing. I will be honest, while I agree that changes to the gameplay elements such as Overtime which encourage such strategies would have been my first approach, odds are that with unlimited hero stacking there would always be some degenerate combination of 2+ whatevers that winds up deforming the meta in some fashion.

Dear god. So what?

Not every game they make needs to be designed around e-sports pro-player scene.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Macaluso posted:

Jeff Kaplan posted:

We cut the scene just before that one where Junkrat sets off his concussive mine, sending her flying through the air and landing on the...

We cut the scene just before that one where Junkrat sets off his concussive mine, sending her flying through the air and landing on the...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LOL

They're getting rid of hero stacking?

Screw the League of Legends/Dota 2 players wanting to turn this SHOOTER into their new moba.

I feel that getting rid of hero stacking will hamper the dynamism of this game and create more conflict between team members.

lol please tell me about the "dynamism" of stacking 3 torbs and 2 soldiers with lucio, such dynamic poo poo.

idk how this will create "conflict" between team members. if you're playing with pubs instead of your friends in competitive then it's your fault for being a loving dolt.

zenyatta being better owns, dva tank owns, sniper owns, all the changes own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dear god. So what?

Not every game they make needs to be designed around e-sports pro-player scene.

when the goal is to make an esport it makes sense to make the game balanced around being an esport