Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MZ posted:

There is a bug in the KS8000 set that does not auto-switch to HDR settings for Game Mode. The main things you need to set are the following in Expert Picture settings:

Backlight: 20 (or as close to max as your eyes can take, 18 is fine)
SmartLED: High
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
For the KS8000, I thought I saw the Backlight has to be at 20 for HDR content to work in Game Mode - is that not true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Crows Turn Off posted:

For the KS8000, I thought I saw the Backlight has to be at 20 for HDR content to work in Game Mode - is that not true?

No, it doesn't have to be at 20 to work, it works at any value - it just won't look right at low settings. It looks brightest at 20 but the 'HDR-ness' still works perfectly fine a couple of notches lower, it might look a bit too dim at anything below 16 however.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MZ posted:

No, it doesn't have to be at 20 to work, it works at any value - it just won't look right at low settings. It looks brightest at 20 but the 'HDR-ness' still works perfectly fine a couple of notches lower, it might look a bit too dim at anything below 16 however.
Ok, makes sense. I thought I also read that Contrast needs to be set to max as well. Or does Dynamic Contrast take care of that?

Sorry for the derail.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Veib posted:

Yeah, the other day there were some game journalism people on twitter talking about how David Cage has completely different but always clearly prepared answers for the same questions in different interviews in a way that has to be done on purpose, because if not then what the hell is that even about.

https://twitter.com/Statk/status/877271531834884096

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

It was okay until enough people complained it wasn't like the original games and Sega added a bunch of stuff that didn't work with the systems they already had and ended up pleasing nobody.

Did you watch the earlier gameplay videos? It looked like complete dogshit.

https://youtu.be/cqPVsFXAbK8

I especially like how the soldiers don't react to being shot at as long as they can't see the shooter.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 22, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

What made the original valkyria game good was the battle system, so Sega decided to remove it for the next console release.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Ok, makes sense. I thought I also read that Contrast needs to be set to max as well. Or does Dynamic Contrast take care of that?

Sorry for the derail.

Personally I have set Contrast to 95 and Dynamic Contrast to Medium (High is too aggressive and crushes some of the darker details).

Doing a lot of tweaking with RE7 & Hitman in HDR modes, this gives the best results.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I sold my og PS4 to get a pro a while back and even though I don't own a 4K tv I don't regret the purchase. Some games get higher framerates and/or resolution which is cool, and boost mode can smooth over some pre-pro games. It's not a miracle boost but it is noticeable in some games.

Even a game like Nioh that has a 60fps action mode on reg PS4 is even smoother on the pro.

If you don't own a PS4 and you don't know what one to get, get the pro. It even has a stock 1tb drive.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

meta asf

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Elite Dangerous live stream has started :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elitedangerous?live

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Where can you see this? I didn't know they tracked your game hours

It's part of the Playstation newsletters I get.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Attitude Indicator posted:

What made the original valkyria game good was the battle system, so Sega decided to remove it for the next console release.

Yeah it looks like some BS Warriors combat. Which is a total shame. I loved the original. Every few years I get an itch and google to see if any games like it exist. They never do. So I play VC again.

Which for how much I love it has a huge flaw. The ranking system is based on only time so you are highly encouraged to cheese levels by just sprinting past it. My dream is a sequel with MGSV inspired scoring. What ever approach you take, if you do well enough at it, you can S rank.

But this game wasnt one of the few pre-approved game types allowed to exist, so we get a Valkyria Warriors knockoff. Which warriors games arent bad in and of themselves. But like you said. The combat system WAS the defining feature.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ularg posted:

It's part of the Playstation newsletters I get.

I'd appreciate it if this was a system feature.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I wish I got the newsletters still. I'm properly set up for them, not spam filtered or blocked, and I haven't gotten one from Sony in years. It didn't piss me off so much until it started affecting those emails with discount codes and such.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpMghnE2SYU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So it looks like the KS8000 line is no more? Or am I being stupid. I'm probalby being stupid. I know Costco uses a different model number, but even looking at Best Buy to get a rough idea on price, they don't have anything with that model number any more. There's this: UN49MU8000FXZA which maybe is the "new" version? Also, why am I doing this? I don't need a new TV.... :cry:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Regargeless,

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lumpy posted:

So it looks like the KS8000 line is no more? Or am I being stupid. I'm probalby being stupid. I know Costco uses a different model number, but even looking at Best Buy to get a rough idea on price, they don't have anything with that model number any more. There's this: UN49MU8000FXZA which maybe is the "new" version? Also, why am I doing this? I don't need a new TV.... :cry:

Yeah I believe Costco always has special model numbers just for them. Research it a bit?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Video is unavailable. :\

[edit]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elitedangerous?live This works...

Can someone give me sort of an elevator sales pitch on Elite Dangerous?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 22, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

"you can't get a wait or husbandu, which is a real shame."

and even this joker thinks the combat is shallow. gently caress you sega

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Feenix posted:

Video is unavailable. :\

[edit]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elitedangerous?live This works...

Can someone give me sort of an elevator sales pitch on Elite Dangerous?

ships that fly with Newtonian physics. And you can be as space trucker while trying to not crash in the station when you want to land.

To be fair I described most Elite games with that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That video still doesn't work, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AJ_sAH-f8c

E:D is not really a game that anyone's going to waver and be convinced on, it's about repeatedly doing tedious menial things forever against the majestic backdrop of infinite space (unless you want to go full retard and get involved with the online community).

I'd have bought it immediately if it supported PSVR, but it doesn't.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 22, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Bombadilillo posted:

"you can't get a wait or husbandu, which is a real shame."

and even this joker thinks the combat is shallow. gently caress you sega

Pictured: The diametric opposite of Valkyria Chronicles.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

haveblue posted:

That video still doesn't work, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AJ_sAH-f8c

E:D is not really a game that anyone's going to waver and be convinced on, it's about repeatedly doing tedious menial things forever against the majestic backdrop of space (unless you want to go full retard and get involved with the online community).

I'd have bought it immediately if it supported PSVR, but it doesn't.

Hm, so is this like me being intrigued in the space version of iRacing or something? Only for the hardcore spergs? It looks neat... but yeah maybe it's too much for me?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah I believe Costco always has special model numbers just for them. Research it a bit?

I know that. What I was attempting to say is that the "official" model KS8000 seems to no longer be available anywhere. I was wondering if that was due to Samsung doing a refresh on the model line, and if so, what the new model numbers were if anyone knew.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

So the bigger the boobs, the higher a characters magic rating?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lumpy posted:

I know that. What I was attempting to say is that the "official" model KS8000 seems to no longer be available anywhere. I was wondering if that was due to Samsung doing a refresh on the model line, and if so, what the new model numbers were if anyone knew.

Oh. Tv models are new yearly like cars. If its a slight upgrade to a model it will be k8100 or something. But yeah they change every year.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Lumpy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X9VSZYM/

is the new model according to amazon. you can usually check the old model page there and they'll have a link to the updated models near the top.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

This video actually brings up a pretty good point that they just completely gave up on having the characters look like they belong to a military organization. RIP uniforms.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The KS series is discontinued, yes. The MU series is the closest direct replacement for it, although several hundred dollars more right now than the KS was, thanks to being right at the start of its run, rather than right at the end.

Also, for what it's worth, Costco model numbers typically only differ in the last digit or two, not the actual TV series. Mine is a UN65KS800D, which is a KS8000 with a (d)ark bezel (which honestly looks way better than the silver bezel on the regular KS8000). There's no functional or performance difference otherwise, and I'd expect that to continue with newer product lines.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Healbot posted:

So the bigger the boobs, the higher a characters magic rating?
Well, you have to store that stuff somewhere

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well, you have to store that stuff somewhere

Boobs are full of magic, literally the entire world knows this

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

baram. posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X9VSZYM/

is the new model according to amazon. you can usually check the old model page there and they'll have a link to the updated models near the top.

Schpyder posted:

The KS series is discontinued, yes. The MU series is the closest direct replacement for it, although several hundred dollars more right now than the KS was, thanks to being right at the start of its run, rather than right at the end.

Also, for what it's worth, Costco model numbers typically only differ in the last digit or two, not the actual TV series. Mine is a UN65KS800D, which is a KS8000 with a (d)ark bezel (which honestly looks way better than the silver bezel on the regular KS8000). There's no functional or performance difference otherwise, and I'd expect that to continue with newer product lines.

Thank you guys for the info. Looks like they still just add a 'D' at the end at Costco as well, and I can save a whole $20 over Amazon!!!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is Dreadnought worth getting hyped over? Because the concept, at least, looks super cool.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Thank you guys for the info. Looks like they still just add a 'D' at the end at Costco as well, and I can save a whole $20 over Amazon!!!

I buy lots of electronics from Costco not due to price but their return/warranty support is amazing you can basically bring anything back easily no questions ever asked.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Is Dreadnought worth getting hyped over? Because the concept, at least, looks super cool.

I looks cool, but it also looks like it has ships healing each other, which is dumb and means it's just a new aesthetic for existing team-based archetypes. Maybe I'm wrong.

To me the idea of a support ship healing a warship is just about the dumbest thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I never played Valkyria Revolution because it sounded like a shitshow from the beginning but after the first Japanese demo was badly received for having no gameplay elements from the previous games, they said they took it back to the drawing board and added them, but I guess they actually didn't?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snak posted:

I looks cool, but it also looks like it has ships healing each other, which is dumb and means it's just a new aesthetic for existing team-based archetypes. Maybe I'm wrong.

To me the idea of a support ship healing a warship is just about the dumbest thing.

Never played EVE, then?

Plus, it kind of works at this sort of scale - you can imagine something that big getting mid-battle maintenance, like a building in a sci-fi RTS getting constructed in seconds by fantastically advanced engineering technology. We're looking at mobile factories going to war with each other, not just soldiers with mysteriously regenerating health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Repair drone swarms would be cool. Healing beams are lame though