Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

An important tip; always remember your clavicle protector. I left without mine a couple weeks ago and promptly got a shot between the bottom of my collar bones. I'm now out for a few weeks with a fractured chest bone which stings like gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Zip! posted:

An important tip; always remember your clavicle protector. I left without mine a couple weeks ago and promptly got a shot between the bottom of my collar bones. I'm now out for a few weeks with a fractured chest bone which stings like gently caress.

I've been blessed with extremely strong collarbones, I cant count the times I've received impact cuts from pucks bouncing off them. I'm getting really sick of testing their strength though, what kind do you use and does it choke you when looking down/around? I used to wear one but took out the neck guard portion of it because I couldn't stand getting choked. I'm thinking about buying a ferral one or rigging something similar to the Brians C/A's.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I use my regular gear whenever I play ball hockey, I'm just not comfortable otherwise.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I stopped by the proshop at Wonderland of Ice across the street from where I work in Bridgeport looking to try on some pads to see what would fit. Although they're selection wasn't great, he had a couple sets from Steve Valiquette since he does camps there. I told him I was probably looking for 35 or 36" pads...he brings out Steve's, which although were very nice, had to have been like 40's, if not bigger. They came up almost to my waist.

He's got a used set of GDI's he's getting for today for me to check out. We'll see how those go.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

sba posted:

I use my regular gear whenever I play ball hockey, I'm just not comfortable otherwise.

How do you not die of heatstroke?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Hazed_Red posted:

How do you not die of heatstroke?

I should rephrase that a little, I use a different, less bulky C/A. Everything else is the same though.

Otherwise, underarmour heat gear and plenty of fluids.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was on the bench taking photos last night because my groin is kind of hosed up.

Needless to say, a puck still came flying towards me while I was in the middle of focusing a shot. I saw it out of the corner of my eye an instinctively moved my blocker arm up to deflect the shot....

... without a blocker. Thankfully it was just a floater so it only stung for a minute or two, so it's really more of a :lol: kind of thing. Also for the record I totally deflected the rebound to the corner of the bench :clint:

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I stopped by the proshop at Wonderland of Ice across the street from where I work in Bridgeport looking to try on some pads to see what would fit. Although they're selection wasn't great, he had a couple sets from Steve Valiquette since he does camps there. I told him I was probably looking for 35 or 36" pads...he brings out Steve's, which although were very nice, had to have been like 40's, if not bigger. They came up almost to my waist.

He's got a used set of GDI's he's getting for today for me to check out. We'll see how those go.

How short were the boot of his pads? 38" is supposed to be the limit but looking at pictures it looks like his are about what you're saying.

NHL just changed the rules today to make pad size relate to the size of the goalie which honestly I dont have an issue with. It'll be interesting to see how full butterfly goalies do without +3-5" thigh rises. I think we'll start to see the more exciting styles come back into play again. I'm sitting pretty with my 36+1"'ers since I probably should have 37+1" in a Brians size. :smugdog:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Kept the drat trapezoid though..

I am not a fan of that.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Boot seemed about normal to me. I didn't really inspect em much, since they were so big I was like...yeah no way.

I went yesterday, the kid actually had 35+1 RX9 Pros that he was selling, along with a GDI glove and RBK blocker. They were certainly nice, and in fantastic shape, but he wanted $800 for the set, and I couldn't honestly convince myself to pay for those, when I really don't need RX9's, and it's all used. You can get new RX9's on GM for $800, but he did throw in a blocker and glove, so I guess it's a trade off.

But just for roller which is what I'll mainly be playing, I can't justify it. I was telling the guy who owns the shop that GM had sales going on, but somehow I got it into my head that it was RX9s they were clearing out, not RX7s. I gotta go back tomorrow just to correct myself so I don't look like and idiot.

I did order the RX7 set off of goaliemonkey today though. They didn't have a ton of selection left, but I'm not too concerned. I go from mainly red gear to blue. Now I want it to be here already!

Funkulous
Jul 15, 2005

by elpintogrande
Well, I just ordered the 35 inch RX7s. Now I have to pace around impatiently until they arrive. drat I'm excited for these!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

So did I!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Did anyone see the Sens Flyers game last night? Ray Emery took a puck off the mask and the mask fell off forward in front of him. I am still bewildered on how that happened.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Polish posted:

Did anyone see the Sens Flyers game last night? Ray Emery took a puck off the mask and the mask fell off forward in front of him. I am still bewildered on how that happened.

Did the buckles come off? I've taking metal denting impacts to the cage that flexes the mask and unbuttons the straps.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

titanium posted:

Did the buckles come off? I've taking metal denting impacts to the cage that flexes the mask and unbuttons the straps.

Yeah, that's what happened.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've never really had many problems with my buckles, but my loving dangler strings will come undone at the drop of a loving hat.

I've had to skate to the bench at least three times in the past month to fix it. I guess I should tie it differently, because the knots just don't last at all.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Ugh. I have slipped into that stickhandling skill phase where I'm getting more confident in playing the puck, but being a little too brazen as a result. The last few pickups have yielded multiple goals against because I shoot the puck right into the crotch of the rushing player, or right onto their stick.

It's like I'm unconsciously shooting the puck at the first moving object I see, or something like that. :( I really hope this quirk doesn't last...

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Martytoof posted:

I've never really had many problems with my buckles, but my loving dangler strings will come undone at the drop of a loving hat.

I've had to skate to the bench at least three times in the past month to fix it. I guess I should tie it differently, because the knots just don't last at all.
You can always melt some lace together with a lighter after you knot it.

I am now officially on my first team as a goalie. :ohdear: I wish I could get some ice time in before the first game since it will be my first time on the ice in months, but there's not much I can do without putting a few hundred miles on my car this weekend. The goalie I'm replacing let in 10 and 9 goals in the last two games before going back to skater.. hopefully I can outdo that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know exactly what you mean!

I love playing the puck, but I get pretty nervous doing it and panic. For some reason when I have the puck on my stick my brain shuts down and I stop differentiating between my own guys and the other team, so I'm just trying to clear it over the blue line. If I can't, I then try to find some open spot on the ice or I finally try to find my own player, but I typically just fire it off into no man's land without checking to see if someone is skating up that way. I've given up some weeeeak goals doing that. The kind where you're by the boards, pass it up and have that sinking NOOOOOOO feeling, then you try to race back and do the Matrix bullet-time save.

Needless to say I never make that save :haw:

ManicJason posted:

You can always melt some lace together with a lighter after you knot it.

The lace I use isn't nylon, it just burns. I'll replace it with something that I can melt together though. Doesn't even need to be lace, that's just the first thing I had underhand.

Also, good luck!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Thats why I avoid stickhandling at all costs!

Nevermind the fact that I'm a right handed shot when I play out.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Got called in for a game tonight.. first actual game in months. Right at the end I had all the time in the world to pass the puck cross ice.. and well I flubbed the shot right onto the stick of an opposing player. Luckily he had no business being on that team and he fell over when he went to shoot so I slid in and stopped the puck.

He must of felt like poo poo after that one.

Right in the loving dick during warm-ups. gently caress.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Thats why I avoid stickhandling at all costs!

Nevermind the fact that I'm a right handed shot when I play out.
That has definitely helped keep me conservative playing the puck. Then again, I tend to sit in the net like a helpless child when I should be able to easily come out and paddle the puck around away from a forechecker that's all alone.

I still refuse to even try flipping the paddle around or using the Turco grip.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Turco grip is sooooo sexy. I literally can't shoot or stickhandle any other way, it would feel way too foreign, and I have no idea what parts of my gloves go where. Turco grip is just too natural for me to give up and try any other way.

Too bad I have weak spaghetti arms and my shots only go like 10 feet 90% of the time. In my defense, I've managed to get the puck airborne a lot so I guess that's something :shobon:

Then there's me being a total klutz and completely whiffing on a stationary puck. There's nothing worse than pulling a Khabibulin and swinging at a puck thinking you're going to send it sailing, when all you do is manage to hit the ice with the front of your stick, miss the puck completely, and have the skater pick it up from between your legs and dink it in for an easy goal.

Ai ai ai!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
If you cant play the puck seriously try the turco grip. It takes maybe 3 warmup lightly dinking around and you'll get it down enough to make the switch. I was HORRIBLE at playing the puck and could rarely ever loft it. Now I can top shelf pucks in the net during warmups. I cant stress enough how big of a difference it can make with your shot.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

real_scud posted:

Ya, I mean really who the loving hell cares if your equipment doesn't match your team colors? I see one or two girls in my league who have bright pink gloves and think it's hilarious and awesome at the same time.

edit: And one guy with faded pink gloves.

I bet I know the girls that are in your league at RDV. ;)

I used to play with a women's travel team out of RDV when I lived in Orlando, though practices mostly moved to the Kissimmee rink shortly before I moved away.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Lioness posted:

I bet I know the girls that are in your league at RDV. ;)
Maybe, but I'm doubting it because the majority of the girls I see in the league I'm in aren't that good.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Can anyone illustrate the Turco grip? I'll give it a shot.

I can actually elevate the puck pretty well when I concentrate and have time, and can make OK passes out to my blue line, but of course, I don't have all the time in the world when actually in a game. That and I really cant control where it goes, I just can make it go.

Part of the reason I've considered getting some used full right gear to see if it'd do me any better, since like I said I'm a right shot when out, and am a natural lefty, so when I play baseball/softball, I catch with my right hand anyways.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's basically the same thing as regular grip except you turn your catching glove upside down and push at the stick with the bottom part of your palm.

Think of it in terms of a regular stick without gloves on. You'd typically hold a hockey stick with both thumbs pointing in the same direction (down). Turco grip is what you'd get if you turned your bottom hand upside down and your thumbs were pointed at each other.

Obviously the analogy doesn't translate 1:1 for goalies, but that's the general idea.

Edit:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 14, 2009

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Anyone own a set of Simmons pads? My RBK's are taking a poo poo and I really need to get something soon. Looks like donsimmons.com has some pretty good deals going on, but I really don't know much about them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They've always seemed like high quality knockoffs to me. They basically take a good design and put some work into replicating it well. They're manuf. in Canada, and everyone I've known with a set of Don Simmons pads has been really happy with them.

That being said, no I don't have any personal experience that isn't "my friend said".

I've seriously thought about their Rbk 995 clone though. It looks pretty nice and the price basically can't be beat. If it's of the same quality as the P3 then it might be my next pad.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

RE: Puck handling

PRE-SCAN, PRE-SCAN, PRE-SCAN

Usually when you're skating out to handle the puck you've got a good 5 seconds to get there. Use this time to look up the ice - see where your team mates are, where their forecheckers are.

If there is nothing on then just drag it behind your net and let your D take care of it. If the pass is on - control the puck and move it on quickly. 1 touch to control it, 1 touch to pass it.

Last point; when you hold the puck the same rules apply to you as your D men - Don't twat it through the middle unless absolutely sure it's going to get there. Up the boards is best!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Joey Walnuts posted:

Anyone own a set of Simmons pads? My RBK's are taking a poo poo and I really need to get something soon. Looks like donsimmons.com has some pretty good deals going on, but I really don't know much about them.

The local shop that pretty much only sells goalie gear dumped Battram for Simmons this year, he had both last year but in his words the Simmons were delivered on time, to spec, and with better fit and finish. I strongly considered going with a UL7 set this fall until I wound up with my Vapor x60 pro return and Summit gloves, then I was looking to them for a blocker but found a nicely used Heaton Helite 5 for super cheap while on vacation. Currently I am looking to Simmons for leg pads either around or shortly after Christmas, the UL7 set looks and feels great.

This is all hearsay, but the guy who owns the shop told me the following about Simmons. I can't say whether it is true but it seems plausible.

1) They simply buy a retail set of pads, dissect them and rebuild as close to them as possible with slight variations in foam and graphic. The Outer shell is made of the same stuff as the big brands, the inner foams are very similar but slightly off.

2) They do the same thing with the gloves, dissect, rebuild with their own stock and they have their own version of the glove. As an aside, this fellow told me that at times Simmons actually makes the custom gloves for TPS so there is a chance those fancy Summit 7s, and R10 gloves were made by Simmons. (if he is to be believed)

The few goalies I know who have Simmons stuff are all happy with them, no talk about poor quality, long wait times, or even thinking of switching brands. They know if they wait a while Simmons will have the latest Vaughn, TPS, Bauer type pad but for hundreds less.

The Goalie Store Bulletin Board apparently has issues with how he advertises but I love it, you look at his pad and you can compare it to the original model so you know if you are getting a butterfly, hybrid, who knows what the gently caress else type pad. I truly hate the online presence of most hockey retailers, and the fact that the most active board is GSBB for "reviews" where some 13 year old buys a glove like Turco, wears it for 30 minutes and says it is the best glove he has ever worn with no stingers yet...

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 15, 2009

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Anybody know a decent place to get new RBK 9K pumps? I went to GoalieMonkey today and the old ones are $299.99 and the new model is $549.99. I do like the new model more as it's a bit stiffer and the pump is reinforced but I don't like it $250 more. The issue lies in that they didn't have any of the old model in stock in my size (10D). The next closest place I've found is the Source for Sports in London which is selling the old version for ~$380 and nowhere is selling the new version yet (at least according to their sites) aside from GoalieMonkey.

If there are places offering both models (or just one) I'd like to get in touch with them and start getting a chart going so I can price out where the best place for me to get these skates is.

So I come to you SA goalies. Ideas?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Space Cadet posted:

The Goalie Store Bulletin Board apparently has issues with how he advertises but I love it, you look at his pad and you can compare it to the original model so you know if you are getting a butterfly, hybrid, who knows what the gently caress else type pad. I truly hate the online presence of most hockey retailers, and the fact that the most active board is GSBB for "reviews" where some 13 year old buys a glove like Turco, wears it for 30 minutes and says it is the best glove he has ever worn with no stingers yet...

I think GSBB had a problem when someone posted a critical review of a Simmons pad and DS slapped them (GSBB) with a cease and desist or something (or perhaps something less legal, I don't actually remember). That's why Simmons is converted to ******* if you try to post about it. Or at least that's how it used to be, I haven't read/posted at GSBB in quite a while now.

Admittedly that was really lovely on DS' part, but honestly who the gently caress cares, as long as the pads are quality and cheap. I literally think this is the only knock people at GSBB have on Don Simmons, other than "welp they copy pads". Though you don't hear people badmouthing Battram for that, so who knows.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
As much as I dislike the idea of ripping off other brands I did own a pair of Don Simmons 993's and 994's and they were fantastic. There were no wear issues with them, the build quality was 100% and the price was right. They really are equal build quality to the big brands as I have a set of Zero G's right now. I have some vids of me using mine here if you're interested in seeing.

http://www.vimeo.com/wong

Keep in mind though the sizing is about 1" shorter than a Brian's pad. I would probably wear a 35/36 in a Simmons pad vs a solid 37" in a Brians.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you want to be a good stickhandler just ignore everything Marc-Andre Fleury does with the puck. Seriously.

Especially his penchant for overhandling pucks that do not need to be handled. If your defenseman can get to it you don't need to give it an extra touch every single time just to settle it for him. That is a great way to confuse him and gently caress things up.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just finished my first game playing goal on a real team (well, as real as beer C league), and the team accepted me full time. We lost in a shootout to a sick move that opened my five hole and tucked it away. 3-2 final. I didn't let in a single embarrassing goal for the first time ever - let in a second whack off a breakaway and a roofed shot 2-1 where I was leaning pass a little.

Hockey is so awesome.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I finally got back out on the ice last night after about a 6-week break and oddly enough I played against some guys from Mexico City. I played well, but it's going to take me a couple more sessions before I feel like I am back in hockey in shape. The only good thing about my lower body being so worn out/sore after playing is that it serves as a good reminder of how physically demanding the position really.

Now I just need to find more ice time that actually works with my schedule, which is going to be the real challenge. Why does every open hockey sessision need to be at noon, 3:30, or in freaking Gilbert?

Funkulous
Jul 15, 2005

by elpintogrande
Apparently Goaliemonkey ran out of the 35 inch RX7s in Boston colors that I ordered. So they decided to send me the RX7 SEs in Cape Brenton colors. I like it when customer service does things that are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Funkulous posted:

Apparently Goaliemonkey ran out of the 35 inch RX7s in Boston colors that I ordered. So they decided to send me the RX7 SEs in Cape Brenton colors. I like it when customer service does things that are awesome.

Yeah, I ordered a pair of lovely KoHo 540 (or something) skates from them in ~2004, and they were apparently all out so they sent me a pair of 580s instead. Free bump to almost-to-of-the-line. I had to send my 580s back in for repair because one of the eyelets burst and was worried that I'd get a pair of 540s back because that's what was on the invoice. They were pretty awesome and made sure to let me know I'd be getting a brand new pair of 580s back.

Goaliemonkey does, indeed, own.

• Locked thread