Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Change your bulbs. That looks like you could be getting algae growth from cahnging spectrum, especially if you have already ruled out RO/DI water that is *properly* filtered. After that you need to get some form of GFO and use a reactor to reduce your phosphates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dono posted:

Change your bulbs. That looks like you could be getting algae growth from cahnging spectrum, especially if you have already ruled out RO/DI water that is *properly* filtered. After that you need to get some form of GFO and use a reactor to reduce your phosphates.

Yup, sea hare will clean that up, but it will die if it has no more to eat so you'll have to get rid of it. And you should get to the bottom of the phosphates too so it doesn't return :)

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yup, sea hare will clean that up, but it will die if it has no more to eat so you'll have to get rid of it. And you should get to the bottom of the phosphates too so it doesn't return :)

There should always be a YMMV on these suggestions :) I picked up a sea hare for my GHA problems and it didn't touch the algae at all and died 3 days later.

My suggestion is to check ALL the things. Check your nutrient levels with good quality test kits, check your water source, check your replacement water levels before you even dump it into the tank (if using NSW, it could be dirty; if using salt mix, your mix may be poor quality). You should obviously be using RO/DI that that should be 0.0ppm TDS. Don't overfeed your fish or corals. If you don't have anything attached to the rocks, might be a good time to just kill them. Also, invest in a PAR meter and see if your bulbs are doing what they're supposed to be doing. If I got into reef again, I would definitely spend the money on a PAR meter. It sucks wasting a lot of time testing everything else and not knowing whether or not your lights just are better at growing weeds than corals.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Also, check this thread out:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=268706

Talks about peroxide dipping and dosing and the effects on GHA. I tried it on a frag and it worked super well.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Interesting.. I had the same effect with incremental dosing of Mg up to something like 1700ppm over the course of a few weeks. The GHA went white then disappeared. Unfortunately, it came back as soon as I stopped keeping the tank up at the high Mg levels (reducing to normal through water changes once a week).

I do think that these fixes are just temporarily masking a larger problem, but once bryopsis gets a hold, it is very hard to let go so it may just be the kick it needs to die off after you've corrected the nutrient problem.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I've heard of the MG thing too, but I didn't wanna pay $50 for a test kit, so I don't dose it anyway. I've been battling GHA since I got my tank (craigslist) about 18 months ago and it's just gotten to the point where there's like 2 dime sized areas left. Water changes, toothbrush + gravel vac and a shitload of pinches from my cleaner shrimp later and it's almost gone.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

SaNChEzZ posted:

I've heard of the MG thing too, but I didn't wanna pay $50 for a test kit, so I don't dose it anyway. I've been battling GHA since I got my tank (craigslist) about 18 months ago and it's just gotten to the point where there's like 2 dime sized areas left. Water changes, toothbrush + gravel vac and a shitload of pinches from my cleaner shrimp later and it's almost gone.

join your local reef club, get discounts at LFS, have them test Mg levels for free.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I could do that, I also just found out that my neighbor (who's 180 just got trashed by flatworms) has access to a huge wholesaler!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

I could do that, I also just found out that my neighbor (who's 180 just got trashed by flatworms) has access to a huge wholesaler!

One is probably related to the other.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

One is probably related to the other.

Yes, or that he doesn't dip his stuff properly. I wouldn't buy livestock through them because I really like my LFS, but for pumps/skimmers for my new tank I'm totally taking advantage.

I also found out that the company Exotic Reef Imports (featured on Tanked! on animal planet) is 1 block from my LFS which is about 3 miles from my house. I stalked their location last night and for whatever reason they had the doors to their loading dock open. Holy poo poo do I want to go inside and look around, it's like a 50k sq/ft warehouse that's just plumbed to the teeth.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Attempted to drill my first bulkheads this morning on my new external fuge I'm adding to my system. First bulkhead went smooth, but I think I started to put more pressure on the second hold and got about a 1-2" crack in the glass.

Time to buy another 10g.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I've heard they're one of the few wholesalers still willing to deal with those guys since their husbandry seems to be less than adequate, as well as their stocking recommendations (such as sharks being a great residential saltwater fish for people to keep). Pretty much every thread about them on RC is like 'what the hell are they doing, but wow the tanks look great'

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Melchior posted:

I've heard they're one of the few wholesalers still willing to deal with those guys since their husbandry seems to be less than adequate, as well as their stocking recommendations (such as sharks being a great residential saltwater fish for people to keep). Pretty much every thread about them on RC is like 'what the hell are they doing, but wow the tanks look great'

Yeah I've questioned their husbandry multiple times, but hey.. I'm just watching the show to see all the pretty stuff that I'll never be able to afford :)

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Round two of hole drilling went really smooth. Two cleanly cut bulkheads i nthe new 10g fuge. The fittings, Mag 9.5,and tubing should be here by thursday/friday so hopefully I can get some pictures of my new stand up.

Build a stand almost 5ft tall to house my top-off, dosing, and my fuge on top to gravity feed down to my DT. Once it's stained I can post some pictures of the entire project.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dono posted:

Round two of hole drilling went really smooth. Two cleanly cut bulkheads i nthe new 10g fuge. The fittings, Mag 9.5,and tubing should be here by thursday/friday so hopefully I can get some pictures of my new stand up.

Build a stand almost 5ft tall to house my top-off, dosing, and my fuge on top to gravity feed down to my DT. Once it's stained I can post some pictures of the entire project.

Any advice on drilling aside from take my time and let the drill apply pressure? I'm going to be drilling a 40br soon and don't want to have to buy a new one :)

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
I dont think I can stress taking your time enough. The glass on this tank was thin so it only took me a minute or two to get through it, but I made sure I had a hose running excessive amounts of water over where the drill was cutting into. Definitely kept the drill at a faster speed, the first try where I messed up the drill got caught on the glass because it was going too slow and cracked it.

Also, I would take advantage of Amazons free shipping deal to order in the correct size diamond hole saw bits while you still can. Most hardware stores (ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, etc) won't carry them.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

Dono posted:

I dont think I can stress taking your time enough. The glass on this tank was thin so it only took me a minute or two to get through it, but I made sure I had a hose running excessive amounts of water over where the drill was cutting into. Definitely kept the drill at a faster speed, the first try where I messed up the drill got caught on the glass because it was going too slow and cracked it.

Also, I would take advantage of Amazons free shipping deal to order in the correct size diamond hole saw bits while you still can. Most hardware stores (ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, etc) won't carry them.

The easiest way to remember to take your time is that you aren't actually "drilling" the glass so much as sanding it in a circular shape. So you gotta give the particles of glass enough time to get ground out. It'll crack if you put pressure on it because it's still connected to the rest of the pane.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dono posted:

I'm actually gunna order the kit from glass-holes.com Comes with holesaw, gaskets, bulkheads and an overflow :)

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'm actually gunna order the kit from glass-holes.com Comes with holesaw, gaskets, bulkheads and an overflow :)

Very cool, I get some great deals through my reef club here in Orlando. Glass fabrication, overflows, bulkheads etc so using some of the online guys just wasnt cost effective for myself.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dono posted:

Very cool, I get some great deals through my reef club here in Orlando. Glass fabrication, overflows, bulkheads etc so using some of the online guys just wasnt cost effective for myself.

That's sweet, I have yet to meet up with any SoCal reef clubs sadly. I find that everyone I meet is into fish, and most everyone I meet is part of the car scene down here. Fish and cars, hand in hand.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/aqua-sd/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

I hope someone gets to this in the next 4 or so hours. Found some great deals here. I bought 5 frags last night for 5-7$ a frag + 50$ overnight shipping. Came out to like 17$ a frag, but some pretty rare zoas/palys/LPS in here. Worth checking out if you haven't.

Had a friend order from them a while back and raved about the quality of their shipping/live stock. Figured I'd give em a try.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Prices are really good but I couldn't pick out enough frags for the $50 shipping to be worth it, because a lot of things are overgrowing in my tank already--I really need to clean up, but I'm going to have to miss our next major local swap.

I'll probably end up putting up another For Sale thread in our local forum.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

arioch posted:

Prices are really good but I couldn't pick out enough frags for the $50 shipping to be worth it, because a lot of things are overgrowing in my tank already--I really need to clean up, but I'm going to have to miss our next major local swap.

I'll probably end up putting up another For Sale thread in our local forum.

What part of the country are you from? your corals have some awesome coloration.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dono posted:

What part of the country are you from? your corals have some awesome coloration.

Chicago suburbs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Took this pic for cculos yesterday, decided to post it up here anyway.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 15, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

New tankstuffs!

$5 Green Slimer Frag

African Flameback Pygmy Angel and the freakin' camera ham Mandarin who is not new.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
So I've got a tiny tiny colony of some unidentified zoas on one of my rocks, but I don't know what to do with it. In the ~6 months it has been in my tank, it hasn't really spread or thrived at all. Maybe it's being crowded out by the Kenya Tree that it is growing next to? Should I cut off the Kenya Tree (I have like 3 dozen of them in my tank, one less won't hurt) to give it room to grow? Right now it's at the bottom of my tank because algae was smothering the rock; should I move it back towards the top?

As far as my algae problem goes, I tested my RO/DI water the other day and it's at 3 PPM. I don't know how old the filters in my unit are, so I'll try replacing those and see what happens. My skimmer seems to be working pretty well, and my Nitrates are at 0 while my Nitrites are at .05 PPM. I don't have a test kit for Phosphates so I should probably pick one up.

My algae is really getting annoying. I've got some spiny astraea snails, and there is algae growing on their shells. That's right, I need snails for my snails now apparently.

Speaking of algae, about 3 months ago I had awesome purple coralline algae growing over everything in my tank. Since then something must have changed, because it has all but disappeared. There is still some left encrusted underneath some rocks or in the shadows of overhangs. Is this a lighting spectrum thing? I can't think why else it would grow only in shadows and under rocks. I really want it to start growing everywhere again; what do I do?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
High phosphates inhibit calcium uptake, so that's probably it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Those look like radioactive dragon eyes, a very common type of polyp.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

HDR camera app on my droid bionic. Don't expect anything ~amazing~, but it's neat.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Finally finished a pico tank project I've been working off and on for the last few months.

The display is a plastic animal cracker container from Target. It took a few months to finish all the crackers to start working on it.

Total expenses so far is around $80. Shipping for bulkheads is killer -- nobody has any locally. Picked up a few pounds of dry base rock from bulkreefsupply and a bit of dry rock rubble.

Built the center stack from a CD spindle, and used that gray putty stuff to permanently affix it and make it one solid structure.

Painted the back of the bear black, cut a hole in the lid and silicone'd a piece of plexiglass there. Makes it almost water tight. The drain is a modified HGB (the air vent is actually on the outside of the tank instead of in the cap). The return is a molded piece of PVC with a bunch of holes drilled in for random water movement.

The sand is from my old 90's refugium.

The sump is just a ~12 gallon locking plastic container.

It took quite a bit of playing with the drain to make it quiet. It is as quiet as I can expect a two part aquarium to be. My 24 gallon AquaPod was louder.

I may have to get a smaller return pump. There is possibly too much flow up top, and I've got the restrictor on the pump set to its lowest setting.

After it is cycled, I plan on using a Luxo swing arm lamp with an Evilc66 PAR38 LED lamp. It will be filled with some zoanthids and a few gobies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm so confused. How big is that thing that you plan on putting a couple of gobies in it?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm so confused. How big is that thing that you plan on putting a couple of gobies in it?

The display holds maybe 1.5 gallons. I'm thinking a pair of neon gobies and maybe a catalina goby. Would also like to get a few sexy shrimp again. I think they'd be perfect for this.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
I wouldnt even put fish in there. such a low bio load

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's a 1.5 gal display with a 12 gal sump, he can fit a couple pico fish in there no problem.

My problem with it is using the bear as a display results in too much viewing distortion :qq:

Also the CREE LED Par38 is possibly too much light for a 1.5 gal, though I'm using it on my Dymax IQ3--the way it is right now, any positioning I can put it without causing TOO much light spread around the tank, anything inside cooks without a LONG time of acclimation, though zoanthids LOVE that light once they're getting it regular.

The rockwork inside might also cause too much shadowing from a spotlight like that, I certainly had that problem in the Dymax. I would take some rocks out and keep the rockwork, heightwise, lower, only as high as the chest area.

I would also cook that rock. Leaching nutrients from my rockwork in the Dymax, combined with the ridiculously high light output from the LEDs, caused some algae problems I was able to clear up by simply removing the rock and cooking it. I haven't put the rocks back in since.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 25, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f254/20-000-gallon-tank-construction-62008/

"Installing a home around your aquarium"

phenomenal build. definitely worth following along with and the thread is filled with pictures.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wow that's an inspiration. And he built skimmers on his cnc machine.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Yup. A High School drop out with a 20gallon aquarium that has a $1500~ electric bill and a month and 2-3 Ferrari's. Cmoonnnnnnnn thats a crazy life. I mean did you see the lighting? 16 - 400-watt MH, I don't know what to say that.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Like 10 pages in he posts a few pictures of his ferraris.

He seems to be doing well for a dropout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
He mentions what it is he dropped out to start doing in the thread.

How the hell does a 17 year old get the idea to drop out and start a business doing that? It boggles my mind, I can see a kid coming up with some crazy invention that makes him millions, but how do you even find out about a business oppurtunity buying and rebuilding high end industrial equipment at 17? It just seems like such a random thing to end up doing.

• Locked thread