Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Unfortunately no pooping shots. These were taken at the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary on Cape Cod.

Great Egret by EPICAC, on Flickr

Forster's Tern (Juvenile) by EPICAC, on Flickr

Green Heron by EPICAC, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Saw a Red-Tailed Hawk chowing down on a squirrel today.

Red-Tailed Hawk by EPICAC, on Flickr

Red-Tailed Hawk by EPICAC, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Good job catching the hawk at mealtime.

I spent some time with the kites at Arcata Marsh yesterday

I got a little too close to this one's favorite perch and got a nasty look

A black oystercatcher

Turkey vulture

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

This night heron flew right in front of me and I was lucky able to snag two shots right at it's closest approach.

Night Heron by AmadanNB

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Really digging this shot. Great low angle on the bird!

Moon Potato posted:

I spent some time with the kites at Arcata Marsh yesterday

All nice photos, but this one really stands out for me. The wing blur makes it almost dreamy.

Graniteman posted:

This night heron flew right in front of me and I was lucky able to snag two shots right at it's closest approach.

Night Heron by AmadanNB
Great shot! I snagged a shot of a juvenile last night (incorrectly thinking it was a bittern):

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

This is what it looks like when a kite gives you the stinkeye.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Oh poo poo, there's a bird photography thread on SA? I had no idea. Here's some stuff I took a little earlier this year in Eastern Oregon:

Black Necked Stilt

Clark's Nutcracker

House Wren

Lewis's Woodpecker

Loggerhead Shrike

Whiteheaded Woodpecker

Western Tanager

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Oh poo poo, there's a bird photography thread on SA? I had no idea. Here's some stuff I took a little earlier this year in Eastern Oregon:

Black Necked Stilt

Clark's Nutcracker

House Wren

Lewis's Woodpecker

Loggerhead Shrike

Whiteheaded Woodpecker

Western Tanager
Welcome to the thread, I hope we're going to see a lot more from you as those are all amazing!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

Welcome to the thread, I hope we're going to see a lot more from you as those are all amazing!

Thanks! Knowing this thread is here will give me some motivation to get on that post-processing I've been putting off. Those gannet photos you put up a bit ago are awesome, by the way.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Welcome to the thread, 800. Everything you posted there is fantastic - if you don't mind me asking, what are you shooting with?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Moon Potato posted:

Welcome to the thread, 800. Everything you posted there is fantastic - if you don't mind me asking, what are you shooting with?

Thank you! I'm shooting with a Canon 1D MkIV and a 300mm f2.8 non-IS. I usually have either a 1.4x or 2x TC attached but a few of those, like the Lewis's WP and White Headed WP are bare.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you! I'm shooting with a Canon 1D MkIV and a 300mm f2.8 non-IS. I usually have either a 1.4x or 2x TC attached but a few of those, like the Lewis's WP and White Headed WP are bare.

Just echoing everyone else but your shots are incredible. What is your process for getting these shots? Do you just find a nice looking stick and wait for something to land on it? Do you have birdfeed near it or something?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Heh, yeah sort of. Most of those were taken from a hide with perches set up around a water attraction. Birds like dripping or running water. You can set up a jug of water with a pin hole or spigot on a crossbar over some sort of catch basin like a small dish or even a depression in the ground lined with plastic and, as long as you're not too near a major water source they like better, you'll probably see some birds showing up. This works really well in dry areas, of course, but I'm pretty sure you'd get something just about anywhere there are birds. Set up some attractive perches and a hide nearby and you're good to go.

Of course, some of those photos were done the hard way, like the shrike and the stilt. Those I had to go find and then wait until they acclimated enough to my presence to get close enough for a good shot. Shorebirds are a little easier than passerines; they'll start off skittish but then forget you're there after like 20 minutes and focus on finding food. Then you can kind of crawl up to them or wait for them to come to you. Usually, waiting is better.

jtd123
Oct 27, 2005

Bluish-fronted Jacamar, taken near the Tambopata River in Peru.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
That's nice! I want to go to South/Central America again soooo bad. I have friends living in Bolivia and an open invitation to stay with them. I really need to find a way to make that happen. Do you live down there or are you vacationing?

e: Also, this might be interesting to bird photographers in general: Sigma is working on some new big primes. 300mm and 400mm f2.8's and 500mm and 600mm f4's with OS to compete directly with Canon/Nikon. The way they've been doing things lately this is very promising to those of us who would who can't put down $13k for big glass.

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 5, 2013

jtd123
Oct 27, 2005

Do you live down there or are you vacationing?

My wife and I had backpacked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, then we spent some time in the Peruvian Amazon River Basin camping close to the Tambopata clay lick. It was a great experience. If you get to the lick before dawn, you start to see hundreds of macaws (Scarlet, Chestnut-fronted, Blue and Yellow, Red and Green, Blue-headed) along with thousands of parrots (Mealy, Yellow-cheeked/Red-lored Amazon, Blue-headed, etc.) begin flying in to perch on the tops of the highest trees. As dawn breaks, first the parrots, followed by the macaws, begin to slowly work their way down until finally they begin landing on the clay and ingesting it before flying off.

If you're a bird/animal lover, it should definitely be on your bucket list.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Oh my god, that sounds amazing. Added to list of poo poo to see before I die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5Zb4Msjvw

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm off to the rainforests of Ecuador for a few days in April before spending a week in the Galapagos. Pretty stoked about it. Never been to South America before so should be give a lot of firsts.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

jtd123 posted:

My wife and I had backpacked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, then we spent some time in the Peruvian Amazon River Basin camping close to the Tambopata clay lick. It was a great experience. If you get to the lick before dawn, you start to see hundreds of macaws (Scarlet, Chestnut-fronted, Blue and Yellow, Red and Green, Blue-headed) along with thousands of parrots (Mealy, Yellow-cheeked/Red-lored Amazon, Blue-headed, etc.) begin flying in to perch on the tops of the highest trees. As dawn breaks, first the parrots, followed by the macaws, begin to slowly work their way down until finally they begin landing on the clay and ingesting it before flying off.

If you're a bird/animal lover, it should definitely be on your bucket list.
I did this same trip before I was into photography and birding. I can't wait to do it again with proper gear now (although I won't be hiking the trail with anything heavy, that's for sure).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I took my new-to-me K-5 for a test-drive last night, and two of the family of three Swainson's Hawks that my GF has told me are usually around decided to yell at us and then strut around for a bit. Here's one of them. Not the best pictures by any stretch, but I'm happy I can crank up the ISO on this camera far enough to even attempt shots at sunset.

Trying out my K-5 15 by Execudork, on Flickr

Trying out my K-5 16 by Execudork, on Flickr

Trying out my K-5 17 by Execudork, on Flickr

I think it was hunting the big grasshoppers (probably Road Dusters, Dissosteira carolina). All three are remarkably tolerant of humans, I usually only get out-of-focus tail feathers if I try to approach a big buteo.

This morning I went to the same area - it's just off my daily commute - and found what I think is the juvenile of the family, and some smaller birds that were eyeing the hawk a bit nervously.

Bird on a Wire 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Bird on a Wire 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Bird on a Wire 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

I'm pretty happy with my new camera.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

If anyone in northern California or southern Oregon is really into raptors, there's a giant mess of white-tailed kites getting super-territorial at Arcata Marsh right now. I counted seven individuals hunting and fighting for territory in the same field tonight (I'll have some pictures and possibly video up soon). I'll gladly offer my guest bed for the devoted bird photographer that wants to make the trip, because this is just about the craziest I've seen poo poo get in almost a year of filming in the area.

Sparowe
Jun 27, 2010

Like a bird on the wire...
We're seeing some of the migrants coming back down here to South Africa as we head into the warmer seasons, which means more raptors! And weather that is conducive to actually heading out and doing some watching and shooting...

Out of interest, I want to know how many of you are influenced in your photography by "big names" in your local birding communities (or international), and if any of you are keen listers? I have an odd desire to know numbers so I can cry at what a measly number my life-list is currently sitting at.

Cape White-eye in the middle of nibbling on a persimmon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Sparowe posted:

We're seeing some of the migrants coming back down here to South Africa as we head into the warmer seasons, which means more raptors! And weather that is conducive to actually heading out and doing some watching and shooting...

Out of interest, I want to know how many of you are influenced in your photography by "big names" in your local birding communities (or international), and if any of you are keen listers? I have an odd desire to know numbers so I can cry at what a measly number my life-list is currently sitting at.

Cape White-eye in the middle of nibbling on a persimmon.

In case you missed it, there's now an A/T Birding thread. I'm maybe kind of an odd-ball in that I grew up birding (my parents were birders and all-around naturalists- both got graduate training in zoology although neither continued very far in academia). My life list is pretty lame considering that I've been birding all my life, I think I'm between 550 and 600 North America, and if I constructed a world-wide list it would be probably around 1200 or so, but I've done almost no birding outside of the Americas. I used to be a lot more into listing but I've become more mellow about it over the past 10 years or so.

Sparowe
Jun 27, 2010

Like a bird on the wire...

Thanks! I didn't know it existed. :)

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some stills from last night's kite filming:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some random stuff from the weekend. Migration time is fun, you never know what you're going to get!

Juvenile Swaison's

Bonaparte's Gull

Sandhill Crane

Peregrine Falcon

Moon Potato posted:

Some stills from last night's kite filming:

Can't wait to see the video!

Are these guys practising the food hand-off or is this the territorial fighting you were mentioning?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Are these guys practising the food hand-off or is this the territorial fighting you were mentioning?
Those are all fantastic shots - especially the peregrine. I have yet to see one in flight that wasn't way off in the distance.

Those pictures are from the territorial fighting I was talking about. After looking through all the footage, it's consistently the adults attacking the juveniles (from the locations the kites were coming from, I'm pretty sure they were attacking their own children). I don't know if they're trying to teach their children how to fight or if they're trying to drive them away to different hunting territory. I couldn't find any detailed behavior resources about kites online, so I've ordered a couple books from amazon.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Great stuff! Seconding wanting to see the video.

I've been jonesing for some hot shorebird action for a while but a trip to the coast has been eluding me. I made do with some Sanderlings at a beach on the Columbia:

(I blew the highlights pretty bad on this one but the pose and flare were cool so gently caress it whatevs.)

Here's a Western Sandpiper that was hanging with the Sanderling crew:

I swear, shorebirds are like easy mode for bird photography. Hang around them for like 10 minutes and they stop giving any fucks about the big mammal laying on the beach 10ft away. These guys were coming inside my MFD and were literally close enough to touch at times.

No bird, you are too close!

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 10, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I really like this one but it feels like it could use just a touch of left rotation.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I really like this one but it feels like it could use just a touch of left rotation.

You are correct, the horizon was just a touch out of horizontal. Fixed it.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

While scouting for filming locations yesterday, I came across a group of belted kingfishers. I had only seen them on telephone wires along the highway before, so I'm kind of excited about it.

A juvenile great egret struggling to stay above the water while fishing

This is an extreme crop from a lovely picture taken hastily, but can anyone help ID this raptor?

From the yellow legs and plumage, I'm thinking peregrine falcon (carrying off a least sandpiper?), but it's hard to tell for sure without seeing the head.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Moon Potato posted:

From the yellow legs and plumage, I'm thinking peregrine falcon (carrying off a least sandpiper?), but it's hard to tell for sure without seeing the head.

My first thought would be male harrier because of the light gray plumage but I can't see if there's a white patch above the tail and it doesn't seem like there are dark trailing edges on the wings? Any other frames to look at?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Without digging out the book, I would say nothing looks wrong for Peregrine Falcon. The fact that it's carrying a shorebird would lean that way as well. Peregrines hunt shorebirds like crazy, but Harriers tend to be slow hunters that pounce on small rodents.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
You're probably right, I've just never seen a peregrine that looked that light colored. It's probably just the overcast lighting making it look that way though.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Sorry, the only other picture I got of it had even less detail and a less-revealing angle than that one.

Here's a clear shot of the local male harrier (the only non-brown specimen I've seen in the area) for reference:

The mystery raptor pic isn't horribly detailed and has flat lighting, but I'm not seeing the black wing edges, and the underbelly is looking more consistently mottled than on the harrier. The body looks a little more robust as well.

This has me digging through my footage archive now... I got some fairly crappy distant shots of a couple peregrines in the same area back in June, and those are looking like a pretty solid match

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

This is great. Love the framing.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is great. Love the framing.

Thank you. I lucked out with him landing on the only dead branch on the tree, too - the orange needles go well with his dark blue feathers.

I'm still waiting for some good light to get some footage of them - it's been waffling between rainy, foggy and overcast over the last few days. Hopefully I'll get a break in the clouds before they move on.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
Got to test my new 70D.

Great Blue Heron

and...

Hypnotized fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.