Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

FR (a REIT mentioned here previously) was up almost 8% today. I dont see any news from today and the sector as a whole didnt perform especially well. Its not that I am specifically curious about this stock today, but how would I be able to find out why such a big price move happens? I see this regularly, especially with smaller securities, where there is a big move but none of the major sites list any news for that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nifty posted:

FR (a REIT mentioned here previously) was up almost 8% today. I dont see any news from today and the sector as a whole didnt perform especially well. Its not that I am specifically curious about this stock today, but how would I be able to find out why such a big price move happens? I see this regularly, especially with smaller securities, where there is a big move but none of the major sites list any news for that day.

Zero Hedge says:

quote:

In the monthly CMBS Market Trends update from Fitch we read that the hotel delinquency rate has just passed the psychological 20% delinquency threshold for the first time. As of August, 20.80% of all hotel-backed loans is in some stage of delinquency (up from 18.64% in July): that means that one in five (and rising) hotel-backed loans will likely never be repaid and proceed to liquidation. These and such are the ways, when underlying assets refuse to generate enough cash flow to satisfy interest requirements, let along create equity value... Which should explain why publicly-traded REITs are trading at near record highs.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I actually had already read that article, but it did not make much sense to me. To me, the last sentence sounded sarcastic or something. How does high delinquency rates and insufficient cash flow mean REITs should be trading higher?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I think we might break out of the 1040-1130 trading range this time. The market managed to reach the upper end of the range with financials barely participating and tech declining. When those two sectors catch up, we could very well break 1130.

At the citi conference last week AMAT and CREE both reiterated their growth targets, they're not seeing this supposed slow down in semis at all. AMAT actually called the recent sell off on tech "paranoid". They are so beaten down atm they could be a very good bet if you're willing to sit through the short term volatility. Just keep in mind that oct is traditionally the weakest month for semis and apr is traditionally the strongest month.

Also if we look at the market historically, there has only once been a bull market that only lasted one year, which was during the great depression.

Nifty posted:

I actually had already read that article, but it did not make much sense to me. To me, the last sentence sounded sarcastic or something. How does high delinquency rates and insufficient cash flow mean REITs should be trading higher?

Could be contrarians betting it up? Daily volume on FR is only a million shares...

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 11, 2010

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Nifty posted:

I feel the same way, furthermore unless FR is gonna pull something special, its financials don't look healthy too. I wonder why its up 8%.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
What websites do you guys get your company news info from? I've just been using yahoo finance, but it seems to miss a fair amount of stuff.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

dlink posted:

I feel the same way, furthermore unless FR is gonna pull something special, its financials don't look healthy too. I wonder why its up 8%.

FR is an industrial properties REIT, and data from the manufacturing sector has been very strong, that could be the reason why it's up.

Hotel delinquency rates aren't too relevant to FR.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

Nifty posted:

I'll say it again. Be very careful when buying FR. It is definitely high risk, high reward potential and it is volatile enough that you can make some money if you're into trading, but if some serious bad news hits that is particularly in contrast to the rest of the Industrial REITs you can rest assured this thing is going to get hit bad. FR is a hard stock to stomach and REITs in general aren't familiar to a large majority of investors. Even google news seems to not "understand" the differences between industrial real estate companies and other commercial developers (Hotel, Warehouse/Industrial, Medical, Laboratory, Bio-Tech, Educational/Institutional, Office, etc.). Right now the whole Industrial property market is sort of crappy, but recovering and a good rule of thumb is that commercial real estate lags the general market by a 9-15 months. Refer back to a couple of my posts in this thread regarding it and as always do your own research. To be honest it's just as likely to drop to $4.30 tomorrow as it is to go to $5.20 or higher.

Edit: I'm keeping the caution pretty high (trading in and out rather than holding) until I see healthy absorption and occupancy in their quarterly reports and ideally some mention of dividends being brought back for common shares at which point I can't imagine the price staying low anymore. I'm pretty confident in the company itself, but a good company doesn't mean much of poo poo if the economy at large and the market dries it out.

Jabbu fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 13, 2010

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005
Does anyone have any preferences for good yielding dividend stocks that aren't financial? I was thinking about adding some more to my portfolio.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

ReD_XIII posted:

Does anyone have any preferences for good yielding dividend stocks that aren't financial? I was thinking about adding some more to my portfolio.

Lots of choices these days

telecoms, JNJ, Utilities (SO, etc), there is alot out there.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Free Gucci Mane posted:

What websites do you guys get your company news info from? I've just been using yahoo finance, but it seems to miss a fair amount of stuff.

I'd like to echo this, and ask about software - anything off the shelf you guys are using? Googling for information it too packed with useless blogs and crappy advice to find anything impartial.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If we close above 1117 I'm buying an assload of OOM calls on SPY or FAS.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Indeed, I think this could be the rally to get us out of the range.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
What is causing all the MasterCard (MA) hate? It has been destroyed in the last few months.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
I feel really drat dumb and might as well document it here. Was going to increase my position in GE by 1,000 shares below $15 ($14.50-$14.90 range), but for whatever greedy reason I thought I could get it below $14 this time around. Seems my greed cost me, at least in the short term. If I could have done things differently, I would have bought around 500 at my original price, then bought another 500 if it went lower. I didn't buy nearly as much as I would have liked in the August dip.

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Gamesguy posted:

Indeed, I think this could be the rally to get us out of the range.

IWM broke through the 200 MA so I'm inclined to believe this will take us up a ways more, also the weekly stochastic on IWM shows there's still a ways to go. 1130.20 is a pretty big target. If IWM can power SPY past 113.2 then this might be a longer rally.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
If it wasn't for the occasional day like today I'd probably lose interest.

And I might be moved to sell Windstream and Qwest if they go much higher.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

games on. $SPX calls for 1130!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

Alas, though I had my iPhone in had, I was occupied and didn't put the orders in.

Tomorrow morning though.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Jabbu posted:

I feel really drat dumb and might as well document it here. Was going to increase my position in GE by 1,000 shares below $15 ($14.50-$14.90 range), but for whatever greedy reason I thought I could get it below $14 this time around. Seems my greed cost me, at least in the short term. If I could have done things differently, I would have bought around 500 at my original price, then bought another 500 if it went lower. I didn't buy nearly as much as I would have liked in the August dip.

GE is my largest single holding at ~400 shares and there books make me nervous. I don't have the stomach to hold more than that

poopfart
May 5, 2010
ARNA ruined my month. If anyone else is in the same boat, you are not alone.

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Time for that GDX play I was waiting for!

50 at 54.74 this morning, and when the 15 minute chart comes back down on the stochastics, i'm pushing this one hard!

Click here for the full 805x526 image.

Hopefully this one pulls an FCX and runs up for 6 straight days. I profit took way too early on FCX. But it is profits, so hey.

edit: in fact im going to pull the trigger on shorting medtronic now too. It's daily stochastic is right on the precipice of turning over, and it has been so weak as hell lately. 25 shares at 33.10, It touched 30.80 last week, let's see if we can get back to that support.

ToiletLaw fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 14, 2010

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Foma posted:

GE is my largest single holding at ~400 shares and there books make me nervous. I don't have the stomach to hold more than that

GE had a breakout point failure around late July at 16.57 or so. It's daily is maxed out, but the weekly shows it could go higher in the next couple of weeks. However this run up to resistance has probably 15-20% less volume which makes it breaking out above 16.57 even more unlikely. I'll wager it starts to come back down next week.

poopfart
May 5, 2010

poopfart posted:

ARNA ruined my month. If anyone else is in the same boat, you are not alone.

This is what I get for going against numerous analyst predictions. I went against analysts on VVUS, and not only shorted it, but shorted it with 100% of my margin funds. I made a killing there. Too bad I didn't listen up and think the same about ARNA. The only saving grace now is the possible SVNT ruling today, if indeed the FDA rules on it rather than delays it like they have been doing to everything recently. Welp, whats a goon to do?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

poopfart posted:

This is what I get for going against numerous analyst predictions. I went against analysts on VVUS, and not only shorted it, but shorted it with 100% of my margin funds. I made a killing there. Too bad I didn't listen up and think the same about ARNA. The only saving grace now is the possible SVNT ruling today, if indeed the FDA rules on it rather than delays it like they have been doing to everything recently. Welp, whats a goon to do?

Betting on biotech based on FDA rulings is essentially gambling tbh.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

It looks like RIMM has been trading flat approaching Thurday's earnings. I'm thinking there will be significant price action whatever the results may be. Would a 45 Oct 10 straddle be a smart move going into earnings?

poopfart
May 5, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

And my reposition, fully invested with margin, in SVNT just repayed me back for my bad day HAHAHAHAHAHA gently caress YOU WALL STREET

poopfart
May 5, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

But really, I know. I likes it though

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

poopfart posted:

SVNT approved, curious why you didn't pull out of ARNA after the 100% run?

poopfart
May 5, 2010

destructo posted:

SVNT approved, curious why you didn't pull out of ARNA after the 100% run?

Honestly I just bought in to let the stock run up a bit prior to FDA review and get out before it. DID NOT EXPECT A SURPRISE REPORT ABOUT THE loving TUMORS AND poo poo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Eco RI posted:

It looks like RIMM has been trading flat approaching Thurday's earnings. I'm thinking there will be significant price action whatever the results may be. Would a 45 Oct 10 straddle be a smart move going into earnings?
I'm thinking the same thing.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm thinking the same thing.

My thinking is that since it's been trading flat on some comparatively low volume for over a week, the big money doesn't know what the gently caress is about to happen. Not to mention analyst estimates are anywhere from $1.23 to $1.45/share. I think it's a sure bet on at least some volatility.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Eco RI posted:

My thinking is that since it's been trading flat on some comparatively low volume for over a week, the big money doesn't know what the gently caress is about to happen. Not to mention analyst estimates are anywhere from $1.23 to $1.45/share. I think it's a sure bet on at least some volatility.
Passed on the straddle, went with a volatility spread.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

Josh Lyman posted:

Passed on the straddle, went with a volatility spread.

Probably a good move. I've never been clear how this is different from a strangle (if it is different at all).

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Eco RI posted:

Probably a good move. I've never been clear how this is different from a strangle (if it is different at all).

With a straddle you don't close out the OOM end of the spread once the equity in question makes a move, with a volatility spread you do. But initially a volatility spread has the same exact setup as a long straddle.

And I constructed one on rimm as well.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

Gamesguy posted:

With a straddle you don't close out the OOM end of the spread once the equity in question makes a move, with a volatility spread you do. But initially a volatility spread has the same exact setup as a long straddle.

Thanks for this. So, by definition, when is the right time to close the OOM option in a straddle? Also, at what point(s) do you guys intend to take profits on this move?

e: do you guys use http://www.optionslam.com/index.html ? This seems pretty drat handy if you're doing a considerable amount of trading on volatility.

Eco RI fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 15, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Gamesguy posted:

It doesn't have anything to do with trade management, a vol spread is simply buying puts and calls to get yourself delta-neutral. In theory that will be a straddle, in practice it's often a strangle.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Plastic Jesus posted:

It doesn't have anything to do with trade management, a vol spread is simply buying puts and calls to get yourself delta-neutral. In theory that will be a straddle, in practice it's often a strangle.
Right. Because RIMM was at 45 and change, I bought calls at 47.5 and puts at 42.5. I'll close both positions on Friday.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

This is looking highly unlikely.

on another note, CSCO woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Can anyone recommend me some resources for reviewing news by sector? Like say I wanted to get a feed of news about companies in the services sector.