Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Disclaimer: I also have a custom Ruckus where the only remaining stock bits are the frame and body panels (yay plentiful 2 stroke Minarelli clones!) But mine actually sits a teensy bit higher than a stock one partly due to 12 versus 10 inch wheels. I'm currently in the process of lengthening the control wiring after installing Euro bars and bar end LED turn signals. Rainbow spaghetti.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I went to an unveiling event for the Vespa 946 last night at Vespa Seattle.

It's going to change the market. It's unlike anything else and Vespa is going to force other brands to meet them. It proves Vespa is still the name to be reckoned with in the scooter world, making a more daring and advanced scooter than anyone else. I wrote about more about it and snapped some lovely cellphone photos but Orin at Scootin' Old Skool did it better already, so just look at his thing. He was at the same event as me. Odd dude.

I don't think it's as beautiful in person as it needed to be. I don't think it would stand out that dramatically alongside an LX, S, and GTS. I think a scooter that's twice the going rate and sold on it's beauty and exclusivity (3,600 worldwide, 300 in the Americas) should be stunning, and it isn't. Consider how a Panigale stands out. Or an Aventador. This doesn't do that.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It's going to change the market. It's unlike anything else and Vespa is going to force other brands to meet them. It proves Vespa is still the name to be reckoned with in the scooter world, making a more daring and advanced scooter than anyone else. I wrote about more about it and snapped some lovely cellphone photos but Orin at Scootin' Old Skool did it better already, so just look at his thing. He was at the same event as me. Odd dude.

I don't think it's as beautiful in person as it needed to be. I don't think it would stand out that dramatically alongside an LX, S, and GTS. I think a scooter that's twice the going rate and sold on it's beauty and exclusivity (3,600 worldwide, 300 in the Americas) should be stunning, and it isn't. Consider how a Panigale stands out. Or an Aventador. This doesn't do that.

It doesn't look that good, the engine is poo poo and if it really weights 150+Kg it's going to be slow as gently caress, I don't think it's even worth 5000$ so for 10k forget it. Sure it's going to be exclusive but for the pile of poo poo it is it at that price I don't even think it will tempt people.

I was actually expecting a cool full color screen for the dashboard and you get a lovely backlit digital thing, also no storage.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Your third paragraph contradicts your second. I don't see what's so special about it that makes it worth that kind of cash.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Your third paragraph contradicts your second. I don't see what's so special about it that makes it worth that kind of cash.

I think it can be both market-leaking in design and technology and not STILL not be impressive enough for its cost. Maybe they'd have had a case at $7k or $8k.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

The guy who designed it says he was inspired by an alarm clock. That explains why the instrument readout is the way it is.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The guy who designed it says he was inspired by an alarm clock. That explains why the instrument readout is the way it is.

Dash courtesy of A Sharper Image

I used to hang out at a Vespa dealer (they also sold Triumph / Guzzi), and the 'who buys what Vespa for how much' is disconnected from logic in a way Harley would envy. I can't imagine parking this thing unattended anywhere in Manhattan or an Ivy League town, but I can still see the demand there being ravenous, completely independently of whether it's objectively good.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I like the look of the scooter, but where is the storage at?

I like the look of that Yamaha 3 wheeler mp3 ripoff, but drat if 125 cc isn't too small. I have enough trouble with my 125 cc scooter if it's a super windy day above 45 mph. If they had a 250 cc one, I'd buy it in a second... Also a lot easier to find a yamaha dealer in the area than a Piaggio dealer.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Peugeot also sells a 3 wheeler and it looks like a Smart in the middle of transforming into a robot.

I installed Euro motorcycle handlebars and LED bar-end turn signals on the Ruckus last night. Then I spent a good hour or so lengthening the handlebar controls so all the plugs would go inside the battery box. Next week, a color-matched lowered seat frame should arrive. It cost me a little over $40, which is at least what I would have paid for a good angle grinder to mangle the stock seat. The current riding position is a tad uncomfortable with the increased ride height coupled with lowered handlebar height.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yesss, more Ruckus posts please. I'm starting to catch the bug.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Reasons I could not own a ruckus: the aftermarket.

I'd turn a ruckus into a $10k pile of metal so fast if I had one :(

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I don't think it's as beautiful in person as it needed to be.

Turn signal pods ruin everything.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I'm still in the process of wiring all of the gauges but I at least got my speedometer hooked up before my first attempt at riding it to work. The steering was binding during my commute and it's rather unsettling to the point where I don't want to take it past 35 MPH or so, which is fine since that's the maximum speed limit on my route. The guy who welded the engine and suspension mounts milled down the China scoot's steering tube to fit in the Ruckus frame, but something just feels...off about it. Also the stem is a completely different shape so it bangs into the battery box at full lock. Oh and the forks dive a few inches just from me getting on even though I weigh less than 150 pounds. It handles the same as if I have a flat front tire.

It's too bad my attempt at recycling backfired, as I finally got the wheel centered and brake caliper aligned with a zillion washers. Thankfully, I still have my stock steering stem and there are plenty of aftermarket Ruckus and Dio fork tubes and brake calipers. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for all that stuff, but I do want to be comfortable riding.

Oh and if you're going to use bar-end signals like I did, be sure to loctite the nuts. The combination of 2 stroke engine and uneven pavement has vibrated one of them loose so now I have a slightly dangly signal held in by the rubber plug and a nut rattling around inside my handlebar. :(

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Cross-post from CA Marketplace:

I'm selling my 2001 Honda Elite 80 - needs some work. $300 to a goon. Here's my ad:

-------------------

2001 Honda Elite 80 (CH80), asking $400. I have the title, and registration is current but coming due at the end of March.

----------------------------------
The good:
- Battery is less than a year old
- Both tires are good. Rear has less than 100 miles on it.
- The seat cover was removed and replaced, it's in great condition.
- I'm throwing in a helmet (Men's large or XL maybe.) if you want it.
- It will get around 75 miles per gallon.
- It gets up to about 40 miles per hour with me on it, and I weigh about 225. Downhill about 45-47mph.
- It has under 8,000 miles on it.
- Everything works - lights, signals, horn, etc.
- Brakes are great with brand new pads on the rear and year old pads on the front.

The plastic is not great, but it stays in place on the road. One of the side covers broke in the front corner and there are bumper stickers over a lot of the body.

What's wrong with it:
It recently developed an oil leak and I stopped riding it for 3 months. Last month I took off the right crank case cover and fixed the oil leak (The gasket had split) and drove it 15 miles to work the next morning. It got me to work fine and then after work wouldn't start. I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm positive that it's something to do with my repair. Something to do with the flywheel or the stator/starter.

Backstory:
I picked this scooter up as a project. It was not running when I got it due to low compression, so I took the motor apart and replaced the piston rings and all of the gaskets that were removed to get in to it. The exhaust/muffler was also repaired. I had a local welder reinforce the piping and close up all of the little cracks and holes he could find. The carburetor was cleaned and it has only had 91 octane since I've been riding it. I drove it with no problems for about 2,000 miles.

I'm hoping somebody that likes tinkering will pick this up and have some fun with it. I have the factory service manual, as well as a flywheel puller that I will include. Also a spare air filter and a few other misc. items.

Call me, text me, e-mail me - I'm happy to answer any questions.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I installed a lower seat frame on the Ruckus this weekend. Now I no longer have to stand on my tiptoes when not moving. I also futzed with wiring gauges and lights as well as mounting a Mikuni vacuum fuel pump, but those aren't noticeable with all the body panels put back on. I need a set of non-poo poo mirrors. Those are the donor China scoot's controls, so the only mirror that fit was the left one from the Ruckus. Stupid honda and their stupid not reverse-threaded right side mirrors.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm looking to get a new Symba 100 from a local dealer. Do you negotiate on prices like you do with a car or should I be grateful if I can get MSRP out the door? Maybe some accessories? I really have no clue, the mark up can't be huge on a 2.5k bike so I doubt they have a lot of room but I don't want to get taken. It doesn't help that there are only 2 dealers in 70mi that carries it either.

Edit:

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm selling my 2001 Honda Elite 80 - needs some work. $300 to a goon. Here's my ad:

-------------------

2001 Honda Elite 80 (CH80), asking $400. I have the title, and registration is current but coming due at the end of March.

The good:
- It gets up to about 40 miles per hour with me on it, and I weigh about 225. Downhill about 45-47mph.
- Brakes are great with brand new pads on the rear and year old pads on the front.

The plastic is not great, but it stays in place on the road. One of the side covers broke in the front corner and there are bumper stickers over a lot of the body.

What's wrong with it:
It recently developed an oil leak and I stopped riding it for 3 months. Last month I took off the right crank case cover and fixed the oil leak (The gasket had split) and drove it 15 miles to work the next morning. It got me to work fine and then after work wouldn't start. I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm positive that it's something to do with my repair. Something to do with the flywheel or the stator/starter.

Backstory:
I picked this scooter up as a project. It was not running when I got it due to low compression, so I took the motor apart and replaced the piston rings and all of the gaskets that were removed to get in to it. The exhaust/muffler was also repaired. I had a local welder reinforce the piping and close up all of the little cracks and holes he could find. The carburetor was cleaned and it has only had 91 octane since I've been riding it. I drove it with no problems for about 2,000 miles.

I'm hoping somebody that likes tinkering will pick this up and have some fun with it. I have the factory service manual, as well as a flywheel puller that I will include. Also a spare air filter and a few other misc. items.

Actually I live in the area and might be intersted. I'll PM you.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hobohemian posted:

I'm looking to get a new Symba 100 from a local dealer. Do you negotiate on prices like you do with a car or should I be grateful if I can get MSRP out the door? Maybe some accessories? I really have no clue, the mark up can't be huge on a 2.5k bike so I doubt they have a lot of room but I don't want to get taken. It doesn't help that there are only 2 dealers in 70mi that carries it either.

Edit:

Yes you can haggle, and yes you should.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

Edit:

I e-mailed you - I'd do $250 to a goon. My responses to the original Craigslist ad at $400 got me offers of $200, $200, and $125. People have told me "It's a lovely scooter," and "come on man b real." It's been awesome for me, aside from the most recent breakdown which I don't think would be too hard to fix. I don't want to spend the time to figure it out any more.

I'm also open to trades - my main motivation for selling is that I got a motorcycle, and space is a premium where I live. I currently have the two bikes and my wrangler all fitting in to one space.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 29, 2014

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Elites are awesome. I have a savings account labeled "In case of Scooter with pop-up headlight."

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Hobohemian posted:

I paid under MSRP OTD for my Zuma 125, so it is possible, but it's not common to have much negotiation room on scooters. The markup is low. Fight on freight and setup fees, though, and be sure to call more distant dealers too.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

-------------------

The good:

What's wrong with it:

Backstory:

Anybody want this for $200?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Man for $200 I would love to gently caress around with it. But I'm in GA.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

Anybody want this for $200?

If I can find a friend with a truck to take me to get it, you may have a buyer.

e: I also PM'd you.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 6, 2014

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
So after just short of a year, I've killed my little TaoTao. Electrical issues caused me to use the kickstarter way too much. Kickstarter finally went out. Looks to be a simple fix, but I'm gonna use it as an excuse to get another one until I get around to working on it.

Any suggestions for cheap 50cc scooters? Anything I should avoid? (I know, TaoTao...)

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

josiahgould posted:

So after just short of a year, I've killed my little TaoTao. Electrical issues caused me to use the kickstarter way too much. Kickstarter finally went out. Looks to be a simple fix, but I'm gonna use it as an excuse to get another one until I get around to working on it.

Any suggestions for cheap 50cc scooters? Anything I should avoid? (I know, TaoTao...)

Kickstarter is a wear item, there's a friction wheel inside the transmission case with teethes grabbing onto the variator and they wear out very quickly especially if you don't have proper kickstarting technique, it's a 20$ and 15 minutes job to fix

Part look like this : http://www.equiptonscoot.com/boutique/images_produits/3507-z.jpg

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I'm not sure why you would pay close to $1000 just to avoid replacing one of these parts from a 49cc GY6 (SH4's picture is from a 1E40QMB). The whole point of Chinese scooters is to be able to fix them cheaply when they break (which can be often). A replacement kick start gear assembly is like $20. If you aren't comfortable fixing your own stuff and don't want to deal with repairs frequently and don't want to spend lots of money, then look for used Japanese, Korean or Taiwanese (in descending price) models in your area. Depending on where you live, winter may reduce availability, but is a good time to find something cheap.

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
Oh, I plan to repair it. But like I said, just using it as an excuse to get another one. I like my scooter.

I've got the service manual downloaded, printed, and bound. Already watched a video on how to fix it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
UK Goons, how have you been faring through the hardcore wind this week?

I got a Yamaha Cyngus X last month (Will probably take a picture when it's less finger freezingly cold and grim out here), and while parked/chained at work it was blown over on its rear end last Wednesday, gaining one extra rash and a broken rear brake lever.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Both digital gauges are now hooked up on the Ruckus.

Here is a short video of it starting.

Left is speedo/odo/gas.

Right is tach/temp/clock.

I'll need to drill a hole in a cooling fin in order to install the temperature sensor, but at least I know everything works.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Handy cheat sheet for deciphering Chinese engine codes:

quote:

Number Of Cylinders

Layout: (P=Horizontal/Blank=Vertical/V=V-Type)

Operation: (Blank=4 Stroke/E=2 Stroke)

Bore Size: (mm)

Form Of Cooling: (Blank=Water/F=Natural Air/Q=Forced Air/Y=Oil Cooling)

Engine Use: (A=Automobile/M=Motorcycle)

Cubic Centimeters [CC]: (A=Less than 50/ B=50/ C=60/ D=70/ E=80/ F=90/ G=100/ H=110/ I=120/ J=150/ K=175/ L=200/ M=250/ N=300/ P=350/ Q=400/ R=500/ S=600/ T=650/ U=700/ V=750/ W=800/ X=900/ Y=1000/ YG=1100/ YL=1200)

And that's why my 1-cylinder horizontal 2-stroke 40mm bore forced air motorcycle engine with a 50cc displacement is known as a 1PE40QMB. Though now it would be a 1PE47QMD.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 23, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I think this is a really cool-looking vehicle but three hundred and forty six pounds? For a scooter?? That's as much as my steel-framed 1971 350cc motorcycle with a full tank of gas. Jesus.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/4359118108.html

So my elite was stolen, trashed, and sent to scooter heaven. I loved riding the doofy thing so much that I'm considering this one to replace it. I'm not terribly worried about the broken display, but if I were to try and get that fixed, how doable would it be for a novice? Or would I be better off taking it to a shop?

Also, is the aftermarket exhaust a red flag? It's hilariously ugly, but I guess that's part of why I like the elite in the first place.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That aftermarket exhaust looks suspiciously like a vacuum cleaner attachment

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Pulled the Elite 150 out of the garage yesterday to get the juices flowing, and a bunch of gas just started spewing out all over.

I didn't want the juices to flow like that. :(

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

The weather's warmed up so I've been tweaking the Ruckus further.

Quick recap: it used to look like the above picture when my roommate owned it. Someone stole it from our back yard one night.

A few weeks later, a friend spotted it in town chained to an electrical conduit. The thief had spray bombed it black, messed up the wiring to get it to run without a key, and damaged the gas tank prying off the locked cap. Our friend knew it was the same scooter because it had the same damaged turn signal stalk and 10,000 miles on the odometer. We all took turns guarding it until the cops came so my roommate could repossess it.

He already had put a deposit down on a brand new scooter before the stolen one was recovered. After being unable to fix the electrical issues which would drain the battery and keep the electric fuel pump from working, he sold it to me.

I had a 2-stroke Chinese scooter and figured why not just combine the two, so a friend did the welding and grinding and I did the wiring and (not so good) paint.

The only remaining Ruckus parts are the frame, body panels, headlights and seat. Everything else is a mixture of American (tail light, underseat storage), Bulgarian (engine bearings), Chinese (engine case halves, wheels, suspension, brakes, ignition coil, bar end turn signals, fenders), Italian (carburetor, exhaust, reed block, variator), Japanese (vacuum fuel pump) and Taiwanese (crankshaft, engine top end, handlebars, seat frame, gauges) parts. I'm planning on replacing the fork oil soon so it'll handle a tad better and dive less when braking.

Apologies for the Instagrammery.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 13, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Got any pics of when you had the case apart? How are the Chinese engine components holding up?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

They're just two hunks of aluminum and some studs and bolts. It's a pretty good copy of the Yamaha Minarelli engine. The final drive was geared pretty tall already so I left that alone, too. I soft seized it a few times last year, but that was because of the jet sizes I was running. I have yet to need replacing the rings. It usually starts after 1-3 kicks still after all the abuse it's taken.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

They're just two hunks of aluminum and some studs and bolts. It's a pretty good copy of the Yamaha Minarelli engine. The final drive was geared pretty tall already so I left that alone, too. I soft seized it a few times last year, but that was because of the jet sizes I was running. I have yet to need replacing the rings. It usually starts after 1-3 kicks still after all the abuse it's taken.

It's pretty different from a genuine minarelli, while the left side is identical the right side is completely different, a genuine block is like this http://www.raceandstyle.fr/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/d69656f322bde49c26871938f22f7ce9/c/a/carter_moteur_nitro.jpg

The chinese design looks much weaker and it looks like you can't fit an "overrange" variation, also it doesn't use the same kick start covers

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 23, 2014

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It uses the short case transmission cover like the Vino. Also I'm pretty sure an overrange setup would work. I would just need to remove the metal ring used to hold in place the old weighted starter gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I bought the Haynes 50-250cc scooter service manual but am not really doing much on my Elite. It sells for $32 new on Amazon but it's out of stock. Anyone wanna buy mine for $28 shipped?

(It's this one http://www.amazon.com/Scooters-Auto...+scooter+manual)