Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Although if you're that budget constrained it might not be any better than a decent smartphone camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bugger.

RX100 Mk1 that I got for an ex-display steal of £90, when the usual price is £250

I am sure if I take it back, they'll give me a refund. The question is will the £160 saving compensate for a crappy screen?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its probably a hard protective layer you can tear off like my NEX-3.

ypu don't need a screen to take good pictures anyway.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're the type of person who's bothered by stuff being messed up regardless of functionality, maybe take it back, but as long as you can sorta tell what's going on in the screen at all I bet you don't notice after using it for even a day or two.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

whatever7 posted:

ypu don't need a screen to take good pictures anyway.

Many people say that my photos look I took them without looking at the camera, so I guess you're right.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You can take that poo poo off but it will become a glare/fingerprintgasm, Google for removing antireflective coatings (possibly oleophobic even though it's not a touch screen).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just bought an RX100IV - this and this pushed me over the edge from the earlier models.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Wow, these look great! I saw some samples on dpreview but they didn't look that impressive.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Slow mo is fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmXEcRnCzIE

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Radbot posted:

Just bought an RX100IV - this and this pushed me over the edge from the earlier models.

I know a lot of the buzz around the RX100IV are the improvements on the video side of things, but does the new sensor layout (or any other developments) make any improvement on the stills image quality?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Hocus Pocus posted:

I know a lot of the buzz around the RX100IV are the improvements on the video side of things, but does the new sensor layout (or any other developments) make any improvement on the stills image quality?

For me $600 is about the max I want to spend on a point and shoot, so the III is really pushing it at $800. I'm going to do it just for the viewfinder as I really hate composing/shooting with the back LCD. Otherwise I'd go with the II. I plan to buy one this Friday.

Anyway, about the IV. It seems DP Review doesn't think there are any improvements:

quote:

Sony made no claims of improved image quality from the new 'stacked' BSI-CMOS sensor at its announcement. A look around the scene in Raw or JPEG mode confirms that major changes aren't present. Any differences in sharpness between the RX100 III and RX100 IV are likely due to copy variation, something no camera is immune from.

The JPEG engine has been tweaked, with the changes mainly focusing on default noise reduction. Context sensitive noise reduction has been reduced, which can be identified by the differences in the center of each color patch. The RX100 III smooths out the center of the patches, and the RX100 IV lets noise remain, even in large areas of a single color. This reduces artifacts caused by the context sensitive algorithm that can be seen on the edges of the color patches, and makes the OOC JPEG images much more usable.

This makes the III a no brainier for me. I don't ever shoot video so I don't care about the slo-mo stuff. The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on is the better viewfinder.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I've been using a Canon A400 (3MP, sub-$150 camera) for ten years, which has given me solid service, but now seems to have a case of the blurries. So I'm looking for a compact, low-cost replacement with reasonable performance. But I'm not finding much that really wows me. Most of my photography is general touristy daylight stuff, but I'd like to do more in low light, but of course that is the weakest performance area for small point-and-shoots.

The Canon Elph 330HS from a few years ago seemed to have strong reviews, but is not in stock anywhere I can find at a decent price. The Elph 340 and 350 models seem to get mixed reviews and are commonly stated to be a step back from the 330. Is there anything that jumps out as a leader in the $200-or-less area? Or are they all just kind of meh at that point?

Edit: I guess if I spend a bit more, I could still pick up an S110 for $270 or so. is the extra $80 worth it over the Elph 340/350? Thanks...

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 19, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wow, I was looking at compact cameras, and they're more expensive than I thought, even for the older stuff.

Then below a certain point (older camera phone size sensors), the price goes down considerably. But it kind of seems all the same by then.

I don't know much about the really small compact sensor cameras, but I can say that if you're looking at spending about $250 then you should strongly consider going for an original RX100. Might as well get something compact but with a 1" sensor if you're into that price range anyway for the s110.

Edit: that's it, I remembered the 'cheap' Fuji compact that has a 2/3rd" x-trans sensor: the XQ1. They're available used for under $250 and while it wouldn't match the sheer image quality of the rx100, it's less expensive and more compact. It was the initial suggestion that popped into my head, but at first I had it confused with the XF1, which is a little pricier.

I have an X20, which has pretty much the same sensor, and I find that it produces very nice images for a sub-1" sensor compact.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 20, 2015

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
am I a fool for telling my girlfriend to get a S110/RX100/X20 instead of a Canon T5 or some other entry level DSLR for taking vacation pictures?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
No.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Nah man - if you're walking around doing touristy stuff and just want to be taking snaps, then a point and shoot is a way better option for the average consumer than a DSLR. Unless you need a DSLR, then its added weight and bulk is just gonna be a pain when travelling.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also G5X G7X G9X

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or look at something mirrorless instead if she does really want interchangeable lenses. My last couple vacations I only brought my Ricoh GR and it was great. If Iw as going somewhere with wildlife I'd probably bring something else, but for urban stuff it was great.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The GR is probably next on my list to try. Last year I travelled with an LX100 and it still felt too big, so this year I sized down to an RX100m3. Haven't travelled with it yet, but not really a fan of the shooting experience at the moment.

Does anybody have any experience with both the RX100 (and/or the LX100) vs the GR?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I owned an Rx100 Mk 1 for a couple years, rented the LX100 once for a weekend, and rented the GR a couple times before buying one a year or so ago. I love the GR. Size wise, it's similar enough to the RX100 to make near no difference to me, but it's far nicer to hold and shoot with. The grip makes it easy to hang on to and shoot one handed. Unlike the RX100, where if I got a good shot I always wished I'd taken it with a better camera, I love the look of the GR's photos. The LX100 was fine, I guess, but not small enough for my uses and for whatever reason I'd rather have no zoom at all than a servo zoom.

The only thing that isn't so nice on the GR is its autofocus. The Rx100 was super fast, the GR is super slow. And it struggles sooo hard in low light. You get used to it though and I think it's worth the trouble.

edit: I tried a ton of cameras before winding up with the GR as my main personal camera. RX100, X100S, LX100, and a variety of mirrorless stuff (A6000, A7r, XE2). The GR is my favorite of all of em for what I need it for. When I want something more capable I step all the way up to my D750 or D800.

powderific fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 22, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Refub s120 $199 go go go

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-s120-black-refurbished?WT.mc_id=C126149

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for sharing your experience - it's interesting because I felt the same way about my LX100 re: the "wished I'd taken it with a better camera". There's nothing wrong with the image quality, but there's something intangible about the "look" of the photos that has me feeling like it's not enough of a step up from having taken it with my phone.

I think the reviews about the GR's autofocus is what steered me towards the RX100, despite everything suggesting that I should be looking for a larger sensor rather than sizing down further with the RX100. I thought the zoom is nice, but I think I'm in the same boat as you in that a motorized zoom just feels weird to use, so maybe a prime wouldn't be as big of a handicap as I imagined.

Only one way to find out I suppose - might even pick up a GR soon so I can compare the two side by side.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rawrr posted:

The GR is probably next on my list to try. Last year I travelled with an LX100 and it still felt too big, so this year I sized down to an RX100m3. Haven't travelled with it yet, but not really a fan of the shooting experience at the moment.

Does anybody have any experience with both the RX100 (and/or the LX100) vs the GR?

As a travel camera, I quite liked the size and zoom of the RX100, makes it really versatile, plus the raws are pretty good. The GR is a great camera too so I think it really boils down to whether you like the fixed lens vs a zoom. There are some really nice RX100 photos just recently posted up in the Landscape thread too.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Consider that for a girl with small hands, camera "grippiness" might not be an issue. The RX100 is the perfect size for me - I also had a Canon 600D which I stopped using for travel (especially when I have to walk a lot). That being said, I still rely on it for events and when I need bokeh.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hey all. My current point and shoot is a Canon AS4000 IS. I'm looking for an upgrade as I've been traveling to some great places lately and I feel it under performs. What would my next step be? I'm a total newbie and used mostly used the auto functions. I wouldn't mind learning the ins and outs of a newer camera though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey all. My current point and shoot is a Canon AS4000 IS. I'm looking for an upgrade as I've been traveling to some great places lately and I feel it under performs. What would my next step be? I'm a total newbie and used mostly used the auto functions. I wouldn't mind learning the ins and outs of a newer camera though.

Just get whichever one of the four RX100 models that fits your budget.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm looking to replace my LX5 and the LX100 seems pretty good. It's also on sale for £375 ($563) when it seems to be about £500 normally. I really liked how the LX5 handled, but I haven't tried out an RX100. Looking at dpreview they seem to be very similar in performance. Anyone own an LX100 here?

I'll be using it for street photography and macro shots indoors.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The LX100 is fantastic, and if you're coming from a LX5 it'll be an upgrade in every way. I owned the LX7 briefly and the LX100 was already quite a decent upgrade. I wish it had more megapickles and a touchscreen, but otherwise I really enjoyed shooting with it - I sold it only because it still felt a bit too big for travel, but it's been on my mind ever since, and I might pick one up again once they become cheap enough used.

I feel like $563 is quite a bargain when you consider the price of an equivalent MFT lens - you're essentially getting the body for free. Consider picking up either an auto lens cap or an UV filter, as it's a bit annoying to have to cap your lens every time.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Sounds good. It's a shame it doesn't have a touchscreen, but then, I didn't really miss that with the LX5. The shutter thing is something I've become accustomed to over the last 5yrs as well.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Maybe it's just me but I've found all the photos coming from LX100s that I see on flickr to look weirdly lacking in detail compared to any other modern m43 cameras. And not in a 'slightly fewer MP' way. More like what I would expect from a compact sensor camera.

Also, are the Canon 1" sensor cameras a generally worse deal than the RX series? They're definitely cheaper, and from what I understand have Sony sensors anyway.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It is cheaper than most other cameras of that type, though. When I had a look at LX100 images on flickr they seemed fine to me, but I am coming from the LX5. I haven't really looked at the new Sony stuff, since it's out of my price range anyway. ~£400 is my upper limit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
OP suggests buy the best Canon you can afford but last time I did that with a Powershot A590 I got burned with a camera that ate batteries like an SOB and was slow between shots. Turned out it was a common bug for those cameras; but it took great pictures. I also have an old Nikon S200 that I dislike, I'm terrible at picking cameras apparently.

I'm looking at a couple of used Canon cameras: SD780IS, A480, and ELPH 160. and I'm seeing a lot of similar complaints, short battery life, slow between shots, lens errors. I'm leery of buying another Canon.

This is mostly for taking pictures of stuff to sell on ebay, so the important factors are decent low light ability, good macro ability, and many of the objects are metal which defeats my phone camera because of the reflectivity. Looking for advice or a recommendation. I know my budget is low, $200 new or $100 used, but I got other bills right now.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

OP suggests buy the best Canon you can afford but last time I did that with a Powershot A590 I got burned with a camera that ate batteries like an SOB and was slow between shots. Turned out it was a common bug for those cameras; but it took great pictures. I also have an old Nikon S200 that I dislike, I'm terrible at picking cameras apparently.

I'm looking at a couple of used Canon cameras: SD780IS, A480, and ELPH 160. and I'm seeing a lot of similar complaints, short battery life, slow between shots, lens errors. I'm leery of buying another Canon.

This is mostly for taking pictures of stuff to sell on ebay, so the important factors are decent low light ability, good macro ability, and many of the objects are metal which defeats my phone camera because of the reflectivity. Looking for advice or a recommendation. I know my budget is low, $200 new or $100 used, but I got other bills right now.

It's a decent step up to the S or G series p&s from canon- if you look carefully you may find a S110 or 120 for under 200, or look for an older but good model like G12 or S95. For macro, the tilting screen of the Gs might be helpful.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
For product photography, lighting is going to matter more than anything else; a good camera will not make a poorly/unevenly lit shot look better. If you're staying under $100 used, the cameras you can afford will not be noticeably better than your phone camera anyway.

Look into shooting in bright, natural light near a window, or depending on the size of the items you're shooting, look into DIY options like this: http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/diy-how-to-create-your-own-white-box-for-under-10--photo-3411 to improve your lighting.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Get a light box kit

You can shoot product photo with your lovely phone camera.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It's a decent step up to the S or G series p&s from canon- if you look carefully you may find a S110 or 120 for under 200, or look for an older but good model like G12 or S95. For macro, the tilting screen of the Gs might be helpful.

Thanks, I will look into these.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

rawrr posted:

Only one way to find out I suppose - might even pick up a GR soon so I can compare the two side by side.

sighh

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You also need a X100 to complete the collection.

I got a Japanese market Brown GM1 kit for 290 during Black Friday buying frenzy.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 5, 2015

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Heck yeah though that viewfinder looks dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Will probably flip the viewfinder after playing around with it a bit. Always a bit amused by how much they seem to cost for what they are, especially the digital versions (for other compacts).

Thankfully I'm going for pocketbility, so the X100 series isn't really on my radar. I'm a fan of tactile feedback (i.e. manual dials) so I love the usability aspect, but the LX100 offers something similar in a smaller form factor. It may just turn out that the RX100 or GR compromises too much usability in favour of form factor for me, in which case I'd eagerly rebuy a LX100.

The best part about all of this is that I've tried a bunch of cameras (LX7, XE-1, Olympus Stylus 1) in search of my travel camera holy grail, and since I've been buying used, as long as I flip them quickly enough (i.e. before prices fall) I basically get to test drive the cameras for for cheap/free without the guilt of a store return.

• Locked thread