Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I just totally loved that the story of the episode was essentially that one of the world's literal manifestations of pure evil and/or sheer terror goes on vacation to Night Vale...and just has a fabulous time! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it totally works that Night Vale is the go to R&R spot for an embodiment of evil and terror.

Pretty much a perfect Night Vale episode. We got some worldbuilding, we got some just plain surreal poo poo, and we got some wonderful Cecil voice acting, not much more to ask for really.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I can't help but wonder if this dual Cecil personality describing the woman from Italy is somehow connected to the things he heard on the audio cassette?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
It could possibly have to do with whoever bought him, too.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Between this and the Glow Cloud, I like to think that Cecil's mind is more or less a revolving door. Maybe as a side effect from whatever happened in cassettes?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is, at the very least, some vindication for the theory that Cecil's brain receives psychic transmissions from...somewhere.

Though I choose to believe that everyone in Night Vale is psychic and would look at you strangely if you so much as hinted that you weren't.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

docbeard posted:

It is, at the very least, some vindication for the theory that Cecil's brain receives psychic transmissions from...somewhere.

Though I choose to believe that everyone in Night Vale is psychic and would look at you strangely if you so much as hinted that you weren't.

I forget which episode it was recently but Cecil did mention in passing once that invaders tried to take over everyone's thoughts but failed because everyone's thoughts are already controlled

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Info for the March tour. Dates will be added as they are finalized: http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/march-tour/

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

St. Louis isn't as dangerous as you might think. Regular St. Louis, not East St. Louis. Stay the gently caress away from there.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 16, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

By a similar token, there are sometimes as many as three months during the year when Minneapolis is not a frozen wasteland.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

docbeard posted:

By a similar token, there are sometimes as many as three months during the year when Minneapolis is not a frozen wasteland.

This is true. In fact if you were to schedule them at the end of this tour you might even see grass if you were to come here.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.
I was at the 8pm show in Seattle tonight, and godDAMN can Cecil command a crowd. He had everyone in the palm of his hand from the moment he walked out.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Mr. Yuk posted:

I was at the 8pm show in Seattle tonight, and godDAMN can Cecil command a crowd. He had everyone in the palm of his hand from the moment he walked out.

This, holy poo poo. I was at the same show, and it was hands down one of the best shows I've been to. That's an awfully hollow superlative from an arbitrary internet person but I've been to a lot of really great shows, and this was one of the best things I've ever seen in my life. It's pretty late in the game to tell you guys this, but if you haven't yet gotten tickets to a show in your area, obtain them no matter what the cost.

Also I got a certain shirt that I was almost certain was out of stock :neckbeard:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I'm thinking of going to the Philly show, but I'm reliant on public transportation, so it would be useful to know when it'd be ending. Even the vaguest estimation would be a big help.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fiendly posted:

I'm thinking of going to the Philly show, but I'm reliant on public transportation, so it would be useful to know when it'd be ending. Even the vaguest estimation would be a big help.

Night Vale live shows generally run about 90-120 minutes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Not that you'll be allowed to leave afterwards.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

We run consistently about 90 minutes. Don't think we've ever approached 120.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

maxnmona posted:

We run consistently about 90 minutes. Don't think we've ever approached 120.

Could you though? At least for the DC show?

Also: YES! Tickets bought for DC. How does seating usually go? Just first come first serve or are there assigned seats for the floor? (Lincoln Theater just did general admission so I'm assuming getting there early if you have a group is well advised)

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Wow, you guys knocked it outta the park last night at the 8pm Seattle show. Also send my warmest regards to Jason Weebley, that guy is a class act. Loved seeing him up there. So so so good.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I and 4 friends also just got tickets for the DC show at the Lincon in March. I can't wait to give obeisance. I'm astounded how far this has taken off, sometimes.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
http://www.dashcon.org/welcome-to-night-vale/

Looks like Night Vale is coming to Schaumburg IL, for any of you Chicago folk.

quote:

DashCon 2014 is proud to announce that the Welcome to Night Vale crew will be joining the guest list for our inaugural event. Attendees can expect a both a live performance and Q&A session. There will also be a private meet & greet event, where you’ll have the opportunity to meet the writers, Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor, and the voice of Night Vale, Cecil Baldwin.

Since this is at a con, does that mean that it isn't a separately ticket event? From descriptions previously in this thread, it sounded like you pretty much need to camp in place all day in order to get to see the Night Vale stuff at a con. Do you think that would be the case here?

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
http://emeraldcitycomicon.tumblr.com/post/74010023036/the-thrilling-adventure-hour-and-welcome-to-night

WTNV and the Thrilling Adventure Hour are doing a crossover show at ECCC. I could not be more excited for this even if I have a less than zero chance of being able to go to it. Seriously you should be listening to TAH, it's so much fun.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Oh right. Those are things we're doing. Go to them everyone. They should be fun.

Hello from the road. 4 shows down, 11 to go.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I finally got around to listening to this, mainly because this one girl on my Tumblr feed would not stop posting Cecil/Carlos poo poo and I got morbidly curious about what exactly was going on in these podcasts that drove the shippers so crazy. Just finished episode 16, and-- you can't not have known that was going to happen. :psyduck: I apologize if that's part of the joke or something. I'm still very new to this.

Going to try to grab tickets for the Philly show. By March I should be enough of a seasoned fan to appreciate it fully.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Hey, did you really leave a Tumblr note for videntefernandez about her art? People are wondering if that's really you.

Have fun on the road!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Ratspeaker posted:

I finally got around to listening to this, mainly because this one girl on my Tumblr feed would not stop posting Cecil/Carlos poo poo and I got morbidly curious about what exactly was going on in these podcasts that drove the shippers so crazy. Just finished episode 16, and-- you can't not have known that was going to happen. :psyduck: I apologize if that's part of the joke or something. I'm still very new to this.

We didn't know what "shipping" was when we wrote that. Night Vale was written because we found it interesting. There was never any intended wider audience in mind.

dj_clawson posted:

Hey, did you really leave a Tumblr note for videntefernandez about her art? People are wondering if that's really you.

Have fun on the road!

I don't use tumblr. If anyone ever claims to be me on tumblr, they're lying.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Is it one of the other Real Actual Joseph Finks? Maybe it was the lady one.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Look, I get it's confusing because we have a joke about imposter Joseph Finks on the podcast, but the last time someone pretended to be me on tumblr it was some sort of racist thing, so I'd prefer people be able to separate jokes from reality.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Sorry, didn't know this was an actual problem.

Bad joke timing woo :suicide:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

maxnmona posted:

We didn't know what "shipping" was when we wrote that. Night Vale was written because we found it interesting. There was never any intended wider audience in mind.

Ah. In that case, I feel for you. Sometimes I forget that not everyone on the internet started out in the same places I did. Must be weird.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I know you guys are probably getting a million "PLAY A LIVE SHOW IN MY CITY YOU BIZARRE MONKEY-MEN! ENTERTAIN US!!!" sort of requests, and I know that your schedule after Dallas hasn't been posted yet, but is there any indication that you'll be coming around the Lincoln/Omaha area this spring?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Dark Grapefruit posted:

http://emeraldcitycomicon.tumblr.com/post/74010023036/the-thrilling-adventure-hour-and-welcome-to-night

WTNV and the Thrilling Adventure Hour are doing a crossover show at ECCC. I could not be more excited for this even if I have a less than zero chance of being able to go to it. Seriously you should be listening to TAH, it's so much fun.

I'm incredibly sad I probably can't make it to this. I'm already planning a trip to the LA area in the spring to see Thrilling Adventure Hour and visit some friends and that's gonna kill my travel budget for early in the year. I'll just have to be content with that in April and seeing WTNV in Dallas in March. Hopefully one or both of the shows will release it as a podcast.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

maxnmona posted:

Look, I get it's confusing because we have a joke about imposter Joseph Finks on the podcast, but the last time someone pretended to be me on tumblr it was some sort of racist thing, so I'd prefer people be able to separate jokes from reality.

Will the real Joseph Fink please stand up? (Joseph Fink is the new Spartacus!)

By the way, I love that Glen David Gold wrote part of the most recent episode. Carter Beats the Devil is one of my favorite books ever, and he's written some good stuff for The Thrilling Adventure Hour, too.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm visiting my brother, who lives in Guangzhou China. Last weekend we went to Hong Kong to check it out (it's a short train trip away) and we met up with one of his friends, a Cantonese woman who speaks very good English. She brought up Night Vale and we talked about it at great length. She's a big fan and has even snuck in references to it in her presentations at work. When she first started listening to it, she questioned her own knowledge of English, thinking she wasn't understanding the Dog Park bit in episode 1 at all. She figured it out though.

So, just a head's up, Night Vale is very much a thing now to some people in China.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Looks like they've added a late show to Philly

Anyone else going to the first show?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

"Listeners, there is a strange man in the studio. He says that he's...

... from Earth."

(I am very excited about the TAH crossover.)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Caught a Seattle show last week and it was a ton of fun. If anyone is on the fence about going to a live show, do it!

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Tickets for the Dallas show on March 14th are now on sale.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god Detroit show.

Someone post when those tickets are available please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SeedyV posted:

Tickets for the Dallas show on March 14th are now on sale.

Dallas before Austin?!