Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

I actually checked out a curved LG OLED last night and was surprised to find that even at 1080p it was like a $6000 display at 55" when the 65" Sony & Samsung 4k's were $4000.

It was really really beautiful, but I'm not sure who's going to be buying them when the larger 4K tv's sitting next to it are 33% cheaper.

So if I want to look for a 65" 1080p display that is at the sweet spot of value and performance which models should I be looking at from Samsung and Sony? If our budget was $3000-3500 for a 4K tv then how far can we get for $2000-2500 for a 1080p display?

okay, still trying to decide on a 60-65" 1080p display from Samsung or Sony. I'm a longtime Samsung fanboy due mostly to their interface's being painfully straight-forward.

If I'm looking at stay in a $2500-3000 budget what should I be looking at?

Plasma
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN64F8500-64-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00BCPH3YS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397760859&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+f8500

LED
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65F8000-65-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00BCGRLSU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1397761193&sr=8-6&keywords=samsung+f8000

Are the 8000 series worth it? Should I be considering the 2014 models at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With the two TVs you listed, there is no 2014 version. Both top end TVs (F8500 and F8000) are carried over to this year. The only thing new Samsung added to the top end 1080p lineup is a curved 8000 series LCD.

I would also consider saving a grand and possibly trying out the Sony w850a while they are still in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL65W850A-65-Inch-1080p-Internet/dp/B00ES5YZD6

The W900A would be the obvious choice in LCD if they were available in the size you are looking for, but they were 55" only. The W850A carries over most of what makes the W900A great, but in larger sizes.

One thing that sucks about the F8000 is that you are subject to panel lottery. Samsung sources two different suppliers for the panel and there's strong indications that some are better than others.

The F8500 is a strong contender as well. It's the brightest plasma ever made and probably the highest image quality display still readily available new today. You just have to decide if your viewing habits will be a problem for IR or ABL and whether or not the potential for buzzing could be an issue for you.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bull3964 posted:

IR or ABL

hmmm, wasn't really familiar with these issues having never owned a plasma before... these might be deal breakers. well, this + the worse off-angle viewing since I really appreciate the amazing viewing angle on the high end LED's.

I'll take a look at the W850A. saving $800 is definitely a nice thing... can put it in the "when 4K is actually viable" savings fund.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Would I be able to get a good 50" HDTV primarily for gaming bought used for around $900? I'm trying to decide on a size between 42"-50" to replace my 32" Panasonic and I'd like to get one with better or equivalent picture quality.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

StickFigs posted:

Would I be able to get a good 50" HDTV primarily for gaming bought used for around $900? I'm trying to decide on a size between 42"-50" to replace my 32" Panasonic and I'd like to get one with better or equivalent picture quality.

Something like this is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKKI4JI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2PSI31R6E3MFE&coliid=I3MHNCRA3ZWOUJ&psc=1

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MMD3 posted:

hmmm, wasn't really familiar with these issues having never owned a plasma before... these might be deal breakers. well, this + the worse off-angle viewing since I really appreciate the amazing viewing angle on the high end LED's.

Viewing angles should be better on the plasma actually. That's the one thing I miss about my ST50 is the image looks completely the same off axis.

IR SHOULDN'T be as big of an issue on the F8500 as I experienced on my ST50 as the Sammys seem to be much more resistant. I'm mostly convinced that IR is a panel by panel thing at this point that some manufacturing variance affects.

One thing to consider with the Sony, no one can match Sony's motion processing right now. Not only is it fairly clear what their various Motionflow settings do, they work extremely well. I found Samsung to be confusing with their settings.

For example, MotionFlow True Cinema on the Sony will recreate 24fps native content from a 720p30 or 1080i60 signal. So, you would get correct motion cadence without motion interpolation even if you don't have 24fps input.

Input lag in game mode on the Sony's can't be touched by anyone right now either. You are looking at 18-19ms. They're crazy fast.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 17, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Seconding that, I loving love mine. Had it a month now and it's fantastic.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bull3964 posted:

Viewing angles should be better on the plasma actually. That's the one thing I miss about my ST50 is the image looks completely the same off axis.

IR SHOULDN'T be as big of an issue on the F8500 as I experienced on my ST50 as the Sammys seem to be much more resistant. I'm mostly convinced that IR is a panel by panel thing at this point that some manufacturing variance affects.

One thing to consider with the Sony, no one can match Sony's motion processing right now. Not only is it fairly clear what their various Motionflow settings do, they work extremely well. I found Samsung to be confusing with their settings.

For example, MotionFlow True Cinema on the Sony will recreate 24fps native content from a 720p30 or 1080i60 signal. So, you would get correct motion cadence without motion interpolation even if you don't have 24fps input.

Input lag in game mode on the Sony's can't be touched by anyone right now either. You are looking at 18-19ms. They're crazy fast.

input lag is actually a real concern for me as we're on the verge of seeing Steam streaming coming out and apparently one of the biggest factors in playability is input lag.

Do you have an idea of how much better than the Samsung's that is by comparison? Also, do the Sony tv's have any kind of integration with PS3/PS4? that could be a deciding factor as well if it's compelling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I believe the input lag for Samsung's two models are in the 60-80ms range in Game mode.

There's no special integration I've found between the PS3 and the Sony TVs other than what you can get with HDMI CEC normally.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bull3964 posted:

I believe the input lag for Samsung's two models are in the 60-80ms range in Game mode.

There's no special integration I've found between the PS3 and the Sony TVs other than what you can get with HDMI CEC normally.

Awesome, looks like the Sony has got a pretty decent advantage then.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

The few reviews I can find for this aren't happy with the picture quality and the input lag is pretty high at 40ms...

I'd rather stay away from Vizio.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 18, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I play games on a TV with an input lag of twice that much and absolutely don't notice a difference, and goons seem to love the TV, but OK good luck.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MMD3 posted:

Awesome, looks like the Sony has got a pretty decent advantage then.

Well that's a Sony LED against a Samsung plasma.

Samsung's LEDs are much lower. Sony's are still better, but it's closer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

Well that's a Sony LED against a Samsung plasma.

Samsung's LEDs are much lower. Sony's are still better, but it's closer.

Lag on the F8000 Samsung LED is about the same as the F8500 plasma. It's about the video processing platform more than it is the panel technology.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ahh. I guess it's whatever they use on their high end stuff, then.

The midrange stuff is fine. Mid 20s.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Neither light nor human vision works the way any thought process that would produce this comment would require them to. Most of those distance charts are garbage because they assume your eye works like, and maps cleanly to, the pixels on your LCD (which is such a flawed assumption that it is not even wrong) and discount the visual cortex's ability to resolve line thicknesses and angles far narrower/subtler than the distribution of photosensors on the retina suggests.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Thankfully, in my experience, when on a screen less than 40" I have absolutely no ability to tell the difference between my 1080p content and my 720p content.

Aphrodite posted:

Even so, matching the console's output and letting it do the work is better.

Fair enough.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bull3964 posted:

welp, there's that:
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/04/sony-reveals-playstation-now-enabled-bravia-tvs/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

StickFigs posted:

The few reviews I can find for this aren't happy with the picture quality and the input lag is pretty high at 40ms...

The model is a month old, don't put stock in reviews. The TV is incredible.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

big mean giraffe posted:

The model is a month old, don't put stock in reviews. The TV is incredible.

What am I supposed to go on then? My main requirement for buying a new tv is low input lag and I'd just like to know what I'm getting.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StickFigs posted:

Vizio has the lowest input lag by size. I'm extremely happy with my 60in: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS/

I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this. If you want extremely low input lag and a very nice TV at a very reasonable price, go with the Vizio E series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first one linked, the E550i-B2, is 40ms. That's... okay. You might feel it in some genres.

The one The Joe Man just linked is 31ms. That's good. It's also significantly more expensive though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I saw my co-worker's 65 inch panasonic ZT65 a few days ago. He has it calibrated and in his basement with no light. I've never seen a TV look so good, and my old 42 inch panasonic PX75 has never felt so inadequate. It's really a shame there won't be a better TV on the market for a while. If I borrow a meter is there any way to calibrate my TV beyond brightness/contrast?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My Sony SXRD from 7 years ago just blew up - smoke coming out of the back after an awesome pop. I'm going to go out today and get a new TV. Is this dumb: VIZIO - E550I-B2 - 55" at $699?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I bought one about a month ago and absolutely love it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

big mean giraffe posted:

I bought one about a month ago and absolutely love it.

Does $699 seem reasonable for the 55"? It looks standard on places I'm looking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

merk posted:

Does $699 seem reasonable for the 55"? It looks standard on places I'm looking.

Yes, I haven't seen it any lower and I've been keeping an eye on it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I paid $679 for mine so $699 is decent.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Aphrodite posted:

The first one linked, the E550i-B2, is 40ms. That's... okay. You might feel it in some genres.

Where are you getting this number from? I could only find one review that measured input lag and got 40ms and it was on a lovely looking site that I don't trust.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably the same one. LCDBuyingGuide or whatever they're called?

I haven't noticed their numbers being off in the past.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've been thinking about getting a TV to use with my computer for tv/movies, and general gaming when I want to lay in bed. I'm thinking 32"-40" will be just fine for that. Am I correct in assuming that at that size, there isn't a large difference in 60hz vs 120hz? I guess is there any reason to stay with 720 either?

My roommate has a 40" Insignia LED that does 120hz but darker picture looks to be ghosting pretty heavily, that's my main concern with it and it drives me insane. Is this common with a lot of cheaper LEDs?

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 20, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Refresh rate is only for 3D really.

They only accept 60Hz input, so you don't get the same benefit as a 120Hz monitor.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The new 2014 Vizio M-series is up on Amazon for order: https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M422i-B1-42-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00JJNA10I

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Oh, good; i'm glad I wasn't too far off on my estimate :)

Looking forward to seeing how these fare with off-angle viewing too, since they have double the led zones of the e series

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The e series has 12 and 16 depending on size I believe. I know 55" has 12 and some other size has 16.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

The e series has 12 and 16 depending on size I believe. I know 55" has 12 and some other size has 16.

Just noticed the 42" only has 14 zones, I had though all their m series had 32 zones. It appears that the m-series just goes "up to" 32: http://ces.vizio.com/m-series.html

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Next-Gen posted:

Oh, good; i'm glad I wasn't too far off on my estimate :)

Looking forward to seeing how these fare with off-angle viewing too, since they have double the led zones of the e series

I know, awesome call :).

So based on what I'm reading in this sub forum, I'm kinda waffling on getting an M series. I think an E series seems perfectly serviceable with a $200 discount (that I could spend on a sound bar). Besides viewing angle (which won't matter to me since my apt is tiny), are there any other really compelling reasons to buy an M over an E?

I'm looking for a tv in the 40" range.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, don't know if this is going to apply everywhere but my local Walmart just took down a bunch of 2013 TVs (or older) to make room for new 2014s. Was a bunch of stuff on the floor on clearance, all display models. Might be worth checking out if you're looking for a bargain.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
What I'd like to know personally is if there's any difference in input lag with the E and M.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 21, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StickFigs posted:

What I'd like to know personally is if there's any difference in input lag with the E and M.

Yes, there is. M-series has much higher lag for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

I know, awesome call :).

So based on what I'm reading in this sub forum, I'm kinda waffling on getting an M series. I think an E series seems perfectly serviceable with a $200 discount (that I could spend on a sound bar). Besides viewing angle (which won't matter to me since my apt is tiny), are there any other really compelling reasons to buy an M over an E?

I'm looking for a tv in the 40" range.

Main differences are 6 versus 14 led zones on the 42, the e series is 60hz panel with software 120hz while the m series is a true 120hz panel and the m series has the active pixel tuning (some sort of per-pixel software contrast tuning to go with the active dimming). If you're unsure you may just want to wait until you can see them side by side in store to see, as nobody has really seen the m's yet.