Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
So I have a job interview today at 3pm, which is 2 hours on public transport away.

2am this morning I am voluminously sick with no sign of it going away fast enough. It's pretty clear to me that I can't just go - there is no way I can do the trains in my condition - but what should I say when I call them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
"I'm indisposed today, is there any way we can reschedule?"

You should be ready to load yourself up with immodium or try to go, because it's unlikely they'll reschedule.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

What's the general practice when it comes to NDAs and resumes? Is it a good idea to indicate when you're constrained by your NDA?

Context: I'm working an internship for a very well-known company this summer, but I have no idea how to describe what I do here when I update my resume without breaking the NDA. I've talked to my manager, and it seems like I have to be extremely vague until the product launches, but I'm worried that recruiters will just think I didn't actually do anything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well for mine I just avoided saying anything specific like algorithms implemented or any of my findings. It gives a good idea of my skills and if anyone can reverse engineer my work from that then holy poo poo they're a genius.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Dad Jokes posted:

What's the general practice when it comes to NDAs and resumes? Is it a good idea to indicate when you're constrained by your NDA?

Context: I'm working an internship for a very well-known company this summer, but I have no idea how to describe what I do here when I update my resume without breaking the NDA. I've talked to my manager, and it seems like I have to be extremely vague until the product launches, but I'm worried that recruiters will just think I didn't actually do anything.

Say you were working on Netflix before Netflix was a thing: "Developed highly scalable video web service using ___ and ____". Twitter: "Developed highly scalable experimental social media platform using ___ and ___." iOS: "Worked on experimental new consumer device operating system using ___ and ___." Call of Duty: "Worked on AAA multi-player video game title using ___ and ___"

That sort of thing. At the resume filtering stage nobody gives two fucks about what it is you did exactly - they just want to see that you've actually been working, using what technology, for how long and trusted with how much responsibility. During the interview or phone screen they will want to chit-chat and at that point it is absolutely OK to mention the NDA, they'll understand.

That said, I did once have to mention an NDA on the resume itself, mostly because I couldn't really even mention the company I was working for (stealth startups, urgh) and you definitely don't want unexplained gaps if you can help it.

Vogelspinne
Dec 16, 2010
About three weeks ago I interviewed for a position at a company that I really love. At the end of the interview I was told I'd hear back from them very soon. After two weeks I emailed the woman who initially contacted me about setting up the interview and haven't heard anything from her (its been a week.) However it sounded like it was really the interviewer who was going to be making the decision so now I'm wondering if I should have sent that email to him.

It's a creative, small company who've admitted to being super busy all the time and my experience with other similar companies is that they tend to be really awful with replying to emails unless you hound them a bit even if they do intend to hire you so I'm wondering if it would be too much to send one last email to the interviewer before writing off the job. Thoughts?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mr. Wynand posted:

Say you were working on Netflix before Netflix was a thing: "Developed highly scalable video web service using ___ and ____". Twitter: "Developed highly scalable experimental social media platform using ___ and ___." iOS: "Worked on experimental new consumer device operating system using ___ and ___." Call of Duty: "Worked on AAA multi-player video game title using ___ and ___"

That sort of thing. At the resume filtering stage nobody gives two fucks about what it is you did exactly - they just want to see that you've actually been working, using what technology, for how long and trusted with how much responsibility. During the interview or phone screen they will want to chit-chat and at that point it is absolutely OK to mention the NDA, they'll understand.

That said, I did once have to mention an NDA on the resume itself, mostly because I couldn't really even mention the company I was working for (stealth startups, urgh) and you definitely don't want unexplained gaps if you can help it.

Yeah this is more specific and example-filled than my experience, but I can also verify that if you say you're under an NDA so please forgive if your answer is on the broad side no one holds that against you.

Today I was asked the ping-pong ball in a car question. Saying "take measurements of my car to estimate its volume and divide by volume of ping-pong ball" still feels like cheating but apparently some people just throw out a number? I dunno.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The correct answer is: "Will I be asked to do this for my job?"

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.

FrozenVent posted:

"I'm indisposed today, is there any way we can reschedule?"

You should be ready to load yourself up with immodium or try to go, because it's unlikely they'll reschedule.

Yeah there was no way I was dragging a sheet-white, shivering, sweating, vomiting person to an interview *at a restaurant*. They said they'll put me on to the area manager and she will decide so fingers crossed.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, if you're working with an analytic recruiting firm, is it okay to fill out those salary fields (desired compensation) they ask you for? I'm assuming it's so they don't bother contacting you about positions that you have no interest in based on your minimum desired salary, but I still feel wary about giving that information away. Do they communicate that information with potential employers?

edit: I've never worked with external recruiters before, so this is all new to me.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, if you're working with an analytic recruiting firm, is it okay to fill out those salary fields (desired compensation) they ask you for? I'm assuming it's so they don't bother contacting you about positions that you have no interest in based on your minimum desired salary, but I still feel wary about giving that information away. Do they communicate that information with potential employers?

edit: I've never worked with external recruiters before, so this is all new to me.

I just got a job through a staffing agency. The way it worked for me is they asked for what my desired salary was and what my absolute minimum I'd take was, then once they matched me up with a company they did all the salary negotiations based on those numbers and ended up getting me more than what I'd put for my desired salary.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

FrozenVent posted:

The information session is probably a "This is the job you're applying to." thing, since they're hiring a dozen people in one go. I'd bet they're trying to weed out the foamers.

If I was you, I'd go for shirt, khaki and a tie.

It was pretty much that. They outlined job duties/salary/benefits/etc... and did their best to sell their company as a good place to work, which is fine. Made me feel important, which is probably what they want. I e-mailed about appropriate attire and was told business casual is what they expect so it was all good.

Having said that, I found out the job doesn't actually guarantee 40 hours a week when you first start out, even though the job listing explicitly said full time :rolleyes:
That's giving me red flags to run away since I'm pretty confident that this was done deliberately. Someone called out one of the presenters about this during question time which was pretty hilarious.

Edit: I'm still going to go as far as I can through the process in order to gain more interview experience.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 31, 2014

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
What's the best way to indicate knowledge of governmental policy even though I haven't actually used in a professional setting? Basically a formal way of saying "I know OF it, and have read and understood it, but I have not actually used it as part of my job". I was thinking of saying "Introductory knowledge of..." but maybe there is a better way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So, dealing with headhunters question.

I sent my resume to this agency a while ago, told them there were three employers I was interested in, and that since I already had a preexisting relationship with A, and I don't think they did, I didn't want them to do anything with employer A.

B turned me down, not hiring at the moment, and they just called me to schedule an exploratory interview with C, after about a month of loving around. Employer C, by the way, is reputed for having a really loving long hiring process. I'm also not too keen on spending $100 on travel for an exploratory interview, but they have a great reputation as an employer.

In the meanwhile I interviewed with A and while I don't have an offer yet, I did get some pretty clear indicators from the hiring manager that I'd be getting one. If I do get it, what's the etiquette for telling the recruitment agency that "Hey, I found a job on my own, thank you very much?"

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I just got a job through a staffing agency. The way it worked for me is they asked for what my desired salary was and what my absolute minimum I'd take was, then once they matched me up with a company they did all the salary negotiations based on those numbers and ended up getting me more than what I'd put for my desired salary.

Cool. I guess I'll go ahead and fill it out then.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
There doesn't seem to be a general job search thread so I am posting this here, I can move it to a better thread if someone wants:

In 2006 I was convicted of misdemeanor assault and battery for a bad bar fight, in a rural county of Virginia. I was terrified of my parents finding out so I did not ask them for financial help in getting a lawyer, and went with a public defender and was found guilty. Spent 4 days in jail and 2 years on probation. That is my only criminal offense. I am now 29 and I am applying to a few government jobs. They don't require any security clearance but do background checks. Will this be a dealbreaker? And for private companies, will they even spot this on background checks?

I have been marking 'No' when asked if I have been convicted of a crime. I know that is lying but I am certain if I say yes the application is going in the trash, so I'd rather risk a little lie and hope I pass the background check. The government jobs have not asked this question on the application.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That's going to pop up bright and clear on a background check; if you've lied about it your application is going in the trash (Or your offer is getting rescinded). If you haven't lied, you might have a chance to explain.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

That's going to pop up bright and clear on a background check; if you've lied about it your application is going in the trash (Or your offer is getting rescinded). If you haven't lied, you might have a chance to explain.

Agreed with this.

For content: I'm not looking for a new job but I thought it would be a good time to polish up the resume. I'm a software engineer hoping to eventually move up to working with more big-fish consultancies. Can anyone offer up any pointers on my resume?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

There doesn't seem to be a general job search thread so I am posting this here, I can move it to a better thread if someone wants:

In 2006 I was convicted of misdemeanor assault and battery for a bad bar fight, in a rural county of Virginia. I was terrified of my parents finding out so I did not ask them for financial help in getting a lawyer, and went with a public defender and was found guilty. Spent 4 days in jail and 2 years on probation. That is my only criminal offense. I am now 29 and I am applying to a few government jobs. They don't require any security clearance but do background checks. Will this be a dealbreaker? And for private companies, will they even spot this on background checks?

I have been marking 'No' when asked if I have been convicted of a crime. I know that is lying but I am certain if I say yes the application is going in the trash, so I'd rather risk a little lie and hope I pass the background check. The government jobs have not asked this question on the application.

Do not lie. It will show up on a background check. In the off chance you somehow get through (some shady companies claim to do them for every position but only do them for some to save cash) it is very possible you'll get checked again when you get promoted to a significant responsibility or transferred and that is instant termination.

To put you at ease, many (I'd even say most) misdemeanors that old aren't even a blip on the radar. My stupid rear end has two separate public intox charges from college on my record. I was always honest about them I have never even been asked about them at any interview, and I know they all ran background checks. At my company there have been two people with felony DUIs and felony drug distribution charges that had reformed themselves and were excellent professionals.

Unfortunately the violent nature means you will have to explain but it's not a dealbreaker in either government or private firms. Typically when you get to the box asking you if you were convicted of any crimes there's an explanation section. If you say you were in a bar altercation at 21 that turned violent and were defending yourself, and since then have successfully completed probation and kept a clean record, most people would understand; we were all that age once. If you're 53 and got domestic violence for beating up your wife that's entirely different. Wouldn't even say a security clearance would be out of the question, but I'm not an expert about that.

The immediate disqualifiers are sexual crimes, violent felonies (think murder, kidnapping), and especially theft of ANY kind.

seacat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 31, 2014

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Thank you so much for the advice. Out of the 30 or so jobs I have applied to in the past week, only 2-3 asked if I had ever been convicted of any crime. The rest only either asked about felonies or did not ask at all. I will stop lying about it, and I hope that if it shows up in a background check they will let me explain before rejecting me.

I feel so stupid for having it on my record, and it has haunted me for a long time. The good news is it is over 7 years old, and in a county I only briefly lived in. It seems any valid criminal check is done on a county level and since I have lived in about 5 other counties since my conviction maybe they won't bother searching that much. I only hope I can find a job before someone finds an easy and effective way to consilidate all county criminal records into one database.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pron on VHS posted:

Thank you so much for the advice. Out of the 30 or so jobs I have applied to in the past week, only 2-3 asked if I had ever been convicted of any crime. The rest only either asked about felonies or did not ask at all. I will stop lying about it, and I hope that if it shows up in a background check they will let me explain before rejecting me.

I feel so stupid for having it on my record, and it has haunted me for a long time. The good news is it is over 7 years old, and in a county I only briefly lived in. It seems any valid criminal check is done on a county level and since I have lived in about 5 other counties since my conviction maybe they won't bother searching that much. I only hope I can find a job before someone finds an easy and effective way to consilidate all county criminal records into one database.

I used to work in the background screening industry. Any company worth working for will do a national background check because it's very easy and affordable to do these days. The above advice is all really good. Just talking to people about it will set their minds at ease, and if they don't ask you about it it's because they don't care about it.

People would call us all the time asking "Why did this show up on my record?! Remove this instantly!" Of course, we were just reporting what we found and there was no way for us to remove it, but we would always tell these people to contact the county in which the infraction occurred, because they're the ones reporting it to companies like the one I worked for. I understand it is possible in some cases to have records hidden or otherwise disappeared, but it depends based on the county. You might want to try giving them a call to discuss your options!

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Hey so that Linked-in suggestion was actually golden! Man I used to hate linked in but now that I actually have a specific immediate use for it it's absolutely perfect. I really love the one-click application process too - it really takes care of the biggest pain in the rear end applying for jobs.

So anyway, from the even deeper depths of the department of #firstworldproblems, my new problem is this: I have a number of technical interviews lined up, and at least some of those are going to turn into offers. How, well, brazen can/should I be about playing employers off each-other? I mean I don't want to be dick about this, but at the same time, this is business, and it's not like employers are in the habit of giving an inch when they don't have to. So like, should I specifically tell them "look, this offers looks good, but I have another offer on the table right now for ____ much extra with ____ vacation", or should I be all coy about it and just say "that offers looks very good to me but I need a few more days to weigh my options ~wink wink, nudge nudge, you know what I mean by that~" (not literally winking and nudging) and wait for them to ask? I feel that the latter is ostensibly the more tactful approach sure, but at the same time, the former gives them a clear figure to match and act on (or not, as the case may be). It's a lot easier (as a hiring manager who only has limited skin in the game anyway) to just do nothing and let things happen as they will without that impetus I think... maybe. I also want to give my current employer a chance to match any offers I get - I mean from a purely "rational actor" perspective they should be the ones most willing to pony up considering I would be taking off not just with my skills in the general sense but also with the specific knowledge and familiarization (not to mention tooling and modules) I already built up for that company in particular, but the rational actor model doesn't take into account hurt feelings (these guys weren't dicks to me, they are just paying well below market rate). Again, do I just tell them I have better offers and let them make a move if they want?

And finally, am I correct in assuming it would be a bad idea to mention the actual companies competing for my affections? I mean for one, it's not like employers never collude instead of compete, and for two, it gives me the option of playing up competing offers without them being able to confirm them as such. On the other hand, not dropping names might just have them assume I'm bluffing.

Anyway, stay in school kids, it's pretty great to be the prettiest girl at the ball and everyone wants a dance.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks for posting that LinkedIn can work for software folks. I'm in a similar situation to yours (current job isn't bad but want to be able to upgrade) I've been building out my profile and add everyone I've met on it but no bites yet. I probably just need to do more StackOverflow and put some code on Github but :effort:

Also can we be friends? Your writing is awesome.

Mr. Wynand posted:

I don't need to say "ACTIVELY LOOKING", just sort of, show some leg and walk suggestively until a nice gentleman from Microsoft drives by with a generous offer?

Is this what you ended up doing?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Careful Drums posted:

Thanks for posting that LinkedIn can work for software folks. I'm in a similar situation to yours (current job isn't bad but want to be able to upgrade) I've been building out my profile and add everyone I've met on it but no bites yet. I probably just need to do more StackOverflow and put some code on Github but :effort:

Is this what you ended up doing?
So I got a few bites from that but they tended to be from large SV firms and I loving hate the valley and everything in it so they aren't of much interest to me. And I mean if you are already interested in moving there you really shouldn't have any trouble finding work with or without linked-in (as long as you are a good "cultural fit" of course - I.e. a workaholic hipster brogrammer).

I had way better luck just applying for jobs - all the good postings seem to be there. I guess it sort of makes sense - I mean sure StackOverflow careers is what an actual technical director might use, but actual technical directors don't have time to micromanage job postings. Hiring/HR people OTOH are "business peeps" and probably use LinkedIn for more actual networking stuff, so they are probably familiar enough with it, and Craigslist postings just attract too much garbage to sift through, so yeah sure I see it, LinkedIn makes sense.

I think the way you get jobs from actual networking (as opposed to simply being picks up by recruiters data mining) is someone in your network is actively hiring and they happen to know you'd be good at it, or they happen to tell someone else that does (and they trust that judgment). That sort of relationship building needs real hands-on interaction, I doubt LinkedIn counts for much there. Also those people actively hiring are few and far between. So seems more of a long term thing is what I'm saying, or something you might get lucky with - but fairly useless for active job seeking.

quote:

Also can we be friends? Your writing is awesome.

Aw shucks your making me blush now :blush:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I feel like I've been bombarding this thread with questions recently, but a lot of new things have been coming up that didn't during my last job search.

The latest is I've gone through two phone interviews with a company for Chocolate Teapot Associate - one with HR and another with the manager over the position. Both went well. Today, I receive an e-mail from someone other than my normal HR contact from the company that reads as follows:

Hi Chaotic Flame,

I hope this message finds you well!

While we are still strongly considering your for the Chocolate Teapot Associate position, we would like to present another opportunity: Basket Weaving Analyst. We recently opened this position and we would love to speak to you about this opportunity and your qualifications. If you're interested, kindly email me back and let me know, and we will move forward from there.

I'm not sure how to interpret or respond to this. The basket weaving position is somewhat related to my skill set, but it's by no means my specialty and my resume has very little in the way of suggesting I'd be a good fit for the position. Additionally, they want a fairly experienced individual for this position (3 - 5 years) and I only have limited experience in the area. The catch here is that Basket Weaving Analyst typically pays more than Chocolate Teapot Associate and I think I'd be happy doing either one (though I'd prefer Chocolate Teapot Associate).

So, I have two questions about this:

1) It seems that these two HR people are in contact, so I'm wondering if I may not be the top candidate for the Chocolate Teapot Associate. Is that a fair assumption or am I jumping to conclusions? I would think that if I was being strongly considered, this opportunity wouldn't present itself, especially in light of my resume not really being tailored for the Basket Weaving Analyst position.

2) I don't want to hurt my chances for the Chocolate Teapot Associate because that's what I applied for and what I'd like to do, so how should I word a response that indicates interest in discussing the opportunity, but that I'm still very interested in the Chocolate Teapot Associate position?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Check the LinkedIn thread here, there's at least one goon group you might be able to get connections to.

If you're serious about LinkedIn, there's a guy who does profile help/consultation in SAMart too. I had him work on my profile and it's a crapton better than it was before.

Also if you have leverage, I don't see a problem with having competing offers. I don't see a problem with getting a few offers, comparing them and then saying 'hey this guy is offering me X, can you do Y or perhaps Z?' Really it just depends on what you're looking for in life and how many cards you have. If I'm an experienced software developer in the bay area/seattle/NYC, I would DEFINITELY do that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I mean no one has ever rescinded an offer because someone tried to negotiate for more. If a company can't compete, they'll say so and you'll decide what to do from there.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Could anyone offer perspective on what is happening in this recruitment/interviewing process I'm going through? I'm not sure if I should write off the opportunity or be cautiously optimistic, as I've never gone through anything quite like this. It all seemed quite straightforward until this current stage.

1. Phone screen with recruiter, at the end of the conversation get an invite to meet in person with the hiring manager
2. Interview with the hiring manager that goes very well, he tells me he was thoroughly impressed, but protecting the culture of the place is of the utmost importance so all full-time hires need to speak to 5 other employees before a decision can be signed off
3. Go in for a half day, meet with 5 people, 4 of whom are more senior than the hiring manager, with the other being the recruiter I spoke to on the phone in the first instance. Overall I am happy with how the conversations went, some better than others, but left feeling positive. The recruiter says she'll be in touch the next day

Next up:
4. I don't hear from anyone for a few days and I see the position is no longer advertised online.
5. I call the recruiter to ask the status of my application, she apologises for not having been in touch earlier, she says everyone was very positive but unfortunately she doesn't 'count' as one of the 5 other employees I had to meet with so I need to talk on the phone to someone 'so that box is ticked' and says I'll be speaking with someone more junior than the position I'm applying for. She says it will be sometime in the upcoming week and someone will be in touch to schedule it

So here I am a bit confused that they didn't have me talk to this final person the day I was in the office, especially as it doesn't seem this particular employee is critical to the hiring process (I'd understand if it was a senior person that needs to sign off everything that was unavailable, but the recruiter made it sound like this final step could basically have been anyone).

I'm probably overthinking it, but considering the role is no longer advertised, does it seem reasonable that they've offered it to another candidate and are scheduling this last interview with me to keep me engaged or something, if that candidate does not accept?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

interview with 5 managers needing to sign off on a hire
This place sounds like a nightmare to work at based on the above thing. Holy hell.

I doubt they're dicking you around, and you probably are overthinking it. Places like that drag out hiring (which is already time consuming enough) for like freaking months. Keep applying to other jobs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Place I used to work at dragged out my hiring process for about two months (Seriously, I took and completed a whole contract job between applying and starting), but the prize is the next guy they hired - Seven months from first interview to his starting date. It's entirely representative of what management's like, so keep that in mind. The hiring process isn't just the employer picking an employee, it's also you picking an employer.

In hindsight, I should have picked up on the red flags in the hiring process and not taken the job.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

seacat posted:

This place sounds like a nightmare to work at based on the above thing. Holy hell.

Well, everyone involved in the process seemed to acknowledge that it probably seems over the top, but tried to explain it as me interviewing the place as well and having a better idea of what the people were like if I had to make a decision to join. One of them threw in an anecdote about how he was once hired after meeting with only one person and left after a year because he couldn't tell after that just how bad of a fit he would be with the people.

FrozenVent posted:

Place I used to work at dragged out my hiring process for about two months (Seriously, I took and completed a whole contract job between applying and starting), but the prize is the next guy they hired - Seven months from first interview to his starting date. It's entirely representative of what management's like, so keep that in mind.

Thankfully it's only been three weeks so far so I guess I can't complain, I just really had the impression that a decision would be made last week so each additional day/step has felt a bit much.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Again, keep in mind that it's also probably how they run the office.

I'm other news my beloved recruiter scheduled me an exploratory interview with a potential employer next week, anyone have any idea what I should expect as far as lines of questions go? Kind of hard to prepare if I'm not applying to an actual position.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chaotic Flame posted:

I feel like I've been bombarding this thread with questions recently, but a lot of new things have been coming up that didn't during my last job search.

The latest is I've gone through two phone interviews with a company for Chocolate Teapot Associate - one with HR and another with the manager over the position. Both went well. Today, I receive an e-mail from someone other than my normal HR contact from the company that reads as follows:

Hi Chaotic Flame,

I hope this message finds you well!

While we are still strongly considering your for the Chocolate Teapot Associate position, we would like to present another opportunity: Basket Weaving Analyst. We recently opened this position and we would love to speak to you about this opportunity and your qualifications. If you're interested, kindly email me back and let me know, and we will move forward from there.

I'm not sure how to interpret or respond to this. The basket weaving position is somewhat related to my skill set, but it's by no means my specialty and my resume has very little in the way of suggesting I'd be a good fit for the position. Additionally, they want a fairly experienced individual for this position (3 - 5 years) and I only have limited experience in the area. The catch here is that Basket Weaving Analyst typically pays more than Chocolate Teapot Associate and I think I'd be happy doing either one (though I'd prefer Chocolate Teapot Associate).

So, I have two questions about this:

1) It seems that these two HR people are in contact, so I'm wondering if I may not be the top candidate for the Chocolate Teapot Associate. Is that a fair assumption or am I jumping to conclusions? I would think that if I was being strongly considered, this opportunity wouldn't present itself, especially in light of my resume not really being tailored for the Basket Weaving Analyst position.

2) I don't want to hurt my chances for the Chocolate Teapot Associate because that's what I applied for and what I'd like to do, so how should I word a response that indicates interest in discussing the opportunity, but that I'm still very interested in the Chocolate Teapot Associate position?

Any thoughts on this? I'm going to send a response tonight or tomorrow morning, but just wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

My thoughts on this as a hiring manager is that you're reading way too much into stuff you can't possibly know from the outside. All you can do is read what they said which is they are still strongly considering you for teapot dude.

Maybe they are lying and already gave the teapot job to someone else. Or maybe they're 100% honest and were so impressed that they want to give you the opportunity to take a choice between positions. Or maybe Basket Weaver sucks rear end and has a 3 month turnover rate and they toss that job at anyone who applies to any other position at the company. Who knows.

You said basketweaver pays more and you'd be happy doing it (at least pre-interview). Even if it's outside your comfort zone I'd recommend you go interview. It's unlikely to hurt your chances with the teapot position. Hiring managers KNOW you're interviewing with other places. Obviously the caveat here is that they're two positions within the same company making it much easier for them to share info but this shouldn't be a problem because even in larger industries people share info all the time. Something like this might happen:

Basketweaver boss bumps into Teapot boss at water cooler.
Teapot boss: Hey how are ya, have you filled that basketweaver position yet?
Basketweaver boss: Actually got a pretty promising candidate.
Teapot boss: Good for you, anyone I might know?
Basketweaver boss: This guy Chaotic, HR sent him to me to check him out, he seems like he'd be a really good fit with <people in my dept> and interviewed great
Teapot boss: Oh I've met him, I interviewed him too for <Teapot position> and thought the same thing, am actually about to make him an offer. Good to know my thinking isn't too far off.

Obviously one of 1000 possible scenarios. However only apply for basketweaver if you're fairly well interested and think you'd be able to interview well. Dont let the years of experience thing throw you -- those are inflated on job apps all the time. These people have met you for an in-person interview, it's not like they found your resume on Monster. Honestly, I'd take this as a good sign, although there's still no way for you or me to know from what they've said. It means they liked you not only enough to not disappear into the void on you but to even want to discuss a different position for you for whatever reason.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm retooling my website since it's been a couple of years and I've let it slip. I've also since moved to Quebec, whose official language is french. That being said, the majority of people can read and speak both, albeit broken, and the majority of networking done in my field is in english, so it becomes a matter of politics. Having the information on my website in both languages makes it cluttered; do I run the risk of someone passing on my website if it's one language or the other? What's the best way to approach this - do I just make a separate version of the website in the alternate language? A splash page asking which language they prefer before it loads?

My website is literally a website of my CV with the usual links. Before I dive into its redesign, I'm just wondering what the best option is. The goal for the moment is mainly networking since I'm probably going to be at my current job for at least another two years, so I'm leaning towards making it exclusively english.

Actually I think I just answered my own question.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Standard practice is to have two versions, there's some sort of way to detect which language the user has their browser set to, and you just stick a link to the other language in the upper right corner.

Anything with both languages on it get insanely cluttered and bad.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

seacat posted:

My thoughts on this as a hiring manager is that you're reading way too much into stuff you can't possibly know from the outside. All you can do is read what they said which is they are still strongly considering you for teapot dude.

Maybe they are lying and already gave the teapot job to someone else. Or maybe they're 100% honest and were so impressed that they want to give you the opportunity to take a choice between positions. Or maybe Basket Weaver sucks rear end and has a 3 month turnover rate and they toss that job at anyone who applies to any other position at the company. Who knows.

You said basketweaver pays more and you'd be happy doing it (at least pre-interview). Even if it's outside your comfort zone I'd recommend you go interview. It's unlikely to hurt your chances with the teapot position. Hiring managers KNOW you're interviewing with other places. Obviously the caveat here is that they're two positions within the same company making it much easier for them to share info but this shouldn't be a problem because even in larger industries people share info all the time. Something like this might happen:

Basketweaver boss bumps into Teapot boss at water cooler.
Teapot boss: Hey how are ya, have you filled that basketweaver position yet?
Basketweaver boss: Actually got a pretty promising candidate.
Teapot boss: Good for you, anyone I might know?
Basketweaver boss: This guy Chaotic, HR sent him to me to check him out, he seems like he'd be a really good fit with <people in my dept> and interviewed great
Teapot boss: Oh I've met him, I interviewed him too for <Teapot position> and thought the same thing, am actually about to make him an offer. Good to know my thinking isn't too far off.

Obviously one of 1000 possible scenarios. However only apply for basketweaver if you're fairly well interested and think you'd be able to interview well. Dont let the years of experience thing throw you -- those are inflated on job apps all the time. These people have met you for an in-person interview, it's not like they found your resume on Monster. Honestly, I'd take this as a good sign, although there's still no way for you or me to know from what they've said. It means they liked you not only enough to not disappear into the void on you but to even want to discuss a different position for you for whatever reason.

I figured I was overthinking it. Thanks! I'm going to write back and let her know I'd be interested in hearing more about the opportunity and see where it goes.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 5, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Has anyone used hired.com, and if so, what was your experience like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Just looking for some quick advice. I own my own business (philswallets.com) but I'm looking for a part time gig with benefits. (probably a teller at a bank)

Should I just leave out all of the work I have put into things like web design, product packaging, efficient production methods ect ect?

From what I gather I should tailor the resume for the job. I assume I may be doing some sales as well (setting up accounts.) So should my resume really just include stuff relevant to my sales and customer service skills? I feel like I am glossing over a whole lot, in fact the majority of what I do but it might just look better on paper that way.