Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Saw someone earlier asking where Sneasel is. It's after the sixth gym. After you save the Abomasnow and can ride the Mamoswine through the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Note to thread:

Froakie like having their cheeks rubbed.

For whatever reason, I'm having a ton of trouble with petting. Half the time I end up hitting them instead, let alone being able to pet a specific part.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
Ugh, three Impish Froakies in a row. If I didn't know better I would think this game's trying to get me to choose another starter.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Gaseous Snake posted:

I can choose a Kanto starter? gently caress yes!

... Oh God which one!? :gonk:

For me it depended on which starter's mega would have the best ability. Drought is technically better for Charizard; but I still went with Venusaur, as having Thick Fat on a grass type is quite intriguing to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

gannyGrabber posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, and it's probably going to get buried pretty quickly, but if you're looking to but the system specifically for this game, it's worthwhile to just go with a 2DS. The 3D effect seems to get turned off a lot in this game.

The 3D effects look pretty good when used, especially the evolving screen. But I'm noticing a lot of slowdown during battles when in 3D in certain places. I end up turning off the 3D which I never do

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So are any of the non-kanto starters obtainable (reasonably early) in this game or will I have to ask a kind Goon in the trading thread if I want one of those?

Also, I was told by a pokegoon that I could probably get most Pokemon I wanted if I asked nicely in the trading thread. I don't want to seem greedy but is this true? I'm already trying to figure out my dream team and oh god I want so many Pokemon :ohdear:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Geostomp posted:

I'm loving my Vivillon's Modern wings, but wondering when it'll finally learn some decent attacks. Is there anybody online with the updated movelists and stats for the games now? I'm all for discovery, but I'm getting a little annoyed about fumbling in the dark for every basic little thing.

What level is yours? It learns Psybeam sometime before level 17 and you can teach it Thief and Infestation via TM. It's great to have around the Poke-Castle area at Route 7.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Welp just blew 10k on the Rastafarian outfit. :lron:

Keep resetting the date at Cyllage City and the outfit will come up piece by piece.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

InterrupterJones posted:

For me it depended on which starter's mega would have the best ability. Drought is technically better for Charizard; but I still went with Venusaur, as having Thick Fat on a grass type is quite intriguing to me.

I ended up going with Squirtle just because I like Wartortle so much. I'm still the same as I was when I played Blue as a kid.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All I'm getting is old ambers. On the plus side I can now wield a team of 6 Aerodactyls!

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I must retarded, but how do you mega evolve during a battle assuming you're holding the item?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Just found an Everstone at Geosenge Town.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

gently caress you, Nintendo. I paid $40, I should be able to nickname myself Bitches. :argh:

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

All I'm getting is old ambers. On the plus side I can now wield a team of 6 Aerodactyls!

I missed Rock Smash. Where do I get that at. I love Areodactyl. He's my favorite non-dragon that Lance used.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What egg group is Froakie in? I'm going through all my males and Operation gently caress my Frog is not working out.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Unbound posted:

I missed Rock Smash. Where do I get that at. I love Areodactyl. He's my favorite non-dragon that Lance used.

Fossil town, there's a person outdoors who gives it away.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
I don't get the Pokemon-Amie hate. It's actually exceptionally clear. If you go back to the main screen (with the furniture that does nothing that I can tell) and tap the "switch" button you can see three bars. The top bar is how much it likes you, the middle bar tells you whether you can shove more cakes down their throat (Fewer cakes pictured= give it cake) and the bottom bar is how much of your stupid petting bullshit they will deal with (more notes means you can pet it more before it is sick of you). I puzzled this out in like 5 minutes.

I do, however think it is total bullshit that this didn't completely replace happiness. I figured it out pretty quickly though, between the feeling checker in the first gym's town and the mediocre damage on return. Happiness has always been sort of hidden and nebulous though, so it isn't like they could put an NPC in there that's like "oh btw, this doesn't use the same secret stat as the other gens"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Republicans posted:

gently caress you, Nintendo. I paid $40, I should be able to nickname myself Bitches. :argh:

I was able to nickname myself Big Beyotch

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

I must retarded, but how do you mega evolve during a battle assuming you're holding the item?

A big, obvious rainbow button when you hit 'fight'.

It's most likely not showing up for you because it only appears after a point in the story.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Brick Shipment posted:

A big, obvious rainbow button when you hit 'fight'.

It's most likely not showing up for you because it only appears after a point in the story.

Oh. What point in the story?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Comrade Flynn posted:

Oh. What point in the story?

When Mega Evolutions get explained after the third gym.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

kater posted:

Foreign Pokemon lose their foreign names if you evolve them? Lame, I really wanted a Roucarnage instead of friggin Pidgeot.

The Honedge I traded for is nicknamed '(O)' and I might just keep that name because it's growing on me for some dumb reason

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm nowhere near the point where Mega Evolutions are explained, but as a preemptive thing, where can you find Mawilenite?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

This is far and away the best Pokemon game I ever played. Nintendo even managed to do the internet right in this. Where are the Special Attack and Special Defense O Powers? Are there others? I absolutely love seeing all the different messages from people all around the world constantly pouring in, and giving random strangers O Powers (and hopefully getting some back)

Also, the new perspective finally made for actually fun/interesting caves in a Pokemon game, ever.

I really want to see Wailord in the new engine.

Also, I would do literally anything for a shiny Beldum. Metagross is my absolute favorite 'Mon and I'd flip a poo poo if I had the shiny Metagross in my arsenal. Fairy types are weird so far, but I think Steel beats Fairy, right? Oh well. GOTY, just GOTY.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

gannyGrabber posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, and it's probably going to get buried pretty quickly, but if you're looking to but the system specifically for this game, it's worthwhile to just go with a 2DS. The 3D effect seems to get turned off a lot in this game.

As someone who will never, ever turn the 3D slider on for more than 2 seconds in this or any game, I strongly disagree. The 2DS has an unpleasant form factor, is significantly less portable, and isn't that cheaper by enough degrees to offset these issues. Also even if you only want a 3DS for this game, unless you're the worlds biggest weirdo, at some point you're going to get another game or two and this is literally the only game I've heard of having slowdown with the 3D effect on, so why negate your ability to use a feature because one game doesn't make good use of it?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Fairy types are weird so far, but I think Steel beats Fairy, right?

Yeah, Steel and Poison are the two.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This is far and away the best Pokemon game I ever played. Nintendo even managed to do the internet right in this. Where are the Special Attack and Special Defense O Powers? Are there others? I absolutely love seeing all the different messages from people all around the world constantly pouring in, and giving random strangers O Powers (and hopefully getting some back)

Also, the new perspective finally made for actually fun/interesting caves in a Pokemon game, ever.

GOTY, just GOTY.

I agree with all of this.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I really want to see Wailord in the new engine.

Also, I would do literally anything for a shiny Beldum. Metagross is my absolute favorite 'Mon and I'd flip a poo poo if I had the shiny Metagross in my arsenal. Fairy types are weird so far, but I think Steel beats Fairy, right? Oh well. GOTY, just GOTY.

Almost every city has hotels, just go up a floor and find bonding guy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BougieBitch posted:

I don't get the Pokemon-Amie hate. It's actually exceptionally clear. If you go back to the main screen (with the furniture that does nothing that I can tell) and tap the "switch" button you can see three bars. The top bar is how much it likes you, the middle bar tells you whether you can shove more cakes down their throat (Fewer cakes pictured= give it cake) and the bottom bar is how much of your stupid petting bullshit they will deal with (more notes means you can pet it more before it is sick of you). I puzzled this out in like 5 minutes.

I do, however think it is total bullshit that this didn't completely replace happiness. I figured it out pretty quickly though, between the feeling checker in the first gym's town and the mediocre damage on return. Happiness has always been sort of hidden and nebulous though, so it isn't like they could put an NPC in there that's like "oh btw, this doesn't use the same secret stat as the other gens"

Is there a way to figure out what treats your pokemon like? Every single treat I found was rejected and just made my little dudes angry at me so I said gently caress it and went on to the battle training stuff, which is actually really fun.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is Vivillon's pattern decided only when he evolves for the first time and your region or does it change depending on your current region? The "modern" pattern I got for Florida is dumb looking. I'd love a marine pattern

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

WendigoJohnson posted:

I was able to nickname myself Big Beyotch

gently caress it, restarted as the (arguably) black kid and going by B'Rock Obama. Now do I nickname myself IslamicShock or SuperAllah?

parara
Apr 9, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

Mine all were the same colored icon.

You can get a Power Busines Suit there for the girl trainer, that's apparently the only amount of cross dressing you can do. The Male outfit there is just slightly girly, but it's not Saints Row 4 levels of cross dressing. It's more along the levels of Twilight Vampire girly man clothes.

Sorry, can you explain further? I'm wearing an outfit with full sporty tags and she's still not letting me in.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Lookie what just hatched for me...

My first one since original g/s red gyrados!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Is there a way to figure out what treats your pokemon like? Every single treat I found was rejected and just made my little dudes angry at me so I said gently caress it and went on to the battle training stuff, which is actually really fun.

I noticed that if you leave the amie start screen open while you move around the game world, the mini sprite of the selected pokemon will "think" about it's favorite food type. Worked wonders for me.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Thoughts on 3D: It's really a shame that you can only turn it on in specific places. I would've loved to have seen what they could do with a full 3D canvas for the game, but it probably would've not turned out as well anyway.

Thoughts on this being GotY: I think it's a strong contender. It has a lot of main console competition, but it could still turn out to be it.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Alkydere posted:

You are probably just throwing food on the ground. To actually feed your pokemon, you have to hold it up to their mouths, that is drag it right up there. Simply tapping on food leads to it falling on the ground, which they perceive as you taunting them.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Vegastar posted:

Lookie what just hatched for me...

My first one since original g/s red gyrados!

My jealousy is far to much for two shiny Chespins in one thread.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
So there's this one trainer in the area with the tall grass that has a Volbeat. It comes with a moveset consisting of DoubleTeam/ConfuseRay/Moonlight/Tackle. I had to sit there and fight that hellspawn for twenty minutes before I managed to get enough hits in a row. The game is a lot more fun now that I'm out of the initial period where enemies spam nothing but sand attack, double team, growl, and such moves but....Jesus that first chunk of the game is painful.

Rubbing Snorlax's belly and watching him jiggle around from joy makes it all worth it though.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Bruceski posted:

Every time someone wonder trades me a Spewpa I evolve it up and send it back into the aether. Neat to see all the different patterns.

Aw man why didn't I think of that? Gonna do that now

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Is Vivillon's pattern decided only when he evolves for the first time and your region or does it change depending on your current region? The "modern" pattern I got for Florida is dumb looking. I'd love a marine pattern

It's based on your 3ds's profile's region (say, United States + Florida) when you first start your game. Only one pattern per save game. Florida's is the modern pattern.

Here's a helpful guide made by /vp/: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AnK7UlEL3WjddGw5REdFOV9CWWZ6MFpkRHZxSG5qa0E&toomany=true#gid=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Republicans posted:

gently caress it, restarted as the (arguably) black kid and going by B'Rock Obama. Now do I nickname myself IslamicShock or SuperAllah?

Does this mean I have to have the Pewter City badge to qualify for the Affordable Care Act?

Seriously, Brock/B'Rock/Barack.

BougieBitch posted:

You are probably just throwing food on the ground. To actually feed your pokemon, you have to hold it up to their mouths, that is drag it right up there. Simply tapping on food leads to it falling on the ground, which they perceive as you taunting them.

Really? REALLY? Now I feel dumb.

• Locked thread