Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
After some reading up it seems the 4gb RAM is not an issue for most people but also that the m3 is the only tablet model that is fanless. The other ones have fans that can kick in and apparently get pretty loud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah that peaked my interest too and I noticed that the SP4 is only 100 more so why not get that...

But I always like to have a spare computer to fix my main computer, and my Asus netbook from 2009 with windows xp is battered to hell.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If anyone is in the UK or Ireland, Curry's/PC World have the Surface Pro 4 i5/4/128 bundle today only (Cyber Monday) with type cover for £699/€875, slightly cheaper than MS are offering it.

I'd convinced myself not to bother but these deals are so tempting.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:same: I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need it for that price tag but it looks like a really neat piece of tech and all I hear about Android tablets is that they have no future because no one cares about them. :sigh:

I guess there's still the ipads but then I'd have a windows PC, an Android phone and a Mac tablet :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Well the thing for me was that I was thinking that dropping this much right before Christmas was a bad idea, and that it would be better to wait for January sales. But the fact that there are some really good deals this week is changing my mind a little.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

After some reading up it seems the 4gb RAM is not an issue for most people but also that the m3 is the only tablet model that is fanless. The other ones have fans that can kick in and apparently get pretty loud?

The fan loudness is subjective. The fan noise is quieter than a USB DVD driver spinning up, and the fan only kicks in under high CPU load.
Ie, testing how Talos Principle ran on it, and other high CPU load tasks.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Just out of interest do you have 4 or 8 GB and how well did that game (or others) run?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I have the surface pro 4 i5/8gb model.
Talos principle had noticable lag at the default pro 4 screen resolution with minimum graphic settings. Bumping down the resolution removed the lag.
Talos Principle was the most graphically intense game I've run on the pro 4.
I haven't tried overwatch or LoL or diablo3 or battlefield1 on it, because I don't own those games.

Back of the surface device is noticably warm whenever I've heard the cooling fan turn on.
CPU fan has also kicked in when running multiple virtualizated machines, or a single high CPU load virtual machine(OS updates, compiling code, etc).
Surface Pro 4 cooling fan is quieter than as a desktop CPU fan and/or a cdrom drive. If you dislike any .

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/ might be something to look at if you're interested in the surface devices.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are the non pro surface tabs decent for a video watching tablet/ light laptop replacement (eg taking notes at meetings, web browsing). Would an Android tab with a type cover be better for that if I'm just going to be using google docs?

I have a laptop from like 2011 that I barely use and I feel like a tablet like computer would be a good replacement if I can use for notes, etc.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
So I want a tablet that does the following
* screen >= 8"
* Can watch 1080p videos reliably
* Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, YouTube

So it looks like the cheapest/best route is the Fire HD 8, but I'm just gonna post in here and see if there is some secret non apple/samsung/fire tablet for $60 that does all of that well enough. From looking at the OP that doesn't seem to be the case, but here's to hoping.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GenericGirlName posted:

So I want a tablet that does the following
* screen >= 8"
* Can watch 1080p videos reliably
* Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, YouTube

So it looks like the cheapest/best route is the Fire HD 8, but I'm just gonna post in here and see if there is some secret non apple/samsung/fire tablet for $60 that does all of that well enough. From looking at the OP that doesn't seem to be the case, but here's to hoping.

For $60 how can you go wrong. I bought a 6" for my daughter last year and she loves it so I bought an 8" for myself but am waiting until xmas to open it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Did Nvidia stop making the K1 now too? Out of stock on their site, and Amazon.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience with the Surface Pro 4 with the 128GB HD and using SD cards to supplement storage? I'm wondering if the $300 bump to 256GB is worth it.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

E2M2 posted:

Did Nvidia stop making the K1 now too? Out of stock on their site, and Amazon.

As far as I can tell this happens every so often and they stay out of stock for like a month, but it always comes back. Guessing they just spin up the factory every couple of months or don't stock units until they have a large number of them.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 3, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Thwomp posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Surface Pro 4 with the 128GB HD and using SD cards to supplement storage? I'm wondering if the $300 bump to 256GB is worth it.

I'd be wary because SD cards can be failure prone, particular on the larger ones. I've definitely seen at least one complaint somewhere that someone's Surface was eating SD cards but it could have been an isolated case. Don't use it for important documents at least.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I need something cheap that's ~9.7"
Battery and overall usability are most important after that. The Fire won't do what I want, so whatever's the next step up from that

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

burritonegro posted:

I need something cheap that's ~9.7"
Battery and overall usability are most important after that. The Fire won't do what I want, so whatever's the next step up from that

Samsung got yo back

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

isndl posted:

I'd be wary because SD cards can be failure prone, particular on the larger ones. I've definitely seen at least one complaint somewhere that someone's Surface was eating SD cards but it could have been an isolated case. Don't use it for important documents at least.

Mmm, I've found SD cards are best used for media storage. Things that are also sitting on your home drives or in cloud.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Crossposting from the phone recommendation thread:
Can anyone recommend a cheap android phone/mini-tablet to be used for skype and snapchat and instagram over wifi with no cell plan?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer posted:

Crossposting from the phone recommendation thread:
Can anyone recommend a cheap android phone/mini-tablet to be used for skype and snapchat and instagram over wifi with no cell plan?

Tablet: Fire 7 for $49 or Fire HD 8 for $89

Phone: Moto E 2nd Gen Verizon for $34 at Best Buy

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone with a Surface Pro 4 comment on some of the concerns brought up by this The Wirecutter article: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/can-pro-tablets-replace-your-laptop/#windows-microsofts-surface-pro-4-and-samsungs-galaxy-tabpro-s

TL;DR version is: Good for drawing-creative types, not great at replicating the experience of having a laptop on your lap, low battery life, and lack of USB-C. It also advocates waiting for likely improved screens and that USB-C inclusion in a Surface Pro 5. However, it does a good job of being able to do the kind of multitasking you'd expect to do on a Windows PC/laptop in a tablet form-factor which you can't do in iOS very well.

I might just pull the trigger when a Surface goes on sale with a free type cover next week in the Microsoft store. Just wanted to see how prevalent these issues really are.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

looked at the wirecutter review.
Yes, no, no, yes. (from your tldr summary).
USB-C argument: shrug, personal usage case.
Surface display is really good, has been so since the pro 3 came out.
Kickstand is really nice: it can really extend out to a nearly flat angle...first pic from
http://www.windowscentral.com/four-ways-surface-pro-4-better-ipad-pro

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
No USB-C is honestly a good thing, since you probably don't own a whole lot of USB-C to USB-C devices and cables.

I use mine as a laptop plenty personally, and it works really nicely as a general tablet too.

I don't know what people want out of an improved screen, since 4k at 11in is really nice and it has good colors.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whats the cheapest windows 10 tablet with a stylus that has pressure sensitivity?

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I hate making this post, and probably shouldn't, but the cheapest Windows tablet with pressure sensitive pen support would likely be something like the Cube i7 Book.

I hate making this post, because I would really like to recommend Cube (because I own one and I'm extremely happy with it, like prefer it to Surface happy) but I just plain can't, for a number of reasons.

Reason one is that their quality control is basically a lottery, and you'll likely have an issue that you'll either need to fix yourself, or return it(*1). Reason two is related to this; you have to buy them from places like Ali or GearBest, meaning returns are a pain to accomplish even if their return policies and buyer protection are improving nowadays(*2) and reason three is that unless you're somewhere like Europe where the price of them is comically better than an equivalent brand device(*3), the price difference between that and a second hand Surface isn't really enough to justify the hassle.

So, if you're feeling lucky, are adventurous enough to want to crack it open and do some fiddling(*4) if need be, and have a few hundred that you don't mind throwing into the dark, pick up the i7: it'll do what you need for cheap. If you don't want a month of anxiety to save a few hundred - particularly if you're in the US - look at your local second hand sites.

(*1) - My tablet came with a crippling defect out of the box, which made it unusable.
(*2) - After arguing with the seller, invoked the dispute process, which worked well, but was then faced with a months-long returns process at my expense.
(*3) - It was just over 400 with keyboard and accessories, compared to the nearest options of 800 or 1200 for second- and first- hand respectively.
(*4) - Decided to take a chance and fix it myself, and while I was in there upgraded it and now get much better performance.

---

Lots of people have better experiences no doubt, this is just mine. As I said; love to recommend it, can't, and basically here's why if it helps at all.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 10, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you want to be cheap, most of HP's 2 in 1 do support their active pen, or you can get a refurbished Surface 4 for like $700.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm looking to read magazines, newspapers, and non-fiction books on a tablet. Already have a Kindle for books, but will be nice to have a tablet that better supports images and maps.

This is literally all I want the tablet for. Does it make sense to buy an iPad? If so, which one? I've been looking at the iPad Mini 2 and it looks like it's good enough for my purposes.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

How will you be "procuring" them?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I subscribe to the Economist and the New York Times so I use their Newstand apps. Most of my books are from the Kindle store, so I assume either the Kindle app or something else for books.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

In that case yeah, buy an ipad and never think twice about it. I don't know much about ipads but my only question about the mini is whether it will be supported much longer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It will have at least one more year of support, since Apple seems to be doing a minimum of four years, and it's 64-bit so it might go a bit beyond that. That said, it's the same hardware as my iPad Air, which I find pretty sluggish.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Performance was what I was concerned about. My gut said that surely magazines and books don't need a very fast processor to run well at all. Do I really need anything better than a 2nd gen iPad mini to do all those things?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mostly just use it in the kitchen to play podcasts and have recipes displayed, which it's okay for. You should be fine for your needs, but maybe keep your receipt just in case.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I'm looking to read magazines, newspapers, and non-fiction books on a tablet. Already have a Kindle for books, but will be nice to have a tablet that better supports images and maps.

This is literally all I want the tablet for. Does it make sense to buy an iPad? If so, which one? I've been looking at the iPad Mini 2 and it looks like it's good enough for my purposes.

If you're going to use it to mainly read books and are already using Amazon's ecosystem, why not just buy a fire hd?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

iPad screen ratio is better.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

My Nexus 7 is old and dying, and I'd like to upgrade to something with a bigger screen. Everything I've owned is Android, but I'm considering going to an iPad Pro next (my alternative would be a Pixel C). My question is, how much trouble is it to make the transition? I haven't bought a lot of apps, so I'm less concerned about getting everything again on the new system, but my main concerns in rough order of priority are:

1) Having all the Google apps available (and easy to sync). I use Gmail, Chrome, Google Calendar, Google Drive, etc.; are those all good on iOS?
2) Widgets. I like having weather, email, calendar etc. visible from my home screen. Searching around, I guess iOS 10 does this from the lock screen, so is it that different in practice?
3) File transfers. I like that I can just plug an Android device into a USB port and access the file system, but I understand that iOS devices need to go through iTunes. Is this as much an inconvenience as it sounds?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I've never used an iOS device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1) Yeah, everything is good (or at least no worse than their Android counterparts), though mobile Safari is vastly better than iOS Chrome since it has access to content blockers.
2) The screen to the left of the main home screen is for widgets, so yeah. You can't split widgets and apps on a screen, though.
3) Depends what you're trying to do. You can't really drag and drop if that's what you're hoping for. Some apps will let you set them as a server and you can transfer over wifi, though.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Endless Mike posted:

1) Yeah, everything is good (or at least no worse than their Android counterparts), though mobile Safari is vastly better than iOS Chrome since it has access to content blockers.
2) The screen to the left of the main home screen is for widgets, so yeah. You can't split widgets and apps on a screen, though.
3) Depends what you're trying to do. You can't really drag and drop if that's what you're hoping for. Some apps will let you set them as a server and you can transfer over wifi, though.
Thanks for the answers. For 3, I'm thinking things like transferring CBR files or other side loaded media. I guess it works by individual app, which sounds like it might be more annoying than the "download > open" process of computers or Android, but it seems like something I can give a shot and see how I like it.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on Asus tablets? I've been looking at the Asus ZenPad 3s 10 and it looks like a good bargain if you can deal with their ROM of android. I'm just curious since it's $200 cheaper than a Pixel C and worth considering with that kind of saving.

edit: My typical usage will be watching videos, checking the forums, etc.

HolyDukeNukem fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on Asus tablets? I've been looking at the Asus ZenPad 3s 10 and it looks like a good bargain if you can deal with their ROM of android. I'm just curious since it's $200 cheaper than a Pixel C and worth considering with that kind of saving.

edit: My typical usage will be watching videos, checking the forums, etc.

I'm also tempted by this tablet, but I'm worried about updates. ASUS are saying they will update it, but afaik there's no date set, so it'd come out of date out of the box.