Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Omniblivion posted:

Yes, and you can even powerstance two of the same class of weapons and get a new moveset! To powerstance, you have to have 1.5 the STR required for the weapon and you have to hold the (one handed -> two handed switch button).

I believe you have to have 1.5x the required STR and DEX both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Xavier434 posted:

I feel relieved that this is not what to expect from most enemies that I commonly encounter going forward, but with all due respect gently caress that noise. This thing is going down tonight even if I have to do it at 50% of my hp. It's on.

Like I said if you need a breather to heal yourself/recover stamina, that guy will not be able to follow you beyond the doorway. Yeah it's a little cheesy but I think with such a massive power imbalance that's something worth taking advantage of.

There's a total of three of those cyclops guys in the starting area. Two more near the sex change coffin.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So does the PC version use your Steam display name for invasions/co-op? Being able to change it on a whim to go along with joke/gimmick characters would be great.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My friend is having some issues with multiplayer. He can't put down his soapstone sign at all. He's tried reloading the save, quitting and restarting the game, moving to a different area, and just about anything else you could think of. He said one of his messages got rated while he was trying so he's not offline, and he's been summoned before at the location he's at. He says he has a buff symbol under his hp/stam bars that looks like a soapstone with a red line through it.

I've only ever played on consoles and I haven't come across this issue at all. Anyone got any ideas?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

There's a total of three of those cyclops guys in the starting area. Two more near the sex change coffin.

So that's what going into that coffin did.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Oops apparently I went in the wrong order after Pursuer. Gonna check out Heide's place!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ Yeah thing is Heide's leads somewhere else which leads to that place that you ended up instead, so you may as well go check out those other two zones first, unless you're speedrunning for whatever reason.

Machai posted:

So does the PC version use your Steam display name for invasions/co-op? Being able to change it on a whim to go along with joke/gimmick characters would be great.

Yeah, we all hoped it would.

Nope, its char name. I'm stuck being a doofus now.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I feel relieved that this is not what to expect from most enemies that I commonly encounter going forward, but with all due respect gently caress that noise. This thing is going down tonight even if I have to do it at 50% of my hp. It's on.

You can beat him bare handed if you get him to chain "sit" attack . Give it a shot- you'll see what I mean.

Zaphod42 posted:

You don't get fire weapon until NG+ though. You could burn an ascetic, but its easier for most players to go int and use magic weapon or dark weapon.

It's not even for the Fire/Dark weapons- it's for the spells! Hexes are awesome in both PVE and PVP.

I'm personally using Lightning (50 faith), but I don't rely on spells in PVP. That said, I leveled to 250 on PS3 with Hexes and Fire, and I regret moving away from that.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
What the gently caress is up with weapon durability? Kill a dog. Oh sorry did you hit the ground? Well that's 5 of your 60 durability gone.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

For anyone struggling with the Sentinels like I was, just summon the NPC in a cell near the fog door and bring the Drangleic Shield. You can tank all of their attacks no problem while the NPC shoots spells at it. The NPC will probably die but by then there will likely only be one left, and they're easy on their own.

Game owns, it may even be better than the original. Just beat Lost Sinner and am still using the Heide Sword upgraded to +4, should I be looking at something better or is it still sufficient for now? It's serving me well but how long will it realistically be good for?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

If you can stay behind him he will just keep trying to butt-slam you which is easy to dodge and gives you plenty of chances to counter attack.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Welp, lost 11k souls. Time for a break :shepicide:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've modified Dexter's AHK script a bit to go with my 5-button Logitech G400S:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{u}
return

XButton1::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

XButton2::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{t}
return

In my keys, h is R1, u is L1, and t is R2. The XButtons will amazingly reliably perform guard break and leap attacks. Middle mouse button is unchanged. Right button will block without mouse input lag and function as a regular right click, left button will light attack and function as a regular left click. If I want to do a R2 attack, I just press T which is right next to my L2 (parry) keybind (R). This also means that spam click attacking will do a series of R1, so you don't accidentally mix your R1 and R2 attacks.

I'm liking it so far!

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Still no word on the VAC business. I want to play online, FROM. :smith:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Yes. It is your character name. There's some name censoring going on too.

Oh. I would have picked something cooler/dumber if I had known that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So, where can I get items and equipment to make Valley of Defilement 3.0 suck less? I don't have much poison resistance and only 2 poison moss.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Welp, lost 11k souls. Time for a break :shepicide:

Try another area, you'll find that 11k souls is laughable later on in the game.

As a reference, there is a boss towards the end of the game that you can farm indefinitely for 300-500k souls every 7 minutes.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Nope, its char name. I'm stuck being a doofus now.

This is actually better imo because you don't need to change your steam name every time you switch characters. Just be sure to give them w/e gimmicky name you will be using when you make em (or maybe change it through hacking later on if you have no qualms with that).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

dis astranagant posted:

So, where can I get items and equipment to make Valley of Defilement 3.0 suck less? I don't have much poison resistance and only 2 poison moss.

A torch will help. 99 life gems will also help since chewing on one of them will counter about 80% of the poison and chewing on the other after the first one runs out will heal you back up. The moths in huntsman copse drop poison moss. Gavlan sells unlimited poison moss if you want to wheel and deal.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Poison resist doesn't do poo poo. Just pop a life gem every time you get poisoned.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Life gems. That's really all you need to clear the area. Two lifegems per instance of poison and you're set.

Also, something very important in this area that is a huge spoiler: be sure to set the windmill on fire- there is a ledge in the building you enter that leads up to a windmill, right after a bon fire. Igniting that will save your balls and will make it so you can actually beat the boss :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

An Actual Bear posted:

For anyone struggling with the Sentinels like I was, just summon the NPC in a cell near the fog door and bring the Drangleic Shield. You can tank all of their attacks no problem while the NPC shoots spells at it. The NPC will probably die but by then there will likely only be one left, and they're easy on their own.

Game owns, it may even be better than the original. Just beat Lost Sinner and am still using the Heide Sword upgraded to +4, should I be looking at something better or is it still sufficient for now? It's serving me well but how long will it realistically be good for?

I don't know, every time I used her she died right around the time the first guy went down, then left me to fight the two others on my own. I didn't manage until I got a good heavy armor/melee guy to tank for me while I used magic.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

GhostDog posted:

What the gently caress is up with weapon durability? Kill a dog. Oh sorry did you hit the ground? Well that's 5 of your 60 durability gone.

Not gunna lie I don't like this change either.

Repairing poo poo was an unnecessary hassle in Dark Souls but God drat I'd take that over my weapons almost breaking all the loving time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Omniblivion posted:

It's not even for the Fire/Dark weapons- it's for the spells! Hexes are awesome in both PVE and PVP.

I'm personally using Lightning (50 faith), but I don't rely on spells in PVP. That said, I leveled to 250 on PS3 with Hexes and Fire, and I regret moving away from that.

But he was specifically asking for which would benefit him as as swordsman, not which would be better as a wizard :colbert:

An Actual Bear posted:

Should be fine with that weapon I think. Just keep upgrading it when you get more titanite or whatever and it should be able to carry you through the game (although better if you are putting points in fth). You may find something else you prefer later on, there are some cool weapons, but there's nothing wrong with it. :)

If you have 0 fth though you'd be better off with like anything else.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

But he was specifically asking for which would benefit him as as swordsman, not which would be better as a wizard :colbert:

Hexes are doable for a guy dabbling in magic. They have fairly low requirements unless you're getting into the crazy ones that 1 or 2 shot a boss.

Edit: Or actually that one is pretty low magic stat-wise too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Repairing poo poo was an unnecessary hassle in Dark Souls but God drat I'd take that over my weapons almost breaking all the loving time.

You are crazy, the new system is about 10000000x better than the old one, it's great.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
So after repeatedly getting raped in the forest of the giants and almost to the point of quitting, I finally figured out what I did wrong.

Turns out I absentmindedly joined a covenant that made the game 3 times harder. Oops.

Don't touch that Victor or champions covenant unless you want to get hurt.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
^^^^^ I did that my first playthrough, oops!

Zaphod42 posted:

From my perspective- unless you're cosplaying a pure swordsman or running some sort of challenge, there is no reason not to pick up at least a few hexes/fire spells. If you're just dabbling in either faith or int, you shouldn't be using any of the weapon buff spells, as you'd get better results from consumables that are available throughout the game.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is rolling a Cleric this game's easy mode? I've downed what I assume are the first four bosses (Last Giant, Dragonrider, Dragonslayer, and Flexible Sentry), but haven't died since the Forest. Lightning Spear made the third one especially trivial.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

^^^ Lightning Spear + Mace owns so much, dual maces own doubly so.

doctor 7 posted:

You repair every time you rest at a bonfire, and you can get a ring that reduces durability damage fairly early on in the Lost Bastille

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Omniblivion posted:

^^^^^ I did that my first playthrough, oops!

From my perspective- unless you're cosplaying a pure swordsman or running some sort of challenge, there is no reason not to pick up at least a few hexes/fire spells. If you're just dabbling in either faith or int, you shouldn't be using any of the weapon buff spells, as you'd get better results from consumables that are available throughout the game.

What's better is that there's no reason to not dabble in magic since SL doesn't mean poo poo and you're better off leveling up all the time because Soul Memory is a really bad idea when executed/kept for NG+ and beyond.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They are working on some of the issues right now.

:siren:

quote:

We are aware of an issue some Dark Souls II PC players are having with the game upon start-up.

We have identified the issue, and the team is currently working towards a resolution.

We have highlighted a few possible temporary fixes and will keep you posted on our progress on the official Dark Souls II Steam Forums: http://bit.ly/1kduB6S

Thank you for your patience!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chevalier Cat posted:

Is rolling a Cleric this game's easy mode? I've downed what I assume are the first four bosses (Last Giant, Dragonrider, Dragonslayer, and Flexible Sentry), but haven't died since the Forest. Lightning Spear made the third one especially trivial.

Those are some of the easiest bosses in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So after repeatedly getting raped in the forest of the giants and almost to the point of quitting, I finally figured out what I did wrong.

Turns out I absentmindedly joined a covenant that made the game 3 times harder. Oops.

Don't touch that Victor or champions covenant unless you want to get hurt.

:colbert: The game even asks you YES or NO? THREE times to make sure you know what you're doing when you join.

But you just spammed the button anyways :downs:

Reading really helps in dark souls, guys.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Chevalier Cat posted:

Generally, spells are easymode during the first part of the game. The game forces you to become more balanced (or blow a lot of consumables to keep your casts up) the further on you get. There is one area down the road that will suck balls if you're pure magic/faith.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
What are the rewards for killing the knight in white in the forest of the giants?

I want to know if it's worth dying repeatedly over just to try and kill him.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CrusherEAGLE posted:

What are the rewards for killing the knight in white in the forest of the giants?

Pretty cool lightning sword.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Andrast posted:

Dragonslayer can be rough until you get his moves down. True for the others.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Try Ranged Battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Yes, I would expect so, being the first few, but I still died to the Capra Demon (a bunch) and Gaping Dragon (once) in Dark Souls 1.