Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

gromdul posted:

Keeper of Souls and gem-swap troops to power him up.

Defense is a Whitehelm/Divine team with Archon/Paladin/Hero/Mercy. Works well on attack too as a synergistic, no frills team.

Thanks for this defense team, I like themed teams and currently giving this a go after maxing out my Mercy's traits last week.

Archon
Divine Hero w/ Yasmin's Chalice
Paladin
Mercy

Right now working on a Fey theme next with the following:

Treant (Mythic/3Traits from my farming team)
Dryad (3T)
Green Seer (1T)
Gloom Leaf (1T)

Just need to find a way to collect Beast/Plain traitstones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There needs to be a way to earn the troops that you want After 150 levels and not having a lot of the key elites I think I'm done with this unless they change away from the purely random model.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Two of the best teams don't use any legendary troops.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

and I'm sick of them after 150 levels

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

starkebn posted:

There needs to be a way to earn the troops that you want After 150 levels and not having a lot of the key elites I think I'm done with this unless they change away from the purely random model.
They are supposedly working on a way to craft specific cards, according to one of the guys on the official forum that lives near the dev studio and sometimes helps them test stuff. Probably not until 2.1 or later since they didn't mention it in the 2.0 preview.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
No 2.0 this week? Update looks good.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

gromdul posted:

No 2.0 this week? Update looks good.

It's going up tomorrow afternoon.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Yup:

http://community.gemsofwar.com/t/2-0-update-server-maintenance/7302

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Log in and get two gem keys for the service disruption. Double PVP rewards this week is nice.

I am thinking about running a summoner team on defense, Zulkari spiders and elves. Drof-whatever, Giant Spider, Spider Queen (so annoying) and something, maybe Spiderling.

Should be plenty annoying.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
I had what must have been an hour and a half long fight against dokkalfar, it came down to just my giant spider against his summon chain. ended up ignoring all skulls to try to keep the enemy spiders alive and just getting mana, chipping away at his poison-immune sunweaver-boosted rear end 5 hp at a time

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

New base mythic seem neat. Been saving my keys, guess I'll save them a bit longer until the first mythic dude is available.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Anyone running an all-dragon team? I tried Venoxia/Celestasia/Bone Dragon/Sheggra but I can't make it work. Plan was for Venoxia to feed Celestasia who would create brown gems for the other two, but I can't actually choose which gem it's going to create so that skill's all but worthless. Without a board manipulator, the skull dragons take too long to power up and, without them, Venoxia is useless (lol 2 True Damage).

ninguno posted:

I had what must have been an hour and a half long fight against dokkalfar, it came down to just my giant spider against his summon chain. ended up ignoring all skulls to try to keep the enemy spiders alive and just getting mana, chipping away at his poison-immune sunweaver-boosted rear end 5 hp at a time

Had one of these yesterday, though nowhere near 90 minutes. My Green Slime against a Summoner; by the end of the match I had 550 attack. Next time I'll just quit the game.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Oh that's pretty neat, if you devour a unit protected with barrier, you get the barrier too.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I made a dragon team with Emperina, Venoxia, Celestia, and Bone Dragon. Emperina is just a sponge/tank for Venoxia. I use Celestia to power up Venoxia only, since its more likely to turn into a cycle. But Venoxia is really dangerous because her attack gets huge. Bone Dragon sucks up brown and red after Emperina dies.

I only tested this a little, and haven't even leveled up my dragons. I don't have Sheggra yet, who is pretty amazing. None of them have traits either. If Bone Dragon had Frozen Soul, he'd be up front.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

starkebn posted:

Ya, I'm twice that, and still have no Sheggra, Bone Dragon or KoS. Annoying.

Sooo, TAVB talk, that's not a PvP team right? Just a farm team.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

porktree posted:

Ya, I'm twice that, and still have no Sheggra, Bone Dragon or KoS. Annoying.

I only lose about 1 in 50 doing PvP with it, you just play your own game and don't let them ever have a turn

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

porktree posted:

Since they started tracking wins and losses, I have won 1,601 PVP matches and lost 17. More than half of my losses came before I got Stoneskin on my Treant, some 1400 wins ago.

TAVB is a hell of a PVP team. It is quite possibly the most balanced and potent combination in the game. You may get bored of playing it, but as long as you have Treant's third trait you will have a very high win percentage.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

gromdul posted:

I made a dragon team with Emperina, Venoxia, Celestia, and Bone Dragon. Emperina is just a sponge/tank for Venoxia. I use Celestia to power up Venoxia only, since its more likely to turn into a cycle. But Venoxia is really dangerous because her attack gets huge. Bone Dragon sucks up brown and red after Emperina dies.

I only tested this a little, and haven't even leveled up my dragons. I don't have Sheggra yet, who is pretty amazing. None of them have traits either. If Bone Dragon had Frozen Soul, he'd be up front.

Sure, Venoxia often ends up with 50+ attack but, with the skull generators gathering mana manually, it takes a while to make use of it. If I'm unlucky, she dies before I can turn the board into a graveyard, leaving me with no heavy hitters. I'd like this team to work, but Celestasia is so unreliable compared to my usual "turn one color into another color" guys.

I actually just got Sheggra which is why I decided to go full dragon; they're all at level 10 except Venoxia. Can't afford more than the first trait for them either.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The dev just dropped a code: H1VKRXRXUR for 5k gold and a couple maps and keys. Dunno how long that'll last, though.

TAVB can take on almost everything with a bit of practice, especially if you game the AI who'll always prioritize skulls. Combined with Treant's Stoneskin and his ability, you should be able to take a couple of hits and once you spot a good board for Alchemists ability, you've usually won.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new creature card for this week seems like it sucks, but the bundle let me buy enough traitstones to fully trait Sheggra.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Who is the B in TAVB?

It's
Treant
Alchemist
Valkyrie
B???

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Banshee

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I have a pretty good selection of troops, but I have a hard time using anything other than TAVB against everything but goblins. The bonus souls and gold are too nice to give up.

My anti goblin team is:

GobChomper x2 fully traited
Soothsayer fully traited
Lamia fully trained

They all have Empowered so I fire everything off basically in order and hopefully eat a goblin or two before I even have to make a match.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Grundulum posted:

Since they started tracking wins and losses, I have won 1,601 PVP matches and lost 17. More than half of my losses came before I got Stoneskin on my Treant, some 1400 wins ago.

TAVB is a hell of a PVP team. It is quite possibly the most balanced and potent combination in the game. You may get bored of playing it, but as long as you have Treant's third trait you will have a very high win percentage.

I've got the Treant and others fully traited - A=Alchemist, V=Valkyrie, B=Boar Rider? Right? Maybe it was just a couple of bad boards combined with hitting 900+ level opponents. I'll keep trying it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Who is the B in TAVB?

It's
Treant
Alchemist
Valkyrie
B???

porktree posted:

I've got the Treant and others fully traited - A=Alchemist, V=Valkyrie, B=Boar Rider? Right? Maybe it was just a couple of bad boards combined with hitting 900+ level opponents. I'll keep trying it.

Oenis posted:

Banshee

Alch/Valk/Banshee creates a loop of flashing the board differnet colors, and treant benefits from and protects that.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Alch/Valk/Banshee creates a loop of flashing the board differnet colors, and treant benefits from and protects that.

Doh.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I seem to have reached a point where I'm now god-awful at this game. Due to the guild keys I now have a bajillion units, and can actually make that TAVB team talked about earlier. But they're all little baby units and tend to die in PVE pretty quick.

What's the best way to level my guys up/farm souls? Also, is there a way to farm specific traitstones, are all those all from gold and glory based chests?

Anyhow, maybe my problem is playing PVE and not just PVP?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
It used to be that the arena was the best place for souls. Perhaps it still can be for low level players. Troops with the necromancy trait are key for outside of the arena, and can be farmed in any battle. Quests, challenges, PVP. Armor is key too. The 500 gems armor add 100/50 to gold or souls.

Valkyrie is critical for farming souls. Her spell, combined with necromancy, lets you earn the maximum amount of souls per battle (60 on normal for me).

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

The more you have Valkyrie leveled, the more souls you are likely to be able to pull from a fight. With the right armour and difficulty, you can pull nearly 80-100 souls a battle. That goes a long way towards solving the issue of leveling other troops. Farm some challenges and other PvE puzzles and get souls. Eventually you'll only be held back by unlocked traits.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
TAVB is really anemic(put the team together finally) compared to Crescendo/Alchemist/Goblin Rocket/Goblin Rocket but drat the souls are nice.. Or maybe I'm just not used to playing the game regularly anymore.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Some person is going to stream themselves opening 10,000 keys after 2.0 goes live. The ratio between gold and glory keys tells me that his guild completes tasks roughly 10-15 times more rapidly than Gem Blossums. Granted, we don't have so many actively contributing members (lots of people are either inactive or still working towards level 10 on their kingdoms), but still. That is a huge difference in activity.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

grrarg you lazy bum, better start pulling your weight.

(I'm one of those still working on kingdoms; it's incredibly slow-going)

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

seravid posted:

(I'm one of those still working on kingdoms; it's incredibly slow-going)
Seconding this. I've got 7? I think maxed out. I still try to contribute if I'm farm8nt a bunch though.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I have everybody at 10 except for a few at 7. The first couple are slow going but the tribute really adds up once you start getting a few more. Very soon I imagine being able to dump 50-100k a week easy in tasks. Until then, not so much.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

seravid posted:

grrarg you lazy bum, better start pulling your weight.
We'll see how it goes in 2.0. Last patch soured me on the game, or rather how long they let some things go without fixing them in the name of getting the PvP revamp out. Arena was broken by the hero class magic bug and then PvP was ruined by Great Maw/Mercy teams. That didn't leave much productive to do.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Is there an explanation of the new PVP system anywhere? Specifically, the screen where you choose your oponent, what do all of these numbers mean? Are they the reward if you win?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but ranking in pvp sucks now. you need 1900 score to get to tier 1. Half my fights so far have been poo poo like this:

I need 1300 more score to get to tier 1, and half my fights give +4 at best.

Captain Redbeard posted:

Is there an explanation of the new PVP system anywhere? Specifically, the screen where you choose your oponent, what do all of these numbers mean? Are they the reward if you win?

For the example above, if I fight the rightmost guy, I win 309 gold, 4 glory, the guild gets 3 cups (rank), and I add 4 to my pvp score. The number above the picture is an approximate score value of his troops. If I don't want to fight any of these losers, I have to spend 5 gems to refresh.

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 26, 2016

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I checked up on the official forum, and it seems their tuning numbers are seriously out of whack and they're working on them. Also currently it's useless to try to get anywhere, because your defence team getting beat up will lose you points way faster than you can gain them. :downs:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
At the very least, log in long enough to put a strong defense team up. Since you can now lose score if your defending team loses, you don't want a single level 1 defending anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, you need 100 points to climb a rank, and the hardest battle gives anywhere from 10 to 20 points as far as I've seen, so where you before needed only 2-3 battles to climb a rank (with win-streak bonus, I don't think there is one in this system?) now you need 5+. That's pretty slow. But if they're working on it, it might improve, who knows. The forums are aflame with salty people complaining.

Anyone have good defense teams they had success with? Right now I'm running:

Treant *** (Working on Knight Coronet to replace him) just for tanking purposes
Sheggra ** (probably just the strongest troop I have)
Boar Rider ***
Goblin Rocket **

I dunno whether this is any stronger than a pure Goblin team, but I think I might barely be in the 50% win rate ballpark.