Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm just hoping it isn't like Xenoblade X, where you can go a few dozen hours between any story stuff happening, and then when it does it's forgettable garbage

So far, it's not quite that bad. But you can definitely spend a lot of time in the field between story beats. Xenoblade X lost me like about 10 hours in, because it just got repetitious and boring. I'm really enjoying my time with XV, though, because it feels much more crafted. It's not the story-driven experience that the older games were, but it's very fresh because it tries some new things. It feels like an evolution of XII, although I think that game did a more able job of delivering a story. Obviously, the world is better constructed and fleshed out in XV though.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Open world games are good

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I spend so much time with non-story stuff when it's good, that I end up running out of time in time limited games and get real depressing endings. EAT poo poo GUST.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

. It feels like an evolution of XII, although I think that game did a more able job of delivering a story.

That's really damning.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

That's really damning.

Or great news. Yay, opinions!

Gotta find someone breaking street date after work...

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

VanillaGorilla posted:

It feels like an evolution of XII

gently caress, there went the last bit of hope I had

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

VanillaGorilla posted:

It feels like an evolution of XII, although I think that game did a more able job of delivering a story.

Um :stare:

Wow, as someone who's never been able to get past Bhujerba before quitting out of boredom, that's done more to put me off than anything else I've seen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Or great news. Yay, opinions!

Gotta find someone breaking street date after work...

Less the "evolution of XII" bit and more the "XII was better at storytelling" bit, because that is one low, low bar to limbo under.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lots of people really like FFXII.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Less the "evolution of XII" bit and more the "XII was better at storytelling" bit, because that is one low, low bar to limbo under.

Yeah. I mean, I liked XII a lot, but more for the gameplay (although I actually liked the overall story, too). For better or worse, XV - again, at least for the first 15h that I've put into it - is a game much more driven by things like combat, world exploration, etc. than narrative drive.

That might be a dealbreaker for some. I do think it's a very good game, so far, though - I'm having a lot of fun with it. I haven't been super invested in the story of a FF game since VII, though, so I'm not too bothered by it being more of a secondary concern here. And I do think that this game will do what Square ultimately needed it to do - get people talking about Final Fantasy again outside of Japan. I have no idea if this will ultimately be a failure because they mismanaged the project and dumped too much money into it, but I can see this probably getting a lot of positive press and I think that if they can take the game-rear end parts of this game and marry it to a decent story, that game would probably be the one to put Final Fantasy back on the map in a very real way.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 25, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
You read that. I read "the game took inspiration from american made games when it comes to open world storytelling".

e: turns out I read right

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lots of people really like FFXII.

I know they do! I was one of them!

But after the 15-hour mark or so the actual plot bits are like increasingly scarce oases in a vast desert of grind.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

But after the 15-hour mark or so the actual plot bits are like increasingly scarce oases in a vast desert of grind.

To clarify - I'm not really grinding anything. And I could have advanced the story much more quickly if I wanted to. There's just a bunch of side stuff available at any given time, so if you're a completionist the pace of the story is going to be much slower.

It's actually like the opposite of grind, because I'm easily 2x the suggested level for the next story quest just from doing side content naturally.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The less Story a final fantasy game has the better IMO

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

To clarify - I'm not really grinding anything. And I could have advanced the story much more quickly if I wanted to. There's just a bunch of side stuff available at any given time, so if you're a completionist the pace of the story is going to be much slower.

It's actually like the opposite of grind, because I'm easily 2x the suggested level for the next story quest just from doing side content naturally.

In any case, if the expected plot structure bears out and all the really story-heavy bits are in the back half, I think that's preferable to XII, which pretty much did things the other way 'round.

There were going to be issues with the game's structure no matter what happened, I think. The final product looks better than expected but it's still basically held together with baling wire and hope.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

FFXV has a really good open world with a ton of things you can learn about it by accident (your party talking about it, hearing it from other npcs, hearing it on the radio) and your characters are always constantly talking. In that sense its a million times better than FXII. Once the game actually hits the "story stride" a little over the half point in the chapters everything moves constantly at breakneck speeds. In that sense, its also better than XII. Albeit YMMV with how you actually feel about the story. You really dont have time to let things sit and simmer anymore. I think thats going to be the make or break point for a lot of people for the game.

Vitamin P posted:

The less Story a final fantasy game has the better IMO

Plot. The less plot a FF has the better, because lets be honest the minutia in it are more often times bad than good. Stories are still important, and I dont think FFXV has a bad story per se from what I've seen.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 25, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I hope FF15 is good and keeps my RPG itch scratched between Pokemon and Persona 5.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

VanillaGorilla posted:

If someone wanted to avoid being overlevelled, would they be missing out on a lot by skipping side content?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ways XII could have been better:

Excise Vaan and Penelo from the game entirely.
Cut out 95% percent of the grinding and reliance on loot drops.
Get rid of that chaining-enemies nonsense.
Give the story an emotional edge instead of relying on boring politicking.
Re-release the game with uncompressed audio.
Give non-JP players the proper game the first time round and don't put in all that treasure chest malarkey.
Streamline the AI system and don't gate Gambit commands behind story thresholds.
Let characters wear a hat without having to fill-in government paperwork (How does Fran wear a hat?).
Give us more non-Aryan, non-human party members (No Nu Mou, No sale).

Holy poo poo I was so poor the entire game I relied on those Evasion-boosting daggers for 80% of the playtime.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 25, 2016

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ways XII could have been better:

-Make it interactive

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think XV will be a good, possibly great game. I also think it's going to be extremely poorly received by the general public but may receive good critical scores. Knowing what happens in it and how the game plays out, I can very easily see it being one of those games which is hated for years before they start looking back, giving it a replay and enjoying the game for what it actually is than what people's preconceived notions of it are before release. Final Fantasy XII is a game I felt similarly about; I absolutely despised the game on my first playthrough but every time I revisit the game or see someone else revisit it I find more and more to appreciate about it to the point I think the IZJS version is a legitimately great game.

XV does a few things pretty differently from how other Final Fantasy games work and already it's rubbed people outside of Something Awful the wrong way and they've declared the game a failure. I can already see the pacing being a big sticking point as the first half is world and character building with the actual story being left in the background, before a turning event makes the story come into full focus and doesn't really give the player time to process everything. I can see the final boss and ending being a point of contention as well for reasons that I'm sure VanillaGorilla and Cao Ni Ma will understand when they get to it, though I personally quite like it.

For a game that is meant to be the last gasp of big budget JRPGs to prove they are still viable the game takes a lot of risks. It doesn't play anything safe.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

If someone wanted to avoid being overlevelled, would they be missing out on a lot by skipping side content?

So far, you'd be missing out on EXP/AP (more on this in a second), a handful of unlocks (particularly chocobo riding/racing), some gear (mostly accessories - rewards from hunts, mostly), lots of items (particularly megalixers, which are super useful), and cosmetic stuff for your car.

A note on overleveling:

So far, and I'm not really doing hard math on this, it's just my experience, level doesn't matter AS MUCH as it has in past games.

So there are two parallel systems at play with regard to leveling. Your actual character level, which has a pretty basic stat progression for each character, gained through XP. Then there's the "Ascension" system, which is kind of like the sphere grid, which you fill in by spending AP. There are several Ascension "boards", including things like Techniques (which are on-demand party combo moves, using a meter you build up through combat - very important, basically takes the place of "magic" in many cases, with craftable magic now serving as artillery, for lack of a better analogy), and stats. The stats board is pretty important - the "spheres" are pretty expensive (99 AP for the most part), but increase the multiplier on your stats (e.g. you now have 5x your level in HP, instead of a lower multiplier). Those spheres provide more of a visceral stat boost than straight up leveling does. There are also Ascension abilities that expand the number of accessories you can equip. All to say, a lot of the Ascension spheres are pretty powerful, and matter just as much as your level. And AP comes much slower than XP.

In addition to Ascensions being a big deal, it's entirely possible to punch above your weight and beat higher level monsters with good play. This is within reason - you can take a regular monster 10-15 levels above you through good use of warps, parries, and techniques. I've beaten a lot of regular hunts this way. If something is like 40 levels above you, though, or it's a higher level "boss" monster (you can tell either from the icon on a hunt, or because it's much bigger than you just out in the world), then you'll probably get wrecked. You can try to chip away at it, but if it does catch you with a punch it will probably knock your teeth out of your rear end in a top hat.

edit: I really think Mr. Fortitude's last point is correct, and important. From what I've played, I think they actually pull off more of the gambles they take than not, and it really is to the game's credit. If they had come out with another XIII, then Final Fantasy would be dead. I think it's really up in the air how this thing actually sells, but I think it has a much better chance of ensuring that there's a Final Fantasy XVI than a more traditional game would have. I think the next big experiment will be the VII remake - I think they're going to take a lot of what this game does with regard to systems, and try it with a more focused and episodic narrative. If the episodic thing works out, that will be what XVI ends up looking like.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 25, 2016

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

So far, it's not quite that bad. But you can definitely spend a lot of time in the field between story beats. Xenoblade X lost me like about 10 hours in, because it just got repetitious and boring. I'm really enjoying my time with XV, though, because it feels much more crafted. It's not the story-driven experience that the older games were, but it's very fresh because it tries some new things. It feels like an evolution of XII, although I think that game did a more able job of delivering a story. Obviously, the world is better constructed and fleshed out in XV though.

I put 310 hours into Xenoblade X so that sounds good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll not stand for this besmirching of XII

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Open world rpg that doesn't have loving level-gated gear is good, god Witcher 3 was good but that poo poo was a huge flaw for me

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I liked the hunts and side quests in XII. Sure it ruined the pacing of the story, and the pacing was terrible to begin with. But fun and challenging battles are more important to me than the story (XII's battle system being fun is totally subjective). I can totally see why people would have a problem with it though. So if XV if kind of the same then I have no problem with that.

What I would like would be if these side quests fleshed out the characters and story a bit more. I think that would be cool. Don't think everyone would be cool with that though.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I liked the hunts and side quests in XII. Sure it ruined the pacing of the story, and the pacing was terrible to begin with. But fun and challenging battles are more important to me than the story (XII's battle system being fun is totally subjective). I can totally see why people would have a problem with it though. So if XV if kind of the same then I have no problem with that.

What I would like would be if these side quests fleshed out the characters and story a bit more. I think that would be cool. Don't think everyone would be cool with that though.

You get some character development in side quests, mostly through the party's banter. I think I mentioned that there's a lot of situational dialogue, and it really shows when you're going through dungeons and each of the bros talks about what's happening. So, you learn more about the characters through their commentary while you're doing stuff, driving or running places, etc. For example there's an ice dungeon early on the main quest line, and the characters react very believably while you work your way through it - Prompto complaining about being cold, Gladio telling him to nut up, it's very well done

No real plot advancement through the side quests yet, though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

VanillaGorilla posted:

A lot of people are comparing this to MGS V, and I kind of agree

It's a good game, but everyone's going to get fired anyway.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

What if you ignore every red-pinkish treasure pickup you see and then in the final area..

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

It's a good game, but everyone's going to get fired anyway.

If you don't get fired for taking 2 console generations to make a Final Fantasy, it'd be weird as poo poo to fire you as soon as your 10 year old finally comes out.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Arist posted:

I'll not stand for this besmirching of XII

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

These guys know what the gently caress is up. FFXII was one of my favorites, it's way better than Final Fantasy X, which is honestly the worst game in the series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lots of judgment demo impressions coming in all of a sudden, basically the biggest problem is that they're under the impression the game is just a one button game because no one told them the demo's on Easy.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If 15 is a 12 that lets me meaningfully push buttons in combat I think I may enjoy it. The boy band/hetero life partners thing is just icing on the Brechtian cake.

The only good Final Fantasy story is that one you played when you were a teenager. Yeah, that one. gently caress the others, right?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Wow, yeah, this game is even more like MGS5 than I thought. Some stuff just feels like it was badly cut together or missing. For example, I just finished Chapt. 4 (big spoilers) which has you face off with and defeat Titan. Pretty nice setpiece/boss fight. But at the end of it, it looks like you're going to get a cool cinematic with him unleashing his summon, and it just kind of.....doesn't happen. Then you get an in-game cinematic where the team is escaping the crater (where I guess Titan just...disappeared? What happened to the giant fuckin' comet he's holding?) and Ardyn shows up offering you a lift. Then....fade to black, a few days later, and the team is at Whiz Chocobo ranch while the Empire has cracked down on Duscae and impounded your car. But they don't deal with the fact that the fuckin' chancellor just had you at his mercy and let you go - at all .

This game has a lot of very brilliant parts, but it's super clear that they had to glue together the story from the wreckage of that long, hosed up development period for Versus XIII. The game is proof that Square can do amazing things with the franchise, but they really need to stop letting crazy auteurs engage in self-indulgence.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 25, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Versus XIII was a vanity project for Nomura after all.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Wow, yeah, this game is even more like MGS5 than I thought. Some stuff just feels like it was badly cut together or missing. For example, I just finished Chapt. 4 (big spoilers) which has you face off with and defeat Titan. Pretty nice setpiece/boss fight. But at the end of it, it looks like you're going to get a cool cinematic with him unleashing his summon, and it just kind of.....doesn't happen. Then you get an in-game cinematic where the team is escaping the crater (where I guess Titan just...disappeared? What happened to the giant fuckin' comet he's holding?) and Ardyn shows up offering you a lift. Then....fade to black, a few days later, and the team is at Whiz Chocobo ranch while the Empire has cracked down on Duscae and impounded your car. But they don't deal with the fact that the fuckin' chancellor just had you at his mercy and let you go - at all .

This game has a lot of very brilliant parts, but it's super clear that they had to glue together the story from the wreckage of that long, hosed up development period for Versus XIII. The game is proof that Square can do amazing things with the franchise, but they really need to stop letting crazy auteurs engage in self-indulgence.

Honestly, if it's as good as MGSV, I'll be pretty happy even if the story is a wreck.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The world calls for boy bands and we answered. No greater good. No just cause.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the framerate rock solid like MGSV though?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

RatHat posted:

Is the framerate rock solid like MGSV though?

I haven't noticed any problems on PS4 Pro, using HDR and High res mode. Seems like a pretty solid 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can guarantee the ending is way better than mgsv and has an actual conclusion, if you want to clear that low bar

• Locked thread