Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean, $10 isn't that much but I can assure you the game is not getting better. At best it's failing sideways in terms of mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
lol it is not, note that the posts of the people who say the game is getting better are followed by 'wtf are the devs doing??????????????' posts less than a week later

this game is bad, has been bad for a long time, and by all indications will continue to be bad. its continued existence is thanks to very good marketing and the skinner box effect.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also a dedicated core community of toxic assholes

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Just watch some of the core streamers playing this game. AngryPug barely contains his toxicity half the time and he's one of the "better" ones :p

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Strontosaurus posted:

So if I bought this game for $10 and already own F13, should I return it? I've only played it once or twice, but that's also true for F13. My friend were super hyped when it was announced but by the time it came out they had moved on. None of them will play DbD, but despite being a Jason fan, I love the lore in DbD. Help

Both games do an extremely bad job of explaining core mechanics, but this can be alleviated somewhat by watching content and reading up. For Dbd in particular if you're looking for horror it will wear off quickly, and if you can tolerate a league of legends style grind to unlock things that are actually good to play with (aka you can put in a lot of time and be ok being gated by that) then it's worth 10bux for sure.

I complain in this thread because there are gripes I have with it, but I've also put in e:700 hours and still play most nights so ymmv. It'll definitely take more than the 2 hours it takes to refund to get to the point where you're playing the game and not wandering around blowing up generators and getting murdered (low rank killer is pretty forgiving).

I dunno, it's an internet game, F13th doesn't really have a lot better community but I think goons insulate that by playing goon games and at least dbd doesn't have voice chat where people can poo poo talk you at every stage.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Eldercain posted:

I dunno, it's an internet game, F13th doesn't really have a lot better community
lol yes it loving does. i have dozens of stories from F13 where total goofballs just decided to be goofballs, or folks decided to just faff around and have fun. there are well documented instances of serious assholes getting banned from the game for dropping slurs, not just from other people reporting but from the fuckholes whining about it on twitter and getting owned when the community manager drops proof. contrast, even on twitch streaming you can see people calling the other players some sort of slur every other game; and i can personally vouch for that being real because i was called at least five flavors of slur in 5 hours of play toward the end of my tolerance with this game. even after using the in-game reporting tool and manually submitting a report with video and screenshot proof on the same person four times, that same moron was still playing and calling me junk not worth repeating both a week and a month after i finally gave up reporting it.

the community is toxic because the developers do not give a gently caress, the same reason the game's mechanics keep getting worse, by your own admission in this thread in the last few pages.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
F13 does have a better community, my only real negative experience so far was being called a trash Jason on my second run by some one with 500 hours, and that's probably because the game is really oriented towards just loving around. There's no survivor/killer split because you can't intentionally choose to be Jason, there's no ranking just XP, and also sometimes the game just breaks. I mean I lost my third shot at being Jason because the match intro glitched out and the camera never left the opening view of the dock. I could move Jason, I just couldn't see anything but this serene placid dock. Upside, I got to run over a survivor as another survivor in a different game because of a Jason related trolley problem and even though I made negative points I didn't care because I saved three people and gently caress am I gonna do with those points I already got backbreaker for Jason.

For all its issues though I still ultimately think DbD is the better game to play a killer in. It's an explicitly competitive games, and that means some people drag their egos into it and you get people being kinda lovely post match whether or not they win or lose, but there's just more variety in how you can be a killer and you can actually choose to be the killer.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 7, 2017

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I've played maybe 10 games of F13? So I don't have the volume but in at least half of them either a child or someone from korea/china is relentlessly shittalking in lobby/into the walkie talkie the entire game. Since the only comms you get in dbd are postgame you can pretty much avoid them entirely.

I will say there are very few opportunities for goofiness in it though, and I have had a game that was all about chad's dance party.

DBD might as well not have a report feature for all the work you have to put into it. If you have problems with certain players though the weirdo monitor lobbying software that people were using to get pings before they were added in game has a blacklist feature, though I don't think I've seen more than garden variety internet toxic saltiness. I will say I don't follow streamers kind of at all so I have no idea what those respective communities are like.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Eldercain posted:

DBD might as well not have a report feature for all the work you have to put into it. If you have problems with certain players though the weirdo monitor lobbying software that people were using to get pings before they were added in game has a blacklist feature, though I don't think I've seen more than garden variety internet toxic saltiness. I will say I don't follow streamers kind of at all so I have no idea what those respective communities are like.

do you consider being called 5 kinds of racial slur in the 15 seconds of post game chat 'garden variety toxic saltiness'

because i call that 'a pretty big problem'

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
For a cheap price I think the game is worth it. It's entertaining to play as both sides, it's a great feeling to finally catch some fucker and even if folks get away at the end I still have fun as a killer. Survivor play is fun in a different way, though I think the experience gets worse as you get better at it. I probably play survivor more overall as I still get a thrill out of hearing that heartbeat as I get to the back end of a gen. It also feels great to really escape a killer, which is damned tough half the time if they're good. The game is nice as a change of pace from the average shooter/moba/rts multiplayer experience. Though to be fair I liked Evolve and I was quite sad to see that one die, so who knows if my opinion on this is worth much.

\/\/\/\/\/ Someone hasn't played any fighting game online \/\/\/\/\/\/

TGG fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DbD definitely has the worst community I've ever seen and I've played Overwatch and Siege.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Someone hasn't played League of Legends.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Terrible Opinions posted:

Someone hasn't played League of Legends.

Dbd def has a bad community but at least they can only be assholes for 10s instead of a 45 minute slog.

That said when some idiot takes bond and object of obsession and just follows you around bringing the killer to you it sucks, but i've had maybe 3 games like that total?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I actually haven't had any lovely players in awhile. I'm around rank 10 or so currently, so I guess that's where all the chill people are at.

It's not like the lobbies last long enough for people to say anything. Whenever I'm not the killer, the lobby insta-closes when the game ends.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Eldercain posted:

Dbd def has a bad community but at least they can only be assholes for 10s instead of a 45 minute slog.

That said when some idiot takes bond and object of obsession and just follows you around bringing the killer to you it sucks, but i've had maybe 3 games like that total?

I had a group of body-blocking, hook sabotaging survivors like that the other night. Now, a group of survivors I never see is just boring, but these guys were teabagging, taunting, just being real dicks.

When down to 1 generator they picked the one in my Killer Shack, taking turns juking out windows and creeping in behind to repair the second I turned around. It was a really frustrating experience, I tell you. Toxic.

Then one of them hesitated a little too long and I snatched Meg off the window....then Jake juked right into the trap I put in the basement, and I got Feng when she was trying to Meg off the hook. Dwight got downed right at the exit gate, and by then a hook had respawned.

Justice was done.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LeJackal posted:

I had a group of body-blocking, hook sabotaging survivors like that the other night. Now, a group of survivors I never see is just boring, but these guys were teabagging, taunting, just being real dicks.

When down to 1 generator they picked the one in my Killer Shack, taking turns juking out windows and creeping in behind to repair the second I turned around. It was a really frustrating experience, I tell you. Toxic.

Then one of them hesitated a little too long and I snatched Meg off the window....then Jake juked right into the trap I put in the basement, and I got Feng when she was trying to Meg off the hook. Dwight got downed right at the exit gate, and by then a hook had respawned.

Justice was done.

And then those guys went to the forums to rage about how OP killers are and how it doesn't matter what you do as a survivor, you still die.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

LeJackal posted:

I mostly play SWF and none of us do that poo poo so I honestly don't have a good gauge on how common that is. I will say, I see people complain about body-blocking a lot but isn't that just a way to trade your resources as survivors (health states = time spent healing and not doing gens)? I've never understood the complaint against it as a tactic since health and number of hooks are the only trading cards survivors have to stall killers.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

And then those guys went to the forums to rage about how OP killers are and how it doesn't matter what you do as a survivor, you still die.

If you've ever been to the forums it's 90-95% killers complaining about survivor poo poo. The forums are completely awful for a lot of reasons but it's mostly killer whining.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Eldercain posted:

I mostly play SWF and none of us do that poo poo so I honestly don't have a good gauge on how common that is. I will say, I see people complain about body-blocking a lot but isn't that just a way to trade your resources as survivors (health states = time spent healing and not doing gens)? I've never understood the complaint against it as a tactic since health and number of hooks are the only trading cards survivors have to stall killers.

It's not every game, but it's not rare or anything. The only upside is those kinds of groups can get so wrapped up in it they start making really stupid mistakes leading to full wipes. After which they'll almost certainly whine in chat about it.

As for body blocking, the issue is that killers don't often have that much time to get you to a hook. If some one runs in your way you have to hit them which slows you way down, and if you're not close to a hook that can regularly be enough time for the person to hop off your shoulder and basically erase that chase. Plus a killer really can't see a crouching survivor that's right in front of them, so it can take a bit to even realize there's a survivor in your way. It's a no risk and almost no cost way to ruin the results of a good chase, and one of the major reasons Agitation and/or Iron Grasp is so important for killers. Deerstalker too, albeit to a lesser extent.

That and it's just thematically dumb that you're a big bad mega killer except you get tripped up by what amounts to a prank. edit: Also they patched in the ability for survivors to unhook from any angle, so killers can't bodyblock a hook any more, but unless there's a recent patch I missed survivors can still physically block a killer from hooking some one.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 13, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Eldercain posted:

If you've ever been to the forums it's 90-95% killers complaining about survivor poo poo. The forums are completely awful for a lot of reasons but it's mostly killer whining.

I've been to the forums since the game came out. That may be the case at the moment (I doubt it, it sounds like something a survivor player would say), but it's absolutely not true for most of the rest of the game's history. Killers and survivors have been whinging in nigh-equal toxicity since before the game was released, even.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I always feel that most of the game's issues come down to survive with friends and like 2 or 3 perks. Doing something with stuff like self-care would fix quite a bit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's what they said about NOED and Saboteur.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

well, the problem there was that they kept changing the world around the perk, rather than just the perk

fixing sabo would have been easy: each survivor can take down 1 hook during the entire trial. done. there's 9 hooks that spawn per map (not including the 4 in the killer's basement, and absent any offerings) so a team of 4 survivors working together can take out ~half of the killer's hooks and create a safe-ish spot in the map, without completely depopulating the map and making iron grasp totally required. killer's problem is solved. survivor blood point meta problem is solved. world keeps on turning. turns out this is too harsh and nobody uses sabo anymore? okay, fine, 2 hooks. can become a problem for the killer if literally all the survivors show up to sabo but still solves 95% of the cases.

instead it took them literally 6 iterations of various changes before they finally settled on the current loving weird solution of having used or sabo'd hooks regenerate after like 3 minutes or something, which is completely incomprehensible and makes both sides of the equation feel helpless at different intervals.

NOED actually had perk changes but they were equally stupid. 2 minute duration on it was ridiculous because the entire game lasts 7-8, 2 minutes after the exit gates are powered was no change at all. then it got made a hex perk, which was a perfect storm of the world changing around the perk and the perk changing - all to make the perk itself even more arbitrary and dumb for both sides.

the same story's been told with a half dozen other perks though. bloodlust was introduced explicitly (as in they confirmed this on a dev stream) because sprint burst was considered too powerful. nevermind all the people that don't run sprint burst.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 13, 2017

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've been to the forums since the game came out. That may be the case at the moment (I doubt it, it sounds like something a survivor player would say), but it's absolutely not true for most of the rest of the game's history. Killers and survivors have been whinging in nigh-equal toxicity since before the game was released, even.

It's this. The forums for DbD are always overwhelmingly toxic, because no one ever wants to lose, if they do it's obviously because such-and-such is OP, never that they got outplayed, etc. I mean, there has been some broken stuff in the game, and there still is, but overall I've been fairly happy with the balance the game has, which is pretty impressive considering how many killers and perks there are. Of course, having said that, I also have some major complaints and think the Devs, while they do things pretty good, I think they keep glossing over a major problem at the core of the game, or when it's addressed it's always very sloppily bandaged that either just promotes bad play, or doesn't change anything in the long run.

The problem at the core of DbD is Risk vs Reward. This was always a problem, but it swung massively with the Victory Cube update. Before that, I was actually pretty content as a Killer because it didn't matter much (in terms of reward) if I got a lot of kills or not, I'd get plenty during a few good chases and whatnot. 'Course, the problem then was that I didn't have a massive incentive to get kills, which sort of ruins the point of being a Killer. Not to say I didn't try, but I didn't stress it if I didn't get a kill, so playing at Rank 1 wasn't a big deal. The Cube changed that, now I have to get points by killing. And that's good. Except it isn't great, especially not for Survivors, or at higher rank play. It now encourages a much more cautious, secure-my-kills, playstyle. I never liked that, I was always happier to just hook someone and walk away to keep up map presence, find others to hunt, etc. And a lot of other Killers responded with heavy camping, hard patrols, etc. Now there isn't much incentive to NOT play like a dick, which I think is a problem. Maybe I'm just too care bear about it, but I'd like to think everyone is having fun, and I know a Survivor that gets camped/tunneled isn't having much fun, and I know I'm not either when I stand there watching 3 gens pop while I wait for this guy to die. There's no Risk, but the reward in terms of points and rank is too high. I keep thinking the Cube needs a sliding scale that would actually promote Killers to not camp, instead of just giving Survivors more ways to get around a camp and hopefully get a save. Like, an extra point for ever time you hook the same survivor or something. Suddenly Killers have a reason to not camp.

And of course, theres the same problem with Survivors and looping, bodyblocking, ect. I'd like to see more reward given for them successfully evading a Killer, instead of depending on running a circle around a couple pallets forever. And some of the same problems Coolguye pointed out about the sabo perk: Survivors should have more ways to prevent their death than just running laps or decisive strike. No more infinite junglegyms, but y'know, something. I like Sabo in concept, a smart team could take down a number of hooks in a section of the map to make the Killer have to work harder to get the hook, and give more chances to the other survivors to save their teammate if they wish. Maybe a perk that could let them 'scrub' the sprint marks for a few seconds, giving them a better chance to hide after breaking line of sight with the Killer. Again I think a sliding scale idea would be good here too, if you've been hooked, more points for doing 'brave' actions and successfully losing the Killer for example. I don't know, I'll be honest I mostly play Killer so I mostly see it from the Killer side.

But those are just random ideas and thoughts, whatever. Sorry for the babbling, I was bored at work and was reading the Steam forums and got all annoyed at the overwhelming salt and whinging, so felt like writing something about one of my favorite games.

Also, when the hell is my Wraith rework coming? I love my Trapper and Huntress, but I do miss that cheerful bell-ringing bastard.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sporkie posted:

Also, when the hell is my Wraith rework coming? I love my Trapper and Huntress, but I do miss that cheerful bell-ringing bastard.

They are busy pre nerfing him before the patch is released.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
I've been playing this game since it came out. The problem with the old pip system for killers was that it was impossible to not end up rank 1 if you played enough games. You ended up rank 1 without the skill level needed to stand a chance againts rank 1 survivors (for me anyway cause I suck) and then you were stuck like this unless you disconnected many times to tank your ranking or waited until the rank reset.

The new pip system allows you to settle into the rank your skill level allows : if you tend to wipe teams of lower skilled survivors, your rank will increase in consequence.

Survivors were already a bit like this as its harder to rank up as survivor.

I do agree that the focus on hooking and killing survivors for the pip system seem to promote face camping to secure your kills but I'm not sure how else they could do this without tearing out the whole ranking system and starting over from scratch.

Also I feel like their current bloodpoint reward system was fine for when we had 4-5 killers and survivors, now it's a real grind fest with so many teachable perks. (And don't remind me that it used to be so much worse before the bloodweb rework).

You could do alot worse for that price. And having played both DBD and F13, i seem to keep coming back to DBD.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sporkie posted:

Phil will never be allowed to be good unfortunately.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Sporkie posted:

I'd like to see more reward given for them successfully evading a Killer, instead of depending on running a circle around a couple pallets forever.

See, I think that's part of the problem. The reward for successfully evading the killer is extremely good - you get the opportunity to easily heal up and effectively negate the only penalties for that chase. Survivor team got to keep doing generators and pushing their goal, and the killer just completely wasted time and made zero progress towards killing anyone. Giving survivors more ways to escape needs to be paired with giving killers more of a reason to value the chase itself, like some sort of attrition mechanic or some kind of buff, or by making survivors easier to find, which I don't know how they'd make that easier than it is. I think they have a good idea going with Play With Your Food. If they added a base mechanic similar to Play With Your Food, giving killers a boost every time they hit a survivor but fail to catch them, I think that'd be a good way to let them give survivors more ways to escape a chase. They could also then dial back bloodlust so it's a way to shut down long chases instead of just the normal thing that happens in any chase.

It's one of the things F13 does do right for killers, the chase is entirely the point and even if some one gets away you've left their character more terrified and likely injured. They'll be easier to find again and they'll need to spend precious resources negating the damage.

Sporkie posted:

I think it's supposed to be after a small Leatherface rework.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 13, 2017

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I get the killers are supposed to be scary terries or whatever, but wrt bodyblocking you have to understand that survivors are essentially giving up time to get to you, time to heal, and a chance that it might not matter at all to add 2 seconds to a wiggle. I think it's fine and fits with the theme of "do you help someone else with your sacrifice or leave them while you escape" they cultivated around survivor play. Gameplaywise the hell else are you going to do? And worst case if you've been breaking pallets how far are they realistically going to get? I want to be clear I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this one, I just legit don't understand why killers have beef with it.

Sporkie posted:

It's this. The forums for DbD are always overwhelmingly toxic, because no one ever wants to lose,

This was always a problem, but it swung massively with the Victory Cube update.

Maybe a perk that could let them 'scrub' the sprint marks for a few seconds, giving them a better chance to hide after breaking line of sight with the Killer.

The nobody wants to lose thing is so very, very true. It's why people whine constantly about the hatch because by god they DESERVE to 4k and anything less is horseshit, nevermind that sometimes as a survivor all you can do is hold out hope that you can pop 2 gens and find the drat thing when the rest of your team is pulling each other for points right after a hook or playing 3 man flashlight footsie (which is frustrating, but such a bad plan), and it's why survivors complain about stupid poo poo like noed (maybe take note of where some dull totems are against trapper/wraith/freddy there friend).

The last perk you described is lightweight, and I run it + iron will in about 90% of my games and it's AMAZING. You can sprint everywhere and it turns every pallet stun/break into an opportunity for a juke instead of just looking for another one. I honestly don't know why more people don't run it given how bad news it is to be caught in the first place.

Cyberdud posted:

I've been playing this game since it came out. The problem with the old pip system for killers was that it was impossible to not end up rank 1 if you played enough games. You ended up rank 1 without the skill level needed to stand a chance againts rank 1 survivors (for me anyway cause I suck) and then you were stuck like this unless you disconnected many times to tank your ranking or waited until the rank reset.

I mean, there was an easy solution there, and it's what they did to almost every survivor scoring event: just tune the bloodpoints down. Instead they ramped them way up and if the killer isn't the highest BP in the game even in a 4 survivor escape they played very, very wrong. I also am good enough now that entropy drags me up to rank 1, and most games they're 5-8k bloodpoints ahead of the highest scoring survivor, and that's not counting the doubling that bbq gives. The exceptions are straight facecampers and the occasional person obviously doing a quest who gets styled on.

TGLT posted:

See, I think that's part of the problem. The reward for successfully evading the killer is extremely good - you get the opportunity to easily heal up and effectively negate the only penalties for that chase. Su

This is true in the metagame but not in actual incentives. I've played keep away from killers before and essentially made them waste tons of time (usually by booping a gen they keep kicking and then hiding well), but if i'm not in a chase throwing pallets I'll end up with scoring events like Bold - 24. I've singlehandedly won games by loving with someone who just really couldn't let that one gen go or who was always on the verge of finding me and de-pipped because stealth straight up isn't rewarded.

Nowadays I run borrowed time, I sit on gens until they definitely see me and sprint burst away, I loop and I try to juke after a bit of a chase because the game only gives you points if you're found or if you're never anywhere near the guy. So you do gens until the second you absolutely have to leave, and if he chases your buddy on the gen with you just get right back on as they run around in the background. And when he catches him, it's not like hiding did you any good because they're either going to camp him or they have bbq because why wouldn't you so all the hiding in the world does essentially nothing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the idea that the killer absolutely must hook and sacrifice all the survivors to rank up and be considered a good killer is also 100% at odds with their stated vision at the start of the game's life cycle, fyi :newlol:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Eldercain posted:

I get the killers are supposed to be scary terries or whatever, but wrt bodyblocking you have to understand that survivors are essentially giving up time to get to you, time to heal, and a chance that it might not matter at all to add 2 seconds to a wiggle. I think it's fine and fits with the theme of "do you help someone else with your sacrifice or leave them while you escape" they cultivated around survivor play. Gameplaywise the hell else are you going to do? And worst case if you've been breaking pallets how far are they realistically going to get? I want to be clear I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this one, I just legit don't understand why killers have beef with it.

It only takes about 16 seconds to wiggle off a killer's shoulder without iron grasp and 18 with, and the recovery speed from a successful attack even while carrying some one is fairly long. I think it's longer than two seconds but I could be wrong. And that's assuming you immediately realize there's some one below your field of view. You already need to book it for a hook if you aren't right next to one, so even a few seconds is a real issue since it's already possible to pick up a survivor and not be able to get them to a hook even without bodyblocking. As for time, survivors don't have a hard or soft time limit. Killers need to get their poo poo done before generators get finished, that's really not the case for survivors.

Eldercain posted:

This is true in the metagame but not in actual incentives. I've played keep away from killers before and essentially made them waste tons of time (usually by booping a gen they keep kicking and then hiding well), but if i'm not in a chase throwing pallets I'll end up with scoring events like Bold - 24. I've singlehandedly won games by loving with someone who just really couldn't let that one gen go or who was always on the verge of finding me and de-pipped because stealth straight up isn't rewarded.

I'm not talking about stealth, I'm specifically talking about those long distracting chases that get you, as a killer, nowhere. Although there is definitely an issue where survivors have to work as a team to survive but are graded on individual performance kind of irrespective of that. Like unhooking points should really only come if the person you popped off a hook actually gets away, not just "you did a thing." edit: As for BP for stealth, it might not be a bad idea for them to give you points for spending time after X seconds in a killer's terror radius outside of a chase.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 13, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TGLT posted:

Like unhooking points should really only come if the person you popped off a hook actually gets away, not just "you did a thing."

All the ~survivormains~ would pitch a massive shitfit if they weren't allowed to farm their allies anymore.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

All the ~survivormains~ would pitch a massive shitfit if they weren't allowed to farm their allies anymore.

I mean I'm not a survivor main, but when I do play survivor I know getting unhooked right in front of the killer is the most frustrating poo poo.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Eldercain posted:

It's really, really stupid thematically. Imagine Leatherface hauling off some idiot college kid back to his chicken bone lined house only for some other idiot college kid to just run up and put a hand on his chest and go 'OH, NO YOU DON'T,' and Leatherface just stops for a minute. And then the other two college kids do it, too, enough that the first one breaks free and then all run off in different directions calling him a human being. It also just doesn't feel like it was an intended feature of the game and is a side effect of collision and such, which is also ridiculous since you'd think Leatherface or any of the other retard strength killers would just shove them aside or whallop in the face with a cattle prod. With the ability to heal and still work towards the survivor goal even while injured, there is just so little risk to bodyblocking for the survivors.

DbD honestly feels more like a bunch of rich kid thrill seekers who have some murderous psychopath locked up for their entertainment to try and escape from. Sign a waiver, go in, gently caress with a giant woman with a rabbit mask and a love of throwing axes at other human beings for ten minutes, good times for all (except rabbit lady.)

The game, to me, really suffers thanks to the hooking mechanic being the sole means of killing people for every single killer. It should be a higher value option, a risk vs reward trade off, and not the SOLE means of achieving your goal. I don't know why they focus so much on the chase and why people find the chase even remotely interesting when there is absolutely no pay off for it. I think F13 has it a lot better with the ability to execute people, where certain executions pay off more versus the quick 'discard the idiot' ones don't do as much, while the counselors can fight back by jabbing Jason in the neck with a pocket knife or otherwise beat him about the head and neck with two by fours or shoot him with a shotgun to actually slow him down.

I just really don't know what sort of theme DbD is really going for.

e: Also yes, I have had someone unhook me right in front of a killer and it's just.. what?

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 13, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

John Dyne posted:

I just really don't know what sort of theme DbD is really going for.

The jackwagons running the game don't either.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Killers hate bodyblocking because you are supposed to be afraid of the killer, not literally run up to them and wedge yourself in their path until they swat you away. That would never happen in any horror movie, ever. How is that scary?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you see, the game isn't supposed to be scary. it's a competitive game, and therefore

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Killers hate bodyblocking because you are supposed to be afraid of the killer, not literally run up to them and wedge yourself in their path until they swat you away. That would never happen in any horror movie, ever. How is that scary?

It's less Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre and more Scary Movie and Scooby Doo poo poo. What's next? Perks to yank the killer's pants down? Disguising yourself as a very pretty woman to make the killer give you flowers when he attacks rather than bury an axe in your face?

I mean, I can't lie, I'd play the gently caress out of something like that, but this game can't make up its loving mind on what it wants to be.

e: Also lmao at this being in the OP over a loving year ago.

quote:

-Killer is a little underpowered right now. Survivors can rescue and heal each other very quickly. Sometimes they can juke you indefinitely unless you're very crafty. Learn when to let someone go.
Fresh Shesh Besh hosed around with this message at Jul 21, 2016 around 12:44

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The thing is that literally no killer wants to play just to get jerked around by smug survivors. That's not fun in any way, and getting ganged up on by people who are SUPPOSED to be afraid of you because they can't hurt you and you're there to kill them (except now you can't hurt them either) completely shatters the draw of being a killer. This issue was at the heart of the long survivor queues that plagued the game for so long and bodyblocking really exemplifies it. Survivors do it because they know you can't punish it, which is kinda emasculating considering you're supposed to be playing a terrifying murderer.

Of course, there are counters to it. You can just drop the guy on the floor since it takes much longer to heal them than unhook them, and survivors will bitch like CRAZY about you not putting them on the hook (so they can be rescued as soon as you turn your back), whining like entitled little children about you not playing the game right. God FORBID you loom around their body, either, and turn it into a situation where THEY can't do anything to save them. They will froth at the goddamn mouth. It's well worth the lost sacrifice points.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
In spite of the complaints I reinstalled this game and played a few rounds as survivor and loving lol I forgot survivors could heal each other without even having med-kits or whatever. The game went on for like 15 - 20 minutes and we won in spite all of us having been hooked at least twice. I watched someone bodyblock the killer when he had me and dude had to look straight down to realize he was being blocked. Soon as the stain went downwards the other survivor just sprinted off in the other direction. I was able to wiggle free and run off and vault over something and get healed by some other idiot. This repeated ad nauseum, with one or two of us on generators while the others kited the killer.

There were times he had two, maybe three of us down and since he could only tend to one at a time one of us could just sprint over and heal the two who were downed. Especially if we weren't downed right by a hook. And if we got away, by God, we got healed right the gently caress up by each other. This was without discord or anything, it's just.. how the game is. Last I tried to play survivor was months ago when the queues were enormous.

By the end of it the killer just started camping, but he turned to look towards a nearby generator and I could tell he was debating going after it, so I ran up behind him, unhooked the guy he had hooked, and we both ran off.

I really, really can't imagine the guy playing the killer had a lick of fun that entire loving game. I had 0 perks or items and I still got like 16k loving blood points and the killer got maybe a grand? And all I did was fix generators and unhook people and heal people.

Side note, I forgot that healing sometimes has a skill check and since I wasn't expecting it I failed it and the loving 'ARGH' and blood squirt sound effect is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Did F13 ever fix the problem with shift grabbing being aggressively unfun? I have not played since the beta.

• Locked thread