Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Random "I'm writing the update right now" thought: A simple anagram of "Salyu" is "slay u".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Door into Summer: 09/09/2030, 21:34

Salyu's voice echoed through her room.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

She was counting pushups.

Salyu finished her training and took a deep breath.

Phew...

Salyu thought to herself as she wiped off her sweat.

(Exercise is good... If I move my body until it gets sore, it takes my mind off of unnecessary thoughts and I can really feel the results.)

She finally became able to use the extensive physical techniques that had been written onto her brain. That said, she couldn't practice gymnastics or track-and-field techniques in the room. Salyu's favorites were things like simple muscle training and martial arts. The ''kata'' training methods in Japanese martial arts were particularly suitable for her needs since they allowed for the honing of one's combat skills even in the absence of a partner. She imagined enemies in front of her to fight. She had already fought countless times with these shadows. Recently, she had been fighting several of these enemies in quick succession. She could really feel herself getting stronger.

(... Though of course, it's all meaningless in the end.)

But as she was shut off from the world-- Salyu had no proof of her own existence aside from animalistic responses like growth and fatigue. Training. Reading. Those two things had become Salyu's entire life. Salyu took a shower in the bathroom her room was furnished with. There was nothing for her to do afterwards. Just sleep. She changed into her sleepwear and crawled into bed.

(... The professor didn't come today either.)

The professor had made it a habit to come up with some sort of reason to go see Salyu each day. But these last few days, even that had come to a halt.

(Is she busy seeing other test subjects...?)

The more she thought about it, the more frightened she became. She tried to stop thinking, but she still had a hard time going to sleep. Salyu shut her eyes in the darkness, but--

?

She almost feared that morning had come before she had fallen asleep.

Yui, are you awake!?
Professor?

The professor rarely visited at this hour. Confused, Salyu got up from the bed.

I'm awake. What is it?
Yui, what if I told you I could get you out of here?
--Huh?

Salyu gasped at the professor's words.

...What makes you say that all of a sudden?
I finally gained permission. Let's come to a decision now before the top brass changes their mind.
...Lies! There's no way that's possible!

Salyu was shaken up by those unexpected words. But the professor spoke clearly.

You're right. The upper brass naturally didn't approve of you leaving LABO.
Understandable. If I spoke of LABO's internal state, it could jeopardize the facility's administration.
So that's why I came up with one condition-- 'We will fabricate Yui's memory and erase all her memories relating to the true state of LABO.' In exchange, you will be set free... That was the definite promise we agreed on.
!

Salyu was surprised for a second-- but when she thought about it, her continued existence in LABO had long since lost its meaning. After losing her role as a test subject, Salyu had apparently already been treated as ''discarded''. And as long as she had lost her memories of the facility, then even LABO would benefit from getting her out of there.

...Yui, answer me honestly. Do you want to leave here and be free?

--Salyu did not understand why she answered the way she did at the time. Before this moment, not once had she ever held that hope, and yet--

...I do.

Salyu declared with distinct clarity. That was the first decision she had ever made for herself in her 13 years of life. She chose her own future.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

Well said, Yui... I'll grant you freedom, as well as a new role.

Another test subject will be performing the memory manipulation.
Another test subject...? Subject Y-II?

The professor nodded. Salyu hadn't seen Subject Y-II's face, but she had heard of her designation. There was a Communicator called Subject Y-II in the room next to Salyu's. The professor took Salyu to that room-- and opened the door.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Nice to meet you, Yui.
You're...
I'm Yuuri. Yuuri Kotono.
She's the Communicator who will be performing the memory manipulation.
It's a pity that we'll have to say goodbye as soon as we're done, and you'll forget your memory of me... But I won't forget you.
...I'm sorry.

Salyu frantically tried to decipher Yuuri's feelings as she gave that answer. Salyu would be set free; Yuuri would stay confined. That was unfair. So Salyu thought that Yuuri might be sad, but--

No need to apologize, okay? I'm really happy. Because I can set you free with my power.

Why was she happy? Was she lying or telling the truth? Salyu had no idea. But from the bottom of her heart, Salyu wished for those words to be true. Soon, the professor took medicine out of her pocket.

...Yui, take this medicine.
What's this?
It's a powerful sleep medication LABO often uses. Take this and everything will be over while you're asleep. Once you wake up, you'll be living in the outside world as my distant relative. A legal identity has been prepared for you under the name of Louise Yui Sannomiya, a half-Japanese, half-French girl.
Sannomiya...?
Sannomiya is my maiden name. Louise-- is a name that means 'renowned warrior'.

Tips posted:

TIP: Louise
Category: Includes fiction

Louise is a French girl's name, the feminine form of the masculine Louis. Since it had many kings by the name of Louis, the House of Bourbon is sometimes called the ''Louis Dynasty'', and likewise, Louis (and Louise) are often used as noble names. The origin of the name is often seen to stem from the 8th-11th century Old High German name Hludowig, which in turn is thought to have come from the Norse god of war, Odin, and means ''renowned warrior''. Thus, the derivative name Louis (and Louise) means something similar to ''noble warrior'' as well.

Due to Salyu's unique upbringing, she was confined in LABO before she was even born. Perhaps Miyoko wished that even an isolated girl like Salyu could one day live her life with her chin up in pride.

Hmm... Not bad.

The professor handed Salyu the medicine. After a moment's hesitation, Salyu swallowed it. It didn't take long before her head began to go hazy.

Yui, lie down on my bed.
O... okay.

Salyu plopped onto the bed as told. She heard the professor and Yuuri speaking.

Thirteen years of memory is no trifling matter, I understand...
I'll try.

That voice faded into the distance. Salyu strained her eyes in an attempt to see Yuuri's face clearly one last time, but-- --her eyelids shut against her will.

Good night, Yui. Your real life begins tomorrow...

Salyu smiled faintly at those words-- --and then she fell into a deep sleep.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Now now, Miyoko is... definitely not deserving of much of the sympathy this game is giving her. But, even ignoring the whole "blackmail with your son" thing LABO is doing, it seems pretty clear that LABO engineered Eishi's 'accident' and wouldn't have a problem doing the exact same again. It's easy to be a hero like Ukita or Watase when the only thing you risk is your own life. Miyoko has not just her own life to worry about, but Natsuhiko's, Yuuri's, Salyu's, hell for all we know she's the reason Mashiro hasn't been abducted by a black helicopter before the game. I'm not saying she's a saint, I'm just trying to moderate the hate going on here.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 11, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...Natsuhiko doesn't recognize his own mom's maiden name? I guess he must not have very active or existent relatives.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Glazius posted:

...Natsuhiko doesn't recognize his own mom's maiden name? I guess he must not have very active or existent relatives.

Haven't gone looking for the quote, but he does recognise the name (or at least has it explained to him) and believes Salyu is a relative from his mothers side initially.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
You know what? Fine. Let's hear your plans for what you'd do to combat what's effectively constant persecution of a minority, to the point of things like the Andresy Witch Hunt. Oh, and add in the constant intervention of a civilian group which has shown they're willing to force entry into buildings (and later bomb them) in order to persecute said minority. Oh, and if you leave that minority unchecked, there's a chance they can cause arsons and murders simply by existing.

Since you seem to think the entire original concept of MEXT and LABO is completely flawed, let's hear your solution to every problem. While we're on that subject, let's also say that they can't interact with any test subject in any positive fashion, given you seem to think that Alice's romance was forced. And they're not allowed to hide their identities in any fashion - those must be made public.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

k'.
1) First, you build your facility in secret somewhere in a rural area. You don't put it in the middle of a city, you're essentially a cross between a mental institution and a witness protection program. So build it there, make a nice security perimeter, spread information that this is a mental hospital. LABO did this part right and I have no idea why MEXT did not since apparently we're dealing with professional agents. Getting your VIP away from a potential flashpoint and to safety is pretty standard stuff. MEXT instead decided to stay in one place until poo poo really hit the fan.
2) No loving experiments. Should be self-explanatory
3) Have a plan B.
4) Don't leave a paper trail
5) Make sure your communicators have some interaction with people besides the employees.

'Course this assumes the government was willing to play ball. If they don't well poo poo, that sucks. But then let's stop pretending there is some moral high ground to be found here, these people were just following orders but they felt really bad about it guys so that makes it better

quote:

While we're on that subject, let's also say that they can't interact with any test subject in any positive fashion, given you seem to think that Alice's romance was forced.

It wasn't forced per se, it sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome to me. There's a fine line between being friendly (which MEXT did and was good) and romantic involvement (nope nope nope nope nope). Like I know Azumi's heart was probably in the right place, especially given how much the story wants to emphasize self-sacrificial love, but historically these power dynamics didn't end well. Even in the best of circumstances we're talking about a woman who was isolated and half lost her mind getting involved with a researcher who was charged with taking care of her. It's not a good look.

quote:

And they're not allowed to hide their identities in any fashion - those must be made public.

6) Give them a new name and identity. They're people, they need names not barcodes. What MEXT and LABO did was dehumanizing as gently caress and belies their priorities.

quote:

Let's hear your plans for what you'd do to combat what's effectively constant persecution of a minority, to the point of things like the Andresy Witch Hunt.

What do you mean "to the point"? That wasn't a serious incident at all. Some yokels got drunk on moonshine and Jesus and set fire to a few places. It's tragic, certainly traumatizing for Alice, but hardly the Aum Shinrikyu attacks. Even though it's pretty obvious they were the inspiration for Alice's sect.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You seem to be rather passionately defending groups that everyone else in the thread seemingly agrees are bad, while, as I recall, also being the only one of us that's played the game past this point. :raise:

Do you know something about them that we don't that's colouring your opinion, and if so don't you think you should then be keeping it to your self?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AlphaKretin posted:

You seem to be rather passionately defending groups that everyone else in the thread seemingly agrees are bad, while, as I recall, also being the only one of us that's played the game past this point. :raise:

Do you know something about them that we don't that's colouring your opinion, and if so don't you think you should then be keeping it to your self?

I mean, it's not like Cyouni could answer that question either way, since either answer is telling. And if the answer were "yes" and Cyouni would be keeping it to themselves, then the sudden radio silence would be just as telling an answer.

I'll just say that Cyouni is doing what I would be doing if I had the will to argue. Because everybody else seems to agree on the version of events that states that LABO is the greatest evil, Miyoko is a monster and Q has a point, at least somebody should be attempting to show a contrary viewpoint, even if it's just devil's advocating.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

k'.
1) First, you build your facility in secret somewhere in a rural area. You don't put it in the middle of a city, you're essentially a cross between a mental institution and a witness protection program. So build it there, make a nice security perimeter, spread information that this is a mental hospital. LABO did this part right and I have no idea why MEXT did not since apparently we're dealing with professional agents. Getting your VIP away from a potential flashpoint and to safety is pretty standard stuff. MEXT instead decided to stay in one place until poo poo really hit the fan.
2) No loving experiments. Should be self-explanatory
3) Have a plan B.
4) Don't leave a paper trail
5) Make sure your communicators have some interaction with people besides the employees.

'Course this assumes the government was willing to play ball. If they don't well poo poo, that sucks. But then let's stop pretending there is some moral high ground to be found here, these people were just following orders but they felt really bad about it guys so that makes it better
There are an average of 166 thousand Communicators in the world, and projections state that 6 thousand of them are Japanese. You're essentially suggesting lock 6 thousand people somewhere rural. And you want them to voluntarily walk into this. And if you want to pretend it's a mental hospital, good luck getting non-employees to visit 6 thousand people without anyone ever being tipped off.

Do you not see the problems with that? You're completely forgetting about the rest of Rokumei City in this design of yours, all of whom were actually fine with experiments as part of joining one of these government-designated cities. That's the whole point of the city and the other five like it - to serve as a safe haven for Communicators in general. Alice was basically the first case ever, which didn't anticipate things like the Anti-BC League actually inside Rokumei City, which is why LABO and its defenses (not to mention the full lockdown of Rokumei City) were later developed. All things covered in Ena's absurdly long briefings.

SSNeoman posted:

It wasn't forced per se, it sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome to me. There's a fine line between being friendly (which MEXT did and was good) and romantic involvement (nope nope nope nope nope). Like I know Azumi's heart was probably in the right place, especially given how much the story wants to emphasize self-sacrificial love, but historically these power dynamics didn't end well. Even in the best of circumstances we're talking about a woman who was isolated and half lost her mind getting involved with a researcher who was charged with taking care of her. It's not a good look.
Isolated and lost her family, sure. Half lost her mind...significantly less so. The incidents that prompted her N-ification were pretty obviously the Anti-BC League, as can be easily determined by simply looking at the timeline, and that was after they started getting involved with each other.

SSNeoman posted:

6) Give them a new name and identity. They're people, they need names not barcodes. What MEXT and LABO did was dehumanizing as gently caress and belies their priorities.
I'm mildly curious if you actually know that things like Boy A/Girl A are the standard Japanese method for hiding names that they don't want to be revealed, typically juvenile offenders. It makes complete sense that's how they'd be referred to in official documents if you wanted to hide their past.

SSNeoman posted:

What do you mean "to the point"? That wasn't a serious incident at all. Some yokels got drunk on moonshine and Jesus and set fire to a few places. It's tragic, certainly traumatizing for Alice, but hardly the Aum Shinrikyu attacks. Even though it's pretty obvious they were the inspiration for Alice's sect.
Uh...it's specifically noted that although the Andresy Witch Hunt is the most well-known one (for obvious reasons) and the thing that started it, similar anti-Communicator discrimination started occurring around the world after that.

Communicators were targeted by normal people for the sole fact that they were Communicators-- and those incidents only increased in frequency afterwards. In April that same year, a young American Communicator was lynched in Brooklyn. The following month, an entire apartment building was burned to the ground in China. In June, it was Germany. In July, Italy and America. In August, it was Germany, France, and Austria. In September, it was Russia, France, America, and China... I had my hands full just counting all of the similar incidents.

I don't consider exponentially increasing incidents of public persecution per month to be non-serious. And that's in the first few months after the Andresy Witch Hunt. You think persecution just casually dies off?

AlphaKretin posted:

It's more people are taking the somewhat warped current state and going "man, Q's right, all this should get blown up", while ignoring that groups like Q are the reason these safeguards were developed in the first place. It's the equivalent of seeing one corrupt cop and saying "the entire concept of police is wrong and all police are criminals".

---

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, you people might want to remember one major obvious reason for BC/Communicator research - B Aptitude Communicators have an absurdly short life expectancy (30-40 years is the noted amount), with S Aptitude obviously being even lower. Some people actually care about that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Watchers: 09/10/2030, 16:30

She heard the sound of a car engine. And eventually, she heard the professor's voice as well.

...Mmm...
We're here.
...I see.

Once Salyu answered, the car stopped.

Let's get off now.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

A gentle breeze caressed Salyu's cheek. The professor stood next to her and spoke.

You slept well.
...I had a dream.
A dream?
Yes, a dream. Of when I was at home in France... Those barren, ashen days. ...Nothing had happened, but it felt like a very sad dream.
Don't worry, Yui. There's no need for you to return to that estate anymore. Starting today, you live here in Rokumei City.

Salyu had heard that her parents and the professor had held a discussion. They concluded that Salyu would temporarily be put under the custody of the professor and live in her hometown.

I'm sorry that you have to live in an unfamiliar land, but I don't think you'll feel uncomfortable here.
But there's something I have to do, isn't there?
Good, you remembered.
Of course. More importantly, I want you to go over my role again.
Your role here is to protect my son, Natsuhiko Tenkawa.
From what?
From all kinds of malicious intent. Lately, this town's public order has been going bad... Though it might still be better compared to how it was a long in the past.
What happened in the past?
There were anti-BC demonstrations and anti-Communicator persecution even in a city like this. Afterwards, Communicator residences were the target of direct destructive activity. And the targeted homes were partially destroyed... and some people even died.
Oh. But it looks like such a peaceful city.
It took 16 years for it to get this far, though. But not even the strongest fortification can guarantee perfect safety. This town has several holes. As a Rank S Aptitude Communicator, Natsuhiko is at a higher risk of danger than other Communicators. But I cannot stay with him at all times... So I want you to protect Natsuhiko for me, Yui.
Roger.
Thank you. Now, there's one key thing you need to know. Due to childhood trauma, Natsuhiko keeps seeing a phantom of his childhood friend who died. Her name was 'Yuuri Kotono'.
Yuuri... Kotono...

For some reason, hearing that name made Salyu feel nostalgic. Indeed, the professor had talked to her about this topic before.

When you speak with Natsuhiko, he might suddenly bring up that girl's name-- But don't touch on the subject. Just gently leave it alone.
I already understand the information concerning Yuuri Kotono. I intend to handle the subject with the utmost care.
Yes, I have high expectations.

The professor gently spoke. But Salyu did not understand what those expectations actually were. She was extremely poor at judging what was on people's minds based on facial expression and tone of voice.

...I really am anxious after all. I can't understand other people's minds or other forms of any worldly common sense. Can someone like me properly care for your son?
I thought you might say that, so I prepared a present for you.

And with that, the professor took something out of the car trunk.

...A stuffed animal?
Not just any stuffed animal. This is an Atmosphere Reading Mascot System, or 'ARMS' for short. Its featured functionality is to give you estimates of emotions based on facial expression, speech, and conduct. It should serve as an important guide to help you live in the outside world.

And with that explanation, the professor handed the so-called ARMS device to Salyu. A single thought ran through Salyu's head as she looked it over carefully.

(Cute...)

The soft texture of its fur was pleasant to touch. She hadn't had an interest in such things before then, but for some reason, she really took a liking to it.

If you point ARMS' eyes towards someone's face, it will automatically scan their facial expression. And if ARMS cries happily, that person is happy. In addition to facial expressions, it's also able to analyze voices and behavior. It's quite good at forming judgments.

ARMS cried when the professor said that.

Alice: Kyuuu!!
It cried happily... Professor, does that mean you're happy right now?
Yes. I'm happy because you seem to be happy too.
...Useful.
That's great. Looks like it's to your liking.

The professor smiled and continued talking.

Now then, there's a hotel nearby. You and I are staying there tonight.
We're not going to your house, Professor?
I think you might be bewildered at such a sudden change in environment... so let's acclimatize you gradually.

And with that declaration, the professor took Salyu by the hand and began walking.

Once she saw a crowd of people larger than any she'd seen back home, Salyu's body began to tremble.

(It's kind of... scary...) ...Um, Professor, are we at the hotel yet?
No, actually, I thought it'd be better to purchase some daily necessities for you at this shopping area first, so--

Right as the professor said that, a voice echoed in Salyu's head.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

!?

Salyu gasped at the sudden yell.

Professor, what was that?

When Salyu asked her that question-- the professor's face froze.

W... was that...!? It couldn't be-- Natsuhiko!?

The professor looked around in a panic.

Have his abilities finally...!? No, more importantly...!
Um, Professor?
Not good... If the upper brass catches wind of this...

The professor muttered to herself. She seemed so taken aback that she didn't even hear Salyu's words. Soon, the professor's PDA rang. She gasped and picked up.

Yes. This is Tenkawa... Yes, I just perceived it as well. That was probably Special Observation Target Na2's telepathy... What measures? No, that's too hasty! It was only telepathy, you know!? According to the PRC criteria--

The professor seemed to be arguing on the phone with someone. Salyu waited there for a while, but the call continued for 10, then 20 minutes without any sign of stopping.

(Did some sort of problem happen...?)

Salyu didn't understand a thing. Once she had grown bored of waiting, she eventually heard a crowd stirring across the street.

(... I wonder what it is.)

Salyu walked in the direction of the commotion, making sure not to get too far away from the professor.

Apparently there was a motor vehicle accident. A fire engine could be seen approaching from the distance.

(That boy is Dr. Tenkawa's son...?)

That should've been the first time she saw him, yet for some reason, he looked familiar. Had the professor shown her a picture of him before? At that time, he too turned Salyu's way.

Alice: Kyuu kyuu! Kyuu kyuu!

And just then, ARMS started violently squeaking like an alarm bell.

(Oh no, does he see me as hostile...?)

Salyu became frightened again and quickly fled.

...Yes. Yes. Understood. Then we'll go with that...

The professor sighed and hung up. Once she noticed Salyu, she spoke to her.

...Sorry about the wait.
Finished with the phone?
...Looks like things are about to get busy, but... I'm okay. Don't worry about me. Please don't mention that phone call just now to Natsuhiko when you meet him, okay?
? ...I don't understand, but okay.
Thank you. Anyway, let's go to the hotel. I'll take care of the shopping later.

The professor grasped Salyu's hand and started walking again. Along the way, Salyu asked the professor a question.

By the way, Professor, back to what we were talking about...
Huh?
The matter about protecting your son. Why choose me for that role? Someone with your position and assets should be able to employ as many capable bodyguards as you'd like. So why choose just me?

The professor quietly answered Salyu's question.

I wanted to give you a role.
...A role?
Yes, a role. It's not just for my son's sake. It's for yours as well. Both Natsuhiko's mind and yours are lacking in some areas. But that's exactly why you can complete each other. I have high hopes for you, Yui. Hopes that you can give Natsuhiko what I cannot. Hopes that Natsuhiko can give you what I cannot.
...? I don't understand.
I know... But I'm sure one day you will. Once you've fulfilled your role, your void will be filled.

The professor spoke with a smile.

(A ''role'', huh...)

She didn't understand why she was so fascinated by something as boring as bodyguard work. But Salyu was aware... that it was something she had longed for.

(I'm not confident I can do it... but I'll try my best.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cyouni posted:

There are an average of 166 thousand Communicators in the world, and projections state that 6 thousand of them are Japanese. You're essentially suggesting lock 6 thousand people somewhere rural. And you want them to voluntarily walk into this. And if you want to pretend it's a mental hospital, good luck getting non-employees to visit 6 thousand people without anyone ever being tipped off.

Not for all of them, just VIPs like Alice.

Cyouni posted:

Do you not see the problems with that? You're completely forgetting about the rest of Rokumei City in this design of yours, all of whom were actually fine with experiments as part of joining one of these government-designated cities. That's the whole point of the city and the other five like it - to serve as a safe haven for Communicators in general. Alice was basically the first case ever, which didn't anticipate things like the Anti-BC League actually inside Rokumei City, which is why LABO and its defenses (not to mention the full lockdown of Rokumei City) were later developed. All things covered in Ena's absurdly long briefings.

Then MEXT is profoundly incompetent if they didn't have a plan B. If she was part of a sect that had manipulated the police in the past, they should have protocols in case their location was ever compromised. This is police cop poo poo 101.

Cyouni posted:

Isolated and lost her family, sure. Half lost her mind...significantly less so. The incidents that prompted her N-ification were pretty obviously the Anti-BC League, as can be easily determined by simply looking at the timeline, and that was after they started getting involved with each other.

That's completely wrong, she was losing her mind when she came to Japan due to the cult using her for Senses Sympathy, then it accelerated since she continued using her powers in PRC.

Cyouni posted:

I'm mildly curious if you actually know that things like Boy A/Girl A are the standard Japanese method for hiding names that they don't want to be revealed, typically juvenile offenders. It makes complete sense that's how they'd be referred to in official documents if you wanted to hide their past.

I do, except read the Tsubakiyama journals again and Salyu's internal thoughts, most of them use the single letter designation in their day-to-day interactions. Miyako only called Yui by her name when they were alone.

Cyouni posted:

Uh...it's specifically noted that although the Andresy Witch Hunt is the most well-known one (for obvious reasons) and the thing that started it, similar anti-Communicator discrimination started occurring around the world after that.

Communicators were targeted by normal people for the sole fact that they were Communicators-- and those incidents only increased in frequency afterwards. In April that same year, a young American Communicator was lynched in Brooklyn. The following month, an entire apartment building was burned to the ground in China. In June, it was Germany. In July, Italy and America. In August, it was Germany, France, and Austria. In September, it was Russia, France, America, and China... I had my hands full just counting all of the similar incidents.

No dude that's not obvious at all. The apartment burning casually mentioned in the dialogue seems far more notable that the Witch Hunt, where the only incident took place in some podunk church. Why would the latter be more famous especially since the government suppresses information about S-rank Communicators?

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
A bit late for this, but i dont think Q has a point
They are obviously just using a narrative convenient to their own plans
The entire point of me calling miyoko out is that, the game dow right gave me the feeling that she is making all the wrong choices amd doing lot of unforgivable things
While the game obviously want her seen in a nicer light

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Arkanumzilong posted:

While the game obviously want her seen in a nicer light

Personally, I fully expect Q to come off as evil when it's all said and done, and for the only 'good' person of authority to be Miyoko.

I'd say Ena, too, but she's explicity defying the authority to be here.

Though, to say that what's going on is 'somewhat warped' is analogous to saying the Nazi's were 'somewhat mean,' to go all Godwin's law on you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
For all that Q might have a point in doing this, they still set off a bunch of bombs and may/may not have been responsible for the last bomb blowing up early. We mostly know what LABO's been doing because we've been shown and told about it, but our only line to Q is through Watase and Ukita who's actions make sense based on what we know of LABO.

For all we know Q could be a rival communicator research branch who, in addition to doing all of the stuff that LABO does, is using Anti-BC sentiment to throw wrenches into other LABO-facilities because those branches are 'winning' the BC arms race.

I totally understand the Miyoko hate in the thread but to me it seems like she's middle management caught between a rock and a hard place and trying to make the best of it :shrug:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 11, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

EponymousMrYar posted:

I totally understand the Miyoko hate in the thread but to me it seems like she's middle management caught between a rock and a hard place and trying to make the best of it :shrug:

True, but 'Just Following Orders' is not an acceptable excuse.

Edit: If she were truly repentant, after all this she'd turn herself in and plead guilty to the human rights violations, etc, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 11, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

For all that Q might have a point in doing this, they still set off a bunch of bombs and may/may not have been responsible for the last bomb blowing up early. We mostly know what LABO's been doing because we've been shown and told about it, but our only line to Q is through Watase and Ukita who's actions make sense based on what we know of LABO.

That is a point.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Again, I'd probably have a lot more pity for her if the game wasn't about to tearfully vindicate her. She also just comes off either detached or self-serving in her dialogue. Like either she's just following orders or she's trying to justify to herself all the poo poo she does. That's a great quality for a villain, but it's not something that endears a character to the audience.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Q and LABO are both awful. Miyoko, Ukita, and Watase had good intentions, but they had to know that what they were doing was deeply wrong. but I think that Miyoko was operating with significantly more information, and in my mind that makes her decisions worse.

and the harping on it is obviously because the game is trying its damnedest to spin her actions in a positive light.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Not for all of them, just VIPs like Alice.
And again, that's literally why LABO was created, as both a shelter from the world outside as well as a container to keep leaking NBC inside. Q wants neither, they'd rather just have Communicators lynched rather than have them anywhere safe.

SSNeoman posted:

Then MEXT is profoundly incompetent if they didn't have a plan B. If she was part of a sect that had manipulated the police in the past, they should have protocols in case their location was ever compromised. This is police cop poo poo 101.
What does Alice's cult have to do with how the Anti-BC League wanted to persecute Communicators? They prepared solutions in case there were problems with Alice.

The whole point was that this was essentially a new start in a completely new place, where nobody knew who she was. Need I remind you that the persecution wasn't directed at her alone - it was directed at the existence of Communicators in general.

SSNeoman posted:

That's completely wrong, she was losing her mind when she came to Japan due to the cult using her for Senses Sympathy, then it accelerated since she continued using her powers in PRC.

"By the time A had gone from France to Japan, her N-ification had already progressed considerably. As a result of the dedicated efforts of Chief Tsubakiyama and the researchers at the PRC, she temporarily regained tranquility, but... The truth of the matter was that her mind was already on the brink of collapse. Unfortunately, at the time of her arrival, Rokumei City was rife with a citizen group's anti-BC demonstrations. The persecution of that citizen group triggered A's N-ification to progress all the way to completion."

SSNeoman posted:

I do, except read the Tsubakiyama journals again and Salyu's internal thoughts, most of them use the single letter designation in their day-to-day interactions. Miyako only called Yui by her name when they were alone.
Oh, I won't disagree that Eriguchi and Kashiwagi were assholes. Interesting note that there's a pretty solid chance that they were affected by a early form of Alice's NBC, though it would likely have only enhanced aggressiveness at that stage. But yeah, assholes.

It's also pretty obviously not true regarding Miyoko, as you can easily see that all the experiments were monitored, and she's constantly referring to both Yuuri and Salyu by name during those.

SSNeoman posted:

No dude that's not obvious at all. The apartment burning casually mentioned in the dialogue seems far more notable that the Witch Hunt, where the only incident took place in some podunk church. Why would the latter be more famous especially since the government suppresses information about S-rank Communicators?
Because it's the incident that kicked everything off. No one remembers #2. You can see that happening historically quite often.

Its main reason for being famous is that it was the first incident, and since the exact mechanics behind the whole sect were suppressed, it was just remembered as 'the first Communicator persecution resulting​ in death'.

BenRGamer posted:

I'd say Ena, too, but she's explicity defying the authority to be here.

Not really, it's under the authority of the BC commissioners to investigate this stuff and make sure the Communicators held there aren't being mistreated. It's just the Rokumei City government really liked the kickbacks they were getting from the abduction and experimentation.

And the whole preemptive secret confinement for the purpose of lab rats.

And yeah, it's pretty blatantly obvious that Miyoko's been heavily blackmailed for at least 6 years (when she threatened to blow the whistle to Ena's bosses). The threat is to Natsuhiko's safety, but I'm not sure if that's about him possibly being kidnapped by SS6, the under 30 life expectancy, or both.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Spatula City posted:

Q and LABO are both awful. Miyoko, Ukita, and Watase had good intentions, but they had to know that what they were doing was deeply wrong. but I think that Miyoko was operating with significantly more information, and in my mind that makes her decisions worse.

and the harping on it is obviously because the game is trying its damnedest to spin her actions in a positive light.

Yeah, these are my current feelings on the situation, too. There's a LOT of blame to go around, it's not just all on one person.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The End of the Road: 09/11/2030, 08:10

There, she received an informative lecture on the usage of ARMS and various points of caution relating to her new life. The next morning, Dr. Tenkawa took her from the hotel to the school.

It was a little disheartening to stand in front of the school. Dr. Tenkawa had accompanied her all the way to the school gate, but Salyu was on her own from there on.

As Salyu nervously waited in front of the classroom, she was addressed by the homeroom teacher who greeted her earlier.

Indeed she is. Now then, Ms. Sannomiya, please come in~

Salyu fired herself up and entered the classroom as instructed.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Louise Yui Sannomiya.

--And thus, she somehow managed to handle the hurdle of introducing herself. But Salyu was afraid of the crowd of students in the classroom. And once homeroom ended--

An energetic girl called out to her. The sudden voice startled Salyu. It was ''Mashiro Toba''. She said she wanted to be Salyu's friend.

(... Really? I hope she's not plotting anything.)

Salyu sank into paranoia for a second before suddenly realizing something important: this girl seemed to be that ''friend of Natsuhiko's'' that the professor mentioned. Natsuhiko himself was nearby. In that case, Salyu thought it'd be best for her to make friends with them. Once Salyu agreed to be their friend, Mashiro jumped for joy.

Now, then, what should we call you? Oh, I know! 'Salyu'. How's that!?
Hmm... well, I don't see why not. (Actually... it's a rather beautiful nickname.)

''Salyu'' was pronounced like ''Salut'', which was French for ''hi''.

(A salutation. The beginning of communication... It's like an encouraging boost to my perseverance. I feel like my first contact with them went by pretty well too.)

Salyu was secretly full of joy. And thus began her new life. --But the day's lessons ended before she really had any good opportunities to have a nice and slow conversation with them.

She waited by the side of the building for a while and eventually, the professor's car approached and stopped.

Good work today, Yui.
Ah, Professor.
How was your first day at school?
Mmm, I'm tired... but I did establish contact with Natsuhiko and Mashiro.
Good. Just as planned. Were you able to get along with them?
Quite. We're already friends now.
Alice: Kyuu~n...

Suddenly, ARMS cried anxiously.

Professor, you're feeling anxious? Why?
N-no, it's just your imagination...
?

Perhaps even ARMS was capable of making a misjudgment. The professor didn't seem to have anything to be anxious about, in any case.

Anyway, starting from today, you'll be living at my house. Let's head over there. I'm fairly sure that not even that boy will object...
Understood.

But once they had gone to the Tenkawa residence and reunited with Natsuhiko and Mashiro--

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

(That's strange... Nobody told me to expect this development. But I thought we were already friends. I haven't even touched on the phantom subject.)

But the professor quickly departed, leaving the confused Salyu to her own devices.

Is it a bother for me to live in this house? This isn't what the professor said would happen. She said you guys wouldn't object.

Salyu twitched in fear when she saw that expression on Natsuhiko's face.

(Even someone like me can understand that expression...)

Natsuhiko was mad. And Salyu had a feeling she knew to whom that anger was directed.

(It can't be... Am I... a nuisance...?)

The thought saddened her. The happiness she had finally gained had suddenly withered.

I was sent here to protect you, after all.
Huh...? You... protect me?

Natsuhiko only stared blankly. He didn't seem happy at all.

(He really isn't accepting me... Why does he have to be so cruel to me? I've done nothing wrong...)

Salyu couldn't understand a thing that was on Natsuhiko's mind. --And thus, the first day of Salyu's new life came to an anxious end. She was wondering if things could get worse from there, but--

She went shopping with Natsuhiko and Mashiro and opened her heart to them a little bit... And after Natsuhiko asked her about how they had met at the scene of the accident two days prior, Salyu gathered the courage to tell him about her weakness.

...To be honest, I'm very poor at understanding the nuances of people's emotions and facial expressions. It's thanks to this thing that I can finally communicate properly with people.

That's why I was uneasy about adapting to a new life. But with ARMS, I think I can somehow manage.
...So that's how it was.

Natsuhiko fell silent at Salyu's words for a few moments before timidly speaking up.

Say, Salyu...
What is it?
Umm, well... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for always acting so hostile towards you.
...Mm.

It was still an awkwardly stilted conversation-- but it didn't feel unpleasant at all.

(I've learned something... The key to good communication might be honesty. You should open up your heart and come in contact with others, even if they seem scary.)

That was an epiphany to Salyu.

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

Okay, thanks for waiting!
W-whoaaah~!!
...Magnificent.

The food was very delicious, but above all else, it was Mashiro's consideration that delighted Salyu.

(She's gentle and she doesn't hide behind a mask... Her speech and conduct match almost perfectly with Alice's judgment. Everything she says seems to be genuine.)

Even though Salyu couldn't understand the minds of others, she felt like she could believe Mashiro unconditionally. Afterwards, they all talked about novels and had a fun time.

--It looked to me like everyone had fun today. Did you have fun, Natsuhiko?
Huh? W-well, of course. Did you have a bad time, Salyu?
...No. I had a lot of fun too.

When Salyu said that with a smile, Natsuhiko smiled back. If only days like this could continue forever... That's what Salyu wished. --But that peace did not last long. The next night, Natsuhiko and Mashiro got into a fight, even though Salyu had thought they were getting along.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

H-hey, wait a second, Mashiro!

And the next day--

If you don't believe Mashiro, then why don't you just leave her alone?
Hey... don't you think you're being a little too cold? You're not gonna make any friends like that.

Those words gouged out Salyu's heart. She had never expected one of her first ever friends to say that to her.

(Ah, but... if I talk to him honestly, then maybe...)

Once she got that idea, Salyu talked once more about her peculiar trait. About the dysfunctional part of her brain. And how as a result, she couldn't understand other people's feelings in the slightest--

I came to Japan, met all of you, and had fun, but... at times, I've also been confused, and also scared. Perhaps I really wasn't meant to interact with other people.

Salyu spoke on the verge of tears-- but Natsuhiko replied in a subdued voice.

...Don't tell yourself you weren't meant to interact with other people. It's true that we can't understand other people's feelings. When I say we can't understand other people's feelings, I don't just mean you and me, Salyu. Nobody truly can.
Huh...!? It's not just me... but everyone?
That's right. But don't you think... we should still try our best to understand each other regardless? ...You don't need a full understanding of what's on other people's minds. But as long as you keep striving for it... In other words, as long as you keep other people in consideration... Then I'm sure things will turn out for the best. Both for you and for those you interact with... And unless you afford that kindness to others, nobody will be kind to you, will they?

--Those words reverberated in Salyu's mind.

(I see. If everyone's the same way... then I'm just wasting my time worrying about it alone. Perhaps Natsuhiko has the same sort of worries I do inside. He overcame those worries to say all that... Is this what it means to sympathize with someone??)

At that time, Salyu felt like she gained at least a slight understanding of Natsuhiko's incomprehensible boyish mind.

(Then I need to respond... by trying to sympathize with Natsuhiko too.)

Salyu reconciled with Natsuhiko and the two of them decided to search for Mashiro together.

--Let's calm down and think about a way to find her. I'll help.
Yeah!

Salyu's life began to take a huge change. She couldn't recommend Natsuhiko and Mashiro stepping into danger, but in the corner of her mind, she enjoyed it.

(... It's kind of like an adventure... It might possibly contradict my role, but I think I might like this sort of thing.)

They suffered a temporary defeat, but once they woke up from being knocked out, the three kids talked. Natsuhiko decided to head to LABO to prevent the terrorist plot. And so Salyu and Mashiro chose to cooperate with him as well.

Aagh, geez... How can you two be so stubborn...!?
I don't want to hear it from you, Natsuhiko. The three of us just have the same idea in mind.
Total agreement.

And then the kids smiled at each other. They eventually sorted out their story.

...Okay, then. Ready, guys?
Roger.
Mmm, I'm ready to go when you are.
Let's go, to protect the city...!

Salyu nodded and broke off into a dash. Alongside the two precious friends that fate had brought to her in that city.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Only Neat Thing to Do: 09/16/2030, 06:19

But by the time they got there-- It was already too late.

Kyaah!
Ghh...!

--They missed the window of opportunity to stop the terrorist plot... by just a short amount of time.

But along the way, they ran into the terrorists--

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Salyu promptly yelled.

Salyu!?
I'll get rid of him! The other one's fainted, so I can manage one-on-one combat!
Then let me help--!
No, Natsuhiko, you guys will only drag me down! I can't deal with a hostage situation if they get you! You guys go find an exit! If you find one, contact me through telepathy!

Salyu had judged that to be the most logical course of action. But after Natsuhiko and Mashiro had fled and Salyu had knocked down the two terrorists, a new terrorist appeared. Salyu immediately dropkicked him, but the force of the impact merely shattered the enemy's faceplate. The third terrorist threw off his protection suit and spoke.

...So we meet again.

He was the man who had knocked Salyu out last night in the ruined factory.

...Just a word of warning. Get out. Or the bulkheads will shut and trap your rear end in here. The fires will get worse and you could even burn to death. Seems to me like you're trying to thwart our plan out of some childish sense of justice, but-- What good is fighting me if it means putting your body in such extreme danger?
...!

Now he mentioned it, what -would- be the purpose of fighting this man? That was already well beyond the scope of Salyu's role.

(Why am I going so far to--)

Her thoughts were interrupted by a gunshot.

!!

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

(Crap...!)

When Salyu turned around in shock, she spotted one of the terrorists that she had flung away pointing his gun at her.

Dumbass! The hell are you doing!? Shooting at a child--!?
Dojima: The hell are YOU doing!? There's no time to be standing around, is there!?

The terrorists started quarreling. Salyu took that opportunity to get out of there.

(I can't win against guns! I need a weapon of my own...!)

Salyu spoke as the other two worried about her.

The enemy has exceptional physical strength and unknown numbers... Our odds don't look good.
Okay, Salyu, then come down here! Let's escape together!
No, I can't climb down with this arm. I think it'd be difficult for you guys to climb up too. So let's split up and escape separately.
No! Will you be okay by yourself, Salyu!?
I will. But there's no time to speak my reasoning. So let's use BC.

Salyu said that, hoping that they would use empathy on her. She calmed down her mind and thought of the message she wanted to send them.

(I've finally found life interesting for once. I don't want it to end like this. I truly enjoyed these past six days. ... These are my true feelings. What I've always wanted to tell you all.)

--Even though Salyu was by no means an eloquent speaker, she was able to express herself honestly if she used pure emotions. It appeared that they had received her message.

...Okay! Leave these two to me! Promise me one more thing! That we'll all live long enough to meet again on the outside!
...Promise.

And on that note, Salyu left.

(My brachial vein's damaged... I need to treat it immediately.)

(I can do temporary first aid with this...)

Luckily, the bullet had pierced all the way through. Salyu took the stapler to the gunshot wound in her arm-- and stitched it up.

--!!

She stifled her voice and treated the exit wound as well--

Gghh--... Haah, haah...

She sank to the floor, breathing roughly. For now, she had averted a medical emergency.

(... Now, what do I do from here...?)

The terrorist's words echoed in her head.

What good is fighting me if it means putting your body in such extreme danger?

--She very well could do what he said and run away. But if the terrorists' goal was to destroy the town in its entirety with a nuclear meltdown, then running away was pretty much pointless.

(... I can't just run away. If we don't prevent the meltdown... If we don't stop them...!)

The city would be destroyed. Atomic dust would rain on Natsuhiko, Mashiro, Dr. Tenkawa, and everyone else. There was only one way to stop it.

(... I won't run. What I need to do now is not to run...!)

--But to fight. To defeat the terrorists and put an end to their plan.

Because my role... is to protect Natsuhiko and the others.

A faint smile rose to Salyu's lips. With courage welling in her heart, she began to walk once more.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Headcanon: Louise is autistic. Probably Asperger's Syndrome.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Junpei posted:

Headcanon: Louise is autistic. Probably Asperger's Syndrome.

that has always been my headcanon. the game SAYS that she lost the ability due to the memories, but first of all, if she interacted with very few people other than LABO people, she might not have had much opportunity to develop the ability to read people's expressions and anticipate their reactions.
Also that the memory-dump explanation makes zero sense to me, for causing massive loss to empathic ability.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Salyu was a test subject born in LABO. It's highly unlikely she ever interacted with anybody that wasn't from LABO.

The memory-dump explanation centers on Salyu developing a much greater sense of self-consciousness through the experiments, which comes from a variety of factors:

- Salyu has an intellect that far surpasses any one human being in the world today. She has the knowledge and skills of over 300 different people, most, if not all, experts in their fields.
- She has no "real" memories that could be conductive to forming an actual personality. Like it said in a previous chapter - her status as a lab rat was the only thing she existed for.
- She was hardly ever visited while locked up in her cell. As such, she has had a *LOT* of time to just think about things, and particularly her situation. It's hard not to get philosophical in a situation like that.

As such, she turned into a really self-conscious hard drive with no purpose in life beyond being a hard drive. And as she was really self-conscious about her being a hard drive, her conviction that social skills would not be necessary for a hard drive and a lack of any sort of counter-argument led to a total stunting of her social skills, down to her becoming unable to read the feelings of other people.

So in short, due to the experiments, she spent years thinking nothing but "my purpose in life is to store information in my brain", and due to that and a lack of use, her social skills, if there ever were any, shriveled up and died, leaving only those parts that she thinks she can analyze objectively, like "smile = happy".

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
It's pointless to speculate on this because Salyu has not had any semblance of a normal life. She's never been a member of society, she hasn't had the opportunity to hold normal conversations, and her brain is filled with the personalities of dozens of different people. Humans learn social cues and empathy (the non-sci-fi kind) by doing, and she hasn't done any of that, even before you get into the whole "losing personality" thing.

Unless the story comes out and straight-up says it, I feel like there's not much use in trying to diagnose a fictional character with autism. She is who she is, and the game is already trying to do its best to explain why without us needing to resort to armchair psychiatry.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If anything, I'd armchair psychiatrist more towards "extreme isolation and emotional neglect leading to stunted socialziation" than towards autism. Especially since LABO apparently decided Salyu's empathy/etc had gotten worse through the experiments, instead of it being the way she was all along.

So basically a combination of what McD and TheOneandOnlyT said.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

BenRGamer posted:

True, but 'Just Following Orders' is not an acceptable excuse.

Edit: If she were truly repentant, after all this she'd turn herself in and plead guilty to the human rights violations, etc, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

I mean, the question here is whether she even could; the game has laid out that everything LABO does is at least implicitly condoned by, if not sponsored by the government. Maybe she could try and seek asylum somewhere else, but even then would that work out? Would she be able to leave the country, or be believed, or be able to convince international authorities of the truth of her word over their peers'?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Or to sum everything up a bit more succinctly: Alice has the social grace of a supercomputer stuffed doll considering that's how she's able to determine emotions in other people :v:

(Also explains why the doll was able to hack LABO. It was probably developed there!)

Mister Olympus posted:

I mean, the question here is whether she even could; the game has laid out that everything LABO does is at least implicitly condoned by, if not sponsored by the government. Maybe she could try and seek asylum somewhere else, but even then would that work out? Would she be able to leave the country, or be believed, or be able to convince international authorities of the truth of her word over their peers'?

They'd want her for her BC science-ness so that'd be something of a bargaining chip for her seeking asylum. Also considering how LABO's been kind of bilking the government yolk (see Ena's memories) she could probably testify against the LABO higher ups as well.

I mean, who's worse: the dudes who ordered and made it so they could get away with all of this human experimentation, or the people actually doing that experimentation?

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 13, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

It's pretty easy to comment on this: During Ena's section, it's basically mentioned that Rokumei City's government (and to some degree the Japanese government) is in on it because they like the benefits that comes thanks to unrestricted BC research. The development of AD and BC insulators brought them a ton of money, and they'd like to keep that pattern going.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, this next chapter sure couldn't have come at a better time.

And now that I've said that, I think you could probably make a good guess as to what the name of this chapter is going to be.

Yes, it's "MIYOKO TENKAWA".

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

TheMcD posted:

Well, this next chapter sure couldn't have come at a better time.

And now that I've said that, I think you could probably make a good guess as to what the name of this chapter is going to be.

Yes, it's "MIYOKO TENKAWA".

So you're saying that now the games going to get into high gear about saying

"But she felt really bad about being a monster, you guys!"

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I've got so much suspense for this next scene and it's entirely because of the thread rather than the game itself.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

If this is the one scene I'm thinking it is, it's great to just imagine the surrounding expressions while a certain section is going on.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MIYOKO TENKAWA: 09/16/2030, 17:12

----
--

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

...Hikorin, Salyu, are you okay?

Yuuri's voice felt so far away. Natsuhiko just gritted his teeth without answering.

(... Salyu had... the toughest past out of all of us...!)

Everything he saw in Salyu's memory wrenched Natsuhiko's heart. And right in front of him-- Salyu cried.

...I'm sorry...!

Natsuhiko regretted his decision. He should have followed Yuuri's advice. But Salyu quickly shook her head and continued speaking.

...No need to apologize. It's probably still better for me to know than to not have known a thing. We can think about everything later. Right, Natsuhiko?

Salyu smiled through her tears. With a facial expression that closely resembled the one Dr. Tenkawa used in Salyu's memory.

Even if my life was ashen, the memories of these last few days filled it with color. As long as I have those memories, I can overcome any past...

She shut her eyes and murmured. Tears ran down her cheeks and fell to the floor. Natsuhiko could tell she was pushing herself. Seeing her shed tears for the first time was proof enough.

(Dammit... Is there nothing I can do to support her?)

Salyu said she wanted him to support her if he could. So if there was anything he could do for her--

(That's it... I'll show her... my mind and heart...!)

That was not an abuse of his ability. In fact, it was likely the right way to use it. With that firm belief, Natsuhiko gently grasped Salyu's hand.

...Salyu.
...!

As Salyu's body stiffened, Natsuhiko gazed at her and sent her telepathy. Telepathy infused with his gratitude, affection, and all his feelings for her.

{The days I spent with you are precious memories to me too... I'm so glad I met you. I've changed a little thanks to you, too. But nobody said the fun times would end with these few days. I'm sure there are tons of great things to come. Because we're always with you...}

Salyu said nothing. She just silently grasped Natsuhiko's hand back. Yuuri laid her hand on top of theirs and spoke.

...Let's get everybody out of here. Together. Let's go back to that home with Mashiro. The four of us.
...Mm.

Salyu nodded, wiping her tears. Natsuhiko nodded and murmured.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Well, all that's left is to get Ms. Tachibana back and then we can get out of here...
Yeah, but... Security Sector 6 might be waiting outside.
Huh?
Nearly 10 hours have already passed since the bulkheads locked down. Which means LABO must already be taking measures to ensure the test subjects don't escape. Security Sector 6 has us marked. Once the bulkheads open--
Security Sector 6 will capture you and confine you again...!?

Now that she mentioned it, nobody inside knew what the situation was on the outside.

Really makes you want to know what's going on out there. Is there anyone we can contact via BC?
I'm sure there are lots of people outside, but... I don't know if there's anyone we can trust.

Watase's boss, the ''Commander'' might have been trustworthy, but he wouldn't know the kids.

Tips posted:

TIP: Hyogo Murakami
Category: Fiction

Commander of Sirius. Age 47. Rank: Battalion Chief.

From his many achievements through dispatches, he received many promotions and worked his way up the ranks to Battalion Chief. Though he regrettably has not done any frontline firefighting recently, his physicality has not atrophied in the slightest.

He once was attached to a rescue squad himself. His tempered body and durable spirit earned him the nickname ''Iron Murakami''. He highly values Watase, who has a similar nickname, and has high hopes for him as Sirius' field captain. Murakami works earnestly so as to not let any disorder arise in the chain of command, which backfires since he doesn't notice the truth of LABO concealed by the Rokumei City government, and thus he ends up unwittingly working to support them.

Besides, they didn't know his characteristic brain waveform, so they couldn't send him directional telepathy.

...Um, I don't know much about BC, but couldn't you contact Dr. Tenkawa?
That's right! Mom!

They certainly could trust Dr. Tenkawa, and the possibility that she was on alert outside LABO was high. But Yuuri shook her head.

I thought so too, so I tried contacting her several times as soon as we were locked in... but I couldn't connect.
Is it because of the bulkheads?
Maybe. I was thinking that maybe we could contact the outside with the WX particle energy this high, though...

It seemed worth another shot. Natsuhiko concentrated his mind.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

{--Mom, can you hear me? It's me, Natsuhiko.}

He then tried using empathy. No response.

{--If you can hear me, please focus on your answer. I'll listen for it with empathy. You might already know this, but I've awoken to my BC ability.}

He tried using empathy again. No response.

{Mom, we need your help. If you can hear me-- please help us escape.}

He tried using empathy once more. And on the third attempt--

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

The professor's voice echoed in his head.

{Mom! So you really are there!}
{I am! Ahh, it's really you, Natsuhiko! I was so worried, I thought my heart was going to burst...!}
(Yes! It worked!)

Natsuhiko gave Yuuri and Salyu an OK sign and continued communicating with the professor.

{Mom, it seems Yuuri hasn't been able to contact you all day. Did something happen?}
{I got caught in an explosion immediately following the start of the terrorist attack, so I received treatment in the hospital. I just got back about two hours ago. Right now... --...--}

The professor's voice abruptly cut off.

{Mom!? I can't hear you!}
{--...--ear!? How's this!?}
{Ah, I can hear you now. What's going on?}
{I tried putting my head to the floor. Looks like we can connect better that way.}

{We seem to be able to connect since the WX particle energy levels are high, but-- If they drop past a certain threshold, then connection will be rendered impossible once more.}
(...!)

That meant that even though they had finally connected, there was a high possibility that they'd lose contact soon enough. The professor hurriedly asked Natsuhiko a question.

{We don't have time. Answer me, Natsuhiko. How's the situation over there?}
{Ah, right!}

Natsuhiko summarized the situation.

But in spite of the severe situation, the survivors were slowly gathering and formulating a plan to escape--

{How's it going on your side? Will we be able to escape once the bulkheads open?}

The professor painfully answered.

{... Escape will probably be difficult. Security Sector 6 is on standby outside.}
{I knew it...!}
{LABO's top brass wants to make it so that this whole thing never happened. They're preparing to rush inside once the Case N lifts. The main power supply cut out a few hours ago, didn't it?}
{Y-yeah.}
{They anticipated that if they cut the main power at that time, then the reserve power supply would fail too right about when the bulkheads open, leaving the facility in total darkness. Security Sector 6 suspects that this event is a Q terrorist attack. They intend to arm themselves with guns and cut the lights so that once the bulkheads open, they can secure all of you.}
{Then if we use our BC to oppose them--}
{You can't. They're administering themselves with AD and they're wearing anti-BC suits made with insulators. Your BC won't be effective.}
{What!?}

It seemed that the opening of the bulkheads, their light at the end of the tunnel, would still not allow them to escape. In just an hour, Security Sector 6 would rush in on them. Even though the survivors had yet to gather everyone--

{Mom, is there no way to delay the opening of the bulkheads!?}
{I'm sorry. It's impossible. When the Case N and WX particle amplifier malfunction happened at the same time, all of the bulkheads automatically shut. But once the WX particle energy levels in Area N return to normal, the bulkheads will open up no matter what. It's impossible to do anything about it on the outside.}
{I see...!}

Natsuhiko was discouraged-- but then he suddenly realized something. There was no point in delaying the opening of the bulkheads in the first place.

They were given the option of dying in the explosion if they stayed inside, or facing Security Sector 6 if they went outside.

(There's nowhere to escape...! Then should we go down to Area Zero and disarm the bomb!?)

But it was impossible to go down to Area Zero now.

{Mom. Is there any way to get down to Area Zero without retina authentication?}
{... There is one way. But it's a last resort...}
{What!?}
{I've had something prepared for a long time now as a trump card for Yuuri and the others: Hacking software to steal root authority from Brain Cell...!}
{Hacking software!?}
{It's a program I put together. With it, you can operate Brain Cell and freely use any of the facility's functionalities. It grants you the highest level of authority, allowing you to negate the security on any area.}
{Mom, why would you have such a thing...!?}

But at that moment, Natsuhiko recalled what he had heard in Yuuri's memory.

Huh?
Truth be told, I've been secretly advancing preparations for such a plan. It's not something I can do alone, so it'll be a difficult journey... but one day, for sure...

{Mom, where's that program!?}

{It works by plugging Brain Cell into that ARMS unit.}

{If you use those authentication screens, you can steal root authority.}
{I see... that's easy enough to understand.}
{But there are two things to note. First, Brain Cell consists of three control systems that observe each other. You must operate those three control terminals at the same time. One person alone cannot operate it. Three people are necessary to steal root authority. Remember that.}
{Yeah, we can manage if it's just three people. I've got Yuuri and Salyu with me, anyway.}
{Good. Then there's one more thing to note. Even if you steal root authority illegitimately, the system will reclaim it immediately.}

Ukita had said something to that effect once before. The use of hacking software would apparently not make a difference in hacking attempts.

{The software can only steal root authority for about 30 seconds... Try to use that time to negate Area Zero's security.}
{Okay, got it.}

So in other words, to get down to Area Zero-- Three of them had to steal root authority from Brain Cell in the control room and negate Area Zero's security.

(It's a do-or-die plan... but we've got no other choice.) {Thanks, Mom. We'll try.}
{Do your best, Natsuhiko. I'll do as much as I can in the meantime.}
{What are you going to do?}
{I'll try to find a way to clear through Security Sector 6's siege before the bulkheads open.}
{Can you? Neither LABO nor Security Sector 6 would side with you, would they?}
{But the rescue squad people at least aren't in the pockets of the Rokumei City government. The fire department's an independent organization. So I might be able to persuade the rescue squad.}
{Wait, are you sure you'll be fine? Wouldn't that put you under the eye of the city government too--?]
{It's okay... it's only fitting punishment for my crimes.}
{Huh..?}
{Natsuhiko, you see... Somewhere in the back of my mind, I was waiting for this day to come. I've been passively watching LABO's decay for all this time. So this might also be a good opportunity for me to--}

The professor's voice out off there.

{Mom, I can't hear you!}
{--h no! Looks like the energy level's finally reached its...-- ...-- you while I still have the chance!}

In an instant, the professor's thoughts cranked out at high speed to send a message.

{I don't know if I can succeed, but I know I can try, and I will try as hard as I can for you all! You and all the children confined in LABO are precious to me! You're more important to me than anyone! You're my children! I love you, Natsuhiko! I swear--... outside--...}
{Mom! Mom!?}

Natsuhiko called out to the professor.

Mom... no, that's crazy...!

Yuuri and Salyu gasped at that utterance.

What happened with the professor?
Crazy? What's happening outside?
Security Sector 6 has the place surrounded. And Mom's opposing them to try and clear a path for us. Even though she might be killed for that...!

It was a very real possibility, and not just paranoia. His mother probably thought the same thing, which was why she hadn't taken any action before today. But Yuuri--

...I'm sure the professor will do it.
Huh...?
Let me ask you something, Hikorin. Why do you think the professor worked so hard at her research to necessitate staying overnight at LABO almost every day? One subject of her research was to 'increase the lifespan of Communicators'.
W... what...!?
The reason for the shortness of Communicator lifespans is their high susceptibility to cancer and brain disease. But the professor spent all her days trying to find a way to inhibit those two causes of death. She called in gene therapy experts as external guests for joint research... She worked herself to the bone to extend our lives. For nearly ten whole years...

Natsuhiko's heart throbbed in pain. He recalled the words the professor had said when they met just yesterday.

...I'm trying my hardest just for you...!
What do you mean, Mom? Does it have anything to do with what's going on now!?
Not at all. Though I do think one day the time will come when we can talk about it...

(I knew nothing, and yet I went off on a tirade and hurt my own mother...!!)

Natsuhiko finally understood the meaning of his mother's tears. The professor could not reveal her true intentions to even her own son. For doing so would be the same as condemning him to a deadly fate. Therefore, she had kept everything sealed away in her heart-- and dedicated her entire life to research to save Natsuhiko and the others. As Natsuhiko froze in shock, Yuuri gently whispered to him.

...Hikorin, don't blame yourself so much. The professor said it wasn't your fault. She admitted it was true that she left her son all alone. But well, you see, the professor... really treasures you, Hikorin. Through her research on lifespan extension, it appears she's found something that could possibly inhibit our susceptibility to cancer.

Tips posted:

TIP: Tumor suppressor gene
Category: Includes fiction

Refers to a class of genes that are said to function in the inhibition of carcinogenesis. Tumor suppressor genes that have been discovered include p53, PTC, SDHD, and others.

The IGF2R gene is said to perhaps be one as well. BC abilities come about as a result of IGF2R gene mutations. Communicators have also been found to have mutations in some of the other aforementioned tumor suppressor genes, leading some to believe there is a connection with those mutations and the Communicator's short lifespan-- that is, high susceptibility to cancer. This truth is hidden from the general public. Secret research is being done to extend Communicator lifespans, including gene therapy, which very well may necessitate the forfeiture of BC ability. In that case, for what purpose exactly does BC exist? Why are some humans born with that ability? Many particle physicists, geneticists, brain physiologists... and even philosophers and linguists see BC as a pressing issue.

Huh...!?
The professor's ten years of devotion may very well pay off with the extension of all Communicator lifespans. There's no mom more amazing than that...!
...You're right...!

Intense regret pressed down on Natsuhiko's heart. But he withstood it.

(Now's not the time to wallow in regret...!)

Now was the time to protect the lives his mother risked to connect-- their own lives. To escape alive and apologize to her.

Hikorin, let's go see the professor. Our Mom...

Natsuhiko strongly nodded at those words.

...Then first, we need to regroup with Watase and the others.
Yes... it's about time we returned to the shelter.
Yeah, I'll go check his current location.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

And with that, Natsuhiko tried using Senses Sympathy on Watase. --But connecting with Watase had become difficult as well. Natsuhiko intensified his concentration and used his ability.

(Watase, where are you right now...?)

--at that instant, Watase's intense agony propagated to Natsuhiko.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Yeah, this is the scene I thought it was. Now just imagine Miyoko in the lobby with her head against the ground that whole time, with the security and everyone looking at her oddly.

Also, I totally forgot they actually mentioned the thing about the research here.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 13, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah. That's exactly what I expected. Honestly it's so goddamn rote that I can't even get upset over it. My one piece of advice is that if you feel like this tugs at your heartstrings, then go back to the previous chapters and reread how Miyako treated Natsuhiko.
That's the ptoblem with this trope in Japanese media, it only works in one direction. It hopes that by the time you get to the twist, that the wise older generation had a method to their madness (and it is a twist), you would have fogotten exactly what was said and done. You just remembered how much you disliked the character. So when this twist happens, oh poo poo you were just as wrong as the mistreated character don't you feel silly I think there's a lesson to be learned in that you know...
If you go back and reread what the character did though, you usually lose the sympathy you have for them, because shocker, they were still an rear end in a top hat.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why is everyone hating on Miyoko even though she's trying to help Natsu and co. escape, avoid/escape Security Sector 6, gave Salyu a normal life outside the lab, tried to keep Natsu from having A SEVERE PSYCHOTIC BREAKDOWN FROM GRIEF, and dozens of other things that probably would have gone way, way worse if she WASN'T around?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

#hottake incoming: If Ukita was replaced with Miyoko on Team Terrorists, they'd have managed to pull the plan off without a hitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Junpei posted:

Why is everyone hating on Miyoko even though she's trying to help Natsu and co. escape, avoid/escape Security Sector 6, gave Salyu a normal life outside the lab, tried to keep Natsu from having A SEVERE PSYCHOTIC BREAKDOWN FROM GRIEF, and dozens of other things that probably would have gone way, way worse if she WASN'T around?

Because what they're doing is a lovely VN trope, Junpei. It's character development by way of audience guilt trip. And it's used as tacit approval of absentee parenting in real life, which is lovely as gently caress.

You're also ignoring the context of what she did and for how long she did it. She spent most of Natsuhiko's formative years, during which he has intense mental damage and was hallucinating a BC ghost, away from him. Knowing full well he had maybe 25 years to live, she instead chose to throw herself into research instead of being a goddamn parent. Like I really want to emphasize the point, she's not his aunt, she's his mom. This is not an excuse.

And let's suppose she did find a cure to let Natsuhiko live longer. What now? Oh thanks mom you're cool all sins forgiven? The two are almost perfect strangers.
And if she didn't? Well her kid would die from brain cancer and she would realize she knew nothing about her own son. Of course this is Miyako we're talking about so SHE'D FEEL REALLY BAD ABOUT IT but SHE DID HER BEST and there was ultimately NOTHING THAT COULD BE DONE.

In fact gently caress it. My prediction for the ending: Miyako eats it from one of the people with guns, Natsuhiko uses SSS to read her memories and we'll see that SHE REALLY DID THINK ABOUT HIM ALL THE TIME when she did her reasearch, and that just before the fire broke out she was on the cusp of discovery. She then dies and Ukita takes up the torch, perfecting the cure and letting Natsuhiko have a life. Natsuhiko will then reflect about how he never really understood his mom and that this might be why we need BC to really be able to commu-you get the loving point.
And thus the guilt trip aimed at the audience will be complete.

• Locked thread