Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't really think it's super confusing that what's likely the second boss in the game is easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its like... not even a boss. False knight is 10x more difficult. Its much easier than everything, idk why.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

skasion posted:

Soul Tyrant is ez. Stand right at the entrance of the arena. Don’t move horizontally, only jump to avoid his orbs/charges, hit him once or twice when he comes in range, use howling wraiths as necessary. It’s not exactly thrilling but it’s a lot safer than running around the middle of the room.

I do the same. The real trick for me is remembering that I need to only jump over one of the orbs that circles him as he floats screen right toward you. I think in Master or Tyrant mode (been a while since I fought Tyrant) only one of the 4/6 orbs can hit you standing there.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The thing about Soul Tyrant that got me is after he dives down into the second room and only uses two attacks. Trying to fight that immediately after Soul Master with the starting nail, 6 masks, no shadow dash, and basically no charms I kept dying to attrition before I could finish him off.
Then I went back after getting the upgraded spells and wrecked him.

The actual fight against Soul Tyrant is pretty enjoyable and totally reasonable to fight aggressively with only the basic kit, but it did take forever and dying to the end stage multiple times was pretty disheartening.

No Wave posted:

Its like... not even a boss. False knight is 10x more difficult. Its much easier than everything, idk why.
Do you count the giant vengefly eating Zote as a boss as well? They're both more like minibosses. You can even refight both of them in the arena.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No, the vengefly doesnt have white text that appears dramatically. Gruzzmommy does. I wouldn't even call her a boss if that text wasn't there.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
As someone who always waits till all the DLC is out before he plays something ( because I don't tend to come back to poo poo, and want to play it all at once. ) someone sell me on playing this now before Gods and Glory comes out?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there's more coming after that so you're going to be waiting a really long time

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Rookersh posted:

As someone who always waits till all the DLC is out before he plays something ( because I don't tend to come back to poo poo, and want to play it all at once. ) someone sell me on playing this now before Gods and Glory comes out?

It's very easily one of the best games of the last several years of any genre and easily in the top five of all time in its genre (don't make me say Metroidvania). Most importantly, it's ridiculously wide open and that means there's about a million different ways to get through it, so when the final DLC(s) do come out, you can play through it totally differently anyway.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rookersh posted:

the True Gaming Experience is to get on the ground floor so you can experience the game at each iterative stage-- don't miss out before it's too late!!!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rookersh posted:

It's good enough that you'll probably want to play it more than once anyway.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The wait for the Switch version is growing increasingly unbearable. I will continue to wait because gently caress being contained to my computer desk.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

The wait for the Switch version is growing increasingly unbearable. I will continue to wait because gently caress being contained to my computer desk.

Get a laptop if that's what's bothering you.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I found and beat the path of pain, and all I can say is ow gently caress my fingers.

It was good and I could feel myself getting better at it as I progressed, even though it was pretty frustrating at points. I breezed through the rest of White Palace this time as well.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Mymla posted:

Get a laptop if that's what's bothering you.

I dunno about the above poster, but I was told not to run games on my old laptop since there's a good chance the graphics card might just up and die :gonk: On the plus side, I'm planning on getting a new one sometime next month.

I still want the goddang Switch version though, playing with a handheld console will be much better than having to play on a laptop.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I know the switch release has hype but I have trouble imagining the backgrounds and particle/envitonmental effects on the switch's little 1280x720 screen. I imagine the best way to play it will always be on a big screen with a controller.

Not snobbery, I think celeste or any mcmillen game would be perfect on the switch, just this one has so much detail in the graphics.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

morcant posted:

I dunno about the above poster, but I was told not to run games on my old laptop since there's a good chance the graphics card might just up and die :gonk: On the plus side, I'm planning on getting a new one sometime next month.

I still want the goddang Switch version though, playing with a handheld console will be much better than having to play on a laptop.

I play the game on a laptop without a dedicated video card. It is not a graphically demanding game despite being really pretty.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Hey I finally got the speedrun achievements!

So if I were to go for Speed Completion, what would you recommend cutting out? Trial of the Fool obviously, but what else?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

fractalairduct posted:

Hey I finally got the speedrun achievements!

So if I were to go for Speed Completion, what would you recommend cutting out? Trial of the Fool obviously, but what else?

By speed completion do you mean just finishing the game as fast as possible with no regard to %?
If so you don't need to touch Kingdom's Edge, Ancient Basin or Queen's Gardens at all. Some very finicky trick jumps are involved but it's doable.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

OzFactor posted:

I play the game on a laptop without a dedicated video card. It is not a graphically demanding game despite being really pretty.

Oh, for sure. I've played it on this laptop with no problems before, but after I got the battery fixed, the technician informed me that my model + year's graphics card has a tendency to way overheat and could just cook the machine. Considering that it does get extremely hot sometimes, and the weird graphical flickers I see sometimes, I'm gonna play it safe until I get a new one. I have a gaming PC anyway, but that ties me to my desk.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Speed completion is Speedrun 100%. Which these days means you can miss some stuff because the game goes up to 106%.

The things that I think are the best time saves are:
- Barely starting the Grimm quest (so you get the pet charm), but otherwise not progressing at all - this means you miss 2% (1% Grimm, 1% Nightmare)
- Not getting the last nail upgrade - so you can miss out out on up to 3 pale ores that might be time consuming to get. The one at top of crystal caverns might be a good choice.
- Not having max HP - you can miss up to 4 masks, and only miss out on 1%... so no need to do flower quest
- 2400 essence - unless I'm mistaken, the dream bosses don't actually contribute completion percentage. You'll probably have to defeat one of them to awaken the dream nail, but you don't need the rest.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah, that seems like a good place to start from. Thanks!

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Radiance doesn't count for % completion, and isn't required for Speed Completion in general, so you should be able to skip White Palace to cut out the 1% for completing Kingsoul. You might still want to visit north QG with shade cloak though, since Traitor Lord is worth 1% on their own.

If skipping White Palace, you could also consider skipping Awoken Dream Nail. You'd have to make up that 1% elsewhere from the list of ideas, but then you only need 1500 if you're going for HP #9 or 900 for Dreamgate (which isn't worth % but indispensible for going fast).

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah, I'm going to leave the more difficult stuff like white palace for last, then i can pick the best options from them to make up that last few percent. For the moment I'm just going around collecting charms and clearing out bosses.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the trick to squishing this fat sorcerous rear end in a top hat he keeps charging me and I can't jump over him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Turtlicious posted:

What is the trick to squishing this fat sorcerous rear end in a top hat he keeps charging me and I can't jump over him.

pogo off his head with your nail

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bought this game on a whim a few months ago expecting a fun little indie platformer and holy moly this was way WAY more than I was expecting. Genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. The entire experience is extremely tight and well thought-out. The developers clearly both knew what they were doing plus had the time to fully execute their vision. I just 'beat' the game at only 63% and am excited to see that there's still a bunch more game left.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

Bought this game on a whim a few months ago expecting a fun little indie platformer and holy moly this was way WAY more than I was expecting. Genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. The entire experience is extremely tight and well thought-out. The developers clearly both knew what they were doing plus had the time to fully execute their vision. I just 'beat' the game at only 63% and am excited to see that there's still a bunch more game left.

I played Dead Cells before trying this and it just ruined the combat/movement for me. This game's combat is so floaty and simple in comparison.

Otherwise it's a great game and I finished it almost 100%, have to go back to see the rest of the content still. I really like how you almost constantly feel lost but the maps are very well done and you can get back on track easily. Also they do all the sidepaths in a player-friendly way where you usually can tell what is the main path and what is a additional treasure etc. route.

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 18, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hollow Knight is the first Metroidvania that I've played in a long time where I truly felt that there were multiple valid paths through the game, which makes the world feel a lot bigger than it actually ends up being. With lots of other games in this genre I feel like you have to know what you're doing already or be able to game the mechanics in order to deviate from the prescribed path, but Hollow Knight doesn't really give you an intended path after Fungal Wastes or so (and even then someone will post about splitting off even earlier than that)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Hollow Knight is the first Metroidvania that I've played in a long time where I truly felt that there were multiple valid paths through the game, which makes the world feel a lot bigger than it actually ends up being. With lots of other games in this genre I feel like you have to know what you're doing already or be able to game the mechanics in order to deviate from the prescribed path, but Hollow Knight doesn't really give you an intended path after Fungal Wastes or so (and even then someone will post about splitting off even earlier than that)

If nothing else, there's two obvious routes into the Fungal Wastes.

I feel like the game kind of holds your hand until you get to the City of Tears, but from there it just gives you some tools (Desolate Dive, the key for the sewers, the nail upgrade, and it's around then you'll reasonably have enough money for the lantern) and lets you figure out for yourself where to use them.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

I feel like the game kind of holds your hand until you get to the City of Tears, but from there it just gives you some tools (Desolate Dive, the key for the sewers, the nail upgrade, and it's around then you'll reasonably have enough money for the lantern) and lets you figure out for yourself where to use them.

I was a dipshit and used the key to unlock Jinn because i thought that door MUST have unlocked something like a third of the game just like the graveyard near the fire link shrine in dark souls :haw:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Hell I missed Dive the first time around until super late in the game and it didn't really affect my playthrough. I think the true first branching point is fungal wastes, cause once you have both the dash and the wall jump you can go to most places and find at least some stuff to do. I don't think its common but I imagine its possible at least some players never found the city until a bit later in the game. Especially if they were able to beat mantis lords without the nail upgrade and went straight into deepnest right after.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I played Dead Cells before trying this and it just ruined the combat/movement for me. This game's combat is so floaty and simple in comparison.

Hollow Knight is "floaty" because you're expected to use jumps and a dash to avoid enemy attacks. Dead Cells gives you an i-frame roll right from the start instead and your character is a lot more grounded since you need to rely on that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah the point where I think the game really opens up is when you get to the big Hollow Knight statue in City of Tears, but even then if you're stubborn enough you can beat the Mantis Lords without the first nail upgrade then get all the way through Deepnest and take the tram to Kingdom's Edge and get into City of Tears that way. It's a good game!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Just finished the game at 100% and beat the Radiance. I almost feel disappointed by that last fight based on how hard some people were saying she was supposed to be. Nothing really came at you too fast for you to react and she rarely gets up in your face and forces you to make a mistake. As long as you stay patient and take your swipes when you can it's a pretty low-stress fight. I managed to beat her on my third try.

Anyways now I'm gonna take a break for a bit and will consider doing a steel soul run. It became way less intimidating once I realized I can just pause and reload the game whenever things get too spicy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hey this game's out on switch right now

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Also, the Switch trailer has some new Gods & Glory stuff at the end.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Switch crew reporting in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tau Wedel posted:

Also, the Switch trailer has some new Gods & Glory stuff at the end.

Oh drat all the Nailsages are probably gonna be bosses then

That's loving cool

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I would be stunned if the new mode isn’t a boss rush mode at this point.

I played on PC but am glad the switch version is out so they can finally finish the content pack and eventually the hornet dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
About drat time!