Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

everdave posted:

That furnace looks so cool! And I love the cladding. Great work. So what about the shed figure it out?

Haven't had a chance (and the motivation) yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Buddleja Delenda Est. Those things grow like crazy and will spawn hundreds of new plants. Their roots are awful to get rid of and they can gently caress up your pipes. Terminate with extreme prejudice imho.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Package arrived.

It's my """free""" gift from the wood stove people for registering my warranty.

Meanwhile, started the sketches for the landscapers.

So that's the "before" sorted, next'll be some planning and drawing up an "after", then send them both off.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A box of wood and... flamers? Really? I guess it's nice to give a package to folks who may be unfamiliar with a fireplace when you sell them one. I'm spoiled living where trees fall over regularly enough that we have a big wood pile and only a bit of roof and gutter damage from branches hitting the house.

You're pretty good at art and I can read your handwriting. I can't claim the same.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today I checked on the shed for the neighbour. My findings:

1. The bolts/screws that I think are holding it down are rusted in, so I'd need the angle grinder to take them out
2. I'm only about 70% sure they're what's holding it down
3. If we did remove it and move it to the neighbour's, they'd be putting it on grass, and since it relies on the concrete base as a floor, I reckon a thief would just tip it over anyway (they wanted a metal shed to secure expensive fishing gear)
4. What I thought was rivets holding it all together turn out to be square-drive screws, so that'll make taking it apart easier for scrapping
5. The main skin of it is so thin I reckon I could kick through it if I put my boots on.

I spoke to the neighbour and we agreed it's not worth the trouble.

I also separately dug up some more offcut cladding boards from stock to see if I could use them on the remaining parts of the wall. Some I can, most I can't.

I also reviewed my notes on planning permission and building regs. I realised that I have over 100sqm to work with, and the reason I picked 30sqm for the shop originally is because that's the max you can have before you need sign off from building control.

I don't mind getting sign-off in principle, but it costs close to a grand, which is money I could put elsewhere.

Rexxed posted:

A box of wood and... flamers? Really? I guess it's nice to give a package to folks who may be unfamiliar with a fireplace when you sell them one. I'm spoiled living where trees fall over regularly enough that we have a big wood pile and only a bit of roof and gutter damage from branches hitting the house.

They are really very insistent that you burn hardwood logs and are I assume happy to partner with a subscription log delivery service to give you the first taste for free.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 19, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

They are really very insistent that you burn hardwood logs and are I assume happy to partner with a subscription log delivery service to give you the first taste for free.
From a little googling it seems the 'burning pine will build up creosote in your chimney' myth has mostly been debunked and it actually has more to do with the temperature of the fire? Maybe they have some other reason for not wanting you to burn pine.

https://www.heatwhiz.com/burn-pine-in-wood-stove-fireplace/

I'd make your shop as large as is practical/affordable. You can never have too much shop space.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd make your shop as large as is practical/affordable. You can never have too much shop space.

Well, one thing I'd like to do is put my office out there, I think. And one way I can do that is to actually build two structures at once, so long as they're not the same building.

So then the question becomes, which is cheaper? Putting in two extra external walls, or paying for building control?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, one thing I'd like to do is put my office out there, I think. And one way I can do that is to actually build two structures at once, so long as they're not the same building.

So then the question becomes, which is cheaper? Putting in two extra external walls, or paying for building control?

What about heating? Would you want a heated workshop, and would it make sense to have a non-insulating wall between the workshop and office which might bring down the total heating cost in the long run? (I have no idea, this might be nonsense.)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

nielsm posted:

What about heating? Would you want a heated workshop, and would it make sense to have a non-insulating wall between the workshop and office which might bring down the total heating cost in the long run? (I have no idea, this might be nonsense.)

It would probably be a single AC/heating unit, with two interior units, but now you mention it I'm sure that would account for a good chunk of that cost difference.

This is assuming that it's possible to heat/cool two interior rooms more cost effectively within the same structure.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I wanted to adjust my hole drilling tool, and in order to do that I had to adjust another hole drilling tool.

I don't have the exact numbers on me, but the quill had something like 0.2mm of play at the chuck, and 0.35mm runout, which when magnified by the length of the drill bit means I was drilling at least 1mm oversize.

Checked the drive gears, almost no runout, which is good.

The drill does have a spindle play adjustment screw, so I adjusted it, and that took out most of the play and reduced the runout. Good.

The runout at the start and end of the drill were both less than that of the chuck, so that's good too.

Still going to cut a little oversize, but close enough for woodworking.

Thence, redrilled the alignment tool so that the pivot point was more central, and moved the level out of the way, recalibrating it.

Progress.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's now been 3 weeks since I paid the sawmill for the oak and not a peep out of them. Kinda cements my plan to use light character oak from local mills for everything else.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A rainy day, stopped off to fix the front door, as it's been leaning to the left, and catching on the frame a bit. Middle hinge being pulled a little out of shape too.

Remove the hinge security screw to open the cover.

Adjusted all the way left, probably from wood movement? Straightened it up and locked it off. The lock on the middle hinge was violently screwed to "unlocked", so I locked that up too.

While I was at it, I still need to find a new screw for the third hinge, since it's been missing since installation.

I bought these boxes pretty much exclusively for this job and never got around to it.

I also bought these thread checkers pretty much exclusively for this job and never got around to it.

Conclusion: 24 gauge imperial screw. Awesome that both boxes I bought are metric..

Gonna have to go find some that will fit.

Put everything back, door is now balanced and doesn't catch anymore.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

First pass at the new garden layout. More detail to come soon, but hopefully enough to give an idea of the volumes I'm working with.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rather strong wind here tonight, and the scaffolding tower is still up, so while I've been keeping an eye on it and I'm 99.9% sure it's not going anywhere (and if it did it would be into my garden) I didn't want to take the chance, so I went out and a) moved the two stabilisers even lower so they're reaching way out and touching the ground, and b) added the other two in a similar fashion.

Useless for actually using (since I wouldn't be able to get it near the building) but I'm not sure I could tip that thing over with a skidloader.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Skylights getting a bit manky, partly where the protective covering was left on too long, partly where a builder scratched it.

I spoke with the manufacturer and they say pressure washing is OK, so I'm going to do that then get back to them about what (if anything) can be done about the scratches.

Meanwhile, I finished the sketch for the landscapers.

So this is the side-by-side.

I'll send copies off to the landscapers shortly.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

That's an incredibly detailed plan wow. I got a shed replaced, a patio laid and a fence/gate replaced with what was essentially waving a hand in the general direction and the guys writing about three lines in the quote then turning up and cracking on with more or less whatever they seemed to think was a good idea. It worked but a couple of bits area little bit.... Off. Then again the patio looked so good the neighbour got them to build her one while they were there.

Also, as a suggestion, maybe put somewhere near the side gate to store the bins if you don't have somewhere out front already.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

That's an incredibly detailed plan wow. I got a shed replaced, a patio laid and a fence/gate replaced with what was essentially waving a hand in the general direction and the guys writing about three lines in the quote then turning up and cracking on with more or less whatever they seemed to think was a good idea. It worked but a couple of bits area little bit.... Off. Then again the patio looked so good the neighbour got them to build her one while they were there.

That's broadly what happens usually but there's a few reasons I did it this way.

1. They needed a sketch of some kind to get an idea of the size of the job for booking in time; it's quite a big task
2. There's planning permission and buulding regulatio rules that mean I need to keep track of distances from boundaries and footprint
3. It helps me think things through and spot errors in my thinking
4. I enjoy it :)

Also, as a suggestion, maybe put somewhere near the side gate to store the bins if you don't have somewhere out front already.

Fortunately I have space out front for that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Dog washing station is A-OK by me.
:luca:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Love your drawings. You keeping the new workshop inside permitted development restrictions or something? Still, that's a whole other building.

Also you've missed the hot tub.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Love your drawings. You keeping the new workshop inside permitted development restrictions or something? Still, that's a whole other building.

Within permitted development, but large enough to need building control.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also you've missed the hot tub.

And the fire pit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm the semi-wild growth + habitats.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

frog trenches aren't just for the somme

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

How do raised planters work against a fence? Like a stand alone fence then a fully separate planter just up against it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How do raised planters work against a fence? Like a stand alone fence then a fully separate planter just up against it.

I suppose however you want to. I should really have said "raised beds", but nevermind. Such is the curse of pen on paper.

You could have the fence form the back wall of the bed, that's how the relatively small ones I currently have are done, I think, but then you're putting your faith in how long it'll take to rot the bottom of the fence.

Probably I'll wind up with fully 4-sided beds, just with the back plank butting up against the fence.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah the rotting the fence was my concern.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Gravel boards (concrete or super treated /dried) should work for just a bit of soil at the bottom to raise the level.

Edit: but whatever you do it'll get hosed up eventually. This is what I tell myself when I do a bad job anyway "it'd have ended up like that eventually!".

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 29, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Edit: but whatever you do it'll get hosed up eventually. This is what I tell myself when I do a bad job anyway "it'd have ended up like that eventually!".

You must get on well with the heat death of the universe, then.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

You must get on well with the heat death of the universe, then.

Sometimes the best way to avoid total despair is to just accept the inevitable. And drinking.

This also helps with gardening in general.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The oak for the staircase arrives on Friday. I guess I'll need to get ready to sticker it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wow I love your outdoor yard (garden) plan.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

These quick & dirty angle jigs still feel a little gross to do, because there's not enough reason to make a really solid one, and the less than solid ones wind up with accidental holes in my table, and feeling edgy at the table saw. Oh well, they work, and are used infrequently.

Finished this wall.

Still this one to do.

And these to finish sanding, refix, and oil.

When it stops raining, that is.

You can see the difference between new and restored, though with oil on them all it may even out the difference.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

No work on the cladding as it has been raining constantly. There's no guarantee it'll stop long enough before the spring.

No matter, other things to do. Screws arrived. Looks good!

Finally the hinge covers are locked closed.

Also, I very often forget things that I've organised, so I wasn't prepared when the oak for the stairs arrived.

Got it all inside. 12 boards as ordered, plus a couple of offcuts.

Stickered up. The finish is planed, not rough sawn like I asked for, which means I either got more machining than I paid for, or I paid for more machining than I asked for, but either way I'm not going back to these guys.

Leave it to acclimatise for a couple of weeks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

:grovertoot:

That is some nice looking wood! If you have enough sticks, I would put three sticks per board-1 right at each end and one in the middle. Maybe not a big concern since that stuff looks thick and isn’t that long, but long stuff will droop if it’s not supported on the ends.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:grovertoot:

That is some nice looking wood! If you have enough sticks, I would put three sticks per board-1 right at each end and one in the middle. Maybe not a big concern since that stuff looks thick and isn’t that long, but long stuff will droop if it’s not supported on the ends.

Yeah I was thinking the same but I don't have a lot, if I dig around I can likely find some though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You can never have too many. It’s the only use I have for pallet wood.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Happy now, slave driver?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Amazed you didn't square the edges up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Amazed you didn't square the edges up.

Too tired, they're very heavy.

I did move the more warped boards to the bottom, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gonna do a materials run for another shop infrastructure project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Happy now, slave driver?

:discourse: