Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s probably one of those 5-season plans that’s a sentence for each season. It’s best to be open about having a rough idea, but I can see why they say things like that. Maybe it’s even part of selling a show now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I seem to recall that they had 2-3 seasons planned but the studio wanted 5 seasons.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

*Gilligan's Island theme*
"A five-season plan, a five-season plan"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

angerbot posted:

I seem to recall that they had 2-3 seasons planned but the studio wanted 5 seasons.

Regular reminder that this series is on Showtime, the network infamous for stretching and padding out shows until you find yourself wondering why you ever liked them in the first place.

Hell, with this show they arguably did it in record time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, Weeds.

Every time it was close to being ended forever it got this burst of energy, like it was so happy to be over that it would put a lot of energy into it and get excited and start being a good show again. And then it would get renewed and everyone just seemed even more exhausted than last time.

Season Six is legit good. Imagine watching season five to get there though.

Imagine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha Weeds got so bad I refused to finish Breaking Bad for like 15 years. I was afraid they were gonna do what Weeds did. And they did, but it turned out to be good television instead. Television that's a huge bummer and I don't really want to ever watch again or revisit any of the characters, but good TV technically.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Seems like everything is explained by cabin fever and cargo culting the symbol, which appears to be a small map of the area, above and below ground, drawn by a dude who also got cabin fever and shot himself. Lottie was bringing javi food and going down into the tunnels or mine where he was hiding, telling him not to come back. Lottie isn't evil or possessed, just schizophrenic.

Anyway the mine or whatever clearly is strongly ferromagnetic and may have caused the plane crash or contributed to it. Same deal with the birds. As for the "emergency transmitter" that misty destroyed, if she did actually break that, a lot of them don't work anyway lol

season 2 wasn't as bad as people said but it didn't reveal much

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The original pitch for the series was what would happen in a Lord of the Flies scenario with teenage girls, with a lot of focus on how an all-woman group would be most likely to break down and go nuts, which would seem to exclude the reality of the supernatural being a real possibility while emphasizing how girls might be more likely to fixate on supernatural things they’ve been socialized to care about (dream visions, fate, fortune-telling, spirits etc).

At least, the creators said they got the idea from a terrible pitch document that was never picked up for an adaptation of Lord of the Flies with an all-female cast that was no different from the original.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Do they have a number of seasons in mind? Or is this one of those things where Showtime will drag it out as long as people are mildly interested?

I think we call those “Showtime shows”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When did Showtime abandon gratuitous nudity as a signature part of their series?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Probably when they made it a show about a bunch of high school girls. Shoulda shot their shot during the adult Shauna affair arc.

My money is on Jeff being the first one to drop trou.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
drat, I'd marry jeff in a heartbeat. Husband of the century

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The delay on this has managed to completely kill any buzz around it. Along with the second series being rubbish

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cranappleberry posted:

drat, I'd marry jeff in a heartbeat. Husband of the century

Just because he owns this website?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

smellmycheese posted:

The delay on this has managed to completely kill any buzz around it. Along with the second series being rubbish

Yeah.

I've been getting a lot of "ACTUALLY, the ending of :lost: was good" tiktoks lately and I don't know why but it's making me feel like I'm going insane. I mean I've made peace with it, but the wounds are still there.

I can see a similar post-mortem trajectory for this show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was pretty ambivalent about the Lost finale. Some people like it some people don’t. If they hadn’t been building to a big reveal that wasn’t really telegraphed then it probably would have been fine in general. I think it was a cop out but whatever. I don’t see why people need to validate something they like but a majority didn’t care for. IE: the prequel Star Wars Trilogy.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Not that this is the Lost thread, but I think people watching it now as a binge get a very different experience than those watching it week to week year to year. I am sure the ending hits different when you've only invested the (admittedly, fair bit of) time to actually watch the episodes without year long gaps between seasons or week(s) between episodes.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just because he owns this website?

He's super supportive and clearly deeply in love with Shawna but obviously codependent. He's so supportive that even when her destructive behaviors threatens them both and he's clearly not all right with what she is doing, he goes along with it for the most part.

When Shawna reads their daughter in without consulting him, he takes an emotional stand because the whole point of them being parents is to protect their kid, not drag the kid into their problems, even if the kid is already affected by it. He tells Shawna to leave (which is smart) and then when he sees the cult people with his daughter in the car, he leaves immediately. Kinda the point- he still has a sense of what is okay and normal even though Shawna is pushing their boundaries to an insane degree.

Even if the cult people are more an emotional support group... how they are going about it is not at all right or okay.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

carticket posted:

Not that this is the Lost thread, but I think people watching it now as a binge get a very different experience than those watching it week to week year to year. I am sure the ending hits different when you've only invested the (admittedly, fair bit of) time to actually watch the episodes without year long gaps between seasons or week(s) between episodes.

Yeah I was one of the weirdos watching each episode multiple times, participating in the ARGs, endlessly dissecting it on forums, etc. I can't even wrap my brain around what a background/on my phone most of the time binge watch would be like for that show.

I do have some friends who have done a rewatch in recent years and they say it holds up pretty well, but I don't know if that's the same if you're going in cold.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I remember when fans were convinced that Cloverfield was a secret Lost movie that would reveal some sort of big connection.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lost works much better on a binge watch where you don't spend weeks and months theorising and analysing over explanations that were either so obvious everyone figured it out quickly or weren't half-assed by the writers with unsatisfying answers, which just lets you enjoy spending time with all the fun characters

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

I've been getting a lot of "ACTUALLY, the ending of :lost: was good" tiktoks lately and I don't know why but it's making me feel like I'm going insane. I mean I've made peace with it, but the wounds are still there.

I can see a similar post-mortem trajectory for this show.

I haven't watched Lost but I feel like I've noticed a bump of people talking about it online in the last year or so, though I think I've noticed a bit more of a mixed reaction to the show.

For what it's worth, on a semi-related note I was a huge BSG fan, watched every episode as it aired, really disliked its similarly-controversial finale at the time, but in the years since I've warmed on it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I really need to watch BSG

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

fullroundaction posted:

I really need to watch BSG

When it's good, it's really good. But it also suffered from the curse of the traditional 22~ episode seasons, and really struggled with filling all of that time, especially in later seasons.

Fun fact, an actress on the show asked to have her character killed off so that she could focus full time on her role in the NXIVM cult.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I stopped watching Lost a few episodes into its original airing, when it became apparent that it was going to be about cliffhanger paranormal crap and not the logistics of building a society, which is what I was interested in. (And yes, I have the same complaint about Yellowjackets, but it's not as acute and I find the YJ characters more interesting.)

But I *have* been toying with the idea of binging it with my boyfriend now that I know a fair bit about the overall arc of the show, just from cultural osmosis. I agree that it seems like it'd be much more tolerable when you're not waiting months and years with no idea whether questions will even be answered, let alone what the answers are.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Propaniac posted:

I stopped watching Lost a few episodes into its original airing, when it became apparent that it was going to be about cliffhanger paranormal crap and not the logistics of building a society, which is what I was interested in. (And yes, I have the same complaint about Yellowjackets, but it's not as acute and I find the YJ characters more interesting.)

But I *have* been toying with the idea of binging it with my boyfriend now that I know a fair bit about the overall arc of the show, just from cultural osmosis. I agree that it seems like it'd be much more tolerable when you're not waiting months and years with no idea whether questions will even be answered, let alone what the answers are.

Where Lost failed was that watching the whole thing, they were clearly lying the entire time when they said they had a plan.

Where they succeeded was the chemistry in the cast. I rewatched it for the first time during the pandemic, and as bitter as I was for feeling burned by the finale, but I had forgotten how much I loved all of these characters.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s a reason it was so popular it was something so original and new. It had some great characters and some good mysteries. If nothing else I think it’s required TV viewing history. It was revelatory at the time. It changed how TV was made.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Where Lost failed was that watching the whole thing, they were clearly lying the entire time when they said they had a plan.

It’s that thing that’s come up in this thread before, where they had some story beats worked out, but not to a level of depth sufficient to actually know where everything would go. Each season could be an index card with three sentences: Season 3–they get rescued; season 4–back to the island; season 5–final confrontation with the monster.

When they said they knew from the first season what the last shot of the series would be, I believe that because the last shot is Jack closing his eye, which bookends the pilot’s opening but is out of step with what the show became, where Jack was not really a focal point for the narrative such that the end of the series should be his death.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

When they said they knew from the first season what the last shot of the series would be, I believe that because the last shot is Jack closing his eye, which bookends the pilot’s opening but is out of step with what the show became, where Jack was not really a focal point for the narrative such that the end of the series should be his death.

Originally they had cast Michael Keaton in the role of Jack, and they planned for him to die in the very first episode.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If y'all are going to binge one Lindloff show, make it the goddamn Leftovers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s that thing that’s come up in this thread before, where they had some story beats worked out, but not to a level of depth sufficient to actually know where everything would go. Each season could be an index card with three sentences: Season 3–they get rescued; season 4–back to the island; season 5–final confrontation with the monster.

Nah, they were lying through their teeth. There was an interview where they admitted that they deferred the big end of season one reveal for so long -- into season two -- because there was furious debate as to whether the island was secretly a spaceship or not. They had no plan.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, they were lying through their teeth. There was an interview where they admitted that they deferred the big end of season one reveal for so long -- into season two -- because there was furious debate as to whether the island was secretly a spaceship or not. They had no plan.

if I had heard that the island on lost was actually a spaceship I might have started watching

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I'm sure lost is great. I'm not gonna watch it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

TIP posted:

if I had heard that the island on lost was actually a spaceship I might have started watching

this was how they ended up going with the american remake of life on mars, because the title has to be LITERAL right?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If y'all are going to binge one Lindloff show, make it the goddamn Leftovers.

:emptyquote:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

When it's good, it's really good. But it also suffered from the curse of the traditional 22~ episode seasons, and really struggled with filling all of that time, especially in later seasons.

Fun fact, an actress on the show asked to have her character killed off so that she could focus full time on her role in the NXIVM cult.

I listened to the official Battlestar Galacticast podcast with Tricia Helfer over the pandemic and she studiously avoided talking about Nicki Clyne, and the one time she came up just trying to move on as quickly as possible.

Actually just now remembered that Grace Park was also involved in NXIVM.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This reminds me of the people who thought that Westworld was going to retcon Game of Thrones into actually being one of the other 'worlds' in the park.

Which I guess did kind of get a nod in Westworld S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Nikumatic posted:

this was how they ended up going with the american remake of life on mars, because the title has to be LITERAL right?

jesus christ i didn't know that was how the US one went down.