Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Even if it is made of people, the psycho war god feels like the worst possible fit for eating so much government cheese you start seeing demons

Startch for the Starch God, Corpses for the Corpse Grinder I chant as Khorne Ram'say manifests its nightmare visage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Corpse grinders are mean in game, almost oppressively. Melees really powerful and they are good at it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Even if it is made of people, the psycho war god feels like the worst possible fit for eating so much government cheese you start seeing demons

well the issue is that they start skipping the "turn them into starch" step and are getting all ripped on peoplesteak

oh yeah also they'll sometimes find centuries-old caches of corpse starch in underground planetary defense bunkers and whatnot that's grown mold and, if you process it right, you can make a drug called Ghast that makes you temporarily psychic and also frequently insane

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 14, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gripweed posted:

Some Raven Guard absolutely do have paranormal powers of not being seen, echoes of Corvus’s power where he could literally just not be noticed when he didn’t want to be.

Custodes don’t. But there really are a lot of big guys in the galaxy. Goliath gangers from Necromunda take super steroids that make them as big as Space Marines, VIPs can commission gene-jacked bodyguards who are just huge walls of muscle. And you have to remember that 99 percent of humanity has never even seen a Space Marine, and a similar number have never even heard of Custodes. So if you see a huge guy in a bar, you’re gonna assume he’s some mob enforcer type or something, not one of the Emperor’s own Angels.

Yeah the novel about the Lion’s return has a Fallen as a viewpoint character and he notes he usually passes himself off as a gene modded labourer or similar outside of his armour.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Goes without saying that there's a whole immense underclass of people grown for meat, which are fed to the people grown for skulls, which are fed to the space marines, which are fed to the Emperor

Nah, it's the psykers on the Black Ship who don't make the cut for useful purposes that get fed to the Emperor.

Also a fun mental picture of Space Marines picking at dinner politely and bailing on dessert, and the explanation makes sense, as well as that they probably haven't developed much of a preferred palate for regular human food either. Even the Space Wolves do their feasting with mead that's made from rocket fuel and entire roast animals and all.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah the novel about the Lion’s return has a Fallen as a viewpoint character and he notes he usually passes himself off as a gene modded labourer or similar outside of his armour.

Or possibly an abhuman, even Imperium-recognised humanity is a pretty broad category.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Its in a story , Theres somewhere deep in the depths of Hive Primus, the largest hive city on Necromunda, a massive tower of Fat. Like all the minuscule leavings from processing meat and grease ends up here and over thousands of years it just grew and grew till its the size of a mountain m and theres a whole industry of harvesting it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well the issue is that they start skipping the "turn them into starch" step and are getting all ripped on peoplesteak

oh yeah also they'll sometimes find centuries-old caches of corpse starch in underground planetary defense bunkers and whatnot that's grown mold and, if you process it right, you can make a drug called Ghast that makes you temporarily psychic and also frequently insane

"It's a gateway drug to chaos - winners don't do chaos" - Inquisitor Burns, Director, Bureatus Federalis Investigatorum

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Its in a story , Theres somewhere deep in the depths of Hive Primus, the largest hive city on Necromunda, a massive tower of Fat. Like all the minuscule leavings from processing meat and grease ends up here and over thousands of years it just grew and grew till its the size of a mountain m and theres a whole industry of harvesting it.

great homage to pratchett imo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hihohe posted:

Fats Domino Jenga.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Hihohe posted:

oh yeah that was real gross. 10000 years of human habitation in a built space will do that

quote:

First they fed me.

Janeus walked to the oil drum in the centre of the chamber, lifted the mushroom lid and reached for an old metal ladle. He used it to stir the contents and then there were wet sucking sounds as he brought up a gobbet of putrid grey, oily slop.

‘Here!’ he said and cheerfully started doling it out into beaten metal bowls.

They gave me a stamped spoon and a hammered metal bowl half-full of the filthy jelly. I broke the lumps open and a foul stench rose.

‘What is it?’ I asked.

‘Scrape,’ he told me. I bent closer. The scrape smelled both meaty and repulsive; I tasted some from the tip of the spoon. The gelatinous substance dissolved unpleasantly in the mouth and it had a gritty texture, but I had spent so long surviving on Dahong’s filth, that once it had filled my belly I wanted more. They grinned as they watched me eat.

‘Where do you find this stuff?’ I said.

Janeus smiled. ‘I’ll show you. Come!’

I polished the bowl clean and then he beckoned me through a low tunnel. We pushed through and walked for maybe five minutes.

‘It’s not far,’ he assured me.

Suddenly the air opened up, and after so long confined in small spaces I felt a giddy sense of vertigo and had to put my hand to the wall at my side to stop myself falling. I had lived long enough in the hive to know a vast space when I was standing in it. It was in the echo, the distant drips, the faint breath of air moving about. The chamber was so wide I could not see the other side. And it was full. Within it sat a colossal object, like a quivering xenos egg lying in the bowels of the hive.

‘This is it!’ Janeus said.

I was revolted and amazed at the same time. Towering before me, vast, glistening and pale, was a bung of solid fat. Not to mention all the poo poo, vomit, wads of paper, medicine patches and spittle, bonded together with effluent and grease. It had to be the oldest thing in the hive.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hihohe posted:

It was janky fun.

We gotta Talk about Necromunda more, i loving love that setting.

A Mad Max world of Gang style warfare

My dude,

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

quote:

I was revolted and amazed at the same time. Towering before me, vast, glistening and pale, was a bung of solid fat. Not to mention all the poo poo, vomit, wads of paper, medicine patches and spittle, bonded together with effluent and grease. It had to be the oldest thing in the hive.

Screw the Golden Throne, this is the best descriptive writing in 40k!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Cessna posted:

My dude,

Trust me dude, i know. If GW put out some sort of new edition of this, money would fly out of my wallet so fast itd catch my pants on fire.

I read through the old books and they are actually very similar to Necromundas so honestly the could just do... like.. an expansion Set for Necromunda. Label it Necromunda:Gorkamorka that way they dont need to Reiterate the base rules, just give ya orks and trucks and let us go hog wild!

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 14, 2024

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm pretty sure the Custodes are not made from normal humans like Space Marines are. They are more like the Primarchs where they are test tube babies that had their DNA hand crafted to make a very specific kind of humanoid being that has abilities that normal humans cannot possess or be made to possess.

They are more like a manufactured weapon or tool that has sentience and is built for a specific purpose.

Of course in the WH40k universe an actual hammer can have sentience if it is advanced enough or Chaos decides to corrupt the hammer to do it's bidding.

Edit: Also if a hammer is sentient you need to regularly massage it with oil, pray to it, and constantly tell it how awesome it is. It also won't hammer a nail if it isn't in the mood.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 14, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just make another ttrpg and put playing xenos and chaos in the core rulebook

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

I'm pretty sure the Custodes are not made from normal humans like Space Marines are. They are more like the Primarchs where they are test tube babies that had their DNA hand crafted to make a very specific kind of humanoid being that has abilities that normal humans cannot possess or be made to possess.

They are more like a manufactured weapon or tool that has sentience and is built for a specific purpose.

Of course in the WH40k universe an actual hammer can have sentience if it is advanced enough or Chaos decides to corrupt the hammer to do it's bidding.

master of mankind starts with valdor abducting a terran noblewoman's baby to make a custode out of after killing her (ostensibly) for draining the last sea

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 14, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Sir, grease collectors on the southern face of Blubbermanjaro compromised the stability that resulted in an adiposelanche. Gristle ridge won't be accessible for the immediate future.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

limp_cheese posted:

Edit: Also if a hammer is sentient you need to regularly massage it with oil, pray to it, and constantly tell it how awesome it is. It also won't hammer a nail if it isn't in the mood.

"But these Orks are dumber than a bag of hammers. Uh, no offense, Stanley."

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Hihohe posted:

Corpse grinders are mean in game, almost oppressively. Melees really powerful and they are good at it

One of my favorite little lore bits from the corpse grinder book is that the scrawnier-looking gangers have to wear those metal muzzles to prevent them from chowing down on fallen combatants (including their own) while they're still in the middle of a skirmish.

The same book also had rules for a chaos-uprising-themed campaign, where it was possible for the hive you're in to get so hosed-up that starvation mechanics would kick in and your less-fed gangers (regardless of faction) would have to make "cool" rolls to stop them from eating downed opponents, in a mirror to that bit of corpse grinder fluff.

naem
May 29, 2011

what a fun game for kids

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cessna posted:

My dude,

This was so sick

I think about Da Red Gobbo at least 1x a month despite last playing a gamesworkshop game in the mid 2000’s

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

IIRC custodes are made from Terran noble babies, but the process is similar to what you're describing - their DNA and whatnot are hand crafted into a very specific kind of human, also IIRC but I wanna say that they're hand-crafted into the person they're specifically replacing in the 10,000, i.e. the process and DNA is slightly different if they're replacing an Adornitus vs a Trajaan or w hatever

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This was so sick

I think about Da Red Gobbo at least 1x a month despite last playing a gamesworkshop game in the mid 2000’s

You should read the Book about him!
https://www.amazon.com/Gobbos-Revenge-Warhammer-40-000-ebook/dp/B09K81QYLC

Mike Brooks writes Orks so well

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 14, 2024

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jaydyn eat your corpse starch the school bus will be here soon

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Smugworth posted:

In the 40k universe, I bet trashy families name their kids after loyalist primarchs.

"Sangynis! Stop poking the cooking servitor and eat your soylens viridens! And Feres Menys, Throne help me, I will spank you black and blue if I hear again from your instructors at the scholae that you're asking if Him On Earth still passes gas!"

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 14, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hihohe posted:

You should read the Book about him!
https://www.amazon.com/Gobbos-Revenge-Warhammer-40-000-ebook/dp/B09K81QYLC

Mike Brooks writes Orks so well

Love a good ork book

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Didn’t the necromunda expansion have some kind of rat people?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Vashro posted:

Didn’t the necromunda expansion have some kind of rat people?

Yeah, in the original run the Ratskins were sort of off the grid survivalists, they were heavily based off native americans and handled about as well as a british person in the 80s-90s could which was to say.... not great.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Smugworth posted:

Bold of you to assume there's public schools

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

CapnAndy posted:

Bold of you to assume there's public schools

From what I remember of Catachan lore kids on the deathworld are raised in a big ol' village nursery, where they're taught basic skills like "how to decapitate flying snakes" and "when to snap your friend's neck when they're too infested with brain parasites."

The field trips out into the jungle have sizable casualty rates.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Catachans and Cadians are just built different but equally hardcore in my mind.
One can kill and gut a creature before they can walk while the other can dig a trench and field strip every known armament before they can talk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Picturing a Catachan and Cadian couple producing a real freak

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cadia was full of wusses that's why the planet blows up

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Catach-me-if-you-C(adi)an

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Bynml5lhY&t=159s

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

so with corpse starch and hive fat you could basically make pemmican and pretend to be an adventurer of yore

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Smugworth posted:

Cadia was full of wusses that's why the planet blows up

I think that’s one bit of that lore people often get wrong, mainly because Cadians are sort of the template for ‘basic guardsman’ across the imperium (and more importantly, model range) and guardsman are generally depicted as mooks or fodder in 40k stories. But Cadians are supposed to be ridiculously hardcore, like just insanely good soldiers and the peak of what a baseline human soldier can be, they just live in the 40k universe so being the best human soldier only counts for so much. There’s a reason Cadian doctrine and gear is the template for a vast amount of the imperial army.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mr Teatime posted:

I think that’s one bit of that lore people often get wrong, mainly because Cadians are sort of the template for ‘basic guardsman’ across the imperium (and more importantly, model range) and guardsman are generally depicted as mooks or fodder in 40k stories. But Cadians are supposed to be ridiculously hardcore, like just insanely good soldiers and the peak of what a baseline human soldier can be, they just live in the 40k universe so being the best human soldier only counts for so much. There’s a reason Cadian doctrine and gear is the template for a vast amount of the imperial army.

flashlights

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Smugworth posted:

flashlights

And t shirts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How many years do you have to do in the imperial guard before the emperor pays for your college