Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are Spielberg's next projects after RPO? He's got Indiana Jones 5 in the pipeline but will that be it for him or does he have anything else lined up after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are Spielberg's next projects after RPO? He's got Indiana Jones 5 in the pipeline but will that be it for him or does he have anything else lined up after that?

A remake of West Side Story

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

lelandjs posted:

So there were two movies that Spielberg could have made for his next (likely final) big sci-fi film.

The first was a script written by Jonathan Nolan for Spielberg. It explored scientific concepts further than any other film I can think of, specifically time travel, human nature, and humanity's place in the universe. It made some big, bold statements, ultimately deciding that humanity was found wanting and would only be able to survive by their own ingenuity. An excellent script, perhaps one of the best early drafts I've ever read.

The other was Ready Player One.

Spielberg chose... poorly.

(The Nolan script got it its second half severely rewritten and ended up being directed by his brother. If you haven't read the Spielberg draft of Interstellar, I cannot recommend it highly enough. I was so, so disappointed by the final film).

Oh poo poo that's interesting. I loved Interstellar until about the last third.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BonoMan posted:

Oh poo poo that's interesting. I loved Interstellar until about the last third.

From memory, here's how the original script differed (please note that this is cliff notes and works MUCH better when reading the actual script):

[Edit: my memory sucks (though I was kinda close)! Read this article instead: http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-script-differences/]

They land on the ice planet and find a strange alien being (describe as a "fractal goo") that is hostile. It kills at least one of the astronauts. The survivors (which I think is only Coop and TARS) take shelter in a cave and find some kind of transporter, which takes them to a Chinese spacecraft orbiting the black hole. China, it turns out, got there first, and their researchers had been studying the black hole to figure out if they could harness it. The researchers had long since passed due to time dilation but their robots/AI had been working diligently on the solution for the equivalent of hundreds of years, and built a craft that may be capable of FTL travel. The researchers also discovered that the frozen planet was once similar to earth, and the few fractal aliens that Coop encountered are all that is left of their "race".

Coop realizes that, while Earth is no longer viable for humanity to live on (it's now hundreds of years in the future on Earth, due to time dilation, and Coop assumes everyone is dead), it would be perfect for the fractal aliens. So he sends out an exploratory drone to see if the Chinese robot's solution works... and realizes that the drone he sent is the same one he discovered back on Earth, that got him into this mess in the first place. The FTL tech does work.

So he scoops up some of the fractal aliens, gets in the ship, and heads back what he assumed is a dead Earth. However, his assumption was wrong--since he left, humanity has finally banded together and created a vessel capable of sustaining a large percentage of Earth's population in a travel across space, thanks in part to the technology from the drone Coop had sent. Coop initially gets on the spaceship, but feels completely out of place (he's also seen as a huge hero, and flies off on the Chinese ship with TARS.

So yeah, no power of love, no fifth-dimensional beings, no dust rippling across time, no watch hand binary code, and an overall message that maybe if something is pulling the strings, humanity is not their first priority.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 15, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A remake of West Side Story

Ehhhhh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

lelandjs posted:

From memory, here's how the original script differed (please note that this is cliff notes and works MUCH better when reading the actual script):

They land on the ice planet and find a strange alien being (describe as a "fractal goo") that is hostile. It kills at least one of the astronauts. The survivors (which I think is only Coop and TARS) take shelter in a cave and find some kind of transporter, which takes them to a Chinese spacecraft orbiting the black hole. China, it turns out, got there first, and their researchers had been studying the black hole to figure out if they could harness it. The researchers had long since passed due to time dilation but their robots/AI had been working diligently on the solution for the equivalent of hundreds of years, and built a craft that may be capable of FTL travel. The researchers also discovered that the frozen planet was once similar to earth, and the few fractal aliens that Coop encountered are all that is left of their "race".

Coop realizes that, while Earth is no longer viable for humanity to live on (it's now hundreds of years in the future on Earth, due to time dilation, and Coop assumes everyone is dead), it would be perfect for the fractal aliens. So he sends out an exploratory drone to see if the Chinese robot's solution works... and realizes that the drone he sent is the same one he discovered back on Earth, that got him into this mess in the first place. The FTL tech does work.

So he scoops up some of the fractal aliens, gets in the ship, and heads back to Earth. However, his assumption was wrong--since he left, humanity has finally banded together and created a vessel capable of sustaining a large percentage of Earth's population in a travel across space, thanks in part to the technology from the drone Coop had sent. Coop initially gets on the spaceship, but feels completely out of place (he's also seen as a huge hero, and flies off on the Chinese ship with TARS.

So yeah, no power of love, no fifth-dimensional beings, no dust rippling across time, no watch hand binary code, and an overall message that maybe if something is pulling the strings, humanity is not their first priority.

Interesting. Gonna dive into this longer Slashfilm article as well: http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-script-differences/

Really the only thing I strongly disliked about the movie was the "quantifying love" thing... goddamn that was heavy handed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Man the Iron Giant's entire arc was how he didn't want to be a goddamn weapon. And definitely not for these nerds. Although watching that trailer reminded me that The Congress exists and did a better "world is hosed, everyone goes into an escapist fantasy" story than RPO can.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought Interstellar was pretty weak because like in all Nolan movies, all the characters are forgettable and dull (except the joker from TDK)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

GrandpaPants posted:

Man the Iron Giant's entire arc was how he didn't want to be a goddamn weapon. And definitely not for these nerds. Although watching that trailer reminded me that The Congress exists and did a better "world is hosed, everyone goes into an escapist fantasy" story than RPO can.

The Congress is kind of a weird, interesting Frankenstein's monster of a movie, but the book is downright terrifying in my own humble. Despite a macabre tone it's like the pharmacological version of 1984.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zzulu posted:

I thought Interstellar was pretty weak because like in all Nolan movies, all the characters are forgettable and dull (except the joker from TDK)

Nobody forgets Nolan's Bane, dude.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Zzulu posted:

Dude what.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E781QE7ZQK8

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Well in the book his mech was Mecha Godzilla which (as a Godzilla fanboy) would be a much better choice but at the same time the movie isn't dragging big G into the rest of the poo poo show.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Even in the most generous terms, Bane is in no way a “character”

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bane just kind of walks around doin stuff and then gets replaced by another villain at the end

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Even in the most generous terms, Bane is in no way a “character”

He’s a big guy

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He’s a big guy

For you

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nobody cared who he was until he put on the mask

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm getting chills from all the people in the ready player one trailer comments saying they're getting chills
We're hosed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It gives me chills, but I wouldn't describe it as a positive chill.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got douche chills.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He gets to choose any mecha he wishes to try and reach the finish line before Evil Corporate Guy, and instead of going for one the crazy overpowered ones to, you know, help him win a treasure race that is supposedly high-stakes, he goes for Leopardon from Japanese Spiderman. And, much as I like that particular mecha, HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE IN A RACE! Go for the fastest or strongest you can think of! At least TRY to make use believe there are stakes!

... I would have gone for Zeorymer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ahahha.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I dunno Spielbergs never made a truly awful film so I'll probably see Ready Player One

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hollismason posted:

I dunno Spielbergs never made a truly awful film so I'll probably see Ready Player One

Always? The Terminal?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ernest Cline is about to be outed as a molester any day now, isn’t he?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

Ernest Cline is about to be outed as a molester any day now, isn’t he?

are you kidding? if that man ever touched a girl in his life i'd be shocked

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hollismason posted:

He's made plenty.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

The last Indiana Jones monstrosity maybe???

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Would you call it truly awful though? Like I am talking absolute garbage. He's never done it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Would you call it truly awful though? Like I am talking absolute garbage. He's never done it.

His section of Twilight Zone, 1941, Always, The Terminal, Indy 4

All poo poo.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The Big loving Giant was a box office bomb but was it any good?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

clown shoes posted:

The Big loving Giant was a box office bomb but was it any good?

It's all right. Better than The Post but not as good as Bridge of Spies or Lincoln.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Bridge of Spies is horribly overwrought and dull, bolstered only by an excellent performance by Mark Rylance

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I won't be doing this all that much, but I will say the reasons why the 80's poo poo is all over the place is kind of interesting and makes sense. The Wonka Like man died and has that egg contest thing, and everyone consumes his diaries for clues where he hid it. It's full of 80's poo poo, so everyone gets into it too just so they could try and get the egg thing. The book picks up a few years after his death so it became part of the culture (again)

I'm like, alright. That's kinda a lot more interesting than I thought. But then the main character is such a stupid nerd that i hate him just out right. He has this long rant about how life is a lie and Jesus is a lie and Heaven is a lie, ect...but video games are good because I can escape that. Also I'm the best.

Ahhhh. This isn't a character. This is the author.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ernest Cline is totally that guy who spots a girl in a Star Wars tshirt and starts low-key angrily grilling her on trivia to prove she's just fronting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The main character's dad dies failing to hold-up a convenience store, and instead of being the kind of guy you can expect with such a backstory, he's boring white nerd with no personality.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
People keep talking poo poo about 1941 but it still rules

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Terminal was charming.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_lN0-gtWF4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

The main character's dad dies failing to hold-up a convenience store, and instead of being the kind of guy you can expect with such a backstory, he's boring white nerd with no personality.

"with great power comes great ooh look a video game"

• Locked thread