Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

We're moving to Netsuite in a couple months - I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, especially if you're using the e-commerce stuff, and what you were using before

I'm just an end user. A vendor with which we work uses it as their ticketing and CRM system. They replaced Salesforce.com CRM with it a few years ago. They're going back to Salesforce.com later this year, tails tucked between their legs.

On the ticketing system side, I don't know if it's NetSuite, or how this vendor configured NetSuite. Little things are just stupid.

• I can't upload a file with the same name as a file uploaded anywhere else in that ticketing system, including files uploaded by other customers (whose tickets and files I can't see). log.txt was taken long ago. I hope you remember to put a date-time stamp in the file name of whatever you upload.
  • The email cc field has a maximum of 255 characters. I hope you have distribution lists setup for every combination of people who might need to be on a ticket. To be fair, this impacts large teams more than small ones.
  • When you select a different field after updating the email cc field, wait for 5 seconds as the web interface hangs.
  • If you respond to a ticket via email, it logs that response as coming from the ticket creator. If you have the <unique ticket hash>@vendorsupport.com email address, you can impersonate the ticket creator.
  • When a ticket is updated or commented upon, the email looks like it comes from support@vendor.com. They don't even bother to update the (admittedly spoofable) name field in the email header, so that it as least displays as <person name> (email@vendorsupport.com). If you can update the ticket, you can impersonate the vendor to anyone using email.

I don't know: maybe it's all rainbows and unicorns on the back end, but stuff like that nowadays I expect from a legacy system...not something you move to in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Why haven't you migrated to Office 365?

What if Microsoft makes all their poo poo obtuse and difficult to use because their master plan is to get everyone on the 365 gravy train? How many people went to hosted exchange because it was less headaches than trying to get exchange working on their premises? That's what happened here. Now there's hosted sharepoint. Soon, SCCM 365. :stare:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Coredump posted:

What if Microsoft makes all their poo poo obtuse and difficult to use because their master plan is to get everyone on the 365 gravy train? How many people went to hosted exchange because it was less headaches than trying to get exchange working on their premises? That's what happened here. Now there's hosted sharepoint. Soon, SCCM 365. :stare:

It's no secret they're moving everything Office into a subscription, but making it obtuse on purpose? nah.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Crowley posted:

It's no secret they're moving everything Office into a subscription, but making it obtuse on purpose? nah.

Counterpoint: Microsoft licensing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

J posted:

Lately every time I step out into the parking lot to leave or go to lunch I find that there is a giant rear end SUV or truck parked way too close to both sides of my car. I can barely open the door wide enough to get in, and then I can't see poo poo backing out of the parking space. gently caress off :argh:

1) Start backing into spots - better visibility when leaving, less chance of an accident
2) Park diagonally, up the ante on the rear end in a top hat shenanigans :v:

In all seriousness though, I've got into the habit of almost always backing into spots because of douchenozzles who can't drive or park their loving street tanks. Best part is hearing them bitch when they're the one at fault and complain about dings/scratches - guess what fuckstick? My car's 13 years old, paid off and I don't care about dings/dents. But I know how to needle the gently caress out of you and play to your weakness of vanity because you think your poo poo doesn't stink and has to be 100% impeccable at all times. I'll live with a ding while you panic over the tiniest scratch and spend hundreds to get it fixed every time you park like an rear end in a top hat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sickening posted:

My local exchange has less downtime.

This. Even for clients who don't have onsite Exchange, our hosted Exchange service has had better uptime than O365

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When the hell was the last O365 outage?

I've seen emails down for an hour or two at the worst over two years.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
gently caress Cisco licensing.

That's all.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Crowley posted:

I'm talking about Microsoft software beyond office though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tab8715 posted:

It's been about 2 years since the last serious one I remember. Couldn't even get to the admin health portal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

An hour or two for companies during business hours is a big deal.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

An hour or two for companies during business hours is a big deal.

My boss rebooted an exchange server today, which couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes (it was installing an update, so I am being generous). He got a panicked call from the CIO asking what was wrong with email.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

CRM, last wednesday. Down all afternoon.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

quote != edit

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bigass Moth posted:

gently caress licensing.

Fixed that for you.

Pissing me off: Users that call in with "the world is literally on fire fix this awful poo poo right now. It's been terrible since you touched our network and migrated us to a new ISP" and then don't pick up the goddamn phone when I call them back. It's clearly not a very concerning issue if you wont let me fix it you twat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

myron cope posted:

My boss rebooted an exchange server today, which couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes (it was installing an update, so I am being generous). He got a panicked call from the CIO asking what was wrong with email.

Its probably the issue with the most visibility outside of the internet. Nobody is loving happy and everyone who believes they are somebody in the company comes out of the woodwork to flex their muscles to get this thing fixed!

You would think that being able to say "I have no power to fix this" would be enough to deflect the needless outrage but in my experience it is worse.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

Its probably the issue with the most visibility outside of the internet. Nobody is loving happy and everyone who believes they are somebody in the company comes out of the woodwork to flex their muscles to get this thing fixed!

You would think that being able to say "I have no power to fix this" would be enough to deflect the needless outrage but in my experience it is worse.

O365 exacerbates the problem with "I can't fix this" by having incredibly opaque support.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't know if I just don't notice outages or they don't affect us over here, but I've never really had an issue with Office 365 uptime over in Euroland.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Fixed that for you.

Pissing me off: Users that call in with "the world is literally on fire fix this awful poo poo right now. It's been terrible since you touched our network and migrated us to a new ISP" and then don't pick up the goddamn phone when I call them back. It's clearly not a very concerning issue if you wont let me fix it you twat.

Also when it turns out that the last time you made any changes was six months ago and the issues they have now have existed since the morning.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 22, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

O365 hasn't had a total outage in a while, but there isn't a day that goes by where there aren't some kind of problems notated in the admin portal. We've had issues where people on certain servers had issues, but nothing that's affected the entire company in a while. Right now they're fixing something with Exchange, and Sharepoint is in "extended recovery".

Coredump posted:

Soon, SCCM 365. :stare:

That basically exists already. Intune can connect to SCCM on premise if you want, or Intune itself is basically an easy to use SCCM lite. In fact you can't even install the Intune pc software if the SCCM client exists.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Counterpoint: Microsoft licensing.

Hell no. I just went through an MS audit, and let me tell you it's SO MUCH EASIER to figure out Office 365 licenses than "regular" licenses.

Example: You have users with laptops who connect to Citrix for their "main" use, but also have word installed locally to be able to type up stuff when offline. They use OWA too some times, and they all have a mix of iPhones/Android/WinPhones/Nokia E-series with connection to Exchange. How do you license them? With O365 you buy them an E3, and that's that. With older versions.. Give it a whirl, and I'll tell you the result later.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Ozz81 posted:

...Best part is hearing them bitch when they're the one at fault and complain about dings/scratches - guess what fuckstick? My car's 13 years old, paid off and I don't care about dings/dents. But I know how to needle the gently caress out of you and play to your weakness of vanity because you think your poo poo doesn't stink and has to be 100% impeccable at all times. I'll live with a ding while you panic over the tiniest scratch and spend hundreds to get it fixed every time you park like an rear end in a top hat.
Even better, such drivers always seem to lease their cars because they need to "have new" every 2 years.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Crowley posted:

Hell no. I just went through an MS audit, and let me tell you it's SO MUCH EASIER to figure out Office 365 licenses than "regular" licenses.

Example: You have users with laptops who connect to Citrix for their "main" use, but also have word installed locally to be able to type up stuff when offline. They use OWA too some times, and they all have a mix of iPhones/Android/WinPhones/Nokia E-series with connection to Exchange. How do you license them? With O365 you buy them an E3, and that's that. With older versions.. Give it a whirl, and I'll tell you the result later.

Well if thats the case than I am gladly proved wrong. I spoke with our CDW "licensing" rep about moving partially to O365 but keeping Exchange in house and he made it seem WAY more complicated. CALs for RDP and Office for our terminal servers, had to buy software assurance for everything, etc.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
There's no up time issues with Exchange Online- that really shouldn't be your basis for not moving to the service. I understand visibility concerns, lack of "fanatical support"... but not up time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well if thats the case than I am gladly proved wrong. I spoke with our CDW "licensing" rep about moving partially to O365 but keeping Exchange in house and he made it seem WAY more complicated. CALs for RDP and Office for our terminal servers, had to buy software assurance for everything, etc.

With E3 you license the user and not the machine, so as long as a licensed user is connecting to the RDS session then you don't need any extra licensing.

RDS CALs etc still apply though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dox posted:

There's no up time issues with Exchange Online- that really shouldn't be your basis for not moving to the service. I understand visibility concerns, lack of "fanatical support"... but not up time.

No concerns except when it would go down for all users at a client for a day+ at a time, sure.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Crowley posted:

Agreed. Our EA is much simpler these days with all the cloud stuff now.

E3 licenses covers O365 and Office Software licenses on a per user basis. No more SA for various office versions and keeping track of all that. Much easier to back bill to departments as well.

Enterprise CAL Suite Bridge licenses covers the various CAL's we need.

Datacenter licenses for all our virtual host servers and covers the Server OS licensing.

We moved Project to Project Online, covers the client software as part of the monthly fee.

The only other thing we worry about is some RDS CAL's we have, 3 Exchange Server Std licenses and some Visio licenses. Everything else is covered.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

User with 21.6GB OST file puked. Only 9.7GB of that is on the Exchange server somehow

OH WHERE OH WHERE ARE MY 2004 EMAILS

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Talk to him again, in general terms if you're going with a "some users in on-prem exchange, some in O365" you're talking about a hybrid configuration which basically boils down to "Traditional licenses for on-prem users/servers, E3's for cloud users". If you don't actually have any mailboxes on the on-prem exchange server, you can actually get a free 'hybrid use only' exchange key as well.

The E3 license covers terminal users as well by using one of a user's 5 instances of office pro plus, just have to install it using 'shared computer activation' mode.

AutoArgus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 22, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bob Morales posted:

User with 21.6GB OST file puked. Only 9.7GB of that is on the Exchange server somehow

As you swing your shiny pocket-watch to and fro...

"There never were any 2004 emails... your mailbox only goes back to 2013... there never were any 2004 emails..."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tab8715 posted:

There was a multiday one in July, or at least most of that particular day.

Here's a reddit thread about since nobody writes news stories about O365

Bob Morales posted:

People get really pathological with their email hoarding. They always say CYA, but how toxic are the politics in a place where a 10 year old email is make or break? If it's a legal thing, then it should have been backed up somewhere other than some shitlord's PST.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 22, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sickening posted:

I forget who posted it some pages back, but a Goon had his director or somesuch literally behind him shouting to call the support hotline to do something about a service outage when it was already being worked on.

I've had the exact same scenario happen to me, cloud product shits the bed and when the big wigs don't see you busting your balls scrambling around they get shouty. It's the cloud yo, it just works! (even when it doesn't)

As for 365 I've been on the edge for getting it, but when I read up that you can now transfer Office 2013 licences to different machines it kinda killed any interest I had. We can either pay up £150 one off fee for a product key, or pay £84 per year forever just to use office, I mean even two years of a 365 subscription for one user is already straight up more expensive than just buying it, what's the appeal?
(Personally I don't care about the cost, but I know for a fact it'll be no dice for the company)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

I forget who posted it some pages back, but a Goon had his director or somesuch literally behind him shouting to call the support hotline to do something about a service outage when it was already being worked on.

I've had the exact same scenario happen to me, cloud product shits the bed and when the big wigs don't see you busting your balls scrambling around they get shouty. It's the cloud yo, it just works! (even when it doesn't)

As for 365 I've been on the edge for getting it, but when I read up that you can now transfer Office 2013 licences to different machines it kinda killed any interest I had. We can either pay up £150 one off fee for a product key, or pay £84 per year forever just to use office, I mean even two years of a 365 subscription for one user is already straight up more expensive than just buying it, what's the appeal?
(Personally I don't care about the cost, but I know for a fact it'll be no dice for the company)

But you also get a terabyte of storage in OneDrive! Its a fabulous product that promises so much and doesn't do half of it! "Your director has more then 22,000 files including files in subfolders, sync failed please break it down into multiple shares" Oh, okay I'll get right on restructuring everything just so your terrible software that doesn't like perfectly valid characters will work.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Super Slash posted:

Not going to play salesman for MS, but take a look at..
- How often do you swap Office licenses? Calculate the TCO over (for example) four years.
- How much do you pay for Exchange licenses, CALs, Backups, antivirus?
- What other services in Office 365 would benefit your organization? for us it was Skype for Business. We were looking at a Cisco solution anyway, so win/win.

Take a look at what's included in the plans, and sum up what you already pay for those services. When I did that it went from a good idea to a complete no-brainer. Plus, MS bought back our unused "SA-time" left on already purchased Office licenses, and paid us a nice sum in incentives for going with 365.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I have an interview at Samsung in NJ Monday. I don't really want the job, but it's a decent enough raise as well as a considerable reduction in health care costs (about $8k cheaper), so the cash on my paycheck will be about $12k more.

All the horror stories sort of turned me off to it, but eh, might as well go in, right?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Super Slash posted:

Where are you getting legit Office product keys for £150? Office Pro Plus 2016 has a list price of about 508 USD here in the states and MLA is quoting £429.14 in the UK. That's without Software Assurance, just the license. Throw in SA and you're up to £677.95. Even Office Standard licenses without SA are £314

Anyway, so here's the appeal of O365 for my organization, now I work for a company of over 3,000 employees spread across 20 global sites so my reasoning might not apply to smaller companies.

Office365 licensing first off gives us flexibility. It's per user. When we acquired a company with 400 people last year we didn't do anything but buy 400 more E3 licenses. No infrastructure to upgrade, no Capital Expenditures to finance, just a bigger monthly bill. I didn't have to worry about our Exchange environment sizing. I don't have to worry about server placement across the globe. I didn't have to worry about having enough Office licenses for them. I also don't have to worry about how many devices the user has. Many of our users have Desktops and Laptops. It's all included.

From a finance perspective we're reducing our large Capital Expenditures. We have a big Enterprise Agreement so we pay our E3 licenses annually instead of monthly, but it still helps the company from a cash flow perspective. Traditionally we would write a huge check that covered 3 years of licensing.

From an IT perspective we have gained services, while reducing costs. Before moving to BPOS/O365 we didn't have any sort of internal IM service setup, now the whole company has Skype for Business. We've seen significant savings from moving away from Exchange On Premise. Backups, Spam and Malware filtering, all included and all costs we removed after the migration.

It's not for every organization, but it works for us and we like it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Eh. One of the guys on my team came out of Samsung Israel, and he has mostly positive things to say. Bad things to say about emergency flights to Seoul and the management structure, as well as coding practices, but the job itself didn't sound unbearable.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

evol262 posted:

Eh. One of the guys on my team came out of Samsung Israel, and he has mostly positive things to say. Bad things to say about emergency flights to Seoul and the management structure, as well as coding practices, but the job itself didn't sound unbearable.

It's for Senior Linux Administrator, so no coding, but you have to be proficient in bash or python, so I think I have the skill set. I don't know if I want to leave NYC for another NJ job, but maybe it'll be better for my family since I won't have to train for 1.5 hours. I love the train ride, but I can see how that's a problem.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

It's for Senior Linux Administrator, so no coding, but you have to be proficient in bash or python, so I think I have the skill set. I don't know if I want to leave NYC for another NJ job, but maybe it'll be better for my family since I won't have to train for 1.5 hours. I love the train ride, but I can see how that's a problem.

That might be the problem -- almost everyone on my team used to be an admin. He was a build engineer for the Galaxy team, and apparently spent most of his time trying to explain to the developers how Linux worked and why the things they were doing would never work.

Also, nobody understood git. And it's unacceptable in Korean culture to say negative things to someone with more seniority, so totally poo poo code that everyone knew was poo poo got positive code reviews anyway. Plus management apparently thinks you can make a baby in one month if you have 10 women, etc.

His take was that Samsung outside of Korea was great, but the more often you have to interact with the Korean side of the company, the more homicidal you'll get.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

evol262 posted:

That might be the problem -- almost everyone on my team used to be an admin. He was a build engineer for the Galaxy team, and apparently spent most of his time trying to explain to the developers how Linux worked and why the things they were doing would never work.

Also, nobody understood git. And it's unacceptable in Korean culture to say negative things to someone with more seniority, so totally poo poo code that everyone knew was poo poo got positive code reviews anyway. Plus management apparently thinks you can make a baby in one month if you have 10 women, etc.

His take was that Samsung outside of Korea was great, but the more often you have to interact with the Korean side of the company, the more homicidal you'll get.

Thanks for the input. I really like my job now, honestly, the increased money is nice, but I really don't need it. I only started this path because I thought I was going to be let go, but since they're assured me I'm not losing my job (they got rid of a few people, but that was three weeks ago and there's been no more restructuring).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

No concerns except when it would go down for all users at a client for a day+ at a time, sure.

We've got ~70 clients on it, over 1000 users... haven't had it go down in any significant way in the past two years. Usually just minor things like can't add distribution groups via OWA for a day or what not. Maybe we're just lucky.

When's the last time you used the service?