Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I see that nobody responded because they had the foresight to know that a werejackal epidemic would break out in my fort, kill 70 dwarves, and leave me with 3 adults and 5 children.

Regarding aquifers and pumps. Really the best way to learn is to watch YouTube videos since explaining in text is rather difficult. Judging by your description of the location of the aquifer I would suggest using the plug method since you appear to have plenty of z-levels above the aquifer.

Regarding were-critter defense, this no longer applies because you've already got the problem. But here are two suggestions for defending against the initial attack.

First, bring along some dogs. Train them to be war dogs and pen them outside of your fort. Keep training any offspring into war dogs until you have about 10 of them. The war dogs should slow down the were beast long enough for it to turn back, at which point if any war dogs survive they'll rip it to shreds.

Second, use two tile wide moats and/or two z-level high walls (smooth any non-constructed walls) to direct invader traffic into choke points and locked doors that will slow them down. Or bridges that you can raise of course. The moat is faster and just as effective as the wall against were-critters, so get that done first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zesty posted:

Start a fort. Play very intensely for a couple days. Come back to it in a year.

Stop spying on me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I could use a hand from the resident raw-editing wizards.

I modified Giant Cave Spiders to lay eggs and have a childhood so they can eventually be domesticated (and so that their reproductive cycle behaves a bit more like regular spiders.) However, I am an amateur at creature design, most of my experience is in just tweaking a few values here and there and I seem to have messed up. DF's error logs produce this result every time I boot the game:

quote:

*** Error(s) finalizing the creature SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT
undefined local creature material set to default: SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT EGG_YOLK
undefined local creature material set to default: SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT EGG_WHITE
undefined local creature material set to default: SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT EGGSHELL

And here's a pastebin with the relevant raw in full:

https://pastebin.com/7nk0qysc

What do I need to add to fix this?

e: oh I think I managed to sort it out. I missed a single line [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EGG_MATERIALS] that has to go in their definitions somewhere, that seems to have done the trick. I think all it does is assign them the default values that the game was giving them anyways but at least it isn't spamming the error log any more.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 1, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hm. I am pretty sure that means it doesn't know what "LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT" is -

Oh just saw your edit. Yeah you got it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheCIASentMe posted:

Regarding aquifers and pumps. Really the best way to learn is to watch YouTube videos since explaining in text is rather difficult. Judging by your description of the location of the aquifer I would suggest using the plug method since you appear to have plenty of z-levels above the aquifer.
The great majority of the videos are dedicated to the kind of cheesy ways of doing it, while I'm trying to do it "right" just this once. After this I'll double-slit or plug or do whatever I can to get around an aquifer. The videos also are all 30-minute things where maybe somewhere in it do they actually get to it (kind of like Minecraft videos). There was one video about punching through the aquifer that, well, didn't even get to it. Heck, trying to look instead at how to work with water wheels, axles, and gears was a pain, although somebody eventually did say, "axles are arms and gears are elbows," which took care of the basic theory.

What I'm going to try to do first is make a 1x1 hole through the aquifer using a 3x3 walled area. I'll just see how horrible what was. If it's bad, I'll just see what the caverns look like and consider using that to drain the aquifer while I try to create the larger hole.

quote:

Regarding were-critter defense, this no longer applies because you've already got the problem. But here are two suggestions for defending against the initial attack.

First, bring along some dogs. Train them to be war dogs and pen them outside of your fort. Keep training any offspring into war dogs until you have about 10 of them. The war dogs should slow down the were beast long enough for it to turn back, at which point if any war dogs survive they'll rip it to shreds.

Second, use two tile wide moats and/or two z-level high walls (smooth any non-constructed walls) to direct invader traffic into choke points and locked doors that will slow them down. Or bridges that you can raise of course. The moat is faster and just as effective as the wall against were-critters, so get that done first.

I had some war dogs but I hadn't made more yet. There were two war dogs that got turned into paste right at the beginning. The werejackal was spotted something like 12 tiles from the mouth of the fort, and everybody in the tavern just couldn't be bothered to pull the lever in time. For the spotting problem, I've since been able to put some war dogs in a pasture further up the sides of the fort. I've also finally reached a point where I can poke out a tower around the critical part of the fort, but I haven't reached a point of getting people to hang out up there. Ideally, some marksdwarves would keep watch up there, but previous experience was that they're fussy as all hell. So I'm thinking that maybe I need the observation deck be a museum to all my artifacts or something.

Also, is 2-high the real trick to keep out climbers or something? I have been capping my walls with a lip of fortified floor poking off the wall underneath but I haven't seen how climbers react to that yet.

I should have done something like a moat, but I'm stretching my brain on how I'd set it up since I basically dug into the side of a gorge. Now, that river might be protecting me from all kinds of poo poo. I don't know what happens on the other side of it. Also, most of the civilizations on the continent are on the other side of that. Would I possibly get new visitors if created a path to my fort under the river? This fort only gets an annual visit from the mountainhomes but I hoped to do more trading.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ugh, the new stress mechanics are still miserable. It looks like .11 and .12 slowed the process down a little bit but eventually all your haulers just become completely useless from all the times they've seen dead bodies.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

:frogc00l:
As we finished off the month, which is mostly an administrative period, there was also a last bit of tangentry and excitement over in necro and demon land. Summons were expanded to include larger nightmarish beings. They last for a short time and can't be called often, but they are trouble. Raising intelligent undead was expanded to include ghosts. These can act as plotters and agents (you can put them down with their names, and likely that'll also come up when we get to interrogating them about their role in plots.) Both of these should also contribute to fun in the fort when we arrive at that part.

Finally, certain necromancers and certain demons can also magically experiment on or otherwise corruptly transform the citizens and livestock of cities that they capture. This leads to a variety of humanoids and quadrupeds and others (like little failed experiment winged blobs), some of which can escape into the wilderness and perhaps even rarely reintegrate into society (and thereby possibly become playable in adv mode and available as fort travelers and migrants.) Collections of citizens can also be amalgamated into monstrous giants.

The creature description includes the conditions under which the creature first appeared, and their creature name often includes the name of the necromancer or demon (e.g. humanoids called Tura's hands), and they are uncommon enough that I think it's a relatively safe step in terms of exposition and potential confusion. That is, while elves, goblins, animal people, etc. are easy enough for most players to parse, along with the occasional forgotten beast, we were worried about throwing tons of procedural beings in before myth generation can cohere them. With the experiments though, despite being random, they still occupy a controlled position that seems to work in the contexts where they appear.

I think the tangents are finally out of my system now, for the time being, and we can get these maps done at long last. These new additions have been very good for the villain theme, though, and it'll be wholesome to see them out in the worlds.

This game.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Finally, certain necromancers and certain demons can also magically experiment on or otherwise corruptly transform the citizens and livestock of cities that they capture. This leads to a variety of humanoids and quadrupeds and others (like little failed experiment winged blobs), some of which can escape into the wilderness and perhaps even rarely reintegrate into society (and thereby possibly become playable in adv mode and available as fort travelers and migrants.)

Yes please!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I really like the the mental image of failed experiment winged blobs reintegrating into society.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Zesty posted:

This game.

Dwarf Fortress 2019: A relatively safe step in terms of exposition and potential confusion.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Melt down a defeated flesh colossus into brand new citizens.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Holy poo poo I can't wait to play a sociopathic goblin necromancer or something.

...is there any way to play as a demon in adventure mode?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I hope it's possible for flesh giants to be failed experiments, escape, and reintegrate into society. I want to see towering necromantic nightmare horrors beatboxing along while a visiting elf adventurer sings a song about dandelions.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Also, is 2-high the real trick to keep out climbers or something? I have been capping my walls with a lip of fortified floor poking off the wall underneath but I haven't seen how climbers react to that yet.

I do 2 high and then cap a lip with walls and carve the fortifications in so there's a roof.

I think the lip is fine even on 1 high but they can also climb trees and jump over so watch for that.

quote:

Finally, certain necromancers and certain demons can also magically experiment on or otherwise corruptly transform the citizens and livestock of cities that they capture. This leads to a variety of humanoids and quadrupeds and others (like little failed experiment winged blobs), some of which can escape into the wilderness and perhaps even rarely reintegrate into society (and thereby possibly become playable in adv mode and available as fort travelers and migrants.) Collections of citizens can also be amalgamated into monstrous giants.

:catstare:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Angry Diplomat posted:

I hope it's possible for flesh giants to be failed experiments, escape, and reintegrate into society. I want to see towering necromantic nightmare horrors beatboxing along while a visiting elf adventurer sings a song about dandelions.

It'd be hilarious hearing actual conversations between people who accepted some horrible abomination and people visiting.

"Yeah, Fleshy there is pretty huge and gross but, you know, he helps out around town and doesn't cause problems. We had to make the common house bigger of course but that turns out to be pretty easy when you have a 40 foot tall mountain of flesh that can pull trees right out of the ground on your side."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It'd be hilarious hearing actual conversations between people who accepted some horrible abomination and people visiting.

"Yeah, Fleshy there is pretty huge and gross but, you know, he helps out around town and doesn't cause problems. We had to make the common house bigger of course but that turns out to be pretty easy when you have a 40 foot tall mountain of flesh that can pull trees right out of the ground on your side."

It was inevitable.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

perfect... now i can recreate the creature from Oats Studio's Zygote.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is this going to pose problems if you have a necromancer fortress?

"Aaaaaa the corpse stockpile is moving again!"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Pumping update: I started pumping out three squares of what would eventually be a 3x3 starter. I managed to hook up the water wheels and a series of pumps to convey the water out and barf it into the river. There's a bridge over the whole mess in case a caravan decides to come from an atypical direction.

Good news: Got those three walls installed like a champ and punched right through to keep going! It's not done yet, but the whole thing did work out.

Bad news: The aquifer is actually two blocks deep.

Good news: The layer right right underneath that second aquifer layer is caverns so I am thinking I can just let the risk of the aquifer dump down while I fix it up.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Since the amalgamation creatures apparently will have their description based on what they were formed from, I wonder if dwarves will get sad thoughts if they recognize a relative as a part of an amalgamation?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ukath was overjoyed to see a family member.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ugh, the new stress mechanics are still miserable. It looks like .11 and .12 slowed the process down a little bit but eventually all your haulers just become completely useless from all the times they've seen dead bodies.

Hempuli posted:

Since the amalgamation creatures apparently will have their description based on what they were formed from, I wonder if dwarves will get sad thoughts if they recognize a relative as a part of an amalgamation?

I sense a solution brewing.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should have done something like a moat, but I'm stretching my brain on how I'd set it up since I basically dug into the side of a gorge. Now, that river might be protecting me from all kinds of poo poo. I don't know what happens on the other side of it. Also, most of the civilizations on the continent are on the other side of that. Would I possibly get new visitors if created a path to my fort under the river? This fort only gets an annual visit from the mountainhomes but I hoped to do more trading.

The two high wall in combination with a 2 wide moat keeps most climbers out because they have to both jump and climb. If they fail the jump, they most likely drown, if they succeed at the jump but fail the climb to hold on to the wall, they drown, if they succeed on both they still have to climb another level or fall and drown.

Most invaders are not actually THAT good at climbing it's just when they fail there's no real danger for them. 1 level high walls have no chance of failure I believe.

If you want to stop the invaders from even trying to path through it, then make it a 3 tile wide moat (they won't even try to path through there unless they can breathe water) or put the floor overhang trick.

If you post a screen cap of your fort, it will be easier to see where or how things could be changed. (Or not changed, some maps are just awful for defense.)

The river shouldn't be keeping out any traders/visitors to my knowledge.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 2, 2019

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Also I'm pretty sure smoothed stone and walls made from blocks are un-climbable, tho I still do a few z-levels worth of wall just to deter jumping.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't the obvious solution to werebeasts to just have an entire fort of werebeasts?

Though that might make trade/diplomacy a tad difficult.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Smoothed stone is unclimbable, block walls are climbable but iirc harder to climb than constructed stone walls built from boulders.

And yeah the overhang trick guarantees no climbers will be able to get over.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't the obvious solution to werebeasts to just have an entire fort of werebeasts?

Though that might make trade/diplomacy a tad difficult.
The problem is how to transmit it reliably since there is a significant casualty rate

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Also I'm pretty sure having your entire fort be werebeasts means everyone in the fort is going to smash all the buildings once a month. Whether you think this is funny or annoying is a personal choice.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wish we had more reliable means of dealing with werebeasts. Just an easy "chain this person indefinitely" or maybe "execute this person" rather than having to get creative.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My plans for werebeasts always sound great on paper and fail in execution (which is why I've been considering just doing what everyone else does and turning them off. Vampires can stay though). After one particularly bad attack I decided to start working on a quarantine zone, which was -mostly- just about ready by the time the next attack occurred. Unfortunately I did the very stupid thing of not making it a bunch of individual cells for prospective were-dwarves to be isolated, so when it turned out only one of the 3 was infected...well...things got out of hand. Fortunately the squad of dwarves I assigned to grant mercy (read: a hammer to the skull), ran in and beat them all to death after they reverted to normal and I unlocked the doors

Before I took a break I was working on a new plan of 10 isolated cells branching off in a single hallway from the quarters where my monster hunters resided, which was right next to the caverns. I figured that, worst-case sencario, I pull the lever that locks off that level from the rest of the fort (which I had created after the incident with the forgotten salamander beast burninating most of my fort followed by itself) and then the werebeasts, monster hunters, and cave creatures could just slaughter one-another for a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zesty posted:

I wish we had more reliable means of dealing with werebeasts. Just an easy "chain this person indefinitely" or maybe "execute this person" rather than having to get creative.

Doesn't the new "expel" function serve exactly that purpose?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't want more ways to deal with them after finding them, I want ways to find them that don't involve poring over combat logs and injury pages trying to find if anyone got bitten and if so, who

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

IronicDongz posted:

I don't want more ways to deal with them after finding them, I want ways to find them that don't involve poring over combat logs and injury pages trying to find if anyone got bitten and if so, who

Yeah, they're not even a "fun" investigation like Vampires where you look for dwarves that have gods mad at them, have no family, or never drink alcohol. A heavily werebeast-wounded dwarf could never turn, and a fine-looking dwarf could easily turn and murder everyone because you missed "Urist was bit on the saliva gland!" in the combat logs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Having a fully vampire fort is actually sort of useful even if they do tend to get depressed from lack of alcohol in the long run despite not actually needing to drink at all.

You have a fort full of immortal monsters that feel no pain,need no sleep, and are considerably stronger and faster than any mere mortal.

Actually getting it operational is a pretty heavy undertaking though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of, did Masterwork ever put back in necrofort in the current build?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Doesn't the new "expel" function serve exactly that purpose?

I have not seen it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

How do you get power out of a water wheel? I've tried putting gear assemblies and axles next to it but no matter what I do they just say "inactive."

e: oh, it has to be adjacent to the center. that's kind of a pain but I think I managed to come up with a design that has a hole there without actually spilling water everywhere

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 2, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheCIASentMe posted:

If you post a screen cap of your fort, it will be easier to see where or how things could be changed. (Or not changed, some maps are just awful for defense.)

The river shouldn't be keeping out any traders/visitors to my knowledge.

Well, since you asked:

I'm thinking I can dig out a channel that the river can fill up into those concave spaces on the east and west sides of the fort. After that, it's going to be walls. The second image is the same X-Y coordinates, but 12 levels up. I started a watchtower there that goes up 15 levels. The map slopes up and up a good 27 levels from ground level.

Circled on the ground map are the two places werebeasts were sighted.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 3, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How do you get power out of a water wheel? I've tried putting gear assemblies and axles next to it but no matter what I do they just say "inactive."

e: oh, it has to be adjacent to the center. that's kind of a pain but I think I managed to come up with a design that has a hole there without actually spilling water everywhere
Keep in mind that water is either "Flowing" or "Not Flowing", (or "not full depth and trying to equalize") it doesn't model the direction it's flowing in.

EDIT: Rocko Bonaparte, what are you doing to prevent people from climbing up on top of the hill your fort is built into and dropping down at the entrance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Toady should patch werebeasts so they can only transform on the full moon if they're standing on an 'outdoors' tile.

It'd help balance them and make them more werewolfy