Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bloodly posted:

Um...as a very new player, how are you supposed to do that when you have no money and income to begin with? I'm currently very, very lost.

If you're poor and you don't want to be, get greedy. Expand your demesne, raise taxes on your vassals, murder your mother to inherit her funds, blackmail people, gamble, reduce your armies. If you're smart and patient, invest what little money you have into your core holdings. If you're smart and impatient, take high value holdings through war or subterfuge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Bloodly posted:

Um...as a very new player, how are you supposed to do that when you have no money and income to begin with? I'm currently very, very lost.

If you're a king, which is the situation we were talking about, you should have enough personal land at least, or enough vassals to tax, to provide at least some income to do King poo poo (if not you're in for a bad time). Lower level rulers have way lower expectations for legitimacy so shouldn't need to do as much stuff they can't afford.

Herpicle's advice is good on the general "being less poor" front.

If you're starting small as a vassal count or duke and trying to get bigger, your options are less direct (particularly as a Christian with only Christian neighbours), but they exist. Scope out promising marriages that could lead your kids to inherit more land/better titles, or claims on same that you can start wars for if you're militarily stronger (enough more men, enough better commanders, both). Forge those claims with your priest if you must. If you have good intrigue and no morals, you can speed up those inheritances a bit.

Suck up to or manipulate (dig up secrets and blackmail for hooks to use) your liege for a position at court - often they'll pay you directly or lend you advantages in stats/etc - or an advantageous marriage. Take the Golden Obligations perk and some intrigue perks and start a general blackmail side hustle if you just want the money. Absolutely, these things are slow compared to pagans or anyone on a religious boundary, unless you're willing to be a bit of a movie villain.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the absolute Main King poo poo is going and conquering

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Bloodly posted:

If you're tribal, raid. if you're not, do this:

1) Take the first perk on the left hand side of the Stewardship tree "Golden Obligations." This perk allows you to trade a hook on another character for cash.
2) Find an unmarried courtier. Select find spouse. Sort by intrigue. Marry them off. This super high intrigue character will now join your court. (I have a filter saved to sort by adult, unmarried courtiers, this is the easiest way to get super high prowess knights etc. too).
3) Make that super high intrigue character your spymaster.
3a) If that character hates you, sway them so they don't murder you.
4) Assign your spymaster to find secrets in Byzantium, the Abbasids, or some other large court. Faiths that freak out about sodomy will tend to have more secrets you can use.
5) When you find a secret, blackmail them for a hook.
6) You'll see an option to convert hooks to gold in the drop down menu. Use it.

This is by far the easiest way to get a stupid amount of gold in the early game as a feudal ruler. Kings and Emperors will freak out that a no name count on the other side of the world might know that they banged one of their courtiers or plotted to kill someone and offer you hundreds of gold to keep it secret. Strong hooks you can cash in every five years and turn foreign rulers into piggy banks. You can also use these hooks on their courtiers to make them join your court if they have good stats, or are unmarried so you can use them to get another character with great stats in your court. If you want and your ruler has good intrigue you can go down the left most intrigue tree and get the fabricate hooks ability and twice schemed to have two of those plots running at once too, basically tripling the number of hooks you can get this way. If you're a house head you'll be able to get cash from your relatives this way too.

When I challenge myself my first rule is not to take this perk. It essentially turns the game into super easy mode.

(This is what Dallan Invictus was talking about above, I'm just spelling it out in full detail so a brand new player can step by step it)

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 11, 2024

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Are the reviews for Legends of the Dead right? Should I skip this DLC

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the dead are extremely cool, the legends are pretty mediocre. the dead are free, the legends you pay for.

"do I want another 400-gold sink for marginal but very shiny benefit"

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the dead are extremely cool, the legends are pretty mediocre. the dead are free, the legends you pay for.

"do I want another 400-gold sink for marginal but very shiny benefit"

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well. My favorite parts of the expansion were in the free update and the legends system is very skippable. I would wishlist and wait for a mega sale.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Gotcha, thank you goons for being more measured than steam reviews

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There are some uses for legends, like dejure drifting from legitimizing legends, and the legend artifacts are pretty good. If you have the hunter tradition that unlocks the hunting lodge that's good (I was able to stack enough of these that I had almost -100% stress in one game), or the legacy that unlocks watchtowers.

It's all very, very expensive though, so from a practical perspective it's not so great. And it doesn't feel like you have as much impact on the development of the legends as would be appreciated.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Played a bit of CK3 co-op on the steam free weekend as an Abbasid duke, my son discovered gay people exist and it stressed me out so badly I had to take up journaling or go insane. Yes, this is definitely the sequel to CK2.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Did they raise the prices of activities? I tried to go on a tour and just visiting like 4 people was going to cost 5,000. I don’t remember it being that bad before.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
prices of activities scales pretty hard to your rank, amount of land, lots of fiddly things

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Era is also a big factor. Activities prices are quite high in the high and especially late medieval eras, you really gotta get those windmills/watermills/caravansaries out

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kestral posted:

Played a bit of CK3 co-op on the steam free weekend as an Abbasid duke, my son discovered gay people exist and it stressed me out so badly I had to take up journaling or go insane. Yes, this is definitely the sequel to CK2.

"Journaling"

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

That's why I like the activities dynasty legacy, making them cheaper and the first grand tour free is a lifesaver in the early-mid game.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Kestral posted:

In game or in real life?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

L.U.I.G.I posted:

In game or in real life?

If someone wants to make me an Abbasid duke irl, hmu, I know all sorts of ways to punish the perfidious Byzantines

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah yeah everyone wants a caliphate. how are you gonna deal with abdullah ii being a weeb for america, huh? call him takfir?

(this is unironically a fairly large problem with qutbists)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 12, 2024

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah yeah everyone wants a caliphate. how are you gonna deal with abdullah ii being a weeb for america, huh? call him takfir?

(this is unironically a fairly large problem with qutbists)

The solution my co-op partner settled on was to become perma-regent by assassinating every caliph right before they became an adult. No caliph, no problems! Well, still lots of problems, 99 problems but a caliph ain’t one

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Hunts are another early money source.

Take any choice that gives you an artifact, and then sell the artifacts. Uncommon Pressed flowers are 80 gold each. And you can hunt every other year by default (just pick the cheapest options). If you manage to slay an animal, hopefully it'll be low quality (i.e. not blue or purple) so you can sell the artifact.

If you're an early era Feudal Count it works out to be money positive if you take the cheapest options and sell the artifacts.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
selling artifacts is a mod, iirc

its a nice but cheaty option for the mod if you're rolling w the mod, but its a mod

e: gently caress, they added it to main game, sorry about that

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

You can "sell" (technically it's supposed to be scrapping them) artifacts of normal/green quality, but blue/purple are still a no-go without mods. So yes, hunts can give you some cash but only if the cost of the hunt itself is low enough.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Magil Zeal posted:

You can "sell" (technically it's supposed to be scrapping them) artifacts of normal/green quality, but blue/purple are still a no-go without mods. So yes, hunts can give you some cash but only if the cost of the hunt itself is low enough.

Aniconism lets you destroy blues and purples too.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Staltran posted:

Aniconism lets you destroy blues and purples too.

That's right; I'm not sure I ever have actually played as a faith with that tenet.

Activate
Oct 29, 2011

Is it better to focus your development narrowly on your own holdings or do you want to build just as much in your vassal’s lands equally?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Activate posted:

Is it better to focus your development narrowly on your own holdings or do you want to build just as much in your vassal’s lands equally?

Don't develop your vassal's territory. You will barely see any of the benefit of it and are basically just strengthening potential future rivals.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your vassals are your enemies, second only to your actual enemies. welcome to feudalism

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Activate posted:

The development only gives you 0.5% taxes and levies per level, so the direct economic benefits aren't exactly large. The development of your capital also affects some other stuff, like artifact quality from inspirations, a lot of universitiers require 30 development in the province to be built, and the chances and level of the town maven trait line from one of the Iberian legacy tracks. But mostly development matters because the average development of your culture affects tech speed. If the vassal's land isn't of your culture, definitely don't bother. If it is, and you don't plan on diverging or hybridizing your culture... maybe? Development does spread out to neighboring provinces, and you might very well have your capital in a county with a lot of holding slots, so it might have much better percentage bonuses to development (especially if coastal/on a major river). And while the taxes and artifact quality and stuff are fairly minor, they're still something. On the other hand it's now fairly easy to get a bunch of flat dev growth in your capital (tours, feasts I think, or maybe weddings? Also diligent of course), so it might make sense to make another high dev province for it to spread from. Especially if your steward doesn't have great stewardship (and isn't your friend), so the growth from the job isn't great at penalty cap.

But honestly I just dev the capital 90%+ of the time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Don't develop your vassal's territory. You will barely see any of the benefit of it and are basically just strengthening potential future rivals.

Just like you want to slam that tithe slider as far into gold as you can. Flesh is weak, gold is forever.

You must SQUEEZE - keep their coffers at a minimum, so they can barely field their troops for anything.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
So, after I converted my save from Imperator to CK3, I decided I would stop my expansion after taking Iberia and North Africa. However, because I had to wait 900 years to have access to innovations things spiraled out of control and I now control all of Europe and it's 1050. I'll be mega overpowered for EU4, right? And yes, I could technically give independence to several Kingdoms, but from a roleplay perspective that doesn't seem like a good fit, because I converted the whole world to my religion and then, when there were, like, 2 catholics, I decided to convert to catholicism and now the whole known world must be catholic.

Oh well, if I intend to take it to stellaris it kinda makes sense to unify the whole world, I guess.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, if you own all of Europe you own basically all the difficult land to take in EU4. The Americas aren't empty, but the countries are very weak compared to Europe. Asia would at least have countries to fight but you would steam roll them. Taking Constantinople before the game start kind of cripples the Ottomans, who are the major power in EU4.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Does anyone have any experience with Fallen Eagle (the Rome mod)? I'm playing as emperor of the Romans and keep getting dragged into wars I shouldn't be a party to. I've had several wars where I'm defending some guy's territory, yet we're not allied and he's outside my domain. The most recent one has me siding with some rando against my own vassal. The mod's using the struggle mechanics if that's somehow relevant.

No wonder the empire dissolved...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kestral posted:

The solution my co-op partner settled on was to become perma-regent by assassinating every caliph right before they became an adult. No caliph, no problems! Well, still lots of problems, 99 problems but a caliph ain’t one

I hope they named themselves Iznogoud II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's some weird thing with the "Free" DLC which is preventing me from loading a friend's MP save.

Clouture of the Capets and Elegance of the Empire are allegedly both free; but there seems to be no way of getting them? Couture of the Capets seems part of the Chapter III bundle, 37$, okay that's silly, but not outrageous; as I'll probably honestly want the other DLC as well.

But Elegance of the Empire is outright bugged. It seems a part of the Start Edition, 86$ despite already owning everything in it, Steam won't let me "Complete Your Collection" on the Bundle below it, where it's 0$, it says there's an error adding it to my cart?