Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

welp found the teleporter trap chest in weeping peninsula and had an eye opening map size revelation

Please report back after a few tens more hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I just cheesed the Draconian Tree Sentinel and I have no shame whatsoever.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

huh posted:

I just cheesed the Draconian Tree Sentinel and I have no shame whatsoever.

You shouldnt, gently caress him

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Can someone help me with navigating Mt. Gelmir? If I use the grace Seethewater Terminus I get up to a fort by the cliff, and I can't scale up the mountain. If I come in via Bridge of Iniquity the path goes on until a broken bridge. Am I missing anything from either grace or is the correct entry point elsewhere and if so, where please?

There should be a ladder before the broken bridge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
am I crazy, I thought draconic tree sentinel was very easy

you mostly just circle strafe him on your horse and run in after he does attacks to hit him

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I have discovered the hand cannon. Now joining co op and everything’s a nail.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Man I'm addicted to spanking on Margit as a summon right now. Like I got that stunning item and I've switched my load out, now I'm just joking on him. My best summon he was dead in less than a minute, he died coming out of his 2nd stun and so we skipped the 2nd phase completely.

Very unfortunate when the host falls off the cliff in the first 5 seconds though .

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
still not reading the thread yet but just want to say thank you for the title

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Extreme protip for anyone doing gelmir heros grave the physick effect that gives you a free hit works on the chariot

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

Judge Tesla posted:

taking a minimalist approach to UX

Quitting meaning you have to select quit, which logs you out, then log back in so you can select quit again to close the game isn't really "minimalist", and there's a number of UX issues like that in the game. Like with the "sort items by most recent" thing, there may be a way around it but who the gently caress knows how you're supposed to figure it out.

This game is good at many things but it has some atrocious menu decisions.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

am I crazy, I thought draconic tree sentinel was very easy

you mostly just circle strafe him on your horse and run in after he does attacks to hit him

Its that drat lightning strike one-shotting imo. Nerf that ability and my complaints for him are gone

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Noting that ballista bolt ammo is expensive enough that several boss fights I’m summoned for are rune neutral.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

Quitting meaning you have to select quit, which logs you out, then log back in so you can select quit again to close the game isn't really "minimalist", and there's a number of UX issues like that in the game. Like with the "sort items by most recent" thing, there may be a way around it but who the gently caress knows how you're supposed to figure it out.

This game is good at many things but it has some atrocious menu decisions.

The biggest menu decision for me besides "Quit to desktop" would be "Access Golden Runes from the Level Up menu"

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 6, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
ok, I give up. Those sparkly quick moving footprints with an invisible creator? I've found like five sets, no hints anywhere, just swinging in its path seems to do nothing. What the gently caress.

Also these spear crucible knights in the capital can gently caress right off

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm level 27 and just beat Godric. I'm extremely dumb and have poor reading comprehension so I've always been afraid of upgrading weapons in Souls games. I'm working on a faith build, I guess? I haven't found any weapons that seem better than my starting broadsword that I can use without a huge Dex pump, is it worth dumping some upgrades into that now or continuing to wait for something better?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't want a quest log per se since I don't want it to always be perfectly clear what my next step should be, but it would be nice if there was like a dialogue scrollback log where you could review what NPCs have said to you. It could be a weird esoteric interface that's part of your inventory tabs or something, I don't care. I accidentally skipped some dialogue while Renni was giving me a quest and I had to look up what she said online because otherwise I'd have no way of knowing what I was supposed to do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

ok, I give up. Those sparkly quick moving footprints with an invisible creator? I've found like five sets, no hints anywhere, just swinging in its path seems to do nothing. What the gently caress.

It is swinging in its path, but you gotta get a little infront of the foot prints to hit said invsible enemy. Using a weapon with a good fast sweeping attack is easiest.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

hazardousmouse posted:

Swinging in its path is what you're supposed to do, but you have to swing a little bit ahead of where the footprints are. It can be a bit tough but they are affected by environmental stuff if you can do AoE damage of any kind. I was trying to get one near a big egg thing that spits poison and it ran into the poison cloud and died, giving me the reward without me having to do anything.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

All but one of them I’ve seen so far you just follow them. A gold ghost will fade in for a second as you go and it leads you to a cave/thing of interest.

The odd one was in a poison swamp just invisibly going in a circle and you had to hit it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

hazardousmouse posted:

You just have to time the hit right, there's basically an invisible scarab moving REALLY FAST down that path, only takes a single hit to down.

In other news, I didn't think the underground shunning grounds were nearly as bad as advertised. A couple of confusing twists and turns, but that's what rainbow pebbles are for. However, hoo boy, this Haligtree area is some poo poo. I'm over level 120 with a +10 somber weapon and this place is just tearing me to shreds. I get that it's essentially one of two optional secret hardcore endgame zones but still!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Before I go crazy upgrading it, does the clawmark seal suck for regular miracles?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

Those are invisible teardrop scarabs. Try to figure out their path and swing your weapon ahead of it. One hit will do it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Wiltsghost posted:

I think maybe adding an in-game journal that you could type on would be cool. There's a mod for skyrim that does that and it's pretty neat.

Being able to add text notes to markers would be nice. So I could be like "oh no, big spooky bird here" or "weird puzzle here, what gently caress do" or even "locked door, come back later" instead of having to remember it all in my brain.

Anyway one thing I wish I could impress on rando players is that in co-op backstabs and critical attacks are nowhere near as useful as they were in the past unless you specifically build for them. Like, they do good damage but they also make the enemy invincible and in the time it takes for one person to do like 2k damage with a single backstab or critical, the two of us could do like 5k damage just whaling on the guy while he's down.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

I'm level 27 and just beat Godric. I'm extremely dumb and have poor reading comprehension so I've always been afraid of upgrading weapons in Souls games. I'm working on a faith build, I guess? I haven't found any weapons that seem better than my starting broadsword that I can use without a huge Dex pump, is it worth dumping some upgrades into that now or continuing to wait for something better?

Upgrade away, the materials are easy to come by exploring and you’ll unlock the ability to buy them from vendors soon enough.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Somberbrero posted:

Upgrading normal weapons isn't such a big deal just go for it. The cool weapons use a different smithing stone.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Shadowlz posted:

Upgrading normal weapons isn't such a big deal. The cool weapons use a different smiting stone.

Hilariously the way the resources in this game are balanced I'd say it's almost the other way around. Somber weapons are *so* much easier to upgrade than regulars because you need a lot less stones. I have three different somber weapons at +9 and one at +10 without having bought a single stone, while trying to keep both my backup in case of emergency hoarfrost weapon and my shield upgraded at the same time has proven nearly impossible.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Upgrade away, the materials are easy to come by exploring and you’ll unlock the ability to buy them from vendors soon enough.

Shadowlz posted:

Upgrading normal weapons isn't such a big deal just go for it. The cool weapons use a different smithing stone.

Cheers, thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
gently caress black knife catacombs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well some rear end in a top hat I summoned used some gigaton laser to nuke this boss when I was trying to say hello. That seems kind of rude. I mean, I'm being summoning myself to beat it now with someone else, and I had already gotten really close solo on horse, but still, wish there was some way to boo a player. I ran away from him so he couldn't gesture before vanishing, i hope that showed my disapproval. I was looking for a patsy to tank a lightning strike I don't know how to dodge if it can be, least maybe not on horse?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
god drat this took a long time. one slipup, but I'll take it.
spoilers for the boss in Auriza Hero's Grave, doing it as close to hitless as I managed over the course of many hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHjDq7nV5HU

managing both without slipping up is incredibly loving hard. thank god for carian piercer tbh

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
gently caress you Commander Niall. Goddamn that fight was hard

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
And that's the game beaten. What a ride.

Ended with the Ranni ending, with thanks to this thread as I would have missed out on that otherwise, since I never ever noticed the option to talk to the doll at graces in the underground sections. That's a pretty stupid place to put that stuff (same with Melina, really) but ah, got rescued by goons and the rest was pretty straightforward. The ending itself was, uh, kinda weirdly confusing. Not quite sure what happened or why, I'll have to read stuff I guess. But I married a witch whose spirit animates a creepy 4-handed blue doll, so burning the world tree was totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.

My only regret, but I'll hack at it now, is still not having beaten Malenia. I got close a few times, but no bananas after banging my head on her for hours. And it doesn't help that my big hammer is affected by the +25 bug meaning that upgrading it would be a downgrade, so it's "only" +24, and I like to think that this little upgrade could be the last little bit of help I need to get through. Defective hammer screenshot below:

Otherwise, I didn't expect so much stuff past the Fire Giant. The crumbled city is surprisingly big, and quite the unexpected boss rush. That Elden Beast fight at the end felt pretty jank, mind. I died a few times to that yellow ball following you while tiny shooting stars hammer you at the same time, but somehow managed to survive it on a sliver of health on the winning run, just enough to heal up and jump back into the fray.

I can't help but wonder how much I missed now. While the map is fully revealed (unlike before i went to the Halig Tree area), some places look like areas of interest, like the coastal city in between the capital and the volcano.

edit: drat, had mangled the spoiler tags, fixed now.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 6, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1500173945634443279?s=21

He’s right

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

gently caress you Commander Niall. Goddamn that fight was hard

just beat this guy too, it was very fun. here's a tip for everyone, use your great runes. I had 15 rune arcs saved up and it made all the difference

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress every single dog in this game

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
preceptor miriam should have an achievement, ive died 10x more trying to kill her than any of the bosses =_=

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Agreed, Elden Ring would be better if it was Dark Souls 2

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I think some of my favorite moments in this game have been the weird, unexplained poo poo

I opened a chest and oh, suddenly I'm fighting a giant golem next to the world tree/running from shrimp wizards. I'm wandering through a swamp and am being attacked by a giant lobster with sniping capabilities. I'm walking through a area filled with abandoned carts and suddenly A giant, four-winged dragon appears, throws lightning at me, then fucks off when I start hurting it. One of the easy boatmen bosses decides to pull out a building sized skeleton to smack me with. I travel across one of the leyndell bridges and suddenly I'm in the abyss fighting the discount Margott brothers.

It seems like no matter where I go, there's something that'll make me gape at the screen and go "sweet mother of gently caress, what the hell"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

ooh, lightning spear feels real good to use. Now I have to consider leveling mind or bribing some cerulean flasks with me…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

hazardousmouse posted:

Personally I find it easiest to find part where they're a relatively straight line, then hold down heavy attack while on a horse so they just run into my perpetual attack. Easier than timing a swing for me.