Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They want to be unique and stand out so they buy a dark grey R32 skyline and put volk TE37s on it and drive to car meets and park beside the other dark grey R32 skylines with volk TE37s on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I saw an R32 GTS-T in my small Virginian town the other day, still had 30-day temp tags on it.

It was dark grey with TE37s :v:

e; also I don't give a single gently caress, I love the Skyline a whole bunch.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I probably should say that my opinions on this topic are probably invalid/broken, since my dream Japanese car is a Subaru SVX, which is pretty much the poster child of A for effort, C for execution.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

They want to be unique and stand out so they buy a dark grey R32 skyline and put volk TE37s on it and drive to car meets and park beside the other dark grey R32 skylines with volk TE37s on them.

Pretty much sums it up.

A lot of them up here are becoming run down I see one in my neighborhood that has the spraypaint paint job. I get why they have appeal, I don't think the car is worthy of the massive cult following it has or even importing. The Pulsar GTI-R was always more interesting to me because it looks like a meth head designed it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would still probably take a JDM Fozzy STI over a GTR because at least the FSTI isn't outright banned and the insurance would probably be a lot cheaper

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

1500quidporsche posted:

The Pulsar GTI-R was always more interesting to me because it looks like a meth head designed it.

I've seen two here locally in the past five years. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$1500 for this, it had to be used to dump bodies or something right?

http://battlecreek.craigslist.org/cto/4909515671.html

quote:

It is a 2004 Mazda B3000. It is in great condition with a few faults. It needs a new computer that controls the engine (PCM). It can drive without the PCM but it runs rough. The back brakes need work. It has a brand new battery, fuel pump, and has an after market radio. The body is in excellent condition with hardly any rust because it has only been in Michigan for 2 years. It was in the south before that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
"It can drive without the PCM"? What?

Also, who's to say that the computer is even the problem? Seems to me like the ECU gets blamed most of the time when there's a separate fault. Price is still fair, though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That driver side rear wheel looks really wonky, but its possible its just the way its sitting on the ground and the second picture was taken somewhere else?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think the whole 4-wheel-steering thing is cool, but then again, the 300zx has it, and you can get a nice TT Z32 for 10-15k, rather than 120k.

It's not. It really, really isn't. It's does nothing for handling and adds a ton of weight in the back. It makes parallel parking vaguely easier but the car's not very big, so there's really no point to it. Google "HICAS lock bar" to see what the better solution is.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Setting the lesster GTS-T and GTS-4 models aside, the R32 GT-R is a homologation special that pretty much dominated every group A/N series it raced in. But unlike Sierra Cosworths and E30 M3s they actually sold a shittone of them.

I'd have a gunmetal gray one on TE37s any day, only thing stopping me is I dont have a garage to store it in and I honestly wouldnt want to park it out on the street.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Probably a lot of the appeal of the skyline (at least before Fast and the Furious made it ricer cool anyway) of the skyline was the racing pedigree. It was known as "Godzilla" after all. The other big part of the appeal was that the engines were all designed for high hp (homologation specials that they were) and then neutered via turning and boost to fit into japan's "gentlemen's agreement".

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
And the AWD system was pretty neat for its time, it was some Porsche 959 level poo poo in a relatively inexpensive Japanese car.

Lots of people rock Gunmetal grey R32s with TE37s because they look awesome and I would drive one everyday. Powershift just hates everything.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here have some relevant gold.

http://www.global-auto.ne.jp/stock/public_stock_detail.php?entry=0151.dat&model=BNR32

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want one in bright red on something like an Enkei YS5

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

And the AWD system was pretty neat for its time, it was some Porsche 959 level poo poo in a relatively inexpensive Japanese car.

Lots of people rock Gunmetal grey R32s with TE37s because they look awesome and I would drive one everyday. Powershift just hates everything.

I like 'em all but my favorite ones are either the actual Group A race cars or White ones with stock 16" wheels.

Also, in racing at least, it was massively more successful than the 959/961.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

BBS LMs look pretty good on it too:

However, that is not a thing from the Craigslist. This is:

Ad is gone. As usual, it was a Fiero http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/1/...eplica-7724586/

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is there a reason why fieros are always used for kit cars like that?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mariooncrack posted:

Is there a reason why fieros are always used for kit cars like that?

The body panels are plastic or something that you can drill right out and bolt your fiberglass atrocity straight to the frame.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

It's also super cheap and mid-engined.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

razorscooter posted:

It's also super cheap and mid-engined.

I think that's the biggest draw. Cheap, mid-engined, 5-lug wheels.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This one is probably legit because it's a military import, When I was in the AF and in Japan lots of guys did it, you just gotta pony up the cash to get them up to DOT standards. I thought about bringing my GSXR750 at the time but didn't want to pay to get it up to par since I could have just got one here anyway.

If he is legit in the military and imported it himself, all the paperwork should be in order and it should be exempt from the crusher.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Human Grand Prix posted:

I like 'em all but my favorite ones are either the actual Group A race cars or White ones with stock 16" wheels.

The R32 GT-R had some of the best stock wheels I've ever seen along with the E36 M3. I would absolutely rock a bone stock gunmetal one and could probably straight trade my current car for a pretty fair condition example but I don't think I'd like using a RHD car daily in the city. Although backing through drive thru's is always fun.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

leica posted:

This one is probably legit because it's a military import, When I was in the AF and in Japan lots of guys did it, you just gotta pony up the cash to get them up to DOT standards. I thought about bringing my GSXR750 at the time but didn't want to pay to get it up to par since I could have just got one here anyway.

If he is legit in the military and imported it himself, all the paperwork should be in order and it should be exempt from the crusher.

There's no exemption for the military, if there were there'd be a lot more Japanese and European cars running around.

It might be legit...next year.

Also, all this talk of "where did all this Skyline obsession come from?" and no one mentions Gran Turismo?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Human Grand Prix posted:

Also, in racing at least, it was massively more successful than the 959/961.

They came in 16" because that's what the homologation rules specified. Once that was changed they introduced the V-Spec with 17" so it could fit bigger brakes.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I have a friend who has an R32 Skyline GTR.

It had its odometer rolled back (the mythic 100k kilometer "Japanese don't drive their cars" thing) and barely made over 200 AWHP on a Dyno Dynamics dyno with some typical light mods, and has some rust issues.

It's also Gunmetal. :toot:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

It had its odometer rolled back (the mythic 100k kilometer "Japanese don't drive their cars" thing) and barely made over 200 AWHP on a Dyno Dynamics dyno with some typical light mods, and has some rust issues.

I swear all the grey imports us/canada get seem to be really poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Memento posted:

It's not. It really, really isn't. It's does nothing for handling and adds a ton of weight in the back. It makes parallel parking vaguely easier but the car's not very big, so there's really no point to it. Google "HICAS lock bar" to see what the better solution is.

I'm not talking about performance, I'm talking about cool technology, regardless of how effective it is.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Longinus00 posted:

They came in 16" because that's what the homologation rules specified. Once that was changed they introduced the V-Spec with 17" so it could fit bigger brakes.

I am aware. Just Sayin'.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

They also get new engines every 50k and were most certainly NOT bought from a breaking yard in Osaka.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

That's just JDM. All European grey market cars I see tend to be in really good shape for their age.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

track day bro! posted:

Canada's "tuner" culture is really bad. Ontario or Quebec is the absolute worst. No maintenance/halfassed garbage, dumb stance people, and guys with too much money (at the time of purchase, anyway) and not enough sense. I can't speak for Western Canada (their cars seem to be in much better shape) but never, ever in your life buy any sports car from Ontario without a meticulous inspection, correct paperwork, and concrete evidence it wasn't driven in the Southern Ontario/Quebec Salt bath.

TL;DR: Run, don't walk away from any RHD Import located in Eastern Canada.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Human Grand Prix posted:

They also get new engines every 50k and were most certainly NOT bought from a breaking yard in Osaka.

What get new engines every 50k?

Are you satirizing JDM myths? I can't tell.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

What get new engines every 50k?

Are you satirizing JDM myths? I can't tell.

All Japanese cars get new engines every 50k. My cousin Steve told me this-he's been to several brothels in the Taiheiyo Belt and knows what's up.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I actually saw that meme in the wild recently.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

There's no exemption for the military, if there were there'd be a lot more Japanese and European cars running around.

It might be legit...next year.

Also, all this talk of "where did all this Skyline obsession come from?" and no one mentions Gran Turismo?

My friend that was stationed in Germany brought over her Opel, and I know a few other people who brought over their European car when they were promoted to citizens so I think Leica may be right, especially since there is an AFB right by there.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Canada's "tuner" culture is really bad. Ontario or Quebec is the absolute worst. No maintenance/halfassed garbage, dumb stance people, and guys with too much money (at the time of purchase, anyway) and not enough sense. I can't speak for Western Canada (their cars seem to be in much better shape) but never, ever in your life buy any sports car from Ontario without a meticulous inspection, correct paperwork, and concrete evidence it wasn't driven in the Southern Ontario/Quebec Salt bath.

TL;DR: Run, don't walk away from any RHD Import located in Eastern Canada.

The only difference in Western Canada is oil money keeps the idiots going past the initial purchase. There's one forum here where its not uncommon to see something like a Silvia that has an exhaust, chip tune and some suspension bits thrown at it listed for $15k.

I've never gone out to look at these cars, but my general impression is that people throw tons of money at these cars with no clue what they're doing and are trying to recoup as much as possible.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Tusen Takk posted:

My friend that was stationed in Germany brought over her Opel, and I know a few other people who brought over their European car when they were promoted to citizens so I think Leica may be right, especially since there is an AFB right by there.

And lots of people have brought a lot of illegal vehicles into the US and had them crushed.

This is the only exemption I could find for military personell: they do not need to pay import duties on one car.

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

quote:

Military and civilian employees of the U.S. government returning at the end of an assignment to extended duty outside the CBP territory of the U.S. may include a conforming vehicle among their duty-free personal and household effects. The auto must have been purchased abroad and be in its owner's possession prior to departure. Generally, extended duty is 140 days or more. Navy personnel serving aboard a U.S. naval vessel or a supporting naval vessel from its departure from the U.S. to its return after an intended overseas deployment of 120 days or more are entitled to the extended-duty exemption. Conforming vehicles imported under the duty-free exemption are dutiable if sold within one year of importation. Duty must be paid at the most convenient CBP office before the sale is completed. Conforming vehicles so imported may remain in the U.S. indefinitely once a formal entry is made for EPA purposes.

There is no exemption to safety and environmental requirements.
http://www.monterey.army.mil/Logisitics/inc/povship.pdf

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

1500quidporsche posted:

The only difference in Western Canada is oil money keeps the idiots going past the initial purchase.
Well that too, but the rust from back east is a sight to behold. I was shocked the first time I saw what I saw a year old car have the rust of a 25 year old car in Alberta. No joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4915760166.html

Doesn't appear to be the stock motor

Maksimus54 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 3, 2015