Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

being an awful human being that can't stop hitting on women to cover up his flagrant insecurities.

Like I said, cowboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I remember that being Irvine, it was my favorite reveal in that game, because the line is like "I knew the whole time but no one else mentioned it so I would have felt weird bringing it up". Guys self-esteem issues prevented him from talking about it, what a great conversation that was.

FF8 is not a fun game and I didn't like it, but it's definitely the most insane of the bunch and the only FF game that someone should take a crack at making a film out of, not 7 or whatever else has been done in the past.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My favorite part about Irvine is when Squall is remembering all the kids at the orphanage. When he gets to Irvine, all he says is "I don't remember you". He has so little actual personality that the game didn't even bother giving him a sentence of backstory.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Barudak posted:

Irvine is a ponytail wearing cowboy, ergo he is not a cowboy. QED.

Vanille is in the same realm of poo poo but she has the benefit of not having been trained from birth to do one thing, have everyone tell you they are amazing at one thing, and then reveal they are actually incapable of actually doing that one thing. And you know, being an awful human being that can't stop hitting on women to cover up his flagrant insecurities.
My memory is telling me that the reason he couldn't shoot wasn't incompetence, but because she's basically his mom. Also: teenager.

My memory may be lying to me though. I knew I shouldn't have gotten into junctioning, but all the cool kids were doing it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The world of FF8 has forgotten most of its history, and it's not because they didn't write it down, just that they don't care about anything but today. SeeDs trade memories for power, they just switched to cable when all the channels were blocked by magic, and in fact that jamming says "I WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ME;" you go enter dungeons that are named for the way nobody knows what's buried in them, everybody is impulsive and irresponsible because they only care about their feelings at this instant, or they fear the future and regret the past; and - here's the big one - the ability to understand the past is literally magic. The people of the world have chosen a feeling of stasis, and the villains are those who want to perpetuate it; Deling and NORG with their perpetual wars, Adel wanting the world to fear her permanently even as she's locked in suspended animation, Cid recruiting child soldiers heedless of how that's going to gently caress them up, Squall's own lovely attitude at the start, and of course Ultimecia's plan to literally make the past, present, and future all the same.

7 got goofy in parts, but 8 tended to become outright stupid. I suspect there's a bit of an uncanny valley effect to this; the abstractions are less obvious and there are mismatches in narrative resolution. It has the internal consistency and style-over-substance values of a music video, just a rapid sequence of images and metaphors. To enjoy it best, don't plan and don't remember, just live in the moment; in this way, you'll understand the way of thinking that the game is talking about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

My memory is telling me that the reason he couldn't shoot wasn't incompetence, but because she's basically his mom. Also: teenager.

My memory may be lying to me though. I knew I shouldn't have gotten into junctioning, but all the cool kids were doing it.

She is basically his mom as we learn later. That would be fine. The problem is he use the phrase "Every time" when referencing the fact that he's not able to shoot. It's likely a mistranslation/poor construction and meant to be "every time I think about this particular sniping I choke" or I guess a nod to time kompression but as it is it implies he simply has never successfully done his job before.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To quote a line earlier in the game:

Selphie: This is way too confusing... let's just concentrate on our first mission!

Really, what purpose would there have been in dropping the news any earlier? Irvine had just reconnected with them after 10 years. Does bringing up, 'Hey, we used to know each other as kids, but since GFs cause memory loss you guys don't know that.' help their situation at that point in time? The first time Edea's name even comes up was during the briefing by Caraway, so Irvine didn't even know he was about to assassinate his pseudo-mom til they were about to do it, at which point there would really have been no point in doing so since they were there under direct orders. Later on, since Squall was commander of the Garden, at least he had the power to do something with that information.

The whole 'we're actually childhood friends!' plot point is barely part of the plot since them being childhood friends means nothing. The only reasons for the orphanage subplot are to establish Edea's link with the kids, to explain why Squall is such a bitter pill, and to make the orphanage a point for them to reconnect to during Time Compression.

So I don't really hold anything against Irvine for that part. Faltering before making the shot, sure, but that's semi-understandable, if not professional. And I think he was fibbing about it happening 'every time', because giving the real reason wouldn't work because it was definitely Not The Time for it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

It's Irvine. Selphie handwaves her not mentioning away by getting a GF while training as a kid at Trabia.

Ahahaha, he basically did that thing on candid camera where the dude walks into the elevator and everyone is facing the back wall, except in this case it's a bunch of people he grew up with treating him like a complete stranger.

"welp, better not say anything, don't wanna ruffle any feathers"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nihilarian posted:

Yeah, it's that. But also because the shot was kind of reasonably impossible to make in the first place.

She's on the float... driving away from the vantage point. And he has to shoot her when he outright cannot target her, because the giant back of the float is in the way. The bullet had to somehow curve around so Edea could block it in the way he did, and he seemingly managed that. Dude's apparently competent at shooting things. Just not when it matters, and especially not when it's effectively mother.

OK, sure, the real reason for the giant inconsistency is whoever thought up that particular scenario never even thought about it beyond "wouldn't it be cool if..." and somehow no one who actually implemented it noticed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ApplesandOranges posted:

Really, what purpose would there have been in dropping the news any earlier? Irvine had just reconnected with them after 10 years. Does bringing up, 'Hey, we used to know each other as kids, but since GFs cause memory loss you guys don't know that.' help their situation at that point in time? The first time Edea's name even comes up was during the briefing by Caraway, so Irvine didn't even know he was about to assassinate his pseudo-mom til they were about to do it, at which point there would really have been no point in doing so since they were there under direct orders. Later on, since Squall was commander of the Garden, at least he had the power to do something with that information.

Irvine doesn't know the team doesn't remember though. I find it very hard to believe Irvine would never say "Hey, I remember you guys!" even once before it became a thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think the problem with that Irvine reveal is (of course, since it's FF8) that not enough thought is put into it before or after. If you think of it in terms of "I was ordered to go out and kill my mom" then his reaction is, I think, pretty understandable. The problem with the game is that it never goes to the trouble of actually having a character, doesn't even have to be Irvine and in fact it might work better if it's not, say anything about it. Instead it's dropped, in keeping with FF8's character ethos of never spending too much time on things that aren't directly applicable to Squall. And then when he actually does the reveal, it's just because. A competent writer would have done something like this.

1. Establish that Irvine is good at shooting guns. You don't even have to have him shoot five guys with one bullet or anything, it could be as simple as shooting a sword out of a guy's hand and then shooting a guy who's sneaking up behind him without even turning around. They didn't even need to be creative about it. In the game we are told he is the best marksman that Garden has available, but he never gets to demonstrate that.
2. When Irvine goes to shoot the sorceress, oh no! He's freaking out, what's going on? When Irvine gets all weird when we go to the tower, it's the first time we've ever seen him actually do the thing that his boss said he was THE VERY BEST AT. We don't know that this particular mission has personal significance or anything, so he just comes off as a flake.
3. When everyone gets back together at the prison, have Irvine say "hey when we all meet back up, I want to explain why I hosed up back there," and then when he finally reveals that poo poo it's properly set up and doesn't just come off as a guy saying "HELLO IT IS TIME FOR ME TO REVEAL A PLOT TWIST."

If you're going to make one of your big reveals be, in practice "one character explains things to the others" you need to set it up better than just have them decide to do it. "Fei is Id" wouldn't have been as enjoyable if there were no prior hints that Citan was keeping an eye on you and that he knew something about you that you didn't, so when he did say "DUDE YOU ARE ID, GET YOUR poo poo TOGETHER!" there's the satisfaction of getting to put the pieces together.

e: I have a hard time blaming Irvine for that mission's failure when it was pretty clear that his shot was spot on AND it was the worst plan you can imagine.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 30, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something I always took for granted but which a lot of other people don't is that Seifer forgot just like the rest of them and only learned the truth when Ulti-Edea told him. He talks about her being their matron when you confront him on Galbadia Garden but never brings this up beforehand. Others disagree with my interpretation and say he's just another Irvine ie. "I didn't say it because why should I." I don't think there's a definitive answer one way or another.

I will say that out of the whole mess that is FFVIII with its terrible characters, I think Seifer was done mostly competently. His presence in the story is well-established(for the first two diks), his motivations are clear and he actually goes through some character development if you count his degenerating mental state as development.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm replaying the Steam version of FFVII thanks to the holiday sale. Are certain parts of the Midgar section, like the gym in Sector 6, as incomprehensible as I think they are? I have no goddamn clue what the gently caress was happening there except for "do squats to get a wig. PS it doesn't matter if you win or not". There was something about a "Big Bro", but I have no clue who that is. Most of the main plot is pretty understandable so far, but it turns into nonsense and misleading information when you talk to anyone that's not directly related to the main plot.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 30, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

closeted republican posted:

I'm replaying the Steam version of FFVII thanks to the holiday sale. Are certain parts of the Midgar section, like the gym in Sector 6, as incomprehensible as I think they are? I have no goddamn clue what the gently caress was happening there except for "do squats to get a wig. PS it doesn't matter if you win or not". There was something about a "Big Bro", but I have no clue who that is. Most of the main plot is pretty understandable so far, but it turns into nonsense and misleading information when you talk to anyone that's not directly related to the main plot.

The translation in the game is...not great. I'm pretty sure that Big Bro is the crossdressing guy in the gym that knocks the other guy flat on his rear end.

There are a lot of other confusing or just plain wrong translations in Midgar, like when you go into the Honeybee Inn and this exchange happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLGvNGOKJ8

FF7 can be a really confusing game to follow sometimes. It has the worst translation of any main series FF game I've played. I wish they'd have re-translated some of that poo poo with the steam release.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Do you want to be Don Corneo's companion for the evening? If yes, please get out a FAQ now because that quest is really easy to mess up, if no, don't worry about it (the quest is Cloud's adventure through Sector 6's LGBT scene).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favourite part of FFVIII is the stupid space cutscene, ebcause I can't help but think of the end of Gundam F91 whenever I see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ZDl6p8NCA (Forgive terrible dub)
For all that it was a movie pieced together from the cutting room floor clipping of a failed tv series, it's still a more coherent story than FFVIII.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cannot Find Server posted:

FF7 can be a really confusing game to follow sometimes. It has the worst translation of any main series FF game I've played. I wish they'd have re-translated some of that poo poo with the steam release.

Having just replayed FFVII recently for the first time in probably a decade, I had the exact same observation, specifically in the Midgar sections mentioned above. The Wall Market stuff isn't even the worst offender; there's huge chunks of dialogue when you meet Aeris and Reno in the church that makes absolutely no sense. I guess it didn't help that the script goes from "I'm Cloud and I just fell through your ceiling" to "hey, I'm Aeris and I have materia that does nothing" in the space of about three lines. That whole sequence could use a rewrite if this thing ever gets remade.

I used to think that FFVI got the shorter end of the stick with its localization, but not anymore. It's not even a Suikoden II vs. Suikoden III argument trying to figure out which game hit its head against the language barrier the hardest. FFVII's translation is just straight-up busted. It's kind of remarkable considering the occasional complexity of its narrative that any meaning or nuance got through at all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Delsaber posted:

I used to think that FFVI got the shorter end of the stick with its localization

I admit, I'm curious as to why you thought that. Even when I was younger, renting FF7 as my first RPG and trying to play it without owning a memory card (:suicide:) the text didn't feel right to me. A couple years later when I played FF6, I didn't have anything remotely like that feeling.

Also this guy are sick.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Delsaber posted:

I used to think that FFVI got the shorter end of the stick with its localization, but not anymore. It's not even a Suikoden II vs. Suikoden III argument trying to figure out which game hit its head against the language barrier the hardest. FFVII's translation is just straight-up busted. It's kind of remarkable considering the occasional complexity of its narrative that any meaning or nuance got through at all.

FF6's translation can be kinda clunky or silly sometimes, but at no point did it actually confuse me or not make any sense at all. FF7 had this problem a lot, especially early on. I always though that it's kind of weird how much better the translation gets once you leave Midgar. Still not amazing, but not downright confusing either.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

You can get Holy Wars pretty much as soon as you start Disc 2. You can snag 100 Heroes about halfway through Disc 3. You can get infinite Heroes and Holy Wars very easily on Disc 4.

From a while back, but whenever people mention ridiculous ways to break FF8 there's always something new that I haven't heard of. Is there a decent FAQ anywhere that covers most of this stuff? I've seen a few on how to beat the game without ever levelling up, or getting Lionheart on disc 1 or whatever but they all seem way too much effort for the reward - it'd be great to know some of the easier strategies to break the game that don't require too much grinding.

I know about minimising levels (either by using Encounter-None or the Card ability), refining Curaga magic from Tents to junction to HP and then keeping everyone in critical to abuse limit breaks, and refining Tents into Mega-Potions to sell for a profit, all of which would probably cover me for most of the game to be honest but the other stuff sounds interesting too. What are these sources for Holy Wars and Heroes? I think the 100 Heroes is from refining a card (Laguna's, maybe? Can't remember), but the other two? Also, I think I've heard mention of the Card Queen having all the cards on disc 4 - is that the best way to get rare cards back once you're refined them?

I also think I've heard about Zell's limit break being very useful - is this just spamming the 2-button combos over and over to rack up the damage, or are there specific moves that are best for maximum damage? Apart from that, advice on how to get the really useful magic spells like Meltdown, Aura, Ultima, etc. relatively early would also be super useful, but I'd imagine they mostly boil down to refining cards into items, then items into the spells. Is there anything else thats easy to abuse?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Here's some quick stuff I can think of:

Disc 1:
  • Mod Quistis' card to three Samantha Souls. Refine them using Diablos for 180x Triple spells.
  • Mod Zell's card for 3x Str+60%.
  • Gayla cards mod into Mystery Fluids, which are 10x Pain spells each with Diablos.
  • Sacred can be modded into 2000x Quake spells, which are decent junctions til you get better stuff.
  • Losing Minimog to the Card Queen before you leave Balamb and sending her to Dollet allows you to get the Kiros card in Deiling, which mods to 3x Auto-Haste.

Disc 2:
  • The Gilgamesh Card (gotten from King during the CC quest after Fisherman's Horizon) mods to 10x Holy Wars.
  • Meltdrown is drawable from level 30+ Gaylas near Trabia. You can put it off til Disc 3 though if you don't want to level or use LVL UP.
  • Pandemona can be modified into 2000x Tornado spells, which are decent junctions til you get better stuff.
  • Chef's Knives mod into either ammo for Irvine or 30x Death spells each.

Disc 3:
  • Laguna card mods into 100x Heroes. A bit of an annoyance to get on Disc 3 however.
  • Doomtrain (from the Card Queen quest) mods into 3x StDef-Jx4. Not required but useful for fighting Malboros. Phoenix, also from the quest, mods into 3x Phoenix Spirits, which can either be used to teach Revive, or mod into 100x Full-Life spells each.

Disc 4:
-Use the CC group in the Ragnarok to get cards back. Diamond is your best bet.

Zell is essentially Punch Rush/Mach Kick <-> Booya. Mach Kick is better damage so it's better if you can do the inputs. For high HP enemies vulnerable to gravity (Diablos, T-Rexaurs, Tonberries), Meteor Strike is a good move to throw into a loop if you can work it in. I think the easiest Meteor Strike loop is to go from Booya, then:

Heel Drop > Meteor Strike > Dolphin Blow > repeat

You don't need to have read the magazines to be able to do the moves.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 30, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Getting Laguna's card on Disc 3 is actually pretty easy if you manipulate the RNG to remove either Random or Plus (whichever you hate more). I always opt to get rid of Random, since I don't mind Plus that much.

Adeptus posted:

What are these sources for Holy Wars and Heroes? I think the 100 Heroes is from refining a card (Laguna's, maybe? Can't remember), but the other two? Also, I think I've heard mention of the Card Queen having all the cards on disc 4 - is that the best way to get rare cards back once you're refined them?

You can get 10 Holy Wars from Gilgamesh's card, 100 Heroes is from Laguna's, yeah. The QoC only has the cards from her sidequest that you never got but that's the wrong way to do it because she's a pain on Disc 4. On the Ragnarok in Disc 4, the CC Club has every card that you don't currently own. It doesn't matter if you never had them, lost them to someone else or outright refined them. They have everything. The catch is that they shuffle the cards around themselves... except Diamond. Specifically, the left girl will almost always play whichever level 8, 9 or 10 cards you don't currently have in order (so from Chubby Chocobo first to Squall last). It's only one at a time, but she plays rare cards a lot more often than not.

They use various rules from around the world, but the only 2 that really matter are Trabia (for Diamond) and Lunar (for King, who's the best source of every card from level 7 and below if you want to mod those).

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 30, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Barudak posted:

Irvine Kinneas please step on down and claim your prize as "Worst FF Party Memember." It was a tough competition but you've done it by being incompetent at your job, good at hiding it from your superiors, unable to talk to other human beings like a normal person, and withholding critical information from the rest of the squad/family for no reason. I hope you're happy knowing that someone whose only ability was talking to beavers is a better human being than you.

I would almost give him a pass for all of that, except his ONE JOB is to be a sniper, and when they have to do a sniping mission, he loving chickens out and won't do it until Squall loving makes him. Seriously dude :wtc:

I completely echo everything being said about FF8. Its really great if you're like 10-16, and the scenes on their own are actually really cool. It has a pretty cool world and style to its own. But the narrative and plot are a loving mess. I liked it when I was 10-16 and that's why, and now I have a really hard time not hating it, other than nostalgia keeping me going. The story is just so batshit insane, we haven't even begun to touch on how nonsensical everybody acts throughout the game.

The biggest problem though is you just know nothing about Ultemicia/Edea and have no real motivation whatsoever for time compression. So everything is a wash.

I can come up with a plot that kinda makes sense, but the game in no way explains it at all. So if anything the best thing the game has going for it is "ooh its a huge mystery!", that just keeps delaying you and saying "no wait guys it'll be so cool!" with no payoff, like LOST. :rolleyes:

Actually, LOST is a really good comparison to FF8, with time jumps and everything.

My explanation: In a previous lifetime, Squall and Rinoa fall in love, except Squall dies protecting her. Rinoa becomes the sorceress of her time, but without Squall around she becomes lonely and angry and becomes Ultemicia. She attempts to use her sorceress power to bring back Squall by altering time, but when she does so events play out the way they did before, with Squall dying over and over groundhog day / final destination style. To get around this, Ultemicia/Rinoa decides the only way to live with Squall forever is to destroy time itself, aka time compression. poo poo gets crazy from there, as it does when you're playing with time travel, but Rinoa being Ultemecia is the only thing that makes the story remotely satisfying. So the theme is that Squall and Rinoa held on too tight, and they have to kinda be willing to let each other go. (Although not give up on each other either) But then in the end they get to live happily ever after with each other after all? I don't loving know.

Ultimately, when you think about it, FFX is kinda like a rewrite of FF8. They both involve some time travel and memory loss and ultimately hinge on a love story and sacrifice. X kinda revisited the same idea, but nixed the child soldiers PMC concept, swapped sorceresses for Sin, and made a lot more sense.

Yeah, I just replayed that part on Steam too and it was more awkward than I remembered. I even knew exactly what you had to do for Miss Cloud :cheeky: but I rushed to Corneo's place and nothing. Went to the dress store, nothing. Went to the bar, nothing. WTF am I missing? Go to Honey Bee Inn, nothing. What. Ends up you gotta go to Honey Bee THEN Corneo's place, and then you get the "okay lets dress you up" dialogue and NOW you can talk to the dress store owner. Whoops.

The Big Bro stuff made sense to me, but I guess its because those wrestling trannies were pretty memorable :haw:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 30, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zaphod42 posted:

My explanation: Ultimecia is Future Rinoa

This is one of the few fan theories the game's developers have actually commented on. They said that she's not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I can come up with a plot that kinda makes sense, but the game in no way explains it at all. So if anything the best thing the game has going for it is "ooh its a huge mystery!", that just keeps delaying you and saying "no wait guys it'll be so cool!" with no payoff, like LOST.

Actually, LOST is a really good comparison to FF8, with time jumps and everything.

Personally I'm fairly certain that FF13 was an attempt to emulate LOST in a lot of ways, but I admit that's mostly because Sazh just wanted to get his boy back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

W.T. Fits posted:

This is one of the few fan theories the game's developers have actually commented on. They said that she's not.

Oh I don't give two fucks if its canon or not, like I said even if it was the game doesn't really tell you. But its the only thing that makes it remotely satisfying for me. Otherwise everything is just meaningless chaos.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I admit, I'm curious as to why you thought that. Even when I was younger, renting FF7 as my first RPG and trying to play it without owning a memory card (:suicide:) the text didn't feel right to me. A couple years later when I played FF6, I didn't have anything remotely like that feeling.

Also this guy are sick.

I'd like to go back and ask my younger self the same question. I guess something always felt off to me about FFVI's translation, even if it wasn't nearly as messy as VII. Something in the tone perhaps?

I probably also glossed over a lot of VII's issues, especially the early hours where those problems are most noticeable, trying to keep up with my friends who were also all playing it for the first time. It probably wasn't until my second run that I really started to notice all the weird flaws.

I wonder when it was that Square finally started taking more care with their localization work? FFIX maybe? Though not as bad as VII, I remember the first translation for Tactics being pretty drat rough in places as well. "Blame yourself or God" still gets a laugh in parts of my circle.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 30, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Delsaber posted:

I'd like to go back and ask my younger self the same question. I guess something always felt off to me about FFVI's translation, even if it wasn't nearly as messy as VII. Something in the tone perhaps?

I probably also glossed over a lot of VII's issues, especially the early hours where those problems are most noticeable, trying to keep up with my friends who were also all playing it for the first time. It probably wasn't until my second run that I really started to notice all the weird flaws.

I wonder when it was that Square finally started taking more care with their localization work? FFIX maybe? Though not as bad as VII, I remember the first translation for Tactics being pretty drat rough in that area as well. "Blame yourself or God" still gets a laugh in parts of my circle.
FFVIII had a mess of a story but I don't think it had any major translation issues. It makes sense they would pay more attention to it after the huge success of FFVII.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Delsaber posted:

I wonder when it was that Square finally started taking more care with their localization work? FFIX maybe? Though not as bad as VII, I remember the first translation for Tactics being pretty drat rough in places as well. "Blame yourself or God" still gets a laugh in parts of my circle.

I find this funny, because my friends and I thought the line was one of Delita's most badass moments. I suppose it's a little silly if you're just looking at the words as written, but it's so cold and blunt that it works in context. It's the first hint we get that Delita understands that he's a cog in the machine rather than an independent human being, and his entire motivation is changing that.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Apparently the actual backstory for Ultimecia is that everyone in the future hates her because they know she's going to go back in time to destroy the world, but she does it anyway to spite them. So that's fun.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I find it funny to say Tactics' translation wasn't as bad as VII. It's worse!

VIII is definitely when they finally decided to hire people who knew what they were doing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

Apparently the actual backstory for Ultimecia is that everyone in the future hates her because they know she's going to go back in time to destroy the world, but she does it anyway to spite them. So that's fun.

Doesn't she believe that a SeeD will be her undoing making her roughly a million times more able to remember things than anyone else on FFVIIIs planet. Its super impressive because SeeD mostly ceases to exist around disc 2 so whatever future she is from is given the average memory span like tops 3 weeks from day that FFVIII ends on.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Tactic's translation only craps the bed when you get to the final act (and the final parts of act 3, to be fair). It is no exaggeration for me to say that I honestly could not understand some lines at all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

I find this funny, because my friends and I thought the line was one of Delita's most badass moments. I suppose it's a little silly if you're just looking at the words as written, but it's so cold and blunt that it works in context. It's the first hint we get that Delita understands that he's a cog in the machine rather than an independent human being, and his entire motivation is changing that.

I feel the same way about VII. Whatever the fault of the translation, it had plenty of good and memorable lines. No one will ever forget Cid and his polite insistence you drink his tea, or things like Reeve referring to Heidegger and Scarlet as "Gya ha ha ha" and "Kya ha ha ha" I was also always a fan of Sephiroth's little breaking speech to Cloud when everyone is trapped in the illusion. Something like "What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."

I dunno, maybe nostalgia. I was a huge, huge fanboy for the game back in the day

Personally i don't recall ever being confused by anything in the plot, although apparently I was misled at points. I've been told that Cid's treatment of Shera, which is downright abhorrent no matter how you look at it, was played up in the English version and he isn't quite as terible in the original.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Doesn't she believe that a SeeD will be her undoing making her roughly a million times more able to remember things than anyone else on FFVIIIs planet. Its super impressive because SeeD mostly ceases to exist around disc 2 so whatever future she is from is given the average memory span like tops 3 weeks from day that FFVIII ends on.

I guess the end of the world was a big enough deal that someone finally piped up "hey maybe we should write some of this down?"

There was some kind of SeeD revival going on at least because there are dead ones on the castle steps. If only they'd written down WHICH SeeD would take her down, they needn't have bothered.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wendell posted:

VIII is definitely when they finally decided to hire people who knew what they were doing.

Well, translation-wise, yes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Delsaber posted:

Well Woolsey had to make quite a few changes that were out of necessity because of technical limitations in storage space. That's about all I can think of. For the most part it's a very competent translation.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Defiance Industries posted:

Well Woolsey had to make quite a few changes that were out of necessity because of technical limitations in storage space. That's about all I can think of. For the most part it's a very competent translation.

There's a few things he had to work around translation-wise to adhere to Nintendo's policies of the time - removal of religious terminology (Holy to Pearl for example), and softening of more violent terms ("Kill them!" to say "Get them!" for example). But yeah, given both the limitations he had, and the amount of character he poured into it by working around those limitations - I'd say it still holds up pretty well, and flows nicely.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Woolsey's difficulties in translation are staggering and the fact the games he did are coherent, let alone how flavorful they are, is pretty close to miraculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pesky Splinter posted:

But yeah, given both the limitations he had, and the amount of character he poured into it by working around those limitations - I'd say it still holds up pretty well, and flows nicely.

Shoot, it sounds dumb but his limitations affect my writing style even now. I definitely tread more lightly in my word choice and tone and you wouldn't catch me dead writing poo poo gratuitously grim or Tarantinoesque... not to say the latter doesn't make for fun films.