Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's loss

It's always loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's the part of the dead internet theory nobody talks about: all the text is LLM Markov chains and all the images are increasingly baroque goatse and loss references.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
that would be a fun trick question to put on a organic chem exam lol

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

It's loss

It's always loss

Omfg. I just got it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
loss.jpg is a radioactive meme and thus has a half-life

someday a million years from now the last loss.jpg meme will be created

that will be the most obvious evidence of complete societal collapse

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lies, my zeppelin is happy with blaugas

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://books.google.com/books?id=b...n.%2522&f=false

quote:

"A bottle in which some potassium had been kept in naphtha, and which had been used up in experiments, was standing in his room; and wishing to urinate without leaving his room, he pulled out the glass stopper and applied his penis to its mouth. The first jet of urine was followed by an explosive sound and flash of fire, and quick as thought the penis was drawn into the bottle with a force and tenacity which held it as firmly as if in a vice. The burning of the potassium created a vacuum instantaneously, and the soft yielding tissue of the penis effectually excluding the air, the bottle acted like a huge cupping glass to this novel portion of the system. The small size of the mouth of the bottle compressed the veins, while the arteries continued to pour their blood into the glans, prepuce, etc. From this cause, and the rarefied air in the bottle, the parts swelled and puffed up to an enormous size.

How much potassium was in the bottle at the time is not known, but it is probable that but a few grains were left, and those broken off from some of the larger globules, and so small as to have escaped the man’s observation. I was anxious to test the matter (though not with the same instruments which the patient had done) and for that purpose took a few small particles of potassium, mixed with about, a tea-spoonful of naphtha, and placed them in a pint bottle. Then I introduced some urine with a dash, while the end of one of my fingers was inserted into the mouth of the bottle, but not so tightly as to completely close it, and the result was a loud explosion like a percussion cap, and the finger was drawn forcibly into the bottle and held there strongly — thus verifying, in some degree, this highly interesting philosophical experiment, which so frightened my friend and patient."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TIyWdfxxc&t=70s

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E680urg4EiY

A horrifying old friend returns...

when i first thought of contamination, i was thinking about some weird bacterium or something. When he says the susbstance, my eyebrows almost crawled off the top of my head

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NLJP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E680urg4EiY

A horrifying old friend returns...

when i first thought of contamination, i was thinking about some weird bacterium or something. When he says the susbstance, my eyebrows almost crawled off the top of my head

Same, I thought bacteria, or some toxin, not methyl-mercury iodide

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Claptain posted:

Same, I thought bacteria, or some toxin, not methyl-mercury iodide

:ohno:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

quote:

"A bottle in which some potassium had been kept in naphtha, and which had been used up in experiments, was standing in his room; and wishing to urinate without leaving his room, he pulled out the glass stopper and applied his penis to its mouth. The first jet of urine was followed by an explosive sound and flash of fire, and quick as thought the penis was drawn into the bottle with a force and tenacity which held it as firmly as if in a vice. The burning of the potassium created a vacuum instantaneously, and the soft yielding tissue of the penis effectually excluding the air, the bottle acted like a huge cupping glass to this novel portion of the system. The small size of the mouth of the bottle compressed the veins, while the arteries continued to pour their blood into the glans, prepuce, etc. From this cause, and the rarefied air in the bottle, the parts swelled and puffed up to an enormous size.

How much potassium was in the bottle at the time is not known, but it is probable that but a few grains were left, and those broken off from some of the larger globules, and so small as to have escaped the man’s observation. I was anxious to test the matter (though not with the same instruments which the patient had done) and for that purpose took a few small particles of potassium, mixed with about, a tea-spoonful of naphtha, and placed them in a pint bottle. Then I introduced some urine with a dash, while the end of one of my fingers was inserted into the mouth of the bottle, but not so tightly as to completely close it, and the result was a loud explosion like a percussion cap, and the finger was drawn forcibly into the bottle and held there strongly — thus verifying, in some degree, this highly interesting philosophical experiment, which so frightened my friend and patient."
Thread titles aren't allowed to be that long

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Foxfire_ posted:

Thread titles aren't allowed to be that long

he pulled out the glass stopper and applied his penis to its mouth

Isn't, I don't think. If it is.

and applied his penis to its mouth

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"the soft yielding tissue of the penis" is it imo

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Did his dick survive though?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

drat, Twigand Berries had a weird ancestor.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
don't pee into bottles. Catheters and bags were invented for a reason.

that or OD on some not pee meds and beta blockers like surgeons. nothing bad can happen there.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just go to the bathroom, Jesus Christ. Although it is everything about that story is horrifying, starting from why would you ever do this. I need to piss, here's an old unwashed bottle with God knows what chemical residue, I'll just piss into that. This is a safe piss jug. Whoops, turns out you set your penis on fire. Just, why. The bathroom isn't that far away to ignite your wang instead

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
or mark a safe piss jug and toss it when you're done. way of the lab bitch

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rappaport posted:

why would you ever do this

:guinness:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
1. Baby it's cold outside
2. This is only like 100 years removed from peeing in a bottle and boiling it looking for new elements. Not because we weren't looking for new elements but because we already found all the ones we could in pee

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Piss is the unsung hero of chemistry.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I heard Tom Jones just from that reference.

Chemical elements that were discovered from pee were usually from letting pee just sit around and wait for it to dry out. Pee is good stuff for many things, but you probably don't want to use your wang as your instrument of choice when attempting experiments with potentially volatile substances. And based on that story, the fella wasn't even making an experiment, he just didn't want to walk down the hall to use the bathroom, like a civilized person.

And sure, there's a whole well of "alchemy" and Umberto Eco thrillers if you're into that stuff.

The stuff being piss. And making homunculi, I guess?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Despite every article on this trying to make it sound like this is some grad student doing it just last year this was 1859 where your bathroom had a 90% chance of being an outhouse where you empty your piss pot. Using dirty glassware is just saving cleaning effort.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zedprime posted:

Despite every article on this trying to make it sound like this is some grad student doing it just last year this was 1859 where your bathroom had a 90% chance of being an outhouse where you empty your piss pot. Using dirty glassware is just saving cleaning effort.

Sure, at the expense of your penis catching fire. I would prefer a dirty outhouse when presented with this choice. I don't want any part of me catching fire! Obviously the guy wasn't exactly presented with a choice, he just pissed in an unsafe jug.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

zedprime posted:

1859 not 1459 people had plumbing and flushing toilets

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The concept existed and was fairly widely-distributed, but it was far from universal, and could mean leaving the heated part of your building to go to somewhere cold and smelly.

Plus, chemists aren't exactly known for making good decisions in the first place.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Civic freshwater combined with civic sewer systems really hit it off in 1840s but bathrooms as we know them came as a result following it. Flush toilets had existed for some time but a number of engineering problems remained: multiple moving parts to break, sewers with poor vapor seals or S traps bound to overflow your piss and poo poo. Until the U trap you probably wanted your running water toilet in the outhouse and probably were still using the chamber pot when it's cold because of that. The 1860-1900s would bring incremental improvements to get the nice clean smellless siphon toilets we would recognize and be comfortable with in an inside water closet.

Pissing in your dirty sodium flask was obviously not a widespread problem so I don't know why I have to justify this beside reminding everyone that your great grandparents were very possibly growing up in their piss and poo poo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lmao there were still plenty of places with outhouses at the start of WW1.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Plus, chemists aren't exactly known for making good decisions in the first place.

Well they were smart enough to avoid biology.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I just found a 2003 article about the last outhouses in Oslo. There's apparently a couple of apartment buildings and a few houses that still use them, though I have no idea what sort of standards we're talking about - the description could be anything where you pay a guy with a truck to empty them.

My parents remember living in an apartment building in the late 70s that still had an outdoor toilet in the backyard - modernization has never been completely uniform.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 17:27 on May 19, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
pissing into the wind (on Venus)

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lmao there were still plenty of places with outhouses at the start of WW1.

I still have one. I live in a rented terrace house in England, the inside plumbing just about works.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Hexyflexy posted:

I still have one. I live in a rented terrace house in England, the inside plumbing just about works.

*Copenhagen* has an ongoing program to defray costs to install toilets in apartments lacking one.

"The Toilet Pool" is 50 million kr.

quote:

Seek support from the toilet pool to get a bathroom inside the apartment if you have a toilet on the back stairs, a bath in the basement or a shower cubicle in the kitchen

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Just crack a window and piss out that.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Elviscat posted:

As a good Goon I simply pee through a hole in my floor.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Elviscat posted:

our sewer outlet pipe was shoddily buried and would freeze over at least once every winter until we had it reburied, one winter as a teen instead of going down into the rented outhouse i just went out the window and it turns out a fresh snowbank with yellow paint that dogs keep wanting to smell makes the neighbors talk to your parents about what their kid might be doing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ah, but are you a “hose off the beanbag chair” goon, or a poopsock goon?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Desert Bus posted:

As a good Goon I simply pee through a hole in my floor.

You am play Gods! Hole must end somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This is funny but there is literally a Goon who used a hole in their floor to pee at night. They were worried about peeing on the dogs who lived under the house getting peed on or possibly biting their penis.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3538070&pagenumber=57&perpage=40#post424741948