Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The Gang Breaks Into A Mansion

*chiptune cover of the theme song while you select which two members of the gang are going in to Fred Edison's mansion*

So do I just send you my credit card number or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing Pokemon Ultra Moon, you play Peek-a-boo with a sea cucumber and take a bunch of goofy pictures with your water doggo. Game good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Initially I was thinking that the second half of the jungle in the Mummy Returns, the Mummified Pygmy Village, was a bad level, and while it is annoying, there is a trick to it - don't fight. This level isn't run and gun - it's just Run, only Gun if they are directly in the way.

It actually does a good job playing that way of invoking the tension in the original movie of the main character being chased through the jungle by an army of tiny mummies, so while the level is annoying if the pygmies catch you, as they can just grab you again if you shake them off, you can use the kick to stun them while pretty much travelling past them due to the momentum, or use the shotgun to clear a path.

Probably the hardest level, but an interesting one, especially because the same holds true of the Undead Romans, they all have shields and spears which would likely suck to fight, but that is the point where you are hurrying to the pyramid trying to get there before the sun touches Alex's bracelet and kills him so the whole point is fighting would waste time, so the whole second half of the jungle level is to get you in that mindset of "We aren't exploring any more - we know exactly where to go, and there is a hard time limit before the kid dies, so loving run."

I think I'm onto the final levels now, the Netherworld/Golden Pyramid. Then I'll probably see how the Imhotep playthrough works out. Probably Same Levels, Different enemies, but I'm hoping not.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've now beaten Rick's campaign in The Mummy Returns. The ending is as lackluster as the rest of the storytelling in the game, but the final boss itself is one that gave me a lot of trouble until I figured out the knack, after which it was fairly easy. It's largely a matter of baiting the Scorpion King's attacks, not particularly obvious and at first kind of annoying, but when you can recognise the animations it's fairly easy - he goes into a special animation for the two counterable moves if you are standing right in front of him as he comes down from one of the pillars, and you need to let it nearly complete or else he just cancels into his charge attack. Essentially for the swipe attack, the first attack you can counter, you need to wait until he snaps his claws in the air, then you can move move and hit one of his hind legs to stun him for a combo on Dwayne Johnson's pecs. For the grab, the next phase's attack, you need to wait until he is done flexing and rears his claws back a second time to grab you, then you can do the same as in his prior form.

Also the Scorpion King looks much better on PS2 than he did in the movie, which is spectacular.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

BioEnchanted; I played The Mummy Returns as a kid a whole bunch and enjoyed it a lot (though it's definitely quite janky in places). Imhotep's campaign is definitely the more fun of the two; make sure you mess around with his powers as much as you can. Like, investigate the butterflies in the museum, for example...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I've noticed in general with whether games I play are even beatable is that it seems to depend on the bosses.

If a boss has an easy pattern, or if you can store healing items or have some sort of fine control of the character then it's fine, but there are some bosses, like the third boss in Stitch: Experiment 626 with 621 powering himself up with an evolution ray to become more powerful, that are practically impossible for a variety of reasons - you cannot control Stitch finely enough to navigate the platforming challenges in the short time you have before the boss catches up to you and hits you, the machine you need to attack is constantly moving so you need to wait when you get into position for it to get into position so you can shoot it, and 621 is fast as gently caress and will jump up to you while your waiting and knock you off the platform. The other bosses were fairly fun, but he was unfair as gently caress, and I never got past him.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Bio you really gotta start up a twitch stream or something of you playing all these obscure games you genuinely love

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Bio you really gotta start up a twitch stream or something of you playing all these obscure games you genuinely love

I tried streaming Ace Lightning as an experiment to see how it went - my computer cannot stream at a good framerate, although it may be my bandwidth. However I do do let's plays - in order I've done:

Haunted Mansion a PS2 game based on the theme park ride, in which I grossly overestimated the effects Disneyland had on american childhoods. Each room is it's own puzzle to solve and some of them can get rather atmospheric besides, like getting trapped in a maze-like closet in the childrens bedroom while a literal monster-in-the-closet chases you, with the Medium Madame Leota frantically telling you which way to go. Very interesting game despite it's jank.

Dog's Life a PS2 game in which you play as a farm dog trying to rescue his crush from Miss Peaches, a deranged cat-food mogul. The story is somewhat flat of course, just an excuse but I did discover interesting tidbits in the radio broadcasts in each area of the game that serve as optional foreshadowing, and even add info on Miss Peaches that is totally irrelevant, but interesting to know - for example, Miss Peaches is not her real name...

Ghost Hunter Another PS2 game which has it's voice actors being it's claim to fame - the villain is voiced by Michael Gambon, AKA Dumbledore in most of the Harry Potter films, and the hero is Rob Paulsen. Really well written first level, but the plots get more and more sparse and confused as the budget obviously runs out and entire arcs exist only in single cutscenes and are then forgotten.

Lego City Undercover A WiiU game which may be the most overwhelming Lego game in sheer amount of stuff, but I like the story.

Toy Story 3 an Xbox360 game that is surprisingly good for a licensed game, with fun levels for the main story and a really extensive Toybox mode afterwards.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just started Shadow Warrior 1 and I smiled when pressing reload while holding the sword makes you wipe it clean!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you have the Saints Row Penetrator cross-promotion, Wang jerks it off instead. :allears:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

VideoGames posted:

I just started Shadow Warrior 1 and I smiled when pressing reload while holding the sword makes you wipe it clean!

iirc in Shadow Warrior 2, if you reload a pistol while the magazine is full, you twirl it on your finger and flip the bird with your free hand.

Silly reload flourishes are great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also that one Modern Warfare game where every weapon has about a 1% chance of performing a comedy reload, like with an assault rifle, where a hand gives you a new magazine from offscreen, then the main character turns round in bewilderment as no one is there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also that one Modern Warfare game where every weapon has about a 1% chance of performing a comedy reload, like with an assault rifle, where a hand gives you a new magazine from offscreen, then the main character turns round in bewilderment as no one is there.

Yeah, the player responses make those reload animations even better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HGmUBQOHM

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hey BioEnchanted, I think I might be interested in playing Lego City Undercover after having heard about your playing it. Is it better to get it on console than on PC? I think I was trying to play Lego Batman on PC a few months back but got stuck very early because no controls I seemed to enter were getting one of the gadgets to work properly, and I wonder if those kinds of operations would be easier on console.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The console re-releases (Xbone/PS4) seem to have this weird blue filter over everything that the original WiiU version lacks - the WiiU Tablet seems to be the hardware it was designed for as all the menus go there, and the scanning/photography is done through the tablet - although the Tablet gets really loving heavy when having to scan for poo poo. I'm assuming that the PC one will be the same as the Xbone/PS4 version.

Also a little thing - I always like when I get a new subscriber. I don't keep track or anything, but sometimes I get the little popup while watching old Retsupurae videos and it makes me happy to see someone interested. :3:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Nov 23, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I really like how in path of exile the dumbass distraction totem will work on bosses. I was getting my rear end kicked by one of the new story bosses and then I threw down the totem and the boss turns right around and starts lasering that loving thing. It's simultaneously awesome and really dumb, but it's cool to see that bosses don't resist everything except raw damage. I wonder if you can use other cc on them as well

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Also, that one puzzle rec of BioEnchanted's, Glass Masquerade, is like $2.49 on the current steam sale, so I sprang for it. Should be a fun time!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Within 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvhvFJMRtGw

Jesus Christ, it's so good

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Nov 24, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is that from EW2?
I have the first and got so bored/frustrated that I gave up a few hours in.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Ugggghhhhh why did this make me pull the trigger on TEW2? I wasn't gonna get it until now but now I am.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Xun posted:

I really like how in path of exile the dumbass distraction totem will work on bosses. I was getting my rear end kicked by one of the new story bosses and then I threw down the totem and the boss turns right around and starts lasering that loving thing. It's simultaneously awesome and really dumb, but it's cool to see that bosses don't resist everything except raw damage. I wonder if you can use other cc on them as well

They recover faster than normal enemies, but they take stuns and the like. The newer set-piece/living wall bosses might not, but if it moves like a monster it gets wrecked like a monster too.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Jukebox Hero posted:

Ugggghhhhh why did this make me pull the trigger on TEW2? I wasn't gonna get it until now but now I am.
literally had the opposite reaction after being on the fence

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Is that from EW2?
I have the first and got so bored/frustrated that I gave up a few hours in.

Yes, that is the Evil Within 2, sorry I totally forgot to mention that.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Grey Fox posted:

literally had the opposite reaction after being on the fence

From what the comments are saying that's a ways into the game and then it takes like 30 minutes to get back to the safe house to see that scene. So it's a pretty out of the way easter egg.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

From what the comments are saying that's a ways into the game and then it takes like 30 minutes to get back to the safe house to see that scene. So it's a pretty out of the way easter egg.

Yeah, that's not indicative of the game's general tone. It'd be like judging Silent Hill 2 by the dog ending.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, that's not indicative of the game's general tone. It'd be like judging Silent Hill 2 by the dog ending.

You mean the one and only ending?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wait, what, Silent Hill 2 had multiple endings? I always figured it was some sorta long-con art joke with that dog at the end and thought that was why everyone loved it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blind Sally posted:

Wait, what, Silent Hill 2 had multiple endings? I always figured it was some sorta long-con art joke with that dog at the end and thought that was why everyone loved it.

There are IIRC 4 normal endings and 2 joke endings. The dog ending is 100% authentic and attainable in the game.

It's really smart about it because the ending you get doesn't depend on any explicit choice you make. Instead it's silently tracking your behavior throughout the game and picks one depending on how you made James behave in general.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Doesn't the other joke ending involve UFOs?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

haveblue posted:

There are IIRC 4 normal endings and 2 joke endings. The dog ending is 100% authentic and attainable in the game.

It's really smart about it because the ending you get doesn't depend on any explicit choice you make. Instead it's silently tracking your behavior throughout the game and picks one depending on how you made James behave in general.

I've played the game multiple times and only ever gotten the dog ending???

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

That says something about you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

rydiafan posted:

That says something about you.

He made the wrong choices and the game thinks that he's morally inept.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

BioEnchanted posted:

He made the wrong choices and the game thinks that he's morally inept.

:vince:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blind Sally posted:

:goonsay: You can only get the dog ending on new game plus!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Blind Sally posted:

internet posted:

In order to get the Dog Ending, you must first unlock each of the three "normal" endings:

In Water
Leave
Maria
Or unlock the Rebirth ending. This will allow you to get the Dog Key.

After meeting the pre requisites, a dog house will appear in a a small empty area across the street from Rosewater Park. This is just West of Jack's Inn. Investigate the dog house to find the Dog Key.

Now that you have the Dog Key, you can use it in the Observation Room on the third floor of the Lakeview Hotel. It can only be used after it has changed to the otherworld. Watch the video tape to change it, then open the door to get the ending.

You're so good/bad at the game you didn't realize you already finished it three times?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

All the lovely music puns in Crypt of the Necrodancer, like the MetroGnome! :D

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vic posted:

You're so good/bad at the game you didn't realize you already finished it three times?

:yum:

Okay, for real content, still playing River City Ransom Underground, and you can adopt cats in that game. At first, it seemed there was no real reason for this. Aesthetic, maybe, since the cats would show up in one of your hideouts, but basically it's a money sink.

Until you buy all of the cats up for adoption:

Then they craft a yarn sword for you that you can pick up at any time whenever you swing by that particular hideout, meaning you have a reliable weapon that is always available.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I've been fooled the second time, dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nDafqdH9o

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Pandora's Tower because I got it ages ago but only ever got past the first piece of Master Flesh then got stuck on an annoying enemy.

I like that the gifts aren't just things you grind, although it looks like I can buy more flower seeds so there seem to be exceptions, but actual things that improve the Observatory, like the cloths that become a tablecloth and bedspread, and the lamp that gets placed on the table. I also like that the girl gets something to do apart from sitting in a tower gorging herself on steak, like translating ancient texts and things. She's not just making the observatory into a home, she's actually contributing to the main character figuring out the towers and her curse.
I'm expecting her to start craving the meat by the end of the game as the situation develops and she gets a taste for it, but I do like how extreme her disgust is - it really sells that she's never eaten meat before, and she's having to start with rancid chunks of raw flesh ripped out of inhuman creatures (although I guess it would be more worrying if they were human :v: - however, maybe they used to be, that is the entire point of the curse after all -maybe the tower isn't naturally home to so many beasts, maybe they were just people who came to the towers to kill the masters and just... failed).

I also like the design of the central dungeon, mentioned in narration as holding the massive scar together it's basically a giant surgical stitch, unless the narration was just being flowery in saying that.

Although I mildly screwed up by missing the backpack upgrade before buying all the gifts and now I will need to save up the 1500 gold to buy it. At least I'll get a lot from selling the files.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Invisible Inc. is a fun turn based, spy themed game I picked up cheap recently. It's surprisingly fun and can be incredibly punishing even on the beginner difficulty. The randomly generated levels and unlocks mean you can't game it by restarting a level when things go bad, but you do get a rewind button to go back a turn on lower difficulties. I really like the aesthetic, but the coolest feature is the AI which supports you and allows you to hack things e.g to control cameras or open safes at the cost of power, and it gets more complex with the addition of daemon viruses which have a variety of effects. There are a few spies with different starting abilities, which lend themselves to different builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbK5en356RY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I figured out that enemy type that was giving me trouble! Yay! Just had to throw the little spike dudes into each other, and it works. Also took the first chain off of the boss door on Sheerdrop Tower, so that's nice.