Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ActusRhesus posted:

creative uses for acrobatics: GO!

Copied shamelessly from Legend RPG:

Balancing: If you would suffer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, you may make a Balance check instead, with a DC chosen by the GM that corresponds to a surface or object that you can use to keep from falling. If you succeed, you gain the Fly movement mode for one [Round]. (You may immediately use a free action to lift of, gaining the [Flying] condition.) A few representative objects follow: 

Slick food in a grocery store. The kind that require signs so people don’t slip and hurt themselves. Alternatively, an oil slick on a road. 

Icy rock. 

Rain-slick precipice of darkness, or an inch-thick tree branch.

The point of a spear (obviously, without being impaled). This cannot get you un-stabbed if someone successfully attacks you. 

The grains of sand in a desert storm. 

Clouds. 

Jumping: Once per [Round], you may make an Acrobatics skill check to jump over an obstacle or jump high into the air.

Cross a fast stream without getting your boots wet. 

Jump from one roof to another, with a narrow alley separating them. 

Jump from one roof to another, across a street. Alternatively, vault an ogre-proof fence. 

Leap onto the back of a charging war elephant. You gain the Fly movement mode for one [Round] (You may immediately use a free action to lift of, gaining the [Flying] condition.). At the beginning of your turn, if you are [Flying] and do not possess the Fly movement mode, you suffer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, as determined by the GM. You may not make a new Acrobatics check to continue your fight without something to jump from.

Leap onto a flying skeletal dragon to confront the lich riding it. Ideally, have some way to get back down in an emergency. You gain the Fly movement mode for two [Rounds]. (You may immediately use a free action to lift of, gaining the [Flying] condition.) At the beginning of your turn, if you are [Flying] and do not possess the Fly movement mode, you suffer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, as determined by the GM.

“Neo’s doing his Superman thing again.” You gain [Flying] for 3 [Rounds]. You may not make new Acrobatics checks to continue your fight without something to jump from, but if you fail you fall and take 5d6 damage.” with “You gain the Fly movement mode for three [Rounds]. (You may immediately use a free action to lift of, gaining the [Flying] condition.) At the beginning of your turn, if you are [Flying] and do not possess the Fly movement mode, you suffer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, as determined by the GM.

Climbing: Once per [Round], you may make an Acrobatics skill check to begin climbing an obstacle, surface, or even air at half of your normal movement speed. Generally speaking, one check is good enough for a given surface, unless something happens to increase the difficulty of climbing. If your check exceeds the DC of the task by 5 or more, you can move at your full speed. A few representative climbing surfaces follow:

A steep rocky slope with frequent handholds and footholds and no rattle-snakes at all. 

A smooth tree with very few branches. 

The outside of a castle wall, in the dead of night. 

An overhanging defensive wall kept artificially slick and equipped with fake handholds. 

The outside twigs of a never-ending world tree. You can climb the air itself, gaining the Fly movement mode for one [Round]. (You may immediately use a free action to lift of, gaining the [Flying] condition.) At the beginning of your turn, if you are [Flying], do not possess the Fly movement mode, and you gained the Fly movement mode as the result of an Athletics skill check within the last one [Round], you must make another successful Athletics skill check to gain the Fly movement mode again or suffer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, as determined by the GM.

Falling snowflakes. You gain the Fly movement mode for three [Rounds]. (You may immediately use a free action to lif of, gaining the [Flying] condition.) At the beginning of your turn, if you are [Flying], do not possess the Fly movement mode, and you gained the Fly movement mode as the result of an Athletics skill check within the last three [Rounds], you must make another successful Athletics skill check to gain the Fly movement mode again or suffer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, as determined by the GM.

Sailor Viy posted:

Would I break anything if I changed 5e initiative back to the simple OSR style? (eg, essentially a coin flip each round to determine if PCs or monsters go first) the init bonuses seem small enough not to matter anyway.

Nope. I rarely roll for initiative as it is, as most encounters will answer the question of "who goes first?" rather clearly just from the preceding narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cavorting merrily for the wizard's amusement.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes a player has a concept built around initiative and being the jumpiest motherfucker alive, and taking it away from them is a bit harsh. But if everyone knows you're doing it from the off? Sure, why not.

I've considered running with all players and then all enemies alternating, the first round going to whoever is narratively appropriate. Not sure if that would mess with legendary actions, not sure if I care.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If there's only one monster than initiative is basically academic. After a certain number of PCs go depending on initiative, it simply turns into "The party goes" "The monster goes"

When I was running my PBP Game, sometimes I'd fudge the initiative to put the entire party into one single block since it made for quicker combats (Less mapmaking, quicker players can post while waiting on slower players to take their turns, rather than the slower players ending up in their own initiative pass and taking 4 days after the map is posted)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

Sometimes a player has a concept built around initiative and being the jumpiest motherfucker alive, and taking it away from them is a bit harsh. But if everyone knows you're doing it from the off? Sure, why not.

I've considered running with all players and then all enemies alternating, the first round going to whoever is narratively appropriate. Not sure if that would mess with legendary actions, not sure if I care.

Yeah if someone makes a point about wanting to be first in initiative, then you have to account for/discuss that, but it could be as simple as letting them specifically roll for initiative to determine if they go ahead of the monsters, and then they bring along the rest of the party with them.

As far bosses/legendary actions, what I do is let the boss take an action after every player, which is technically how legendary actions end up working even if you're doing an all-characters-on-one-side-first system. Logically it'd be equivalent to letting the boss take 4-5 actions in a row, but that might feel a bit janky.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mastershakeman posted:

Showing off to whomever (smugglers by doing a backflip from a tightrope, locals by doing the old run on top of a barrel then spin off) in order to break tension and/or get laid.

I've always thought of acrobatics as mostly useless in combat but fantastic for social situations. Even the combat things I've done with it (leaping down stairs while pursuing someone) was better suited for a jump check.
Then again I think of acrobatics as real life stuff I see my friend do at a gymnastics gym, the same guy has gotten past stage one of ninja warrior so I figure that's a good comparison to peak ability.

I totally agree with this but the aforementioned rules nazi insists that would be a perform check. I disagree. But it's not worth the argument.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

I totally agree with this but the aforementioned rules nazi insists that would be a perform check. I disagree. But it's not worth the argument.

If he's a rules nazi you can probably say 'but tumble can be used as perform in 3e' and he'll concede.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Tunicate posted:

If he's a rules nazi you can probably say 'but tumble can be used as perform in 3e' and he'll concede.

Tried that already.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kurieg posted:

When I was running my PBP Game, sometimes I'd fudge the initiative to put the entire party into one single block since it made for quicker combats (Less mapmaking, quicker players can post while waiting on slower players to take their turns, rather than the slower players ending up in their own initiative pass and taking 4 days after the map is posted)

Yeah, I do this for PBP too. It makes combats run much more smoothly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

That dude is insane. Why would someone would perform be able to do flips

Ask him if he knows the difference between men's and women's floor routines and how one is strictly acrobatics while the other is part acrobatics part performance.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

That dude is insane. Why would someone would perform be able to do flips

Ask him if he knows the difference between men's and women's floor routines and how one is strictly acrobatics while the other is part acrobatics part performance.

I linked video a floor routine AND a pole dance competition and another player linked a tricking video. Did not sway his opinion. "If you're doing it to entertain it has to be perform" blah blah blah.

I really find this new addition to be a major buzzkill.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

I linked video a floor routine AND a pole dance competition and another player linked a tricking video. Did not sway his opinion. "If you're doing it to entertain it has to be perform" blah blah blah.

Why is this one person dictating how the game functions to your whole group?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
S...sever?

Does your GM side with this person a lot or something?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

ActusRhesus posted:

No gaming > bad gaming

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Crotch posted:

S...sever?

Does your GM side with this person a lot or something?

Not all the time. But his "experience" gives his opinions more weight than they should have.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

Rub his face in it with a character with perform skill

Watch me perform this jump!
Watch me perform this feat of strength!
Watch me perform casting a fireball!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Lol. I am trying to avoid argument. I also privately let the DM know about the combined ability variant rule.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pfox posted:

No gaming > bad gaming

It wasn't bad until recently. Just a major ideology conflict. I like getting people to yes, as long as it is character consistent. He likes the big book of no.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Welcome to why 3.x's skill list was an abomination.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
RIP Use Rope

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ActusRhesus posted:

Lol. I am trying to avoid argument. I also privately let the DM know about the combined ability variant rule.

Splitting off the ability scores from skills was one of the first things I did as a DM after I realized the Barbarian wouldn't be able to roll well on Intimidation against a prisoner that the party literally had tied to a chair because his CHA was low.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Didn't we have a 13th age style skill system during the playtest with Monte Cook's fields of lore? Lores were at least better than an arcane ask your dm list of specific skills some more broad than others.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Splitting off the ability scores from skills was one of the first things I did as a DM after I realized the Barbarian wouldn't be able to roll well on Intimidation against a prisoner that the party literally had tied to a chair because his CHA was low.

My main group houseruled that to being an athletics check in those circumstances because the Barbarian is trying to look strong and prone to smashing things (like kneecaps).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's a 13th Age style skill system as variant rules in the DMG:

quote:

BACKGROUND PROFICIENCY

With this variant rule, characters don't have skill or tool proficiencies. Anything that would grant the character a skill or tool proficiency provides no benefit. Instead, a character can add his or her proficiency bonus to any ability check to which the character's prior training and experience (reflected in the character's background) reasonably applies. The DM is the ultimate judge of whether the character's background applies.

For example, the player of a character with the noble background could reasonably argue that the proficiency bonus should apply to a Charisma check the character makes to secure an audience with the king. The player should be encouraged to explain in specific terms how the character's background applies. Not simply "I'm a noble," but "I spent three years before starting my adventuring career serving as my family's ambassador to the court, and this sort of thing is second nature to me now."

This simple system relies heavily on players developing their characters' histories. Don't let it result in endless debates about whether a character's proficiency bonus applies in a given situation. Unless a player's attempt to explain the relevance of the character's background makes everyone else at the table roll their eyes at its absurdity, go ahead and reward the player for making the effort.

If a character has the Expertise feature, instead of choosing skills and tools to gain the benefit of that feature, the player defines aspects of his or her background to which the benefit applies. Continuing the noble example, the player might decide to apply Expertise to "situations where courtly manners and etiquette are paramount" and "figuring out the secret plots that court members hatch against one another."

quote:

PERSONALITY TRAIT PROFICIENCY

With this variant rule, characters don't have skill proficiencies. Instead, a character can add his or her proficiency bonus to any ability check directly related to the character's positive personality traits. For example, a character with a positive personality trait of "I never have a plan, but I'm great at making things up as I go along" might apply the bonus when engaging in some off-the-cuff deception to get out of a tight spot. A player should come up with at least four positive personality traits when creating a character.

When a character's negative personality trait directly impacts an ability check, the character has disadvantage on the check. For example, a hermit whose negative trait is "I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplation, oblivious to my surroundings" might have disadvantage on an ability check made to notice creatures sneaking up.

If a character has the Expertise feature, the player can apply its benefit to personality traits related to ability checks, instead of to skills or tools. If a character would
gain a new skill or tool proficiency, the character instead gains a new positive personality trait.

This system relies heavily on players developing their characters' personalities. Make sure that different characters' traits- positive and negative- come into play with about the same frequency. Don't let a player get away with a positive trait that always seems to apply and a negative trait that never does.

At your discretion, you can also tie a character's ideals, bonds, and flaws to this system.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Hmm ok. So I build a Paladin with the entertainer background to get proficiency in acrobatics and performance, but I dump DEX so that I am preternaturally clumsy. Time do a floor routine while wearing full plate.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

Hmm ok. So I build a Paladin with the entertainer background to get proficiency in acrobatics and performance, but I dump DEX so that I am preternaturally clumsy. Time do a floor routine while wearing full plate.

You see my frustration.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I'm trying to get into a 5th edition campaign. Can I get by with just the players handbook? I've only played 3.5 so far, how different is it?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

RC Cola posted:

So I'm trying to get into a 5th edition campaign. Can I get by with just the players handbook? I've only played 3.5 so far, how different is it?

:allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes. If the DM is going to implement any special rules from the DMG they can just tell you.

It's very similar to 3.5, but different enough that you can't start playing right away just using your 3.5 knowledge.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Elfgames posted:

I want tactical combat and stuff just simpler than 4e like give the fighter a couple of useful combat abilities and useful noncombat abilities make spells less all powerful make feats big and important but only give people a max of like 5 and make the book readable.

Elfgames posted:

No 13th age is closer to what i want i just want something with the same level of care but slightly different

Maybe look into The Next Project? [work-in-progress]

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mainly wondering if I need the dmg as well

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Technically you can forego the PHB entirely, there are Basic Rules available as a free .pdf that include the (sensibly enough) basic races and classes. Human/elf/dwarf/halfling and fighter/cleric/wizard/rogue, and you don't get quite as much flexibility among those choices either.

5e isn't super hard to get a handle on so long as you don't get bogged down with arguments over specifics. The basic gist of it is still rolling d20 for basically anything. If you've played D&D in any capacity, or a d20 RPG in general, you'll pick it up really quick. Magic casters are still just better than martials at higher levels, although my understanding is that the disparity starts happening later than it did in 3.0/3.5 (I only played the computer games, so I'm not positive of that from experience).

Notable points:
- Proficiency is a single number that scales with your level, and your race, class and background determine what skills, saves, and weapons/armors will get to add proficiency.
- Backgrounds now have a real gameplay effect on the PC; granted, the effect is nowhere near as large as race or class, but it exists. Mostly you get different starting gear or proficiencies.
- Advantage/Disadvantage; roll two d20, keep the lower or higher, respectively. This replaces the vast majority of modifiers.
- As a rule of thumb, classes have been rebalanced to discourage splashing one level multiclassing. Most classes have sub-types that can generally do what you'd want anyway, if you don't obsess over optimizing (arcane warriors are a type of fighter, for example). Most classes choose their sub-type at level 3.
- Feats are an optional rule (which I'm pretty sure everyone uses), and again as a rule of thumb are much more rare but consequently more powerful/game-altering.
- You get a chance to partially heal every short rest using your Hit Die; the number of these dice scale with level and the type of die (d6, d10, etc.) is determined by class.

My personal opinion, which differs to a greater or lesser degree from the main thread consensus, is that 5e is Not Terrible and, consequently, is Worth Playing. It's wonky once you get into the weeds on some specific rules, but with a good DM and a general attitude of fun >>> RAW (rules as written) and RP (role playing) >>> optimization, the basic gameplay is pretty fast and clean. For newer people especially, you can toss together a character, explain the rules, and be playing within an hour - I know, I've done it as a new DM with three completely new players.

Also, don't play a beastmaster ranger, they're pretty badly UP without some house rules.

edit: now, if you're running a 5e campaign, you probably don't need the DMG if you have DM experience. The main thing it'll give you is the list of core magic items, which there are ways to get around (especially at earlier levels, there's quite a bit of decent homebrew stuff out there). There's some encounter generator stuff too, but there's unofficial online resources for that too. Pretty sure I've linked that stuff within the last 3-4 pages of this thread. What you probably would need is the monster manual.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 16, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
All the casters are good, if you want to be a Fighter be a Battlemaster, don't be a Ranger.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Also, don't play a beastmaster ranger, fighter, or rogue; they're pretty badly UP without some house rules.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Be a bard

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Eh, I think fighters aren't too bad until you get past level 10 or so (when the really nasty spells come online). Having lots of attacks and access to a bunch of feats counts for a lot. Hell, even the much-maligned champion archetype is pretty strong, having a doubled crit chance isn't a flashy benefit but can make a huge difference in the long run.

Rogues, well, that depends a lot on the DM. Since a lot of their "thing" is out-of-combat checks, they need the right opportunities. Sneak attacks are pretty decent damage dealers too. I'd say both them and fighters can keep up for a good while. They're way better than beastmaster, anyway, since they get basically no advantage from their animal except for scouting purposes until they get their second attack - and even then, that second attack still requires that they give up a standard attack which is almost certainly a better option anyhow. Non-beastmaster rangers aren't overtly terrible either, I like their spell list.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

When does the skeleton army start getting more attacks than the fighter?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do not play a ranger, beastmaster or otherwise.

You'll be able to live without the amazing ability to know if other creatures exist in your general area. Fighters fight better, rogues skill better, bards fight, skill, and magic better.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

The fighter gets a second attack at level 5.

The wizard gets 2 3rd level spells at level 5. One of which could be animate dead. Each cast can raise a skeleton, or reassert control over FOUR.

Those two level 3 spells mean you can, after a few days time, have 8 skeletons in tow, using just your level 3 spells. You still have 3 second and 4 first level spells.

quote:

Skeleton
Medium undead, lawful evil
Armor Class 13 (armor scraps)
Hit Points 13 (2d8 + 4)
Speed 30 ft.
STR
10 (+0)
DEX
14 (+2)
CON
15 (+2)
INT
6 (-2)
Damage Vulnerabilities bludgeoning
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, poisoned
WIS
8 (-1)
CHA
5 (-3)
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 9
Languages understands all languages it knew in life but
can't speak
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one
target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80f320 ft.,
one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

So the skeletons can be doing 8 * (1d6+2) if you can find them some bows.
The fighter would have what, 2 * (1d10+5ish?)

And that is going easy on the skeletons. I'm sure the most optimal use of the skeleton army means you can have more.

captain innocuous fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
While it's true that the game probably doesn't break down as hard if you did something like an e6 campaign, it really doesn't match up with how most of the adventure modules released so far are for higher levels: HOTDQ tops out at level 7-8, Rise of Tiamat ends at 15, and Princes of the Apocalypse and Out of the Abyss both end at 15 as well.

I'm also going to contend that even if the Champion Fighter is numerically effective, it's also dull as dishwater, and its potential to deal damage on par with other classes is hobbled by the fact that none of it is reliable. If the party needs to kill something right now, a Paladin can activate their Divine Smite on demand, or a Barbarian can activate their Reckless Attack on demand, or a Battle Master Fighter can use their Precision Strike on demand. A Champion just attacks and prays for a good hit. I mean, the increased crit range doesn't even help in situations where the party could really use a guaranteed normal hit, which further comes into play once you consider "wasted crits".

AlphaDog posted:

Animate Dead is a level 3 spell, so the Wizard can start casting it at character level 5. The Wizard will have two level 3 spell slots, so they could summon two skeletons with 1 attack each.
At character level 5, a Fighter is going to have 2 attacks per round, so right off the bat the skeleton army has as many attacks as a Fighter.

At character level 6, the Wizard will have three level 3 spell slots, so that's three skeletons with 1 attack each, or 1 more than what the Fighter can do.

At character level 7, the Wizard will have three level 3 spell slots and one level 4 spell slot. The level 4 spell slot is going to cause Animate Dead to create two skeletons, so that's a total of five skeletons with 1 attack each.

That's already one more attack per round than even a level 20 Fighter can (passively) achieve, and without yet delving into any tomfoolery about the 24-hour control duration versus an 8 hour Long Rest to regain spell slots.