Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Paladinus posted:

No-no, they say they've already located the command centre. They just need to free up space on the camera before they can film it. Stay tuned.

Sure sure, they need to make sure it's well documented so that they can show that they actually knew the guns were there the whole time and didn't just bomb a hospital on a wild guess.

Good thing the guns were there, the whole time, after all, since if they weren't then you might say it was a war crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

TGLT posted:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1724955393325937087

they are definitely putting poo poo behind that MRI scanner though

MRIs are pretty famously intolerant of loose metal objects in their vicinity so yeah, pretty suspicious place to be pulling AKs out of.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
After 5 weeks or so of this going on, I'd like to ask a polarizing question, just to recenter everything and find out where we're all at.

Israel is an apartheid state currently committing genocide.

Is there anyone that would disagree with that or is that kind of the thread consensus?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why are they even bothering producing these anymore

https://x.com/EylonALevy/status/1725153337882886356?s=20

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Joe Biden and the US state department seem to buy into it wholesale, and they don't really need to care what anyone else thinks.

e:

Stringent posted:

Absolutely, with the addendum that this was also the situation before October 7th.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Unfortunately this ham-fisted propaganda has been pretty effective, due to the cooperation of Western media and Biden.

Stringent posted:

:agreed:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Stringent posted:

After 5 weeks or so of this going on, I'd like to ask a polarizing question, just to recenter everything and find out where we're all at.

Is there anyone that would disagree with that or is that kind of the thread consensus?

I think you could make the case that technically Israel is engaged in ethnic cleansing not genocide.

At the same time anyone who feels compelled to reach for the "technically it's ephebophilia" argument but for crimes against humanity has already hosed up.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

After listening to a lot of Arabic in the news lately, it sounds to me like they have a thick Hebrew accent, but obviously I don't speak the language. Am I off the mark here?

E: Apparently, in addition to the recording above, they posted a video of finding (or 'finding') rockets under a child's bed.

https://twitter.com/idfonline/status/1725151783306113417

That's more serious than 8 rusty AKs, I suppose.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 16, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/PalestineRCS/status/1725164334769197466

If I had to make a guess, beyond the usual cruelty, they're panic-sieging every hospital to try to find one with tunnels to film.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Paladinus posted:

After listening to a lot of Arabic in the news lately, it sounds to me like they have a thick Hebrew accent, but obviously I don't speak the language. Am I off the mark here?

Its stilted and would be weird in a normal conversation, let alone radio comms. Its close enough but very deep in that uncanny valley where something is off.
Kinda like an 2nd gen immigrant trying to speak their home tongue.

Israelis specifically have trouble with the Arabic ح (hence Hamas > Khamas) and ع. This isnt shown in this one but thats the hallmark of an Israeli accent wrt arabic.

Nice of them to overlay static so its not immediately obvious though.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/PalestineRCS/status/1725164334769197466

If I had to make a guess, beyond the usual cruelty, they're panic-sieging every hospital to try to find one with tunnels to film.

They are also trying to bring about the complete destruction of civil society in north Gaza to ethnically cleanse it and ensure no one can return, and then they’ll just kill anyone who doesn’t leave.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is this the most destruction Israel has caused in Gaza ever? There have been numerous Israeli/Palestinian wars over the decades (like Operation Cast Lead) that have really hosed up Gaza but what's going on there now just looks like a whole other level. Like I was watching the embedded reporters with the IDF and the areas they were operating were just... Razed to the ground. Like nothing was intact every building was destroyed. If the civilians are even allowed to come back there is nothing at all for them to come back to. Like is this destruction more localized than it appears or is north Gaza really like Berlin 1945 now? And I guess the IDF will probably do the same to the south?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is this the most destruction Israel has caused in Gaza ever? There have been numerous Israeli/Palestinian wars over the decades (like Operation Cast Lead) that have really hosed up Gaza but what's going on there now just looks like a whole other level. Like I was watching the embedded reporters with the IDF and the areas they were operating were just... Razed to the ground. Like nothing was intact every building was destroyed. If the civilians are even allowed to come back there is nothing at all for them to come back to. Like is this destruction more localized than it appears or is north Gaza really like Berlin 1945 now? And I guess the IDF will probably do the same to the south?
Yes by a very, very long way. They've killed more people and done more damage than in every previous Gaza campaign combined and there's no indication that they will stop any time soon.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Al-Jazeera:

quote:

According to our reporting, hundreds of Israeli soldiers are raiding all sections of al-Shifa Hospital.

Sources also say Israeli bulldozers are destroying parts in the southern section of the hospital compound.

An unnamed Israeli military official confirmed to Reuters that Israeli soldiers are carrying out a raid.

“The operation is shaped by our understanding that there is well-hidden terrorist infrastructure in the complex,” the official said, adding that “Hamas has persistently worked to conceal infrastructure and cover up evidence” in Gaza’s hospitals.

Doctors and patients inside the hospital, along with the group itself, have repeatedly denied Hamas’s presence there.

My guess is that it was always the plan to bulldoze Shifa once they got their exculpatory proof, but they didn't get that proof, but why waste a perfectly good opportunity to destroy a hospital?

VVV Ah, my bad. I figured, considering how english-propaganda-facing Israel tends to be, that Mossad would have an account (besides that career one that's been inactive for 3 years).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 16, 2023

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

At least I think this is Mossad? It's not the satire account at least. In any case I assume many Palestinian construction companies around the world will benefit greatly from this demonstration of superior craftsmanship.

It's probably not. That's twitter blue for you

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 16, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Al-Jazeera:

My guess is that it was always the plan to bulldoze Shifa once they got their exculpatory proof, but they didn't get that proof, but why waste a perfectly good opportunity to destroy a hospital?

VVV Ah, my bad. I figured, considering how english-propaganda-facing Israel tends to be, that Mossad would have an account (besides that career one that's been inactive for 3 years).

Just more of "the cruelty is the point."

"Maybe the terrorists are under this building."
*Knocks over a surgery center*
"I guess not! Maybe this one!"
*Knocks over a pediatric office*
"Weird, could've sworn it was here somewhere!"

Just unchecked cruelty and oppression.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are they seriously going to demolish some or all of the hospital so they can make more false claims about tunnels? I mean, I'm sure that's not the only reason to demolish it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled that afterwards.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

More witness accounts of civilians being murdered as they flee locations with heavy military presence: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/16/escape-from-al-shifa-how-a-gaza-medic-dodged-israeli-patrols-snipers

quote:

“[Monday] morning, we received six cases in the hospital, all injuries. They had gotten shot after the Israeli army told them it was OK to leave the building they were in. As they left, they promptly got shot,” Jawdat said.

And then just in general the IDF soldiers like to humiliate and scare civilians for fun:

quote:

At one point, Jawdat and a few others were stopped by Israeli soldiers, who made them stand with their hands up in the air, holding their IDs. One man scratched his head, Jawdat said, and was called over by the Israeli soldiers. He is not sure what happened to him after that.

At another point, “they took about 20 men and stripped them naked, beat them, humiliated them, then released them. It’s like whenever the soldiers get bored, they would pick one to bully and humiliate”.

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
This is a press conference with the head of the UN agency in charge of Palestinian humanitarian aid. It’s long, but worth a watch.

[edit - the video has apparently been removed. I can’t right now but if anyone wants to look for another link, the conference is from today. Apologies.]

He states that over 100 UNRWA employees are confirmed as killed, that Israel is intentionally trying to paralyze its operations, and that the agency is on the verge of needing to suspend operations. Also that Israel has targeted UN compounds and that its military is illegally operating out of UN schools.

It may be a good resource for dealing with any pro-Israel people in your lives. If they’re dismissing the UN, they’re probably beyond help.

the other hand fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 16, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/aryjeay/status/1725182703761322287

Kind of funny that Hamas themselves have jumped on the MRI bit.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

the other hand posted:

This is a press conference with the head of the UN agency in charge of Palestinian humanitarian aid. It’s long, but worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?BM1PVwcCNaA

He states that over 100 UNRWA employees are confirmed as killed, that Israel is intentionally trying to paralyze its operations, and that the agency is on the verge of needing to suspend operations. Also that Israel has targeted UN compounds and that its military is illegally operating out of UN schools.

It may be a good resource for dealing with any pro-Israel people in your lives. If they’re dismissing the UN, they’re probably beyond help.
Aaaaand the video's been removed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the other hand posted:

In the same appearance I linked where the UN rep said there was an "undeniable" city of terror under al-Shifa Hospital he excused the murder of the UN workers saying they worked for Hamas.

https://x.com/ireallyhateyou/status/1725179974896767389?s=20

The most moral army in the world.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just wholesale lying about everything here:
https://twitter.com/business/status/1725070329079546008

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

The most moral army in the world.
If metal was the music of Ukrainian war vids, Israel is techno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEjF2CllY-I

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Stringent posted:

Agreed. I think numerous statements by Israeli government and military (including Netanyahu), leaked plans, the rate of killing and the targets (mostly random civilians, half of them children), and actions at Al-Shifa right now show genocidal intent and it's not hyperbolic or hair-splitting to refer to it as such. If these actions were being done by a non-allied country the western governments and media would label it a genocide by now.

Edit: To be clear I'm lurking for a reason, I have no interest in debating this, but I felt like expressing why I believe this. I don't think the children being bombed and starved to death give a poo poo about the distinction between ethnic cleansing and genocide.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 16, 2023

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think it's time to admit the truth: Joe Biden is a victim of Havana Syndrome and his brain is cooked.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Lassitude posted:

MRIs are pretty famously intolerant of loose metal objects in their vicinity so yeah, pretty suspicious place to be pulling AKs out of.

That's my initial thought too. The magnet to an MRI is on at all times and insanely strong. Even if it weren't actively being used the machine would've absolutely demolished those guns.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Apparently Israel is dropping leaflets in South Gaza telling people to evacuate
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/16/israel-drops-leaflets-warning-people-to-flee-southern-gaza-towns

Evacuate where? If they get driven south I don't think Egypt will let anyone through the border. Would the IDF even let them pass back into the north which at this point is nothing but rubble?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Apparently Israel is dropping leaflets in South Gaza telling people to evacuate
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/16/israel-drops-leaflets-warning-people-to-flee-southern-gaza-towns

Evacuate where? If they get driven south I don't think Egypt will let anyone through the border. Would the IDF even let them pass back into the north which at this point is nothing but rubble?

That certainly smells like "we're shoving the people of Gaza out of the entire strip". They will tell them to evacuate every part of the Gaza strip sequentially as the IDF clears out more ground. It was what like 2 weeks from the leaflets getting dropped in Gaza proper to the ground invasion? It will probably be less than that for each new phase since the operation is in full swing now, so I'd guess people have a week before the IDF rolls the tanks into a new area.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-11-16-23/index.html

The body of one of the hostages was recovered. the IDF is unwilling to say, at least right now, how the hostage was killed, just that the body was discovered in a structure near by one of the hospitals. But very high probability that it was due to IDF bombing, especially if the hostage was above ground.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

That certainly smells like "we're shoving the people of Gaza out of the entire strip". They will tell them to evacuate every part of the Gaza strip sequentially as the IDF clears out more ground. It was what like 2 weeks from the leaflets getting dropped in Gaza proper to the ground invasion? It will probably be less than that for each new phase since the operation is in full swing now, so I'd guess people have a week before the IDF rolls the tanks into a new area.

But is "out of Gaza" even an option? Maybe Israel is trying to force Egypts hand here. Force all the desperate Palestinians against the wall and Egypt will have to decide whether to keep the crossing sealed off and all the bad press that will entail or open it up and let them through and let Israel accomplish it's ethnic cleansing campaign. And the worst part is if that happens there's still going to be a shitload of people who claim it isn't ethnic cleansing and Israel will let them back in as soon as the operation is over. (Narrator: They were never allowed back in)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-11-16-23/index.html

The body of one of the hostages was recovered. the IDF is unwilling to say, at least right now, how the hostage was killed, just that the body was discovered in a structure near by one of the hospitals. But very high probability that it was due to IDF bombing, especially if the hostage was above ground.

Why is there a very high probability that it was due to IDF bombing? The article doesn't say anything like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Idk if I had assaulted a major hospital on the basis it concealed the Subterranean City of Terror, and all I found was a few rusty AKs and a clutch of grenades, I would probably think again about what I was doing but I guess that's why I'm not cut out for the IDF or Shin Bet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Why is there a very high probability that it was due to IDF bombing? The article doesn't say anything like that.

I get the article doesn't say that, but it's not hard to imagine what is probably killing the hostages. The IDF is blowing up tunnels without checking them, bombing everything in sight, and shooting everyone. Hostage deaths due to the IDF actions are going to be extremely likely, no? If Israel wants to come out with a new statement that better explains the cause of death after an autopsy, I would certainly hear it.

I just can't really think of what else would cause the death of a hostage. Hamas has given no indication that they are in this to kill hostages. They have treated their hostages really well so far based on the few that have been released. They really want the release of Palestinian prisoners, so killing hostages themselves doesn't help.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

But is "out of Gaza" even an option? Maybe Israel is trying to force Egypts hand here. Force all the desperate Palestinians against the wall and Egypt will have to decide whether to keep the crossing sealed off and all the bad press that will entail or open it up and let them through and let Israel accomplish it's ethnic cleansing campaign. And the worst part is if that happens there's still going to be a shitload of people who claim it isn't ethnic cleansing and Israel will let them back in as soon as the operation is over. (Narrator: They were never allowed back in)

I think Israel is trying to force Egypt's hand one way or the other. Either Egypt lets them in or Egypt lets them pass through on the way to settle in other countries. Either way Israel believes it is not their problem where the people of Gaza go, just that they all go.

Narrator: it is their problem

The tide has turned against them in just over a month with less than half of Gaza being occupied. The more they push this, not only do they risk the vast expansion of the war, they also risk even their staunchest allies forcing them to accept more humanitarian responsibilities. They tried a total siege at the start, absolutely zero humanitarian aid, and the US forced them to let some trucks in. Both parties are getting blasted over this despite their attempts to hold fast behind Israel. They will in the end still support Israel, but they will force them give out a lot more aid than they would have before the levelling of Gaza. Still a historic crime of genocide that Israel's allies are supporting, but Israel would have literally starved 2 million people to death with their initial plan. So it's not the absolute worst scenario.... just the 2nd worst possible scenario.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hamas has no incentive to kill hostages, they're trying to negotiate for their release. I guess it's possible a squad was trapped and had a hostage at hand, and tried to threaten the hostage to get themselves let go, were rebuffed, and made good on the threat but that requires a lot of coincidences to line up while the alternative explanation that it was due to Israeli bombing requires a lot fewer.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 17, 2023

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Charliegrs posted:

You’re overthinking it. The evacuation notice is what provides cover to genocide civilians (“we warned them to leave, so it’s not our fault”). It literally doesn’t matter that there is nowhere to evacuate to, because evacuation isn’t the point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67441025

Telecommunications are in a black out again, this time though because the telecom companies in Gaza have ran out of fuel. This is not to say that people won't be able to get messages, pictures, and video out to the world, but it will be much more difficult now. This will allow Israel less restraint when it comes to murdering civilians. On the ground Gaza journalists have been extremely important to relaying the war crimes and putting pressure on world governments to do something. They are right there in the middle of it, something the mass news media is unable to do.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

Who is the likely cause of death of any given body found in Gaza today? Not even near-certainty, just better than even odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

You’re overthinking it. The evacuation notice is what provides cover to genocide civilians (“we warned them to leave, so it’s not our fault”). It literally doesn’t matter that there is nowhere to evacuate to, because evacuation isn’t the point.

And remember if they don't leave, it's because Hamas was holding them back, so it's just a crying shame they have to die but it's certainly not Israel's fault.

Has anyone actually given any evidence of Hamas doing that, at all?