Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I already decided that I'm not gonna go for the offer. And I didn't say I wouldn't decline it, just feel bad about it. But after the way the negotiation went, I don't feel bad about it anymore.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this is where you say "i see, then i am no longer interested in this position, thank you for your time" and hang up the phone

Yeah that said a lot about the company, even after the negotiator/pointperson pulled the guilt trip on me. They claimed that they're a startup so they just can't pay people market average, but that's a really poor excuse. Doing some Crunchbase digging, they've also had basically no activity since late 2014 on the fundraising/B2B deals front, so there's that too.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Pollyanna seems to be addicted to pleasing recruiters so it could go either way :v:

I'm addicted to posting and having every one of my decisions vetted by an experienced team :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Is it bad if I've been supporting my company's apps for the past 9 months, trying to prove myself that I'm ready to start developing and my department head says...

"yeah we'll work on getting you some development time."

Because this has been the scenario I've been stuck in for a while now. And support has come to a screeching halt.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Grump posted:

Is it bad if I've been supporting my company's apps for the past 9 months, trying to prove myself that I'm ready to start developing and my department head says...

"yeah we'll work on getting you some development time."

Because this has been the scenario I've been stuck in for a while now. And support has come to a screeching halt.

?? There's probably something I'm missing about your department head but it sounds like you went "I need more responsibility" and they said "yes you're right, we'll get you some more". I'm guessing that never actually happened in which case, keep following up. If you keep getting dragged along, start job searching.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

They claimed that they're a startup so they just can't pay people market average, but that's a really poor excuse.
"No, really, we're looking for charity work for our "hire someone to pick up your dog poop app". Hey, where are you going?" Goddamn I hate this lovely manipulative attitude.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Smugworth posted:

"No, really, we're looking for charity work for our "hire someone to pick up your dog poop app". Hey, where are you going?" Goddamn I hate this lovely manipulative attitude.

It gets worse, if their startup had any added value to the market, any at all, it would be easy to get more of that juicy VC so you can pay engineers to actually make that product. If they are offering low pay and no equity, it is not a startup but a shitshow. So either way, you are right in not taking the offer.

Pollyanna, you are super open about what you do and say, it makes you an easy target. Just don't be that goon in the well. And saying no to something you really want (to get out of your current play) is hard but you can do it! After two decades, I can say it became easier for me to tell people "Look, I just think this job will not work out" and have a good reason for it without feeling bad.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Smugworth posted:

But this is a world changing poop removal app. It's basically a humanitarian mission!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's even loving weirder is that it's totally a product that business consumers would snatch up, so either it's been poorly marketed/shopped around or leadership has been subpar. :psyduck:

And I post explicitly to not be said goon in well. Maybe I'm taking it too far.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You come off as somebody who was trouble making decisions. We all have doubts about what to do sometimes, but you seem to take it too far.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pollyanna posted:

What's even loving weirder is that it's totally a product that business consumers would snatch up

I mean, everyone thinks this about their idea, not everyone is right.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

ultrafilter posted:

You come off as somebody who was trouble making decisions. We all have doubts about what to do sometimes, but you seem to take it too far.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I think everyone comes to decisions differently. I'm way more of a consensus seeker myself, so I have done things that are very similar. Depending on how you were raised/socialized, it can be way way harder to say "No" or to disappoint people

Makes negotiating a barrel of fun and laughs

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So I got my first two take home exercises today (woo!) and one of them is a front end exercise. In particular they're asking for it to be pixel perfect, and they don't mind what I use to build it.

Two questions:
1. They don't mention which fonts they're using and the example end-product is an image. Is it kosher to ask the fonts, or am I supposed to just use my best guess/font squirrel/divining rods?
2. When I talked with the hiring manager earlier today, they mention they use a whole bunch of things in the shop for different projects, running the gamut from vanilla JS/jQuery to Vue and React. I'm thinking it's best to do the project in vanilla JS since it's a really simple project. But I'm wondering, are there points to be gained or lost by using a framework that they're using in-house instead? I feel an argument can be made either way.

Thanks guys!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Dark Wind posted:

So I got my first two take home exercises today (woo!) and one of them is a front end exercise. In particular they're asking for it to be pixel perfect, and they don't mind what I use to build it.

Two questions:
1. They don't mention which fonts they're using and the example end-product is an image. Is it kosher to ask the fonts, or am I supposed to just use my best guess/font squirrel/divining rods?
2. When I talked with the hiring manager earlier today, they mention they use a whole bunch of things in the shop for different projects, running the gamut from vanilla JS/jQuery to Vue and React. I'm thinking it's best to do the project in vanilla JS since it's a really simple project. But I'm wondering, are there points to be gained or lost by using a framework that they're using in-house instead? I feel an argument can be made either way.

Thanks guys!

1. If you feel you don't have enough information to make the right decision, particularly when it comes to requirements, you should absolutely ask. If you ever get requirements from a customer or stakeholder that are complete and correct on the first try, you will be the first in the history of our profession. The exercise may even be set up with deliberately missing information to see how you react to it. In this case they obviously have a font they want - if they want "pixel perfect" then they shouldn't have a problem giving you the name of the font.

2. My personal opinion is that unless they say otherwise, use the tech that you'll do the best job in. Be prepared to answer the question of why you chose that tech.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Apologies if this is a frequently asked question, but I feel like I've been getting conflicting reports regarding the state of job market for new entry level Developers. Some people say that the market has way more jobs than candidates and getting gigs is trivial, and others talk about sending out hundreds of applications to score a handful of job offers, if any at all. I've heard all of this anecdotally, but it's making me somewhat nervous. I know I can't rely on a sample size of one disgruntled CS major posting on reddit or HackerNews, but I'm curious what the consensus of this thread is.

Also, is there a thread for folk looking for jobs or internships? I feel like I spotted one before but I can't find it.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Radio Talmudist posted:

Apologies if this is a frequently asked question, but I feel like I've been getting conflicting reports regarding the state of job market for new entry level Developers. Some people say that the market has way more jobs than candidates and getting gigs is trivial, and others talk about sending out hundreds of applications to score a handful of job offers, if any at all. I've heard all of this anecdotally, but it's making me somewhat nervous. I know I can't rely on a sample size of one disgruntled CS major posting on reddit or HackerNews, but I'm curious what the consensus of this thread is.

Also, is there a thread for folk looking for jobs or internships? I feel like I spotted one before but I can't find it.

I think the market is still alright if you're a recent CS grad & have a project or something you can show off.

Breaking into the industry when you're later in life seems like it could be tough though with fewer and worse opportunities.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Radio Talmudist posted:

Apologies if this is a frequently asked question, but I feel like I've been getting conflicting reports regarding the state of job market for new entry level Developers. Some people say that the market has way more jobs than candidates and getting gigs is trivial, and others talk about sending out hundreds of applications to score a handful of job offers, if any at all.

It's both!

There are more job openings than there are capable developers, but people who have less than a year of corporate experience are not generally regarded as capable. Your first job will be the hardest to get.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah i'm approaching 1 year of real experience as an android dev and recruiters from real companies are thirsty as all hell

quote:

Hi PokeJoe,

I completely understand you are inundated with Recruiters pinging you all the time. I honestly wouldn't reach out for a 3rd attempt, unless you were the ideal candidate type that is successful here at Facebook Android teams.

I would appreciate a yes from you to chat in more detail, but can also accept a no. It's the 'Maybe's' or "No reply back' that keeps me coming back with curiosity to connect with you. Now truly is the best time to gauge your value in the market.

Would you reconsider speaking with me and hear out what I would like to provide you in a Facebook interview process?

but it took me a billion resumes to get my current job. just keep at it

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

yeah i'm approaching 1 year of real experience as an android dev and recruiters from real companies are thirsty as all hell

but it took me a billion resumes to get my current job. just keep at it

Wow. There's no way a Javascript developer would get an email like that...right?1

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I had mentioned to my wife the other day that I am going to have to learn JavaScript for automation stuff (as a QA). She came home from her office today with a JavaScript book from 2006 and gave it to me to read.

I never experienced such a strange set of emotions.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

To follow up on what others said, there's way more jobs than people to fill them. But, a lot of times it doesn't kill development to let that position stay open for a long time. And as long as development keeps moving, they'll keep waiting for that perfect candidate rather than settle.

I'm in the L.A. market and I feel it's the worst offender. Almost every job here is for "senior dev with 5 years of experience" and that job has been available for 5 years. It's awful. It's a lot better now that I've been in the industry for awhile, but man I was fighting like hell for table scraps this time last year.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Vincent Valentine posted:

To follow up on what others said, there's way more jobs than people to fill them. But, a lot of times it doesn't kill development to let that position stay open for a long time. And as long as development keeps moving, they'll keep waiting for that perfect candidate rather than settle.

Here at my company we couldn't find anyone to fill two entry level positions. We pursued people several times, but they always ended up not responding back or replying that they had gotten a job already somewhere else. The positions stayed open for almost a year, and then was decided they can do the work with the developers they already had. I did however end up working my way into one of these (but ended up removing my old position entirely to keep head count the same).

It's good to hear that after the first dev job it's relatively easy to find something else. Everyone I've talked to in other fields has no room to be picky, and takes the first offer they get.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Related to that, I asked a while ago but didn't get any response.

How important is time spent at your first job to getting your second job? Because I've been doing support for 9 months and really haven't learned anything substantial the past 2 months and I feel like my learning has kind of plateaued, so I want to leave

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Grump posted:

How important is time spent at your first job to getting your second job? Because I've been doing support for 9 months and really haven't learned anything substantial the past 2 months and I feel like my learning has kind of plateaued, so I want to leave

Just it on your resume as 2016-2017 and it looks like 2 years! Not even kidding, this is what I do.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grump posted:

I got my second job after 11 months at my first, but I wouldn't recommend it. I got feedback from people looking at my resume being all confused as to why I was already leaving the job (long story). I would tough it out until after 1 year, and then be prepared to explain why you're leaving - "I've plateaued in my learning and am not receiving the support I need to learn new technologies and grow" is a perfectly good reason to find a new job.

Your other option is to try and push the boundaries at your current place to try and improve the situation re: learning stuff, doing cool things, etc., but that doesn't always work out. You can share more information about it and get advice on what to do! We're helpful here.

Keetron posted:

Just it on your resume as 2016-2017 and it looks like 2 years! Not even kidding, this is what I do.

2016-2017 looks like 1 year when written without the months :confused: I would expect people to be suspicious when they see dates without months.

but if not i'll start doing the same thing :buddy:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Grump posted:

Clarify with your boss around when they're intending to try to get you some more responsibility because they might be waiting, or might have to wait as a matter of policy, until after your annual review. Honestly, a two month lull doesn't sound like that big a deal to me.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Grump posted:

If you can get a good second job, then you've spent enough time at the first.

Most programmers hop jobs every 2-4 years, but everyone has had a job or two that were very short. It makes for a good war story to tell at interviews. And that's for normal programming jobs, you can quit a support desk job within a day and no one will bat an eye.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Two follow up questions for the sage posters here. Some background: I'm 28 and getting my second BA in CS at Columbia. My first degree was in Political Science (graduated in 2011 and worked various gigs in between) from Boston College.

a) I'm going to PennApps XVI next week. I've never been to a hackathon and I'm not entirely sure how to go about approaching one. I was thinking of finding a small team, coding something I could put on a portfolio, and trying to network as much as possible. I've heard that companies often come to hackathons so I'm wondering if I should bring copies of my resume? Or is that too cheesy? Any tips on how best to use this experience in terms of my career in CS?

b) I have a kind of eclectic educational background as you can see above. On the one hand I'm lucky to go to a great school with good connections, but on the other hand I'm a rising senior at the age of 28. I'm sometimes worried my age will be a liability. I'm also uncertain as to how I should reference my previous degree. I did really well at Boston College, but it's not terribly related to what I'm doing now. Should I refrain from mentioning my previous degree unless an employer asks about it? It's on my resume and linkedin after all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grump posted:

I was in support at my current company for three years before I talked my way into being a QA. Do you like the company/commute/benefits and are there other opportunities at the company? I really like the company and the benefits here so when I felt I plateaued I went out of my way to do more. If you want to stick around I would imagine that there are things you can do to stand out/take more responsibility/learn something new. Is there something you could automate with AHK? Or do you know any programming languages that would let you automate or streamline something? Is there something broken that no one else will fix that you could fix? Is there an opportunity somewhere for building a bridge between teams to promote synergy? Now I just want to start rattling off buzzwords. Regardless, I would try to stick around for that year mark and try to do something to stand out while you do it.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

Two follow up questions for the sage posters here. Some background: I'm 28 and getting my second BA in CS at Columbia. My first degree was in Political Science (graduated in 2011 and worked various gigs in between) from Boston College.

a) I'm going to PennApps XVI next week. I've never been to a hackathon and I'm not entirely sure how to go about approaching one. I was thinking of finding a small team, coding something I could put on a portfolio, and trying to network as much as possible. I've heard that companies often come to hackathons so I'm wondering if I should bring copies of my resume? Or is that too cheesy? Any tips on how best to use this experience in terms of my career in CS?

b) I have a kind of eclectic educational background as you can see above. On the one hand I'm lucky to go to a great school with good connections, but on the other hand I'm a rising senior at the age of 28. I'm sometimes worried my age will be a liability. I'm also uncertain as to how I should reference my previous degree. I did really well at Boston College, but it's not terribly related to what I'm doing now. Should I refrain from mentioning my previous degree unless an employer asks about it? It's on my resume and linkedin after all.

I started my first FT dev job in July, turned 33 in June, and graduated with my BS CS in May. Don't sweat the age thing, I interviewed for an IBM position that would make you feel downright young compared to the staff there, and the devs I've worked with at my internship and current position range 23-50ish. Granted neither were trendy startups run by 25 year old CEOs, but I think overall people just don't want to work with a crochety stubborn greybeard.

As far as Hackathons go, bring some resumes in your bag, why the hell not? Talk to everyone you meet, especially any company representatives that might be there to offer their input on projects. I mostly kept my head down coding, and while I did score a lunch date with a couple Microsoft reps (from sales :reject:), largely what I got from it was a good time and a project I could talk about at interviews (especially when they asked if I had ever worked on a project with a team).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm wondering if I should bring copies of my resume? Or is that too cheesy?
You should probably always have current copies in your bag. You never know who you’ll run into on campus. I’m regularly spontaneously attending tech talks and recruiting events on campus and don’t want to have to plan ahead to bring copies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I just took some online coding test. Made me feel like an absolute moron. Can I write an algorithm that determines the edit distance between 2 strings? sure. Can I do it in 10 minutes with no auto complete? No way. I'm totally boned when it comes to interviews...

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Radio Talmudist posted:

For what it is worth, I would not consider your age a liability. We've had a couple guys come through for interviews for entry/junior positions that were at least of similar age and experience and they were the best candidates we have seen for that level. We offered them jobs, but they were scooped up by somewhere else.

In my highly unscientific opinion, a 28 year old is generally going to have a better work ethic than some 22 year old. If you are graduating at 28, you've clearly demonstrated that this field/work is of interest to you, enough to go back to school and get another degree. If you also have a family, then you've really demonstrated to me an ability to manage lots of demands.

All other things being equal, I'd rather hire a 28 year old than a 22 year old. Plus I felt really bad when my intern this past summer had never heard of the video games I told him I used to play.

This is one man's opinion, obviously. So I'd suggest not worrying about your age and don't try to hide your previous degree.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I've got an interview next week (first in person one!) and I'm starting to stress myself out. It's a tiny little startup that's rebuilding their website (Angular, which I'm pretty confident with), and I don't know what kind of red flags I should be on the lookout for. I've hunted around on the internet, and it's a self funded healthcare company from some P&G dudes, and that's about all I know.

Any words of wisdom? Things I should know?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Snak posted:

Ugh, I just took some online coding test. Made me feel like an absolute moron. Can I write an algorithm that determines the edit distance between 2 strings? sure. Can I do it in 10 minutes with no auto complete? No way. I'm totally boned when it comes to interviews...

It's a pretty standard dynamic programming interview question, if you get comfortable answering dynamic programming problems you should be able to whip an algorithm out fairly easily in the course of an interview.

I couldn't do it off the top of my head now but when I was interviewing I could just because I had practiced writing that algorithm and several variations of it.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

The Dark Wind posted:

For any coding challenge thing the absolute best thing you can do is include a README that explains why you did things. Whether it's "this was a simple project so I went with vanilla because it was the clearest" or "this is a simple project and react is overkill but I wanted to show how I'd structure a larger app". Do what you think best shows off your skills and document what assumptions and decisions you made.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's a pretty standard dynamic programming interview question, if you get comfortable answering dynamic programming problems you should be able to whip an algorithm out fairly easily in the course of an interview.

I couldn't do it off the top of my head now but when I was interviewing I could just because I had practiced writing that algorithm and several variations of it.

I'm looking at one now that's about finding the period of a periodic sequence, and I don't even know how to start. Good thing I've never gonna actually get an interview and have to worry about it...

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Snak posted:

I'm looking at one now that's about finding the period of a periodic sequence, and I don't even know how to start. Good thing I've never gonna actually get an interview and have to worry about it...

Programming challenges like that are a skill, you can practice and get better at them. To some degree it'll even make you a better developer, although the effort you have to put in to get good at it would probably be better spent on real projects, but this seems to be the method the industry has settled on for hiring people, so v:)v

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Destroyenator posted:

For any coding challenge thing the absolute best thing you can do is include a README that explains why you did things. Whether it's "this was a simple project so I went with vanilla because it was the clearest" or "this is a simple project and react is overkill but I wanted to show how I'd structure a larger app". Do what you think best shows off your skills and document what assumptions and decisions you made.

Thanks! I was definitely planning on including a README, but it's a little strange since they want me to submit it via codepen. I'm thinking of either including a readme as top-level comments or in the e-mail. Not sure which is less intrusive/more likely to get read, but oh well.

I ended up doing it in Vanilla JS, but then the instructions in the doc they sent me had an extra requirement different from the codepen, and it mentioned using jQuery for changing the data on the page. I'm just going to make two versions and send them both, since it's pretty trivial to convert the vanilla JS into jQuery.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Shirec posted:

I've got an interview next week (first in person one!) and I'm starting to stress myself out. It's a tiny little startup that's rebuilding their website (Angular, which I'm pretty confident with), and I don't know what kind of red flags I should be on the lookout for. I've hunted around on the internet, and it's a self funded healthcare company from some P&G dudes, and that's about all I know.

Any words of wisdom? Things I should know?

I'd expect from what little information you gave it to be a laid back, low pay, high hours tech focused environment. Ask about development process, version control in place, techstack, CI/CD in place and their testing practises. For your first job, you cannot be to harsh but lack of process, no version control or very crappy, all deployments by hand and complete absence of testing (unit, system, functional, interface) are pretty red flags in my book. This is after I ensure the techstack is a fit. On the other hand, I have been asked to improve the company on these points, then I need to find out if it is management that wants to change or the workers as well.
To be honest, with healthcare being an interesting market, it sounds like a very good place to start your career (if at least some of the above is not a flaming mess by design).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/31/547646709/u-s-employers-struggle-to-match-workers-with-open-jobs

quote:

In the United States, there's a record number of jobs open: around 6 million. That's just about one job opening for every officially unemployed person in the country.

Andrew Chamberlain, chief economist for the job site Glassdoor, says U.S. employers often complain that workers don't have the skills needed for the jobs available. That is true for some upper-level health care and technology jobs. "But for the most part, it doesn't look to be like there is a skills gap," Chamberlain says. "That's not the main reason why there are many job openings."

Chamberlain says that with unemployment so low and the U.S. labor force growing slowly, there's no doubt it is harder for companies to find workers. But he says if that were the main problem, you would see wages rising more rapidly in the economy — and that's not the case in many industries.

Part of the hiring problem, Chamberlain says, lies in company hiring policies.

Peter Cappelli, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, agrees. He says one problem is that companies are posting openings with required qualifications that aren't really necessary for the job.

"They're just asking for the moon, and not expecting to pay very much for it," Cappelli says. "And as a result they [can't] find those people. Now that [doesn't] mean there was nobody to do the job; it just [means] that there was nobody at the price they were willing to pay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

venutolo posted:

All other things being equal, I'd rather hire a 28 year old than a 22 year old. Plus I felt really bad when my intern this past summer had never heard of the video games I told him I used to play.

That's comforting to hear. Thank you for your perspective!