Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are they both on the same WiFi network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some stuff I read implies that mail accounts can be synced through iCloud between my Mac and iPhone. It's not happening for me and I'm not sure how to enable it. Ideas? I just want to have both work and personal email on all my apple devices without having to enter it on each device.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is cross-posted from another SH/SC thread: does anyone have recommendations for antivirus software for Mac (OS X Yosemite?) I found that ClamAV tends to crap itself (seems like a memory leak) if you try and scan the main drive thingy or whatever you call it that has the OS in it. (I am new to this Mac stuff.)

But to be honest since I don't pirate stuff, don't install anything that's unsigned, don't use Java, and don't run any extensions that aren't secure or in an unsafe mode, I'm not sure if it's really necessary with OS X...? v:shobon:v

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

yeah I found that when I was searching, but I was already on my conference call and didn't want to be the rear end in a top hat constantly rejoining.

Right, making the call isn't the problem. I think it's just a little buggy... I was expecting a similar interface to that of an iPhone..

I wanted the button from the bottom left so I could just click to join the bridge, but instead I got this:

When I tried dialing the passcode from the keyboard, nothing happened. I think it's just buggy, because I tried it a couple times, and the last time I actually saw what I was expecting.

Oh yeah, that needs to be added, conference calling especially. Also, the fact that you can't call numbers by typing their letters, 1-800-Apple or whatever, is annoying.
I'm really shocked that they don't have the FaceTime handoff icon show up on the dock or phone when the other is connected to a call. Strange omission.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It's not. You should start fearing when Apple includes an AV nag in Notification Center when you don't install one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's like Safari is getting worse and worse. Today on top of slow loads, I'm getting tons of beach-balls.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Three-Phase posted:

This is cross-posted from another SH/SC thread: does anyone have recommendations for antivirus software for Mac (OS X Yosemite?) I found that ClamAV tends to crap itself (seems like a memory leak) if you try and scan the main drive thingy or whatever you call it that has the OS in it. (I am new to this Mac stuff.)

But to be honest since I don't pirate stuff, don't install anything that's unsigned, don't use Java, and don't run any extensions that aren't secure or in an unsafe mode, I'm not sure if it's really necessary with OS X...? v:shobon:v

It's not

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Even on Windows, Anti-virus has been snake oil for many years now. On OSX, it's fake snake oil made from artificial ferrets.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
Is there a way to change the speed of the volume controls? Like, if you were hold down the F11 or F12 is there a way to make the change happen faster or slower than the default?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just noticed something on my MBA, Instant Hotspot doesn't seem to be working. I see my phone on my iPad but I don't see it in my MBA's AP selection. Is there something I have to turn on? SMS Continuity is working so I'm not sure why Instant Hotspot isn't showing up.

Phone is on 8.1 and the MBA is on Yosemite.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Syjefroi posted:

Is there a way to change the speed of the volume controls? Like, if you were hold down the F11 or F12 is there a way to make the change happen faster or slower than the default?

The speed is a reflection of your global key repeat rate. (System Preferences > Keyboard)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

That's cool. Lots of people said it wasn't necessary as long as you follow basic safeguards. Oh, and I never "use" the computer in administrator mode. I have a separate account that I use to "elevate" myself when necessary.

I realized a few days ago I was surfing in Safari with adblock temporarily off. Should I take my backup, flatten, and re-install the OS?

As an aside, coming from someone who used Windows pretty much their entire life, I was absolutely delighted when I realized that I could use control+arrow to switch between multiple desktops!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 22, 2014

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Mikey-San posted:

The speed is a reflection of your global key repeat rate. (System Preferences > Keyboard)

Ah, so I messed with some lines through Terminal to turn off the ios style feature where holding a key brings up the accent palette - now anytime I hold a key it repeats, no matter what. But I think that may have set a standard speed that ignores my System Pref settings. I just did some testing and nothing I adjust in the preferences makes a different on the key repeat rate (or the delay until repeat for that matter). I guess this is the price I have to pay for true repeating characters? For what it's worth, software I use daily sometimes needs repeated keys, so that was an absolute must to fix. Wish I didn't lose the ability to quickly change my volume though.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Three-Phase posted:

I realized a few days ago I was surfing in Safari with adblock temporarily off. Should I take my backup, flatten, and re-install the OS?
Burn the machine. In a foreign country preferably. Also consider killing everyone you've spoken to in the last 6 days.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

Burn the machine. In a foreign country preferably. Also consider killing everyone you've spoken to in the last 6 days.

Can viruses infect the restore partition? I'd assume that's something that's effectively read-only.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Three-Phase posted:

Can viruses infect the restore partition? I'd assume that's something that's effectively read-only.

It's normally unmounted, but malware which already controls things could easily mount it read/write. If you ever decide to start over with a clean install and you're paranoid about the restore partition having been hacked, you can use Internet Restore.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BobHoward posted:

It's normally unmounted, but malware which already controls things could easily mount it read/write. If you ever decide to start over with a clean install and you're paranoid about the restore partition having been hacked, you can use Internet Restore.

I would think that the OS (or the restore loader... thing...) would so some kind of check to make sure the restore partition wasn't screwed with. And if that partition isn't mounted, unless the malware can mount it... that sounds pretty convoluted. Possible, but not plausible.

As I said before, I am really new to the Mac, but I think the internet restore functionality is amazing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
And now Instant Hotspot is showing up. What are you doing to me Yosemite?! :psyduck:

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
You guys are scaring me with all these Yosemite bugs. Making the jump to a MBP later this year after being on Windows/being a Windows IT guy forever.

Although Windows 8.1 was doing this the other day, so gently caress it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
just wanna say i've had no issues with yosemite or its interactions with iOS 8.1

thanks timb

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

So since updating to Yosemite, iPhoto is now auto-running whenever I connect my iPhone, even though I had turned that behavior off in Mavericks and the preferences panel continues to show that nothing should happen when the iPhone is connected.

Anyone else getting this?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have always gone into the image capture app and changed my phone so it wouldn't open any apps when connected.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

fleshweasel posted:

I have always gone into the image capture app and changed my phone so it wouldn't open any apps when connected.

This did it! Thank you very much.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Probably a stupid question, but: If I upgrade from Mountain Lion to Yosemite, I shouldn't have to worry about losing things like saved passwords or bookmarks or files, or having steam, firefox, or pages gently caress up catastrophically, right? Assuming the update goes the way it's supposed to.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It will be fine. What've you been doing on mountain lion for the past year, dummy? Mavericks had such big efficiency improvements.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Probably a stupid question, but: If I upgrade from Mountain Lion to Yosemite, I shouldn't have to worry about losing things like saved passwords or bookmarks or files, or having steam, firefox, or pages gently caress up catastrophically, right? Assuming the update goes the way it's supposed to.

You're good, buddy. Go ahead and update.

((Always have a functional backup)(you won't need it but just in case, ok bye.))

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Pretty much every time I've really needed a backup has been hardware failures.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyone who uses Google Drive figured out a way to make the menu bar icon show up in dark theme? They have the same shade so it just kinda disappears.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Anyone who uses Google Drive figured out a way to make the menu bar icon show up in dark theme? They have the same shade so it just kinda disappears.

Hangouts does the same.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
My new rMBP arrived today and I just finished moving all of my files. Following problem: Pages refuses to open some of the documents, telling me that I need a newer Pages version to do so. Of course I am on Yosemite now with the very latest Pages version available. The latest Pages documents in question were created with Pages 5.2.2 on OS X 10.9.5. What I don't understand is that I can open some files just fine (even really old ones).

Is this a known problem?

edit: Fixed it by deleting all document folders, restarting the computer, and importing them again. Of course I have no idea why that would fix it. But it did.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 23, 2014

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Another Yosemite annoyance - my Finder window sometimes loses the location and size that I've set for what should be the default. Finder used to behave erratically like this back in the day of earlier versions of OSX, but this particular issue hasn't been a problem for at least the last couple of releases. Now, I'll click Finder and the window will appear in some random location onscreen and at some random size that's way too big or too small. Why can't it just stay the way I left it, like it has for the past few years?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Right click on the app, choose "show package contents," open the resources folder, and then swap the mac-normal and mac-normal-inverse icons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

wdarkk posted:

Pretty much every time I've really needed a backup has been hardware failures.

Or stupidity. Years ago I was doing an OS upgrade (Tiger -> Leopard I think?) and somehow knocked the power cord for my laptop out of the wall without noticing it. It was an old-ish laptop and the battery was poo poo. Got about half-way through installing the new OS and. . . :downs:

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 23, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Sith Happens posted:

Another Yosemite annoyance - my Finder window sometimes loses the location and size that I've set for what should be the default. Finder used to behave erratically like this back in the day of earlier versions of OSX, but this particular issue hasn't been a problem for at least the last couple of releases. Now, I'll click Finder and the window will appear in some random location onscreen and at some random size that's way too big or too small. Why can't it just stay the way I left it, like it has for the past few years?

If there was ever a time that Finder worked consistently for you, consider that time a gift from the gods, a golden age bequeathed to you for lifting that freight train off that lady's baby (or going three days without masturbating, or whatever it is your gods approve of).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just noticed something on my MBA, Instant Hotspot doesn't seem to be working. I see my phone on my iPad but I don't see it in my MBA's AP selection. Is there something I have to turn on? SMS Continuity is working so I'm not sure why Instant Hotspot isn't showing up.

Phone is on 8.1 and the MBA is on Yosemite.

which year is your MBA? That feature only works on the 2012 or newer (and the 2011 if you are willing to hex edit some kexts). Otherwise, I found that I needed to sign out of iCloud, reboot, and sign back into iCloud on all of my devices before any continuity features worked. Also you must have icloud keychain enabled for password transfer.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I only have an MBP not a phone, and am using Mailbox. It seems to work just fine, to show me my emails in my two accounts in a standalone app so I don't have to open the Gmail page any more. Is there any reason I should change to Airmail? It seems pretty, but I"m not sure what is so wonderful about it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sad Panda posted:

It seems pretty, but I"m not sure what is so wonderful about it.

New thread title material right there.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

I only have an MBP not a phone, and am using Mailbox. It seems to work just fine, to show me my emails in my two accounts in a standalone app so I don't have to open the Gmail page any more. Is there any reason I should change to Airmail? It seems pretty, but I"m not sure what is so wonderful about it.

I like Airmail because it works with Exchange. Also it lets me use gmail keyboard shortcuts which I was already quite familiar with.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

vtlock posted:

Right click on the app, choose "show package contents," open the resources folder, and then swap the mac-normal and mac-normal-inverse icons.

Huh, so that's what that gap was in my menu bar. :v:

Still, the icon doesn't seem to do anything anymore when you click on it. In Mavericks it had a dropdown menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Okay, so iCloud Drive folder nesting: apparently it works outside the app folders. Which is just great, as most of the stuff in the Drive is stuff I've been working on in Pages. :smith: