Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i don't think anyone's really fantasizing here. the worldview exhibited by his books is a really genuinely awful one that he's voiced support for in nonfictional contexts.

e: like, he's a stupid dork who wrote a bad book, but then you start picking apart why the book is bad beyond the obvious, and hooooooly blistering gently caress. Ernest Cline is basically a guy who saw the society depicted by Snow Crash and went "yeah, this but unironically!" and didn't realize that Snow Crash was meant to be a loving dystopia, not a utopia.

A world where people live in literal high rise trailer parks, corporations blow up hundreds of people if you refuse to work for them, and the only thing making it bearable is a video game: a utopia, according to famed philosopher LORD OF BOOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jedit posted:

A world where people live in literal high rise trailer parks, corporations blow up hundreds of people if you refuse to work for them, and the only thing making it bearable is a video game: a utopia, according to famed philosopher LORD OF BOOTY.

I dunno, the techno-utopian angle of the Oasis is fairly in line with how progressives from silicon valley view the internet as a haven apart from the corruption of the real world. You know, except for the fact that the internet is legit owned by large natsec and corporate actors, so...

Technocratic utopian ideologies are profoundly naive, almost dogmatic, not unlike progressivism itself with its relationship to the concept of providence.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Jedit posted:

It's less the state of the "real world" in the book, more about the idea that devoting your entire life to escapism isn't a problem, but instead cool and good

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Arstotzka welcomes you.

Papers Please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mhuh6ojc0I

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

i... think you misunderstood me a little. i think that sounds staggeringly loving awful. the tone Ready Player One takes towards its world indicates that Ernest Cline thinks this sounds loving awesome. this is why I think Ernest Cline is probably an actual bad person and not just a bad writer: because his idea of a really nice world to live in sounds insanely horrible to me or any thinking person.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Machio sucked at Karate in the original movies. Just how bad is he going to be as a 56 year old?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i... think you misunderstood me a little. i think that sounds staggeringly loving awful. the tone Ready Player One takes towards its world indicates that Ernest Cline thinks this sounds loving awesome. this is why I think Ernest Cline is probably an actual bad person and not just a bad writer: because his idea of a really nice world to live in sounds insanely horrible to me or any thinking person.

I didn't get that impression at all, though. He thinks the Oasis would be a wonderful place to live, but yeah, it's your fantasy so why wouldn't you think that? I never thought he felt that the real world he described would be fine no matter what because it had the Oasis to escape into.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jedit posted:

I didn't get that impression at all, though. He thinks the Oasis would be a wonderful place to live, but yeah, it's your fantasy so why wouldn't you think that? I never thought he felt that the real world he described would be fine no matter what because it had the Oasis to escape into.

It's an almost profound degree of imaginative impotence. The fantasy isn't living in a better world, the fantasy is having a more encompassing tool of escapism.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPY4TKo6uQ

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5X3vC-XsU0

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

This is fairly antiseptic, down to the logo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I liked the reboot with Joey from FRIENDS better

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Taintrunner posted:

I liked the reboot with Joey from FRIENDS better

It had Gary Oldman. And it's own sort of bad movie charm.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
There had to be at least one review out there that included "Oh the pain, the pain" when talking about watching the movie and if not what are we even doing here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably that gently caress Doug Walker

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

I cannot wait to see Parker Posey as Dr. Smith. That's some brilliant casting.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

None of this is real. Except my love for Aubrey Plaza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9UcfgkU8hk

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Intergalactic white flight is an insane idea that I wanna watch

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yardie, directed by Idris Elba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee24QB3o16o

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As an American I will never see that word without thinking

quote:

Sol: You are a bad-boy yardie, and bad-boy yardies are supposed to know how to get rid of bodies. Bad Boy Lincoln: I create the bodies. I don't erase the bodies.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I'm pumped, it's pretty much the only comic book adaptation, tv, movie, whatever, these days that I can actually sorta tolerate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQ59yNSbKs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Heard it was so-so but I'm excited that Elba's getting into directing. He's amazing.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

As an American I will never see that word without thinking

Snatch is the movie that made me get into video, its amazing

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The MSJ posted:

I've just started watching the first season and I was disappointed to find out the "Skip this part" line wasn't referring to the Bollywood dance number like the trailer implied.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

I've just started watching the first season and I was disappointed to find out the "Skip this part" line wasn't referring to the Bollywood dance number like the trailer implied.

Why would you want to skip that?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I don't, that's what the guy David's telling his flashback says in the middle of it. It was just kind of funny to think we was going to that much detail.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not a movie, but still has me asking why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8B5dqjsZUs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ah, the legendary Reboot Reboot.

I guess Bob did find out if Users live outside the system.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GrandpaPants posted:

Not a movie, but still has me asking why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8B5dqjsZUs

God I hate Netflix.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

God I hate Netflix.

:same:

But they've greenlit some interesting movie projects at least.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Taintrunner posted:

God I hate Netflix.

They're obviously throwing poo poo at the wall but I'm okay with it as long as they're funding mid-budget movies cause even if the films arent always amazing, sometimes they're at least decent & anyway they're p much the only place that give a poo poo about indies atm.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

& anyway they're p much the only place that give a poo poo about indies atm.

I'm not sure what this means, because despite the fact that huge blockbuster cinema has swallowed 90%+ of the marketshare, the specialty box office is incredibly healthy and varied at the moment, and Netflix is not a part of that AT ALL. Where Amazon Studios at least does some type of limited theatrical showing for its smaller titles (say 1 or 2 show premiers at a 500 seat auditorium) Netflix isn't interested at all in engaging with that space. Regardless of their financing of a few interesting movie projects here and there (some of which are scraping the bottom of the barrel) Netflix has spent the last 8 years culling support for film from their platform in favor of television shows.

So yeah, they don't outright suck, but they are pretty loving bad and I do not care for their service.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Just what it seemed like to me, as a total outsider. I don't often go to the cinema (it's insanely expensive so I save it for stuff where I really want that experience).

It does seem like there are more mid-budget movies recently though. Idk who caused it then but it's a good thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

God I hate Netflix.

AFAIK they don't have anything to do with the production of this, they're just distributing it. You would think this would be something from someone who just bought the name and didn't actually have anything to do with the original but nope, this is still the same company.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKA8H_LolNM

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm not sure what this means, because despite the fact that huge blockbuster cinema has swallowed 90%+ of the marketshare, the specialty box office is incredibly healthy and varied at the moment, and Netflix is not a part of that AT ALL. Where Amazon Studios at least does some type of limited theatrical showing for its smaller titles (say 1 or 2 show premiers at a 500 seat auditorium) Netflix isn't interested at all in engaging with that space. Regardless of their financing of a few interesting movie projects here and there (some of which are scraping the bottom of the barrel) Netflix has spent the last 8 years culling support for film from their platform in favor of television shows.

So yeah, they don't outright suck, but they are pretty loving bad and I do not care for their service.

95% of America doesn't have access to "Specialty Box Offices" but do have access to Netflix.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

I wish this was Rochelle Rochelle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BonoMan posted:

95% of America doesn't have access to "Specialty Box Offices" but do have access to Netflix.

I'm aware that the industry has consolidated, though Netflix isn't actually helping the proliferation of independent art cinema so :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

AFAIK they don't have anything to do with the production of this, they're just distributing it. You would think this would be something from someone who just bought the name and didn't actually have anything to do with the original but nope, this is still the same company.

The original creators aren't on board, it's basically a different company who bought the old company's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That makes it even worse. I hope it gets ripped to shreds. What a loving insult.

• Locked thread