Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Jesus loving christ. If you're having trouble paying for you and your kids, stop having more kids. What the gently caress.

edit: looks like you pasted the wrong link accidentally, here's the link to the one you quoted. https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4asa10/33000_in_debt_with_nothing_to_show_for_it/

That makes a lot more sense, I was reading the link and thinking: "huh? it's not the best situation but he sounds like he has a good chance of pulling them through."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The real BWM in that story is knowing they're low/no income and being scared of going on welfare.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Not a Children posted:

I don't think I'm being too much of a crotchety fogey by saying that anyone who needs to be able to get high while working needs a serious reality check

yeah gently caress those three-martini lunches

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

yeah gently caress those three-martini lunches

I know, right?

What decade are you from that drinking on your lunch break is still a thing?

Reminds me of that story that I think was posted here of the guy who kept ordering beers at a company lunch until he finally got fired.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Its totally still a thing I promise you.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know, right?

Reminds me of that story that I think was posted here of the guy who kept ordering beers at a company lunch until he finally got fired.

Having a beer at lunch is a totally normal thing in much of the world, and even in the US in certain locales and industries it's not weird.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Having a beer at lunch is a totally normal thing in much of the world, and even in the US in certain locales and industries it's not weird.

A beer is one thing. Cocktails or hard liquor is something else.

Every corporate job I've had prohibits drinking at lunch. If you have to drink because it's a client lunch you go home afterwards, not back to the office.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've worked like 3 jobs over the past 6 years where it's cool to have a beer with your boss on lunch. IT tho so its magic world.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In a restaurant, vodka&tonic, beer, or wine are going to have about the same alcohol in them. It's always nice when companies let their employees manage their ability to do their (non-safety-critical) jobs, be it from lunch beverages or illness or cold medication or fatigue. Just a little spark of "you are an adult".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The story in question, iirc, was someone who was explicitly told by the exec to stop ordering drinks at lunch, kept doing it, was told again, kept doing it, and then was fired.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Tigntink posted:

I've worked like 3 jobs over the past 6 years where it's cool to have a beer with your boss on lunch. IT tho so its magic world.

I interviewed for a job in software that had a keg in the break room. It was software for financial and insurance companies, too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Knyteguy posted:

I interviewed for a job in software that had a keg in the break room. It was software for financial and insurance companies, too.
One of my friends worked at a place where you're supposed to drink if you break the build.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Where I work it's totally cool to get a couple of beers at lunch, and I imagine cocktails aren't really any different. However, it's definitely worth taking the temperature of the room beforehand.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nail Rat posted:

Where I work it's totally cool to get a couple of beers at lunch, and I imagine cocktails aren't really any different. However, it's definitely worth taking the temperature of the room beforehand.

Rule of thumb is wait to see if your boss or supervisor does it. If you are still nervous, ask if anyone minds.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tigntink posted:

Rule of thumb is wait to see if your boss or supervisor does it. If you are still nervous, ask if anyone minds.

But don't ask if you're nervous enough that your hands are shaking, that will send a very bad message.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know, right?

It's called lunch drunk, and it's a thing. I don't do it, ever, but it's a thing.

My friends company (~800? Employees around the world) has 2 kegs and a fridge with cider in the company-stocked break room. It happens.

My company is a financial services company with lots of govt contracts and we aren't allowed to drink and return to work. I think some of the call center / claims benefits people do it, but it's definitely disallowed.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 17, 2016

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Being high is a lot closer to being drunk than what happens when your average adult has one drink with a full meal.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Yeah but getting just a little high is more GWM than getting a little drunk. Daydrinking: BWM.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The Mandingo posted:

Daydrinking: BWM.

Gonna need the numbers to back this one up.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's not BWM if it's free beer from the office fridge.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Senf posted:

Gonna need the numbers to back this one up.

Hang on, I'll get back to you when my buzz goes away.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

silvergoose posted:

The story in question, iirc, was someone who was explicitly told by the exec to stop ordering drinks at lunch, kept doing it, was told again, kept doing it, and then was fired.

That was a fantastic story and I really enjoyed it and I wish I had kept a link/copy of it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

overdesigned posted:

That was a fantastic story and I really enjoyed it and I wish I had kept a link/copy of it.

No Reddit link handy, but Haifisch shared it here.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
60 Minutes doco on Australian property speculation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ktN_h7-J4

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Knyteguy posted:

I write software for a company in the finance industry, and we definitely do not have a keg in the break room. We do have three ping-pong tables, and a foosball table, so that's pretty cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

One of my friends worked at a place where you're supposed to drink if you break the build.

Oh, my God. We'd all be dead. The operations people would be extra dead, since disk space and permissions issues have broken every build of like four products for the last two weeks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Centripetal Horse posted:

I write software for a company in the finance industry, and we definitely do not have a keg in the break room. We do have three ping-pong tables, and a foosball table, so that's pretty cool.

Oh, my God. We'd all be dead. The operations people would be extra dead, since disk space and permissions issues have broken every build of like four products for the last two weeks.

How's the job? You happy with the place?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress me. I work for lovely businesses then because the closest I got to getting buzzed at work was champagne for an all hands engineering meeting. And there's a good chance that was non-alcoholic.

Then again AT&T took free coffee away and banned personal coffee makers. And our floor had coders. We might as well have been Mormon for all the substances we got to abuse.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

I work in IT operations for a finance company, can confirm developers are the reason we drink. (testing? that's when we push it to production and it doesn't work, right?)

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

This is not novel to millenials.

What is novel is that many millenials were explicitly taught by their elders that college equals non-sucky job, then expected to be willing to work lower-class dead-end jobs alongside high school dropouts. Meanwhile, college tuition has been rising at an obscene pace while minimum wage has been nowhere near keeping pace with inflation. So they actually have a perfectly legitimate reason for feeling like they're "too good" for burger flipping.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

What is novel is that many millenials were explicitly taught by their elders that college equals non-sucky job, then expected to be willing to work lower-class dead-end jobs alongside high school dropouts. Meanwhile, college tuition has been rising at an obscene pace while minimum wage has been nowhere near keeping pace with inflation. So they actually have a perfectly legitimate reason for feeling like they're "too good" for burger flipping.

Also having a student loan so large that a part time minimum wage job doesn't really cut it with repayments. College students in the US have been enslaved by the baby boomers with no way out.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
"How about taking some personal responsibility for your decisions?" -A baby boomer, after flipping their first house.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's funny. My mom used to warn me when I was growing up 'Don't think going to university means you'll get a nice job. Everyone goes to university these days.'

Obviously that alone didn't fix my perspective on things, but I think it might be a healthier outlook to take overall.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

This is really depressing. I get needing to help out your post partum wife and sick children, but not when it literally means losing your only source of income. Priorities, people! It sounds like the company might not take him back, either.

The most depressing part is that she's wondering about getting either a deep freezer or switching to cloth diapers to save money. These are legitimate questions when you are trying to increase your savings ratio when your poo poo is at least somewhat under control. But let me repeat, they have ZERO income. Might as well go all out with the credit card debt at this point, as someone pointed out.

Speeding towards a cliff, and her question is about how hard she should be pushing the accelerator...

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 18, 2016

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
At my job we've got a fridge of booze in the staff room, Friday afternoons after work's done we unlock it and some folks stick around for booze and BSing.

This is at a private high school :australia:

silvergoose posted:

Yeah that owned and is enshrined in my personal Hall of Fame for this thread. I really wonder what goes through those people's heads.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

At my job we've got a fridge of booze in the staff room, Friday afternoons after work's done we unlock it and some folks stick around for booze and BSing.

This is at a private high school :australia:

Yeah that owned and is enshrined in my personal Hall of Fame for this thread. I really wonder what goes through those people's heads.

This happened when I worked at an ISP - beers and soft drinks on Fridays! Back in the day one guy had to hand a customer over to the supervisor by saying "Sorry, I think I'm too drunk to answer your question". Then had a nap under his desk. Still works there, last I checked.

At my current job we normally do a Friday pub lunch. Nobody cares how much you drink so long as you can still drive and finish off the day.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Redditor thinks that "natural law" says they shouldn't have to finish paying their (Canadian government) student loan.

LOL posted:

TL;DR : I have been paying an OSAP loan for over a decade. I have re-paid at least $10k MORE than I borrowed, but according to them I still owe about $2k that I really don't have. Is there an "enough is enough" law regarding this situation?

[snip for length]

I did 6-months of 'interest-relief' and now they are calling again looking for a minimum monthly payment. They do offer options to continue 'interest-relief' for another 6-months and then resume minimum payments, but to be completely honest, I am sick of this never ending cycle of minimum payments.

I feel like enough is enough of this loan. The total amount I borrowed was about $25k. Over the years I have paid about $35k. I have re-paid what I borrowed plus plenty of interest. I know, according to their convoluted way of spinning loans, $x of the principle still remains and $x of my payments are interest, but to what end? This is a loan from the government, not some loan-shark company who's business model relies on interest revenue. Hasn't the government made enough money in interest off of me? Surely any reasonable person can see that I have re-paid what I borrowed, plus a huge amount of interest for the privilege. When they call asking for my monthly payment, I explain this to them, but they only chuckle and give their condescending explanation of principle and interest and why according to their made up bullshit I still owe them money. Surely, natural-law takes over at some point? ie, I have re-paid soooo much more than I borrowed and that makes us square, no?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Looks like college didn't do him much good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This has been on my bank's website for months:

Is this a 1980's Miami Vice cigarette speedboat best friend kind of guy? Definitely not a pontoon boat friend with a suit like that.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

hanales posted:

Looks like college didn't do him much good.

They dropped out after 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Kareem posted:

This has been on my bank's website for months:

Is this a 1980's Miami Vice cigarette speedboat best friend kind of guy? Definitely not a pontoon boat friend with a suit like that.
Is this like being that one friend with the pickup truck, because everyone can just borrow it when they need one? :v:

• Locked thread