Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you just want Sherlock except with good plots and only focusing on homicide, give Luther a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Give the first season of Luther a whirl, everything after shits the bed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Do not even ask posted:

Give the first season of Luther a whirl, everything after shits the bed.

I thought the second season was pretty awesome. Didn't care too much for the third though. The whole point of getting Ripley to join internal affairs was just silly though. Luther is horrendously irresponsible when going after a case, but nothing he'd done before that suggested he'd be willing to do a batman interrogation holding a suspect over a railing.

Season 1 is the best though. The episode with the ptsd soldier and his abusive prison father was amazing.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 22, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Detective Conan is a mystery series aimed at children, and thus I remember from years ago that it felt like reading long-form Slylock Fox with extreme violence.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 22, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Detective Conan is a mystery show aimed at children, and thus I remember from years ago that it felt like reading long-form Inspector Fox with extreme violence.

Eh, in tone I'd put it next to Midsomer Murders. There's always the tongue-in-cheek element to it but then the murders get pretty graphic such as in the in the very first case where the murderer loving decapitates her victim.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Mumbles quit, because she couldn't take the comments on Shamus' blog anymore.

Well that's one hell of a monkey's paw right there.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you just want Sherlock except with good plots and only focusing on homicide, give Luther a whirl.

I dunno, I started Luther and it felt like a condensed parody of every Unstable Genius show from the last 15 years.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

LFK posted:

I dunno, I started Luther and it felt like a condensed parody of every Unstable Genius show from the last 15 years.

Luther really does suffer from a similair problem as Sherlock (cocky writers getting sloppy and lazy) especially with how it just gets worse and worse the more the show goes on. However I'd say Luther starts at a way higher quality level and even at its worst is probably better than Sherlocks best.

And if we're just talking lead actors Idris Elba is way better than Benedict Cumberland.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've hated Cumberbatch ever since I saw that horrible Imitation Game. God, what a loving disgrace. that movie was.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Beneficial Cabbagepatch annoys me because internet dorks love him for some inexplicable reason.

Anyways here have JonTron crying about the Women's March because he's a massive fuccboi neckbeard.

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/823081694676795397

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hey remember when people liked him? I sure don't anymore ever since he decided to have an interview with Nazis.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems awful. He's like the evil version of a man who is eternally a 15-year-old-boy. A nega-James-Rolfe.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
He's a sheltered nerd with super conservative parents and probably believes everything he reads online outside of the "lying" main stream media. I know people like that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SunAndSpring posted:

Beneficial Cabbagepatch annoys me because internet dorks love him for some inexplicable reason.

That stopped actually. The backlash has been in full swing for at least two years now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

twitter was a mistake

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh2u8gXX24U

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Hey my computer was out of commission since just before New Year. I was on page 466. I'm not reading the backlog. Did I miss anything fun?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

lornekates posted:

Hey my computer was out of commission since just before New Year. I was on page 466. I'm not reading the backlog. Did I miss anything fun?

RLM is run by old people and jontron is a nazi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Luther really does suffer from a similair problem as Sherlock (cocky writers getting sloppy and lazy) especially with how it just gets worse and worse the more the show goes on. However I'd say Luther starts at a way higher quality level and even at its worst is probably better than Sherlocks best.

And if we're just talking lead actors Idris Elba is way better than Benedict Cumberland.

Idris Elba is really who sells the show. Luther isn't a particularly unique character, but Elba plays him so damned well at switching between a cocky, charismatic prick, and an uncontrollable psychopath beaten down by how stressful his job is.

I'd also suggest anyone looking for some good crime/mystery shows give Ripper Street a turn. It has its own share of problems too, but the main cast is just so good and at least its outdated politics make more sense because of its period setting.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
So, I've been doing podcasts as a patreon reward where I review LGBT and historical novels, rather than visual media. They're a bit different in style to my regular show, significantly more off-the-cuff (still edited though, none of those bits where people in the podcast say "we should edit this out" and then don't.) Most of them are only available for Patreon supporters, but I recently just did a brief review of the 9 books I read this summer holidays, so if you're interested in my take on historical and crime fiction, here's the Infamous Sphere Summer Reading Special!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've hated Cumberbatch ever since I saw that horrible Imitation Game. God, what a loving disgrace. that movie was.

That movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Like, I couldn't even bring myself to review it on my show because it's just so incredibly lukewarm. Just watch the Bletchley Circle instead!

And/or just watch Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, or the Russian one. I'm going to look smug but I always vastly preferred Holmes as a period piece, so I was never sold on Sherlock. Tuned out the minute that terrible Irene Adler episode happened, and it apparently still managed to get worse from there?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

So, I've been doing podcasts as a patreon reward where I review LGBT and historical novels, rather than visual media. They're a bit different in style to my regular show, significantly more off-the-cuff (still edited though, none of those bits where people in the podcast say "we should edit this out" and then don't.) Most of them are only available for Patreon supporters, but I recently just did a brief review of the 9 books I read this summer holidays, so if you're interested in my take on historical and crime fiction, here's the Infamous Sphere Summer Reading Special!

That movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Like, I couldn't even bring myself to review it on my show because it's just so incredibly lukewarm. Just watch the Bletchley Circle instead!

And/or just watch Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, or the Russian one. I'm going to look smug but I always vastly preferred Holmes as a period piece, so I was never sold on Sherlock. Tuned out the minute that terrible Irene Adler episode happened, and it apparently still managed to get worse from there?

I most hated the movie because it handled Alan Turing's life completely wrong. They didn't get his personality right, they didn't get his life story right, they completely botched it. They don't show why what he and his crew did was important, they don't explain anything to the audience (seriously, it's not that hard to have one or two scenes of basic exposition to explain what's going on in layman's terms!), they barely cover his tragic end and do so in a completely half-assed manner that is almost insulting to real-life LGBT people and how they got treated back then.

It's a perfect example of Hollywood Biopic writing where everything is twisted to followed the cliché pre-established narrative at the expanse of the actually interesting and relevant life of the character.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's like the Patch Adams movie complete with condescending "I don't trust this new kind of thinking grumble grumble" stereotypical boss character archetype.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Mokinokaro posted:

He's a sheltered nerd with super conservative parents and probably believes everything he reads online outside of the "lying" main stream media. I know people like that.

I've known women who've spent time with him at industry parties and whatnot - he's just as much a gross misogynist as you think he is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's like the Patch Adams movie complete with condescending "I don't trust this new kind of thinking grumble grumble" stereotypical boss character archetype.

I guess THE NAZIS weren't compelling enough antagonists. Or the British government after the war.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

MonsieurChoc posted:

I guess THE NAZIS weren't compelling enough antagonists. Or the British government after the war.

Or like...the law that made being gay illegal. And Turing wasn't exactly secretive about being gay, if the Radiolab episode on him is any indication.

I feel like Morten Tyldum might be a bad director? I mean we've basically got this and Passengers, and we know how Passengers turned out.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

Or like...the law that made being gay illegal. And Turing wasn't exactly secretive about being gay, if the Radiolab episode on him is any indication.

I feel like Morten Tyldum might be a bad director? I mean we've basically got this and Passengers, and we know how Passengers turned out.

Passengers "Let's psychologically torture/monitor/break a woman for the selfish desires of a terrible man, people love that sort of thing"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Passengers is such a hosed up movie and man, this doesn't even take some kind of deep look at themes or subtle cues or any of that to realize it, it takes like a hard minute of stopping and thinking about the situation at all.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mr. Fowl posted:

RLM is run by old people and jontron is a nazi.

Oh Drama Bombs, how I've missed you.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

lornekates posted:

Oh Drama Bombs, how I've missed you.

I hate them myself and am getting long past the point where I just don't want to know anything about anyone lest I can no longer enjoy anything they create. Like right now I have a book about the history of comics I am debating burning because of what the author likes to do which ideally will put him in prison forever and should probably have his junk ripped off with an industrial belt sander. This goes to lesser degrees with say folks like Jontron or Tom Cruise and the like but.. Yeah. I am really happier not knowing anything anyone creative does or thinks because if it's awful/OMG disagree I have my enjoyment of previous works lessened and am unlikely to want anything new by them, in some cases just because I don't want to support assholes.

Jontron is one of those I was happier not knowing about though the examples of his badness seem minor and possibly correctable if people like talk and communicate with him. (Which nobody ever does because screaming and yelling seems to be what people want when someone has opposing action thing. And it doesn't actually work. If anything it makes people double down on their douche. Even if it was all really a sitcom like misunderstanding to start with. GREAT JOB.)

At least in his case he is kind of a sellout so it makes avoiding his honestly limited output pretty easy to do if his dumb opinions are a thing one wouldn't want to support. (If you cannot get people to be more better through genuine communication hit em in the wallet. Money has a way of solving problems. Like that Nazi douche who got knocked out? Punching him ain't gonna do poo poo. Costing that dickhead actual money? While not satisfying or illegal if done correctly, it can actually fix assholery.)

So yeah. Fans could help JT not be poo poo if done right. Not supporting him is also a way to do this because if communication doesn't work not giving him money and making his views cost him money might be the only solution.

That or we just get loving rid of Twitter entirely so we can go back to some level of blissful ignorance of creative's opinions that might be lovely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Passengers is such a hosed up movie and man, this doesn't even take some kind of deep look at themes or subtle cues or any of that to realize it, it takes like a hard minute of stopping and thinking about the situation at all.

And the funniest thing? The story could've been easily fixed to tell the one the filmmakers wanted. Just have both characters wake up at the same time and, boom, most of the disturbing factor is gone.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 24, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

And the funniest thing? The story could've been easily fixed to tell the one the filmmakers wanted. Just have both characters wake up at the same time and, boom, most of the disturbing factor is gone.

I wanted a David Lynch thriller where she spaces him as a last ditch effort of survival against a controlling monster but nooo, we can't have nice things.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Captain Rufus posted:

At least in his case he is kind of a sellout so it makes avoiding his honestly limited output pretty easy to do if his dumb opinions are a thing one wouldn't want to support. (If you cannot get people to be more better through genuine communication hit em in the wallet. Money has a way of solving problems. Like that Nazi douche who got knocked out? Punching him ain't gonna do poo poo. Costing that dickhead actual money? While not satisfying or illegal if done correctly, it can actually fix assholery.)

So yeah. Fans could help JT not be poo poo if done right. Not supporting him is also a way to do this because if communication doesn't work not giving him money and making his views cost him money might be the only solution.

That or we just get loving rid of Twitter entirely so we can go back to some level of blissful ignorance of creative's opinions that might be lovely.

This ignores the market of people who super want terrible views and are willing to shell out forever to hear someone take whatever group they hate down a peg or three. (Or at least pretend to.)

Not that I disagree with your general point, but right now the angry manchild demo has already proven it's totally profitable to vomit hate onto the internet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

My own idea to fix it was to have her be an engineer he wakes up to fix the ship.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mokinokaro posted:

That's what I thought it was gonna be from the initial trailers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kuroyama posted:

That's what I thought it was gonna be from the initial trailers.

that was the intent. The creepy, terrible, genuinely hosed up thing was meant to be a big dramatic twist

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The creepy, terrible, genuinely hosed up thing was meant to be a big dramatic twist

The problem is that doesn't actually seem to be the intent or a big twist.

"It’s not afraid to entertain but at the same time it asks big questions about what does it mean to really feel happy. Every generation has its love story. I feel like this is it. I had to do it." - The director

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

The problem is that doesn't actually seem to be the intent or a big twist.

"It’s not afraid to entertain but at the same time it asks big questions about what does it mean to really feel happy. Every generation has its love story. I feel like this is it. I had to do it." - The director

haha wait WHAT

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I just watched a video by Jenny Nicholson and I felt like I went on a train journey sitting next to an autistic 15 year old who needs to tell you all the things that are wrong with an old movie. Point by point. Non-stop. Right in my face. Out of focus. For 10 hours*.

Am I missing something? It's parodic, right?

* time is elastic and subject to personal perspective

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 24, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Eh, the original twist variation seems like it'd wind up being inadvertently more supportive of the dude's choice. The movie we got, at least, front loaded that the dude knew it was wrong, actively resisted doing it, did it at the lowest point he could be, and runs away in regret the minute he does it. Later on we have a third party saying what he did was terribly hosed up, too.

I mean, poo poo, I think even the most ethical, introverted person in the world, being totally isolated for the rest of their lives, would eventually do what the dude did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, the original twist variation seems like it'd wind up being inadvertently more supportive of the dude's choice. The movie we got, at least, front loaded that the dude knew it was wrong, actively resisted doing it, did it at the lowest point he could be, and runs away in regret the minute he does it. Later on we have a third party saying what he did was terribly hosed up, too.

I mean, poo poo, I think even the most ethical, introverted person in the world, being totally isolated for the rest of their lives, would eventually do what the dude did.

finally, someone will stick up for the awful movie Passengers

• Locked thread