Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Aww RIP Arnold Palmer, thank you for popularizing a style of drink that I really shouldn't be drinking but it's way too damned good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So ESPN tweeted about it and put up a cover story an hour ago, in the midst of those tweets. I guess he shamed them into it

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

kith_groupie posted:

Fighting dragons on majestic mountain peaks with only the power of your will and spirit - lame baby town follies.

Fighting a demi-goddess in a volcano land with weird crustaceans- the pinnacle of Western art

I once watched a way too long video about some nerd raging that Skyrim was all dumbed down horseshit because "it's easy to learn to play it" and "has wide appeal" whereas Morrowind was so complex that it wasn't as easily approachable but you could sperg out about your character and as a result it was the far better game. These guys are just mad that video games are more and more mainstream and it's taken away a part of their identity, which is lovely for them because poo poo like Morrowind is a huge part of their identity to begin with. It's a symptom of that "consumer media as personality" disease you see so many internet people have.
There's some pretty hilarious nerd rage around how every Bethesda game made after Morrowind plays better and is less original (The only original thing from Skyrim is the dragon related stuff)

I mean, of the three, the biggest let down was Oblivion for not even trying and being the dullest Ye Olde Fantasye possible, Skyrim just built atop of that dullness until it was a sort of addictive tasteless paste

Have the latest from my dull ~polyamory~ buddeh

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Have the latest from my dull ~polyamory~ buddeh

Did you mean to post something else? I don't think much in this is particularly idiotic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Did you mean to post something else? I don't think much in this is particularly idiotic.
If you haven't been following his saga (and tbh I wouldn't blame you) he's one of those insufferably smug types to whom much of that would apply

but mostly it's the intolerable smugness, which deffo shines through that bingo chart

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Yeah, I feel like it's one of those things that requires a certain amount of context. Like, I have someone on my friend's list who's pretty smug + insufferable, but his individual posts, without context, often look normal.

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!

Puppy Time posted:

It's pretty tumblresque, which therefore makes it idiotic.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

A good bingo card.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What does "dead names you" in the bottom right mean

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
They call you your pre transition name

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

zVxTeflon posted:

If someone changes their name, it's you going, "Ha, remember when you were Joan? :downs:" in front of a bunch of other people.

e:f,b, but at least it didn't break the time/space continuum this time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The grammar is pretty misleading. I couldn't help but read it as something like

OH NO!!! DEAD NAMES YOU!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

piss explosion posted:

:regd16:

i mostly just wanted an excuse to use that emote

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Aww RIP Arnold Palmer, thank you for popularizing a style of drink that I really shouldn't be drinking but it's way too damned good

I'm sorry you had to find out via this thread because he was white

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Deadnaming a trans person is denying their identity and taking the choice to "out" themselves out of their hands. I asked a friend of mine about this a while back, and the analogy used was:

"Your name is [name]? Whatever you say, [name generally associated with different gender]. You, by the way, are a [gender associated with name], and I am going to judge you according to all associated [gender associated with name] stereotypes. Also, gently caress your personal agency. Also, I probably agree with your parents/family/friends/etc who probably disowned you, and everyone who has ever denied you a house/job/etc."

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Wow whoever says that to you definitely isn't your friend.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cash crab posted:

Yeah, I feel like it's one of those things that requires a certain amount of context. Like, I have someone on my friend's list who's pretty smug + insufferable, but his individual posts, without context, often look normal.
This was the last post about him, btw

tbh, if you see the words "polyamorus" you can pretty much go straight to the "annoying motherfucker" end of the spectrum.

piss explosion posted:

Partly this too, I especially like the "do you want a cookie FOR JUST BEING A GOOD HUMAN BEING, LIKE ME" :smuggo:

It's really typical ~idealogical purity over results~ poo poo, but is all the more galling because the dude never even mentioned trans people before he became roommates with a transperson and is trying to get it on with her

BobbyK posted:

Yeah uhh, I thought it was just using the wrong name, not making a huge loving deal about it

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

It's really typical ~idealogical purity over results~ poo poo, but is all the more galling because the dude never even mentioned trans people before he became roommates with a transperson and is trying to get it on with her

Yuck, what a dingus. Yeah, 90% of people who self-identify as polyamorous are usually smug wieners so I can see why that would get pretty exhausting.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The song is pretty cool though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not saying that polyamory can't work, but every polyamorous relationship I've ever witnessed was a shitshow involving at least one awful person who basically bullied a partner into the arrangement. In my not-comprehensive experience it has a 0% success rate over even the short term.

Good luck to em though.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I have a feeling he's less "ideologically pure" and more "radically sycophantic."

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

CommonShore posted:

I'm not saying that polyamory can't work, but every polyamorous relationship I've ever witnessed was a shitshow involving at least one awful person who basically bullied a partner into the arrangement. In my not-comprehensive experience it has a 0% success rate over even the short term.

Good luck to em though.

Polyamory would work if it wasn't for polyamorists being such tools

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I know three dudes in a three-way relationship and they seem to be doing fine :shobon:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cash crab posted:

Yuck, what a dingus. Yeah, 90% of people who self-identify as polyamorous are usually smug wieners so I can see why that would get pretty exhausting.
It's also very irritating because he's done some good feminism but he's been increasingly rapidly turning into the living incarnation of the "tumblr feminist"

And then of course jokes about "White Trash" and listens to Die Antwoord~

And oh man, I forgot how when in the local BDSM association wanted to join the Pride parade and Queer org, man, what shitshow that was

MizPiz posted:

I have a feeling he's less "ideologically pure" and more "radically sycophantic."
Ehh, that's the feeling in the pic, he usually just latches onto something vaguely related to himself and tries to get laid through it

[In Dracula voice]
~but could not the same be said of all social justice?~

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I know three dudes in a three-way relationship and they seem to be doing fine :shobon:

:allears: Cute. Also, I loving love your name.

[In Dracula voice]
~but could not the same be said of all social justice?~

Probably not.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

cash crab posted:

I don't get it. One of my friends from college is poly, but holy poo poo, she's ramped it up to 100 in the last few years. I get that she and her SOs probably get pushback from relatives and some friends, but seeing 50 snarky posts a day annoys me more than anyone's relationship status ever could.

Maybe it's because she's in her early 30s and seeing everyone getting married is bumming her out?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
2-person monogamous relationships can have plenty of bullshit drama, and polyamory just doubles it at minimum.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

hyperhazard posted:

I don't get it. One of my friends from college is poly, but holy poo poo, she's ramped it up to 100 in the last few years. I get that she and her SOs probably get pushback from relatives and some friends, but seeing 50 snarky posts a day annoys me more than anyone's relationship status ever could.

Maybe it's because she's in her early 30s and seeing everyone getting married is bumming her out?

I was in an open relationship for a long time and I never felt compelled to put those sorts of memes/macros on Facebook. I think it stems from some people thinking it's a superior or more evolved relationship style, coupled with a general insecurity about your decision. If you're really happy, you're not going to feel compelled to come up with reasons why just to make other people understand why.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

BobbyK posted:

Yeah uhh, I thought it was just using the wrong name, not making a huge loving deal about it

:shrug:

It makes perfect sense the way it was explained to me, in that deadnaming someone is denying them their identity based on who they don't want to be. It's an invasion of privacy at least, and has the very real chance of ramping upwards to something even worse.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Nnnnggggg

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cash crab posted:

Probably not.
Not according the internet~

There were some more articles I coulda looked up but I should be asleep~

NachtSieger posted:

:shrug:

It makes perfect sense the way it was explained to me, in that deadnaming someone is denying them their identity based on who they don't want to be. It's an invasion of privacy at least, and has the very real chance of ramping upwards to something even worse.
There's this really irritating thread of social justice that equates ignorance with malice, then instead of trying to deal with this, just throws its hands in the air and gets angry at the existence of ignorance

if u look at the first pic I posted, you can find the very thing right there

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

:stare: Please don't tell me you found this on your own newsfeed.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Not according the internet~

There were some more articles I coulda looked up but I should be asleep~
There's this really irritating thread of social justice that equates ignorance with malice, then instead of trying to deal with this, just throws its hands in the air and gets angry at the existence of ignorance

if u look at the first pic I posted, you can find the very thing right there

Since when did you turn into an anti-sjw dirtbag? I seem to recall that being one of the few areas you weren't obnoxious.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Hate. HATE

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If the person is at least trying to get the pronouns right, a little leeway at first wouldn't hurt. Force of habit is a thing.

That said, some of what's on that bingo card can be legit problems, so maybe not as idiotic by itself.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

uh i thought suffering is a buddhist thing but even then uhrrrmmmmmmm

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

So wait, why does somebody saying "Teach me!" make them a "lovely Trans Ally"? Shouldn't people trying to learn more and understand what it's like being trans be a desirable thing?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I Killed GBS posted:

Since when did you turn into an anti-sjw dirtbag? I seem to recall that being one of the few areas you weren't obnoxious.

My money's on them moving in with a new alt-right roommate and trying to get it on with 'em.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Eh! Frank posted:

So wait, why does somebody saying "Teach me!" make them a "lovely Trans Ally"? Shouldn't people trying to learn more and understand what it's like being trans be a desirable thing?

Because there's already a wealth of articles and writings about lived experiences on the internet, and demanding that someone drop everything and explain the ins and outs of identity politics at that very moment is a lovely thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Eh! Frank posted:

It's not my job to teach you. Educate yourself. Blah de blah blah blah.