Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

If I'm reading this table right.. the best pure 'damage buff' you can get is 5% (Cooldown reduction)? Everything else seems way more nebulous.

Also lol a total of 50% fall damage reduction. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

Seriously, between this and Battletech Beta coming out I'm half tempted to just go out in a blaze of glory and get banned...

Why wait?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
PHX 3s untouched. :fap:

What does vectoring do? I want to break the game's netcode and my pilot's neck with masc and jumpjets.

Also lol at some of the nerfs. The SIB is even worse now, and they just super nerfed the Arrow.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Skoll posted:

Why wait?

Beta's still over a month away...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Q_res posted:

Seriously, between this and Battletech Beta coming out I'm half tempted to just go out in a blaze of glory and get banned...

You are doing the lord's work.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

Beta's still over a month away...

Play MWLL then. Or MechCommander. or even MW4. There are options.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
:tinfoil: odd how the new guy goes full price JUST as these changes are announced.

Makes you think.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

Skill tree PTS patch notes are up.

Buying skill points is a huge loving cbill sink. Unlocking a node is 100K (and 1500XP), respeccing one is 125K (25K to remove the skill point and get the XP back, 100K to buy a new node). Each variant has a cap of 91 unlockable skill nodes. Every single mech variant you currently have mastered right now will cost 9.1 million c-bills to re-master under the new system.

You will need to respec skill nodes if you switch weapons between classes. This means LPLs and LLs don't share skills, but LLs and MLs do.

Most of the trees are frontloaded with absolute garbage. If you spec into the more-HP tree, two of your first four choices will be poo poo like "AMS overload" or "Fall damage".

Most of the must-have non-weapon modules from before require you to take 12+ nodes in one of the janky "miscellaneous" trees full of stuff like sensor range and target info gathering.

Every mech has the exact same skill trees. (The % values are different based on weight class and IS/Clan, but there's no difference between a Timber Wolf's and a Summoner's skill trees.) You just can't unlock skills for weapons/equipment that mech can't carry.

You can't unlock a weapon skill for an omnimech unless you have an omnipod CURRENTLY ATTACHED TO IT RIGHT NOW with an appropriate hardpoint.

lmao so the cost of having to buy more variants just got shifted elsewhere.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Cease to Hope posted:

Skill tree PTS patch notes are up.

Buying skill points is a huge loving cbill sink. Unlocking a node is 100K (and 1500XP), respeccing one is 125K (25K to remove the skill point and get the XP back, 100K to buy a new node). Each variant has a cap of 91 unlockable skill nodes. Every single mech variant you currently have mastered right now will cost 9.1 million c-bills to re-master under the new system.

You will need to respec skill nodes if you switch weapons between classes. This means LPLs and LLs don't share skills, but LLs and MLs do.

Most of the trees are frontloaded with absolute garbage. If you spec into the more-HP tree, two of your first four choices will be poo poo like "AMS overload" or "Fall damage".

Most of the must-have non-weapon modules from before require you to take 12+ nodes in one of the janky "miscellaneous" trees full of stuff like sensor range and target info gathering.

Every mech has the exact same skill trees. (The % values are different based on weight class and IS/Clan, but there's no difference between a Timber Wolf's and a Summoner's skill trees.) You just can't unlock skills for weapons/equipment that mech can't carry.

You can't unlock a weapon skill for an omnimech unless you have an omnipod CURRENTLY ATTACHED TO IT RIGHT NOW with an appropriate hardpoint.

another fine innings from paul and the boys. gripping stuff

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

lmao so the cost of having to buy more variants just got shifted elsewhere.

Pretty much doubled since you still have to buy the mech itself.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Also: hey 19, why is PTS only up for like 6 hours total over 2 days on holiday weekends?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

armchairyoda posted:

Also: hey 19, why is PTS only up for like 6 hours total over 2 days on holiday weekends?

presumably because this company of film-school dropouts can't do anything right. dear coordinator's blessings upon you.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

9.1m sucks for light mechs but it's waaaaaaaay cheaper for assaults and most heavies. Remember you no longer need to buy 2 extra variants for your mechs, which means an immediate 4-5m in savings just from not having to buy Endo and DHS. That's before you even get to the chassis, which may have an expensive XL attached to it for IS and definitely will for clans.

For example, it now costs around 30m less to elite a dire wolf after the skill tree purchases.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

EVERY SINGLE MECH VARIANT YOU CURRENTLY OWN WILL COST 9.1 MILLION CBILLS PER VARIANT TO MASTER UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM.

XP is grandfathered, but the cbill cost of unlocking nodes is not. Any weapon or utility modules you currently own will be refunded to help offset this, but anyone who regularly swapped modules or just didn't use them - so, everyone reading this thread most likely - is completely boned.

Speaking of which, mastering a single variant is 136,500 XP, compared to the previous 57,750 XP.

Great Beer posted:

9.1m sucks for light mechs but it's waaaaaaaay cheaper for assaults and most heavies. Remember you no longer need to buy 2 extra variants for your mechs, which means an immediate 4-5m in savings just from not having to buy Endo and DHS. That's before you even get to the chassis, which may have an expensive XL attached to it for IS and definitely will for clans.

For example, it now costs around 30m less to elite a dire wolf after the skill tree purchases.

This is cold comfort for anyone who has a stable of already-purchased, already-mastered mechs, and the "savings" drops dramatically if you use multiple variants of any single mech.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Wait, do you already pay for skills in cbills? HAVE I BEEN DOING IT WRONG WITH XP ALL THIS TIME?!?

Clans are still stupid. In theory and practice... How are all those GOLD robot buyers affected? :allears:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

armchairyoda posted:

Wait, do you already pay for skills in cbills? HAVE I BEEN DOING IT WRONG WITH XP ALL THIS TIME?!?

Clans are still stupid. In theory and practice... How are all those GOLD robot buyers affected? :allears:

He is comparing the cost of buying three Dire Wolfs now to the cost of buying a single Dire Wolf under the new system.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

This is cold comfort for anyone who has a stable of already-purchased, already-mastered mechs, and the "savings" drops dramatically if you use multiple variants of any single mech.

You're also getting a full refund of any existing modules you have, so those of us that fall in that category will be getting a gigantic cash influx. Unless you're using 20+ mechs regularly the 100m+ you get from that will more than cover it.

I like this change. Its not perfect but with a little price tweaking (especially scaling down a bit for smaller mechs) its leaps and bounds better than the old lovely system.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Great Beer posted:

You're also getting a full refund of any existing modules you have, so those of us that fall in that category will be getting a gigantic cash influx. Unless you're using 20+ mechs regularly the 100m+ you get from that will more than cover it.

I like this change. Its not perfect but with a little price tweaking (especially scaling down a bit for smaller mechs) its leaps and bounds better than the old lovely system.

And anyone who hasn't sunk 100m into modules is utterly hosed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

A lot of folks didnt invest in modules because shifting them about is a pain in the rear end, so they're largely not gonna get poo poo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

A lot of folks didnt invest in modules because shifting them about is a pain in the rear end, so they're largely not gonna get poo poo.

I am one of those who has not bought a single module.

The module shuffle thing has always pissed me off more than people building mechs while waiting for a drop.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Oh Snapple! posted:

So then they should have plenty of cbills in the bank :)

Heh, I have almost 100 mil just in radar deprivation mods.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Downloaded the ptr, one of my predictions that I remember making is totally correct. Mechs that boat one kind of weapon get a massive loving benefit over those that do not.

My predictions: The only trees that people will put points into will be defensive for more hp, operations for the heat efficiency, sensors for seismic/radar derp, and lower chassis for speed tweak/all the mobility stuff. Upper body is completely worthless along with the consumable utility tree. There will be zero build diversity away from this template unless the person is dumb or has a really specific gimmick where they need to divert from this.

For IS mechs specifically: Mechs that did not have a duration bonus are getting a HUGE buff from this patch. Cooldowns across the board for everyone are reduced. Range quirk + module ranges are virtually untouched. Mechs that had no SRM bonuses will now be receiving spread and velocity quirks (archer 5w hur hur hur). Mechs that previously could not use LBXs can now get LBX spread quirks, and mechs that previously used LBXs are now probably not worth taking because they get a net gain of nothing.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 9, 2017

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
So will i need to blow cbills to skill up mechs i already own? Will i be getting an injection for my modules plus the masteries I've already achieved?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Willfrey posted:

So will i need to blow cbills to skill up mechs i already own? Will i be getting an injection for my modules plus the masteries I've already achieved?

Yes, yes, and yes, respectively.

You will have to spend c-bills (and XP) to buy skill nodes on whatever mechs you have now.

You will get a full purchase-price refund of any modules you currently own.

You will get a refund of all currently spent XP. Mech XP will be able to be reallocated to any variant of the same chassis. Any GXP spent on unlocking modules will be refunded as GXP.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

So I have like 100 mechs and only 6-7 modules, is this going to be enough to remaster everything???

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Hahahahahahahahaha

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

kingcom posted:

So I have like 100 mechs and only 6-7 modules, is this going to be enough to remaster everything???

haha no, enjoy your billion with a B cbill cost to re-master them

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
PGI design meeting:

:downs: How can we make this good thing worse?

:gary: Lets make it gently caress up their account.

:downs: No that's dumb.

:btroll: What if we made it even more grindy and punished people with large mech collections?

:downs: Good idea!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Eh, as long as im gettin cash. I wonder if i get comped for mechs i mastered and sold...

But yeah a cbill cost to use xp... Why not just fuckin merge cbills and xp.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm loving around on the Test Server right now, and it's getting stupider the more I look at it. They have the trees setup so that you have to waste XP and Cbills on poo poo you don't even want. I'm speccing out my four LBX10 Kodiak and to get Torso Yaw, Pitch and Speed bonuses I want I have to keep dumping poo poo into Arm bonuses I can't even make use of.

gently caress you PGI, goddamn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Modules/Masteries were always stupid horseshit. They were just copying elements from World of Warships by rote without putting any thought into whether or not they made the game better.

Azuth0667 posted:

:btroll: What if we made it even more grindy and punished people with large mech collections?

People with large `Mech collections (like me) probably gave PGI money. We deserve it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Well, if this drops to live unchanged I'm uninstalling. Good job :pgi:
Feel sorry for those of you that preordered the javelin for those colors.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

People with large `Mech collections (like me) probably gave PGI money. We deserve it.

:negative:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KDK3 with UAC jam chance, speed, armor, structure, and heat quirks is just as crazy as I thought it would be.

Anything boating a ton of the same weapon class is scary right now. I saw a Rifleman of all things with 4 AC2s that was ripping face. The 4uac KC is probably viable again. Likewise for 3UAC black widow.

If you keep to one type of weapon you have enough points to get the important stuff and just ignore the rest.

Really, though, the take away from me is that I'm having a blast in these 4v4 PTS matches. Goddamn pgi, give us 4v4 every day of the week.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
WHAT CONCESSIONS WERE MADE FOR GOLD ROBOT BUYERS?

I need to laugh.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Not boating a single weapon type is now a really bad decision, especially since your only available increases to damage output are going to be stacked on one specific weapon type. There is going to be One True Skill Loadout for all mechs, and build diversity is going to plummet because module swapping won't be a thing.

The 4v4 is pretty cool as well, but the queue times on the PTS are terrible. It'd be neat if they did a 1/1/1/1 for weight classes 4v4 thing.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
March 15 cannot get here soon enough. gently caress PGI. gently caress them in their stupid asses.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I miss my MWO buddies but I don't miss the game at all and none o f this is making me want to log in ever again haha.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
http://m.imgur.com/ukDlINx,p1Zen5L,neD014C,UfQVyIC

Look at that build.
Look at Rick Hunter.
Holy poo poo.
:same:

One of those kills was a warham that I stood still in front of as I held him down and face punched him to death... in the Ct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Modules/Masteries were always stupid horseshit. They were just copying elements from World of Warships by rote without putting any thought into whether or not they made the game better.

Nah, you guys are good people :). Without people willing to fund mech games we won't get anymore. We just have to wait it out until terrible developers like :pgi: lose the license so a competent one can take it up.

• Locked thread