Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Alarbus posted:

This comes up when people talk about replacing toilets - it was astoundingly great when we did ours. https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-Liquilock-6-oz-Toilet-Water-Solidifier-Gel-31419/202882917

Neat! I was going to clap back with a link for 99c sponges but even the home depot big rear end sponges are the same or more expensive. I'll have to remember that when I have to deal with someone else's toilet. I've got about 200 nitrile gloves and I'm not too squeamish about our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TheWevel posted:

Burst pipe and general insurance question-

A pipe feeding a hose bib burst in my garage but thanks to all the burst pipes in my area, a plumber can’t get to my house until Monday. Could I just open up my wall and do enough of a repair so I could turn our water back on? Or would insurance get mad that I did my own repair and deny my claim?

We were out of town and drove up to water just pouring through the bottom of the garage door. The adjuster can’t get out until end of next week. Also due to my basement stairs sharing a wall with my garage, the water went down the stairs and got underneath our new carpet and LVP, so I’m guessing all that will need to be redone.

This was all around 7pm tonight so we’re currently at a hotel, and I’ll work on drying everything out tomorrow. :smith:

edit: this same hose bib burst on the PO too

Before you cut open or change anything, take pictures. A far-away establishing shot showing where the bib is, then a closer one showing where you'll be opening the wall/ceiling.

Then, by all means, open it up & seal it off. Every property insurer will tell you to a) take steps to protect your property and b) show the loss.

The only times I've denied claims were for folks who completely obliterated the site so that there was absolutely no evidence of a loss (i.e. completely gutting a finished basement to the masonry) and I had absolutely zero information to go on - but if the loss was documented (by photos / video) before the demolition was done, I'd have at least a fighting chance of verifying the facts of the loss to know if it was covered, and to be able to write it.

Be sure to take photos of the freeze-burst pipe to prove that it was a freeze because damage by freezing is one of the few natural events that insurance covers the plumbing repair as well as the ensuing water damage. The access (opening the wall) is covered in any case.

They'll reimburse you for your hotel stay. Send them a copy of the paid invoice. If you had to eat out, they'll reimburse that as well.

Ask your adjuster if they have anyone that they can send out to perform water mitigation. If the carrier sends them, the carrier will pay them directly. If they don't offer that referral service, call Servpro or Servicemaster or someone local, give them all of your insurance claim info. They'll probably have you sign a Direction to Pay, that permits the carrier to pay them directly.

Hopefully you can get a mitigation vendor out. They may all be running beyond capacity now. We're looking at that in North Jersey and eastern NY at the moment. Western NY is a poo poo-show.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 29, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

4) I dunno, slosh the tank and spill water on the floor or something. Tip: Flush after you turn the water off to clear most of the water out of the tank and avoid this. It also makes the toilet lighter.

Late, but yes yes this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-Liquilock-6-oz-Toilet-Water-Solidifier-Gel-31419/202882917

If you turn off the water, flush, then use a single package it will dissolve when you put the toilet back on and flush again. If you use two packages for just the bowl it might not.

Tunicate posted:

it says for houses without duct work, is there one you'd recommend to hook into ducts?

The 800. The 850 is an 800 with a duct kit.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

PainterofCrap posted:

Hopefully you can get a mitigation vendor out. They may all be running beyond capacity now. We're looking at that in North Jersey and eastern NY at the moment. Western NY is a poo poo-show.

Thanks for all the advice! Through some miracle the plumber is coming today, and I have a restoration company coming out as well.

So I opened the wall conveniently through the PO drywall patch and sure enough, the pipe blew off the fitting. Also I discovered there’s no insulation…it’s an attached garage and my wife’s bathroom is right above it. That probably explains the giant temperature swings in there throughout the year. :rolleyes:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Didn’t know that poo poo was safe to flush. I’ve used it in toilets that are going in a dumpster.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheWevel posted:

Thanks for all the advice! Through some miracle the plumber is coming today, and I have a restoration company coming out as well.

So I opened the wall conveniently through the PO drywall patch and sure enough, the pipe blew off the fitting. Also I discovered there’s no insulation…it’s an attached garage and my wife’s bathroom is right above it. That probably explains the giant temperature swings in there throughout the year. :rolleyes:

With a bonus bonding/grounding clamp. That's quite a whole thing you've got going on sealed behind sheetrock that in no way should be sealed behind sheetrock. Consider putting an access panel there maybe?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Didn’t know that poo poo was safe to flush. I’ve used it in toilets that are going in a dumpster.

I don't think I'd make a habit of it, but I've flushed it into my own septic before. Seems totally okay.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Cyrano4747 posted:

My own naivety is showing, but they advertised it as non-toxic and safe to flush and i just took their word for it.

How could you not trust a name like Oatey? Sounds like a friendly horse.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jenkl posted:

My own naivety is showing, but they advertised it as non-toxic and safe to flush and i just took their word for it.

How could you not trust a name like Oatey? Sounds like a friendly horse.

It's sodium polyacrylate. Whatever that is. You can basically advertise anything as non-toxic until there is a huge amount of evidence it IS toxic.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So 2023 will be the year of appliances, already planning on a Bosch 500 dishwasher. BUT! What are goon recommended dryers? Ours is a piece of poo poo :mad:

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
I've had good experiences with LG washers and dryers, and reviews seem to support the brand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Magicaljesus posted:

I've had good experiences with LG washers and dryers, and reviews seem to support the brand.

Same. And repair parts availability is good. Although some of the aftermarket parts (like the dryer tub bearings I got a couple year ago) are astonishingly bad, like all 3rd party parts can be I suppose.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TheWevel posted:

Ooof. At least that looks like a quick repair for your plumber. I assume you don't live in a hard freeze often area, but I would ask for a ball valve in the wall (or better yet the ceiling or somewhere within the building envelope) and access panel and you can drain it annually. I'd also stuff that cavity with insulation too.

Now I don't expect even attached garages to be Insulated, however I hope there's good insulation in the floor of the bathroom.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

For all you toilet changers, a shop vac also works great for getting water out of a toilet before you move it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just use a big sponge

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

What about brand for ovens and stovetops? Are there preferred ones to get or avoid?

Also our current one uses gas. I know people have strong preferences, but objectively speaking induction is the way to go and then I just need to get comfortable with it, right?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

PainterofCrap posted:

That was my first question.

If you're smelling raw sewage after plunging the toilet, it's either the closet flange seal (wax ring) or you have a vent pipe that popped off

If you are bound & determined to have a look under the floor, note that you already have an open edge along the right/toilet side of that archway. The only cuts you need to do are a parallel cut along the left side - find the line of nails & cut straight on them. I'd consider sticking a butterknife or similar down the gap there and verify that you have 3/4" thick subfloor, or something thinner, before you set your saw depth.

Then cut across.

The hole won't be very big, and it is unlikely that you will be able to see much of anything as you will have to get your head not only down the hole, but far enough down to see past the 2x8 framing, and even then you'll be looking for drips off of pipe because you can't see the toilet closet flange at your angle of approach.

About the only way you'll see anything is by sticking a cellphone/video recorder down there and doing what I refer to as a 'pray & spray' panning shot.

It's probably the toilet seal.

Ever since the plunging incident, the bathroom has an odd smell to it. I've had a plumber come out and replace the wax seal, and the smell hasn't gone away. In addition, there's evidence of water around the sewer pipe where it leaves the confined crawl space (wood stains indicate such). That being said, I haven't seen the wood actually wet, just evidence that it has been wet before, so maybe this is a red herring from some previous issue the PO had (it's a 40 year old house after all).

I'm gonna pull the toilet and just see what I see. You raise a good point about having to see past the floor joists if I poke my head through the subfloor. I'm basically just hoping I learn something by doing so, but you've all convinced me that focusing on the toilet first is the better approach.

You mention maybe a vent pipe popped off. That hadn't occurred to me. Is there any way to determine if the vent pipe is broken/loose somewhere without just physically getting eyes on the plumbing connections?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

hattersmad posted:

Ever since the plunging incident, the bathroom has an odd smell to it.

You mention maybe a vent pipe popped off. That hadn't occurred to me. Is there any way to determine if the vent pipe is broken/loose somewhere without just physically getting eyes on the plumbing connections?

Yeah the room will smell like sewer gas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A real deal plumber would likely start with a camera and find it that way. If not throw a balloon in your cleanout to stop all water flow to the sewer and then fill up the vent stack with a hose until they confirm/find a leak.

Edit: Just to make entirely sure: you don't have any sinks or a tub you don't use in that room, do you? Floor drain maybe? Because I walked into my bathroom last week and it smelled like sewer gas. The repair for this consisted of running water in the tub for 5 seconds to fill the trap back up. That tub gets used maybe twice a year. The trap has dried out several times.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 29, 2022

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our upstairs bathroom smelled like sewer gas after the cold front. The smell stopped after running the bath and sink taps for a minute. It also helped that the AC kicked back on because the condensate line is attached to the sink drain and lol it’s 75 degrees again.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Douche4Sale posted:

What about brand for ovens and stovetops? Are there preferred ones to get or avoid?

Also our current one uses gas. I know people have strong preferences, but objectively speaking induction is the way to go and then I just need to get comfortable with it, right?

I just got an LG induction range and it's fantastic. I am still in the "just got it" part of my enthusiasm obviously. I came from a radiant cooktop and this is much better. In order I like: the response when changing settings, how quick it heats, and the safety factor. No pan, no heat. On the response side, each setting on the dial has a different effect. That wasn't the case on my radiant, it took so long to change a 6 was no different than a 7 once it was hot. Now I go from 9 to 8, the bubbling stops breifly, and it starts up again in 2 seconds at a lighter bubble. Just incredible to me.

Also it seems to me that most induction is like, semi luxury so the lowest priced ones have a lot of nice features. This one is convection which I didn't have and I like it. Also I use the proof setting which is also new to me, I used to heat up water and set my dough in the microwave with 4 cups of hot water to warm it up.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Douche4Sale posted:

I used to be strongly for gas until I realized the negative environmental aspects - both inside and outside.

We have a regular glass top non-induction that came with the house and it's only a few years old so we're just dealing with it. It's Whirlpool, which I would avoid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I used to be strongly for gas until I realized the negative environmental aspects - both inside and outside.

It's amazing how quickly this narrative has taken over.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Where did that come from, anyway?
-
Because of you degenerates, I decided not to wait for the '82 Kitchenaid to fail, and ordered a Bosch 800.

Never use the wifi, but my wife is eagerly anticipating the day when she no longer has to wash the dishes twice.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

PainterofCrap posted:

I think outside of CO nobody really thought about indoor air quality at all before the pandemic. Once people started looking more closely I think it became more obvious.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Corla Plankun posted:

I think outside of CO nobody really thought about indoor air quality at all before the pandemic. Once people started looking more closely I think it became more obvious.

Colorado is very healthy overall but I'm not sure.....

Oh.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

-
Because of you degenerates, I decided not to wait for the '82 Kitchenaid to fail, and ordered a Bosch 800.

Never use the wifi, but my wife is eagerly anticipating the day when she no longer has to wash the dishes twice.

Was this a way to grease the skids for the purchase of a Citroën??

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

I've been binging the US Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board YouTube channel and it just further puts in perspective how little anyone's individual carbon footprint actually matters when every video ends with some corporation spilling millions of gallons of something into the air, water, and/or ground and getting off with "suggested recommendations for improvement" from the government.

"I'm doing my part!" I say as every major corporation destroys our planet and blames global warming on my stove.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Best stat I found when reading about natural gas hazards was that 60% of surveyed homeowners refuse to use their hood when they cook

The top reason was "I find the noise unpleasant"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Best stat I found when reading about natural gas hazards was that 60% of surveyed homeowners refuse to use their hood when they cook

The top reason was "I find the noise unpleasant"

Seriously? The gas stink is something fierce if you don't, at least on mine. Also, I like the noise because I can pretend, for a brief moment, that I can't hear my toddler going "DADDY! DADDY COME DANCE WITH ME" while I'm trying to cook. :haw:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

Seriously? The gas stink is something fierce if you don't, at least on mine. Also, I like the noise because I can pretend, for a brief moment, that I can't hear my toddler going "DADDY! DADDY COME DANCE WITH ME" while I'm trying to cook. :haw:

THE CATS INTHE CRADEL AND THE SILVER SPOON…

I feel you though. You can’t be giving them high quality attention every second of every day. You have to prepare food and eat and sleep sometimes

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SpartanIvy posted:

I've been binging the US Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board YouTube channel and it just further puts in perspective how little anyone's individual carbon footprint actually matters when every video ends with some corporation spilling millions of gallons of something into the air, water, and/or ground and getting off with "suggested recommendations for improvement" from the government.

"I'm doing my part!" I say as every major corporation destroys our planet and blames global warming on my stove.

YUUUUP.

Don't get me wrong, I try to do my part. I think a lot about the amount of waste I create in particular, and do what I can to repair and reuse crap. Plus, I'm cheap, so that works nicely. Individual poo poo in aggrigate can make some kind of a difference.

. . . it's just that the marginal improvement we're collectively making is dwarfed by poo poo like companies deferring maintenance on their pipelines and letting poo poo leak because it's cheaper than fixing it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

THE CATS INTHE CRADEL AND THE SILVER SPOON…

I feel you though. You can’t be giving them high quality attention every second of every day. You have to prepare food and eat and sleep sometimes

Yeah, I was gonna say. I WFH most days and I'm on vacation this week on top of that, so she gets so much danged daddy time on top of her SAHM time too. She's just at that age where she can't quite entertain herself sufficiently, but definitely wants to play all the time and therefore wants constant attention/adoration/etc. Typical older-2/younger-3 in that regard. :)

It's delightful, but holy crap she has infinite energy. I get why some people have kids when they're younger; chasing a toddler at 40 is tough.

Also, gently caress that song. In the last verse, he can't hang out with his dad because his kid's got the flu and he is presumably going to take care of his kid. He's grown up to be nothing like his father. :argh:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

Was this a way to grease the skids for the purchase of a Citroën??

I got really weird 'hidden - oh poo poo" rust vibes from it. Plus I was serious about it needing to be keep indoors regardless. I just don't have the room.

I had to put the Pontiac in storage to work on the Econoline, and by the time I get the bodywork done & it all painted up, it'll be about time to start on rebuilding the front suspension on the Pontiac (which has been making some ominous noises) & once that's done & I catch my breath, the 250 in the Econoline will probably go tits-up.

One and a half hobby cars is enough. Probably some day, if I'm able to hold onto what I inherited from my mom.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sundae posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say. I WFH most days and I'm on vacation this week on top of that, so she gets so much danged daddy time on top of her SAHM time too. She's just at that age where she can't quite entertain herself sufficiently, but definitely wants to play all the time and therefore wants constant attention/adoration/etc. Typical older-2/younger-3 in that regard. :)

It's delightful, but holy crap she has infinite energy. I get why some people have kids when they're younger; chasing a toddler at 40 is tough.

Also, gently caress that song. In the last verse, he can't hang out with his dad because his kid's got the flu and he is presumably going to take care of his kid. He's grown up to be nothing like his father. :argh:

As the father of an 8 year old and a 13 year old I can tell you that they will want different types of attention as time goes on but they will still be little attention sponges wanting as much as you can give. Like, it is important to my 13 YO daughter that I go to every softball practice and every game. She won’t say it, but it is obvious that she is down if she thinks I am just dropping her off and if I then tell her I’m watching practice she lights up. My son still climbs me like a goddamn tree.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

Yes to all of this. Mine decided to be heavy Mommy-dependent this week so she casually crushes my spirits by running away from our play date to go find Mommy who is hiding in the bathroom because sometimes you need five minutes alone holy crap

I run the vent hood more because of this thread. It’s necessary but overstimulating at times.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

therobit posted:

I am giving them high quality independent imaginative play time.

Sundae posted:

:negative: my 3 year old is basically the embodiment of kinetic energy. Coupled with a bad back and going to the park can be really sad as he just wants me to pick him up so he can do <insert danger here> on the big kid play ground. Don't get old kids. It sucks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Don't get old kids.

What's wrong with adoption? :downsrim:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

What's wrong with adoption? :downsrim:

Fuckin got me. My younger kid is actually adopted.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

I am giving them high quality independent imaginative play time.

:negative: my 3 year old is basically the embodiment of kinetic energy. Coupled with a bad back and going to the park can be really sad as he just wants me to pick him up so he can do <insert danger here> on the big kid play ground. Don't get old kids. It sucks.

You’re lucky they need help getting up. My oldest was climbing stuff before she could walk. At between three and four I had to institute a rule that she could climb what she wanted but that I wouldn’t be helping her down (unless it was actually dangerous). I probably allowed her to climb stuff other parents wouldn’t have but that rule really helped because pretty soon she learned not to go too high or too precarious. And there wasn’t much allow about it truth be told; she was fast and could not be deterred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

therobit posted:

You’re lucky they need help getting up. My oldest was climbing stuff before she could walk. At between three and four I had to institute a rule that she could climb what she wanted but that I wouldn’t be helping her down (unless it was actually dangerous). I probably allowed her to climb stuff other parents wouldn’t have but that rule really helped because pretty soon she learned not to go too high or too precarious. And there wasn’t much allow about it truth be told; she was fast and could not be deterred.

This is stuff he literally cannot reach. My kid sounds like yours - pure adrenaline junkie. He will ride the zip line but cannot reach it. The other day he climbed and jumped off some taller-than-his-older-brother rock. Excellent rock climbing form. Then lept from it. He is the one other parents gasp and leap to save while we just watch and chuckle. At the parents.

We aim for urgent care not emergency room. So far, so good.