Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The Division is at this point a legit better game than Destiny, I said to a stupefied 2016 me.

if only they'd fix the 45 min wait time on Survival...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

the good fax machine posted:

If you look at the loot tables, especially hard mode drops, for every raid from vault until now, you'll notice that it's a consistent decline in quality. This is not counting age of trump, which did have some fully sick gear, but a lot of people were burnt out at that point. Vault of glass hard mode drops had elemental primaries which included Fatebringer and VoC, which were without question the best legendaries in the game and also gave you a really good reason to run the raid every week. Crota also had elemental primaries, but they were a bit underwhelming compared to vault weapons, and also had some really OP stuff like Black Hammer. Kings Fall was where they really stopped giving OP weapons, and killed elemental primaries. A lot of the guns were decent to good, but the hard mode drops were only different in color. Wrath weapons also had some neat perk synergy, but once again, reskinned weapons for hard mode. I also forgot that some of the earlier raids had some armor pieces like helmets locked behind hard mode drops, and then stuff like shaders or ships could be hard mode drops too. Now, it's just reskinned armor.

Yeah weapons getting blander and blander is an issue, but im of the opinion that the VoG/Crota era stuff was actually too good, mostly because I thought elemental primaries were not good design (they still aren't lmao, D2's loadouts suck). When they were released as kinetic legendaries in AoT they were fine.

For Oryx the weapons were half amazing and half total poo poo, but cocoon was fully sick. Plus you still had the higher light thing going for them at the time, so they were "adequate" on the whole but a slight overcorrection. Touch of Malice was inspired.

WoTM had certain guns HM exclusive iirc, right? Weren't the pulse and HC only from HM? Plus you're dang right that they had great perks. And the raid gauntlets were the greatest thing of all time. I thought WoTM nailed exactly what raid stuff should be: situationally OP in PvE but not dominant in PvE, and with cool fun perk combos you can't get anywhere else, but wouldn't be a deal breaker if you couldn't use them.

The current raid guns are good, but good in the sense that they outclass some pretty drab and boring stuff. The armor is worthless, and the prestige mode is a joke. With the exception of a few exotics, the loot in D2 is just boring as poo poo.

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 23, 2017

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

After about 3.5 hours we got our little group past bathers tonight on the prestige mode. That poo poo is hard. I'm hoping Calus is easier.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was playing with some people who wanted to do it blind. Two hours in I was looking up how to get past poo poo and being like "what if we did..." because sweet mother of pussy being stuck on the baths all night was basically a circle of hell for the damnedly nerdy.

Oh you must have been in the group I was in.
"How about we figure out what we're supposed to do?"
"NO THAT RUINS THE POINT OF THIS BEING A BLIND RAID HOW DARE YOU"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I keep landing in strikes where I'm killing more than the GROUPED other two people combined.

What the holy gently caress.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Log posted:

I keep landing in strikes where I'm killing more than the GROUPED other two people combined.

Sounds like most of my Strike results. Makes me wish all the more that Bungie would implement some loving PvE leaderboards into the game.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Sounds like most of my Strike results. Makes me wish all the more that Bungie would implement some loving PvE leaderboards into the game.

Most players are awful, news at 11.

No but really, most players are awful. I'm laughing at all of the times I tried guided games.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I'd be doing more strikes if it wasn't for the fact that you get 3 loving tokens out of it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I'd be doing more strikes if it wasn't for the fact that you get 3 loving tokens out of it.

I'd be doing more crucible if it wasn't for the fact that you get 1 loving token out of it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Very fun gun to dgaf with in pve, especially when you can just crank out a full cylinder at an enemy. I'd maybe gently caress with grenade launchers more in pvp but Acrius is too perfect for my playstyle to give up without a nerf or something.

Re: running strikes, I throw a movie or something on and mindlessly grind them. No effort and two other people are earning exp for me.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why not do that same thing with public events? not like you’re chasing a god roll vanguard drop lmbo

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

WoTM had certain guns HM exclusive iirc, right? Weren't the pulse and HC only from HM? Plus you're dang right that they had great perks. And the raid gauntlets were the greatest thing of all time. I thought WoTM nailed exactly what raid stuff should be: situationally OP in PvE but not dominant in PvE, and with cool fun perk combos you can't get anywhere else, but wouldn't be a deal breaker if you couldn't use them.

You're right, the HC, pulse, sniper, sidearm and the machine gun were all hard drops. No armor, but the machine gun was certainly top-tier. Vault and Crota weapons were definitely op, but I'd rather be closer to that than where we are now. They overcorrected for Oryx (with regard to there only being different colored gear for hard mode) , struck a decent balance with WOTM, and then we get several steps back again.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/922238844577173510

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
iirc, hm wotm did drop armor, but the only difference was that it could take the challenge mode ornaments.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If people keep bitching I'm going to make someone run me through HM WotM.

Seriously though, the game has problems. But I still love it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
For a game that has more stuff to do out of the gate then D1, you really quickly realize that almost none of it matters. Like there is almost no reason to do Strikes, PvP, or challenges unless you have the "powerful gear" milestones up, in terms of progression.

I would also love a feature that we could click on that gives us only the type of guns we like (like 75% of my gun drops are Pulse rifles and Snipers)

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Anora posted:

For a game that has more stuff to do out of the gate then D1, you really quickly realize that almost none of it matters. Like there is almost no reason to do Strikes, PvP, or challenges unless you have the "powerful gear" milestones up, in terms of progression.

I would also love a feature that we could click on that gives us only the type of guns we like (like 75% of my gun drops are Pulse rifles and Snipers)

Yeah that's the issue.

Also you can get all the guns in a couple of weeks, most of them are bad. Exotics are lame. The armor is only different in looks. Tokens for everything. Light level means nothing. Prestige mode anything or flawless trials grant nothing beyond what tokens give you.

Bungie. Where's the drat flavour.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This night I have dreamed that Bungie had a Pet Store and somebody was trying to return a dead parrot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

Optical Inch
Oct 26, 2002

Soiled Meat
Watched my son level up a Titan (LL 170) using some random, green AR and doing 10 more damage per crit on a walker than my 295 Warlock using Uriels. Cool shooting game, but needs a lot more friendship to hide the fact that the loot is loving useless.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Anora posted:

You could just like, play because you think it’s fun

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Tei posted:

This night I have dreamed that Bungie had a Pet Store and somebody was trying to return a dead parrot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

Mr Praline: "I wish to complain about this game what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very electronics boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, Destiny 2...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. It's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

FishBulb posted:

You could just like, play because you think it’s fun

And then you can stop when it gets boring playing the same poo poo over and over again

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Matchmaking raids will fix this game, don’t worry

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Honestly I STILL haven't done more than a third of the raid. I'll probably try to this week,but I still have that, exotic quests, prestige nightfall, adventures, etc. to do.

For me though it's because any of those is an hour and a half at most and the raid isn't (unless you know what you're doing), but I almost feel like the clan engrams were a misstep. I haven't gotten any armor but I have the rocket launcher, scout rifle, and six billion auto rifles, and all you get from each step of the raid is tokens mostly. I want to do the raid for fun but there's no actual point now, like getting sick robot hats in the Vault.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I hope they come up with a better progression system than milestones at some point.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Honestly I STILL haven't done more than a third of the raid. I'll probably try to this week,but I still have that, exotic quests, prestige nightfall, adventures, etc. to do.

For me though it's because any of those is an hour and a half at most and the raid isn't (unless you know what you're doing), but I almost feel like the clan engrams were a misstep. I haven't gotten any armor but I have the rocket launcher, scout rifle, and six billion auto rifles, and all you get from each step of the raid is tokens mostly. I want to do the raid for fun but there's no actual point now, like getting sick robot hats in the Vault.

The Raid HAS TO DROP more loving gear. I did gauntlet, baths, and dogs for the first time and got a big fat zero non-token loot.

Tokens can't even be used until you beat Callus AFAIK.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

And then you can stop when it gets boring playing the same poo poo over and over again

Yes I mean why wouldn’t you

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Idea:

"hardcore mode pvp"

- Before you can enter, you must define your loadout. Gear locked inside.
- Everyone have the same light.
- Ladders
- Seasons
- Rewards for being top 10% and top 20% or top 40% on your ladder at the end of weeks

"softcore mode pvp"

- You can change your loadout
- Light advantages enabled
- Super recharge faster
- Grenades recharge faster
- No ladders

Still two pvp buttons, but the hardcore get what they want, and the softcore gets what they want.

XMAX PvP event:

light orbs fall from the sky slowly like snow

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I’ve cleared the raid 6 or 7 times now with a few more partial clears on coaching newer or drunker clan members through, and I still haven’t gotten the loving RL. I’ve gotten around 5 duplicate warlock chests, though!

(Not that it matters too much on NM as damage isn’t an issue at all in it)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They think they can entice me to keep replaying the same poo poo for what... New armor prices? Some pointless Checklist of activities? I'll pop in for each new season, but only getting one balance patch is going to be interesting, and we'll definitely end up with things like "This is the lightning wizard season".

(Crosspost from Diablo 3 thread)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What was wrong with bosses have loot tables AND coins where you could actually buy the poo poo you wanted? Boss and raid loot isn't some new thing.

I'm not sure why they thought everything in the game should be gambling.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

What was wrong with bosses have loot tables AND coins where you could actually buy the poo poo you wanted? Boss and raid loot isn't some new thing.

Gacha loot for tokens is the worst idea in an RPG ever.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Norns posted:

What was wrong with bosses have loot tables AND coins where you could actually buy the poo poo you wanted?

Maybe they think they don't have enough content for that. That people will have full gear too faster and say "theres nothing to do".

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Also milestones are a garbage way to slow down progression.

Not that getting to 290+ is hard. But one of my characters is just stuck at 304 cuz the loving milestone won't drop a helmet for me. It's been 3 weeks

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Norns posted:

You CAN get gear from the raid encounters, it’s just much rarer. It is dumb, though, and it’s dumb that each encounter doesn’t have a unique table, especially given the encounter rotation mechanic.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I get tokens for official Tower/Crucible/IB/faction events and such but I'm not sure why I'm finding them in chests all over the universe instead of "Dusklight Cache" or whatever.

I just imagine Devrim had a whole supply of tasty chocolate medallions, but those wascally Fallen stole them all and hid them! Help Devrim get his candy back for a fun surprise! Your 40th identical Lincoln Green

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Emron posted:

You CAN get gear from the raid encounters, it’s just much rarer. It is dumb, though, and it’s dumb that each encounter doesn’t have a unique table, especially given the encounter rotation mechanic.

Bosses and encounters should have set drops with random raid loot peppered into each bosses set loot table. Then coins for poor guy who's been doing it 3 times a week for a month for his raid launcher.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Norns posted:

Also milestones are a garbage way to slow down progression.

Not that getting to 290+ is hard. But one of my characters is just stuck at 304 cuz the loving milestone won't drop a helmet for me. It's been 3 weeks
When I finally got 305 boots, which was the only thing holding me back, I deliberately put on the lowest power boots I had and put everything else in the vault (keeping every other piece at 305.)

Coincidence?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Akuma posted:

When I finally got 305 boots, which was the only thing holding me back, I deliberately put on the lowest power boots I had and put everything else in the vault (keeping every other piece at 305.)

Coincidence?

gently caress I'll try anything at this pont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That 1 point of light is gonna change your life man.