Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Serfer posted:

I see my "devils advocate" friends (aka, parrot GOP talking points) saying that Comey perjured himself. They're saying he said he released the memo in response to a Trumptweet, but the tweet didn't come until days later.

I have no idea what they're referring to.

They're repeating trumps lawyer who had the dates wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Serfer posted:

I see my "devils advocate" friends (aka, parrot GOP talking points) saying that Comey perjured himself. They're saying he said he released the memo in response to a Trumptweet, but the tweet didn't come until days later.

That's OK, they probably don't either .

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Serfer posted:

Probably this:
https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/872880038202486792

His lawyer thought he had a bombshell, but got it wrong.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

NLJP posted:

:stare:

You have got to be kidding me

Let them eat taco bowls.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Holy poo poo the transcript of McCain today

MCCAIN: "So she was clearly involved in this whole situation where fake news, as you just described it, is a big deal took place. You're going to have to help me out here. In other words, we're complete, the investigation of anything former Secretary Clinton had to do with the campaign is over and we don't have to worry about it anymore?"
COMEY: " With respect to -- I'm a little confused."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You know, thinking on it, there's also a non-zero chance that Trump tries to delete the tweet Comey referred to. He is that stupid.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Serfer posted:

It's pages back, but somebody on twitter said he lied about the timeline, as NYT published a story prior to when the tweet was made, but a NYT reporter contradicted it. Specifically I think the date was 5/14 and the first article NYT wrote about it was 5/16.

e: damnit :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Serfer posted:

Comey said he had his memos leaked in response to Trump threatening him over Twitter with tapes, while Trump's lawyer said that the NYT was quoting those memos before the tweet in question.

Trump's lawyer, surprising nobody, is lying.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Serfer posted:

yea they don't either

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

theflyingorc posted:

Your friend is wrong, Trump's lawyer was completely incorrect, the New York Times has clarified with verifiable information.

Have a link? There's nothing buy Comey stories on the front page and I don't see one referencing this.

Edit: nevermind, it was cleared up in the mean time

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yes. For evidence,

Holy poo poo they're still pushing this?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/GOPSenFinance/status/872906043264782337

don't think they thought this all the way through

Apparently that's what they think too. What was this?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Office Pig posted:

Well it's one of the most violently stupid and antisocial policies imaginable, so I very much believe they will push for it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Skex posted:

I think that it actually has more power as an analogy because it's a way to relate the experience of women dealing with sexual harassment and victim blaming to people who view themselves as powerful. If someone as powerful as the 6' 8" director of the FBI can be subjected to victim blaming what protection do women have when dealing with men who are both financially and physically able to cause them harm.

I think that it also points to the fact that victim blaming is a Republican go to. That they by nature consider abuse of power as being appropriate.

Sure, I don't disagree, it's a fair point to make. I just think it probably could have been made a little less awkwardly. I don't really see Comey as a "victim" here, so much as a casualty in a really ham-handed trainwreck of power politics. The dude knew his job was at risk if he kept doing the right thing, and he knowingly stepped on the gas anyway. I guess my point is, it feels like it diminishes the imbalance in power dynamics when it comes to women being sexually harassed in the workplace. But I freely admit it's possible that I'm seriously overthinking this.:)

The headline probably doesn't help: "Women Say to Comey: Welcome to Our World." That seems a little facile to me. I know the authors of these pieces don't always pick their headlines, so if that's the case here, I redirect my aspersions towards the managing editor or whoever it is.

Jaxyon posted:

I'm guessing you're a dude because I shared that article on my FB and it's already been reshared several times by women who are like "this is spot on"

that's not proof of anything but i guess I'm saying maybe examine your biases

The hottest of takes.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 8, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Stickman posted:

"Obamacare has put $1 trillion into american's pocketbooks"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

The hottest of takes.

So, yeah

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

"Obamacare has put $1 trillion into american's pocketbooks"

Whoops, told the truth! Better delete that poo poo!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Meanwhile, among the more competently evil: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/08/abortion-restrictions-senate-republican-obamacare-repeal-239306

I missed this Politico story among all the Comey and hentai stuff earlier - the Senate GOP's worried that they can't restrict abortion in the AHCA redo like they'd need to satisfy the crazies. Anyone aware of someone who actually understands reconciliation weighing in on this?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

No, it was actually asked a ton during Watergate and that is when the current precedent comes from

Yeah except for where the US v. Nixon Court explicitly said that deciding the issue wasn't necessary.

I mean the President probably does have immunity from indictment while in office, but it's not precedent.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

evilweasel posted:

"Obamacare has put $1 trillion into americans' pocketbooks"

FTFY

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eviltastic posted:

Meanwhile, among the more competently evil: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/08/abortion-restrictions-senate-republican-obamacare-repeal-239306

I missed this Politico story among all the Comey and hentai stuff earlier - the Senate GOP's worried that they can't restrict abortion in the AHCA redo like they'd need to satisfy the crazies. Anyone aware of someone who actually understands reconciliation weighing in on this?

This is one of those "you can only have things that have an impact on the budget" issues. It's not clear a rule that subsidies can only be spent on insurance plans that do not include abortion can pass that test.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

But I freely admit it's possible that I'm seriously overthinking this.:)

You're just a misogynist that doesn't realize it yet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

So, yeah

What point, exactly, are you trying to make here?

Unormal posted:

You're just a misogynist that doesn't realize it yet.

Yeah, I know.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Office Pig posted:

Those temporarily embarrassed bible-belt millionaires need to make sure those drat [EPITHET DELETED] aren't using food stamps for lobster and hennessey.
Right?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I can see the parallels in the victim blaming of Comey and that of sexual harassment victims in the workplace so I think the topic of that NYT opinion piece is relevant and appropriate, but I think the tone the writer took is very confrontational and will possibly do more harm than good.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Stickman posted:

Screenshotted for posterity:

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/872915250118627328

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

disjoe posted:

Yeah except for where the US v. Nixon Court explicitly said that deciding the issue wasn't necessary.

I mean the President probably does have immunity from indictment while in office, but it's not precedent.

It's defacto irrelevant due to the pardon power. Whether indictable or not he can instantly pardon himself.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Majorian posted:

You sounded like you were mansplaining, dude.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

That it's a decent article and you're making GBS threads on it for little discernable reason?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

seiferguy posted:

You sounded like you were mansplaining, dude.

I didn't know the gender of the person I was talking to.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

eviltastic posted:

Probably this:
https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/872880038202486792

His lawyer thought he had a bombshell, but got it wrong.

by the way, the right is countering that there's an article from the 11th that includes information from the memos.

But NYT's source isn't the memos. It's Comey flat out telling them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's defacto irrelevant due to the pardon power. Whether indictable or not he can instantly pardon himself.

There's also legal arguments the pardon power does not extend to self-pardons.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

I didn't know the gender of the person I was talking to.

mansplaining has to do with the gender of the person doing it not the audience :eng101:

edit: At least, moreso

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

That it's a decent article and you're making GBS threads on it for little discernable reason?

Okay, well, I disagree, although I agree with the overall point it's making. I'll leave it there.

Jaxyon posted:

mansplaining has to do with the gender of the person doing it not the audience :eng101:

edit: At least, moreso

Yeah, well, I'm sorry if I came off as condescending. I just find it a really problematic comparison.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Trump needs to just not create joinder with the courts, they're all admiralty anyway

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

eviltastic posted:

Few people on the planet understand everything about reconciliation, its one of the most absurdly complicated processes in the legislative branch.

A few of us roughly know how it works, but for the most part on a question like this without an obvious answer, we shrug and wait for the senate parliamentarian to rule.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

There's also legal arguments the pardon power does not extend to self-pardons.

From what I've read of those they seemed incredibly tenuous to me, little more than "but if the law allows that, then that would be bad!" In more words. The pardon power is like sovereign immunity: it's not about making sense, it's about the fact that monarchism was a current political theory in the 1700s and some of the framers agreed with it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
For those confused, the basic timeline on Comey memo reporting goes like this.

5/11: NYT story saying according two two of Comey's friends he had dinner with Trump and trump asked for his loyalty.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/us/politics/trump-comey-firing.html

5/12: Trump "not a threat, not a threat, you're a threat" threatens Comey by saying he'd better hope tapes don't exist of their conversation.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/863007411132649473

5/16 NYT breaks story that Comey has memos on his conversations with the President.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/politics/james-comey-trump-flynn-russia-investigation.html

So the claim is that because the Memos back up the earlier reporting that the earlier reporting was based on the leaked memos and therefore the memos were not leaked in a response to Trumps tweet.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

quote:

Comey Testifies to President's Sexual Misconduct before Senate Committee

"I was shocked. I didn't know what to say."

That was how James Comey, testifying today before a Senate Committee, described his reaction at a private White House dinner in April when, he alleges, the President made a 'highly inappropriate' advances on the then-Director of the FBI once aides had cleared the room.

"I didn't respond. I didn't change my facial expression. I just stared straight ahead in silence."

Afterwards, Comey testified, the President put his hand on his shoulder. "I hope you can see clear to letting this go."

Following the encounter, Mr. Comey claims he pleaded of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, "Don't leave me alone in a room with him [the President] ever again!"

Only weeks later, President Trump fired Comey from his position at the FBI, officially for poor job performance. Comey himself, however, testified that his performance reviews had been nothing but positive up until that point, and that his termination was instead as a direct result of his unwillingness to participate in an 'inappropriate' relationship with the President.

President Trump has denied the incident, but in a tweet shortly after the firing appeared to be making a subtle threat to the contrary, warning Comey, "You had better hope there are no tapes of our meeting."

When asked by Senate Committee Chairman about the possible existence of tapes of the incident, Comey responded, "Oh Lordy..."

He later clarified, "I never did anything with hookers. I always assumed . . . I was being taped."

This is fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I've read of those they seemed incredibly tenuous to me, little more than "but if the law allows that, then that would be bad!" In more words. The pardon power is like sovereign immunity: it's not about making sense, it's about the fact that monarchism was a current political theory in the 1700s and some of the framers agreed with it.

God drat you Lin Manuel Miranda

• Locked thread