Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Over an hour on the phone with frontier support telling me it's my router because it's not Frontier branded. Finally convince him to escalate and I wind up with a "network trouble ticket." By some miracle the network department called me back 30 minutes later, under 5 minutes on the phone with them and they had it resolved. "Can you break your dhcp lease?" "Sure, unplugged the cable." "Great gimme a minute. (a minute goes by) Ok try again." 100/100 solid. Actually 100/120mbps.

He cleared the arp cache for my device on the head end. :suicide:

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Over an hour on the phone with frontier support telling me it's my router because it's not Frontier branded. Finally convince him to escalate and I wind up with a "network trouble ticket." By some miracle the network department called me back 30 minutes later, under 5 minutes on the phone with them and they had it resolved. "Can you break your dhcp lease?" "Sure, unplugged the cable." "Great gimme a minute. (a minute goes by) Ok try again." 100/100 solid. Actually 100/120mbps.

He cleared the arp cache for my device on the head end. :suicide:

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

..... Wow you won some sort of Frontier lottery there. When I was fighting with them about my parents service I could never get them to escalate no matter what I did. And I made multiple attempts over a several week period.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Buff Hardback posted:

The trade off is that you lose some speed on the 2.4ghz band in exchange for better performance on 5ghz

Hmm the nano is $160 on amazon. The Pro is $137.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Having some issues with my old printer SURPRISE so I decided to go into the router while loving with it and assigned DHCP res' for all my regular devices. Some of them stuck, some didn't. I gave my desktop the first address, 192.168.0.101, but its getting 111 for some reason. There are a few examples like that and on top of the printer issues its driving me loving berserk. Actually it kinda began with me sitting down for supper and going to throw on an ep of Frasier on Plex and not being able to hit the NAS. Still cant. I'm gonna lose it

Went back to have one more poke at it and I had disconnected the ethernet from the printer end and put that end back into the switch in a loop, the NAS is also connected to that switch and I had for some reason disconnected the switch from the router so nothing was going anywhere weeeeeeeeeeee gimme more whiskey

codo27 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 1, 2020

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Welp, I think/hope I can finally retire my nighthawk R7000.

After my UDM Nightmare I took another chance on Ubiquiti and so far they've passed with flying colors. I'm using my modem/router (SmartRG SR808ac) as the router, and I've got an AP-AC-LR and three USW-Flex-Minis going. I cut and crimped my first ethernet cords, fished a few cables prior to crimping, and I'm currently basking in the joy of a fully wired office, fully wired basement media theatre, fully wired living room entertainment, and a well-covered house/yard/shop. And the wifi hasn't died yet! I've had the odd drop, but nothing too crazy.

Next up will be a US-8-60W coming on the weekend (so that I can run the Minis via PoE), fishing some of the temporary cable runs in a more permanent way (not looking forward to that), setting up a bunch of static IPs, and then setting up the controller to run on a Pi that also runs my homeseer controller. Whee!

All that being said, since there's a lot of Unifi braintrust in here - any idea why I'd be getting a lot of High WiFi Retries for an iPhone and an Android phone? The one issue i do sometimes get is that my Galaxy S10 will report "Couldn't Authenticate Connection" when trying to connect to the AP.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I've had the odd drop, but nothing too crazy.

Not acceptable for this level of equipment imo.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Not sure if anyone else has experience with Verizon FIOS in North Jersey, but it looks like the house I am moving into was not a verizon customer before but nearly every room as a coaxial jack. I have installation scheduled in a few weeks and I'm wondering if the tech will be able to 1) install w/e modem/router box downstairs and 2) then run cat5 up to one of the upstairs bedrooms that already has coax. Is that something they'll be able to do and not charge me a giant fee?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How much of a PITA is replacing existing cable? Our place currently has what I understand to be regular CAT5, I’m debating moving to 5e or 6 or whatever to future proof things a bit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Warbird posted:

How much of a PITA is replacing existing cable? Our place currently has what I understand to be regular CAT5, I’m debating moving to 5e or 6 or whatever to future proof things a bit.

Never do this. Unless it doesn't work leave it alone.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Noted. I was planning on having someone make a couple of ports and run cable through a small unused space b/t the wiring node and the place what the internet comes in the house at and ol figured I may as well do the drat thing whole hog at once.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Warbird posted:

Having just fished a couple cables in a 100 year old house (and having done my own wiring for my workshop) - the most important question is whether the cabling was done as a retrofit (via fishing) or as a new build/install when the studs were bare.
When you're building new, you are often required by code to secure the wiring to studs with staples or other fixtures. When you're doing it as a retrofit, you aren't and often can't, so the wiring is essentially freely placed inside the walls. What this means is that with retrofit wiring, you can splice the cables together very securely and essentially pull in the new cabling using the old cable. It's a completely blind operation and it carries a bit of risk, but it's entirely possible - if you roughly understand the route the wiring takes you may need to open up a few holes where the wiring makes 90 degree turns as you risk damaging the cable, and it's certainly not as easy for multi-storey runs. If the wiring is original though (for a house built in the 90's), it's highly unlikely that you can do this because deep inside the walls the wiring is held in place. It would be easier to just disconnect the ends and fish new cables where you need them.

Warbird posted:

Noted. I was planning on having someone make a couple of ports and run cable through a small unused space b/t the wiring node and the place what the internet comes in the house at and ol figured I may as well do the drat thing whole hog at once.

How much would you be replacing/adding? In situations like this the full scope can sometimes help you decide... a 800sf bungalow with a crawlspace and no basement is easier to tackle than a 2500sf two-storey house with a fully finished basement

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 1, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Not sure if anyone else has experience with Verizon FIOS in North Jersey, but it looks like the house I am moving into was not a verizon customer before but nearly every room as a coaxial jack. I have installation scheduled in a few weeks and I'm wondering if the tech will be able to 1) install w/e modem/router box downstairs and 2) then run cat5 up to one of the upstairs bedrooms that already has coax. Is that something they'll be able to do and not charge me a giant fee?

I knee jerk replied to the post after yours because I was on mobile and it's a pet peeve of mine that people think they need to R&R working cable for ~the future~. :v:

It is unlikely they will do this. You should talk to the installer though - they are often independent contractors. Have cash ready. However, if you aren't getting TV service just buy and install MoCA adapters to get yourself ethernet throughout your house. If you have them in hand / setup you might be able to convince the guy to crawl around in your attic or whatever to help you out. Again, have cash ready.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Guitarchitect posted:

How much would you be replacing/adding? In situations like this the full scope can sometimes help you decide... a 800sf bungalow with a crawlspace and no basement is easier to tackle than a 2500sf two-storey house with a fully finished basement

It’s a 2005ish townhome on a slab so it sounds like I’m keeping what I have now. I’ll make due I suppose.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Warbird posted:

It’s a 2005ish townhome on a slab so it sounds like I’m keeping what I have now. I’ll make due I suppose.

yeah, you would basically need to re-cable alongside it, not replace what's there - or just put in a new "backbone" line that you can branch off of in the future with switches, if you're really going to need something substantially better than wired 100mbit around the house. as much as i would love a server rack in the basement and direct lines to everything, it's far more practical for me to have a switch in the basement and another switch in my office so that I can run cabling into the attic and drop it where I need it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would be pretty surprised if a 2005 build was Cat5 rather than Cat5e

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I would be pretty surprised if cat5 cable from the first roll off the line of cat 5 cable ever made didn't work at 1gbps.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Binary Badger posted:

Any thread consensus on the NetGear Orbi, either the RBK50 or its WiFi 6 equivalent, the RBK 752?

It looks good on paper, seems to review well on Amazon, and can do wired backhaul by buying a nice long CAT6 cable.

Not sure I want to spend $450 vs. $330 just to have WiFi 6 when the only WiFi 6 device I even have is a timphone.

The LinkSys Velop looks good too, but with the recent misgivings I've seen in misc posts, I'm not sure having to deal with bugs in current firmware is worth having HomeKit compatibility..

My parents have the RBK50 and it works fine for their needs. If you're looking for an all-in-one wifi mesh + router system then it's good.

One of the drawbacks is that if you find that you need an additional satellite they're kind of expensive. If you know you'll only need the base station + the single satellite then it's fine, but if you need more it might be more cost effective to go with something else, especially if you're going to be running cables.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thanks for the info.

During my research for info on both the Velop and Orbi, they both seem to have some issues, but someone has actually written alternative firmware for the RBK50 that provides faster speeds and higher stability than NetGear's own stock firmware.

No such alternative appears to exist on the Velop for the moment.

I would surely love HomeKit compatibility, but at the moment I don't have enough doodads that it'd be worth the bother for now.

On a pure technical level, I'm leaning more and more towards the Orbi, people seem to bitch less about it and having the Voxel firmware to fall back on seems like a good bet..

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I would be pretty surprised if a 2005 build was Cat5 rather than Cat5e

I took a look at the plate and it reads as 5e, but there’s not telling if they actually used it or not. I need to test that sometime.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Warbird posted:

I took a look at the plate and it reads as 5e, but there’s not telling if they actually used it or not. I need to test that sometime.

Take the plate off the wall and see if you can read the cable jacket.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
I just moved into a house where the previous owner went a little hog wild with wired ports. I have 4 ports on the outside of the house 2 under the the porch and 2 inside a 100% screened in balcony. After I verify that these things still work after being somewhat exposed to the elements, I want to hang an outdoor wifi ap to cover the back yard off of one of them (probably the upstairs one). I have two Ubiquity ap's already so i'm happy to stay with that brand. Just wondering if this is what I need to use:

Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5 - Wireless Access Point - AirMax (LOCOM5US)

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-loco-M5-Wireless/dp/B00HXT8FPS/ref=pd_ybh_a_27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YG7F61ASRVVW444FV11M

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The wife has made the major tactical bunder of signing off on the purchasing of a new router(s) as our current setup has been getting less reliable or at least more noticeably unreliable since we've both started working from home. Current setup is a couple of TP-Link Archer C7s, one acting as an upstairs bridge wired to the main. We've got a couple of those Nest cameras going at any given time, so I'm sure that's not helping things any.

Wirecutter is recommending the Archer AX20 as a good general pick and it seems reasonable given that the C7s we've had have been pretty decent, WebUI aside. I am eyeing the Asus RT-AX88U that's also recommended, but that may be a but much considering that what we have is more or less meeting my needs. Thoughts? I'm not opposed to living that Ubiquiti life but I may be asking for trouble there from a cost and complexity standpoint.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
In the middle of getting my new UniFi network set up and have hit a weird issue that I'm sure is just one setting away from being resolved... but I can't suss it out.

I can't seem to get my 16 port switch to give me gigabit speeds. I pay for 500d/50u. If I plug my laptop directly into the UDM-Pro I can get 500+/~35u (I never cracked 40 up before, probably SnR issue so consistent). This is the desired speeds for what I have available to me from my ISP.

But if I plug directly into USW-16-POE that's connected over the SFP I get ~80-100d/~35u.

It's weird. All speeds are using the same server on Speedtest.net.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this?

e: Just checked and both Windows and the UniFi dashboard show 1 Gpbs as negotiation on the port.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 2, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

In the middle of getting my new UniFi network set up and have hit a weird issue that I'm sure is just one setting away from being resolved... but I can't suss it out.

I can't seem to get my 16 port switch to give me gigabit speeds. I pay for 500d/50u. If I plug my laptop directly into the UDM-Pro I can get 500+/~35u (I never cracked 40 up before, probably SnR issue so consistent). This is the desired speeds for what I have available to me from my ISP.

But if I plug directly into USW-16-POE that's connected over the SFP I get ~80-100d/~35u.

It's weird. All speeds are using the same server on Speedtest.net.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this?

e: Just checked and both Windows and the UniFi dashboard show 1 Gpbs as negotiation on the port.

Can you show the interface speeds from Windows -> USW, USW -> UDM, and UDM -> :butt: (your modem/ont/whatever) ? What are the physical interfaces? You mention an SFP - can you have the switch print the PHY information on it? (often a command like "show interface" ) Can it print the make/model? Not what you read off the sticker here, what the machine is reporting.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Can you show the interface speeds from Windows -> USW, USW -> UDM, and UDM -> :butt: (your modem/ont/whatever) ? What are the physical interfaces? You mention an SFP - can you have the switch print the PHY information on it? (often a command like "show interface" ) Can it print the make/model? Not what you read off the sticker here, what the machine is reporting.

Thanks, when you say interface speeds are you referring to what the various devices are showing when connected as either 1G or 100/10? Or actually do speed tests between those devices. If the latter, I'm not sure the best approach to do so.

I'm doing more digging and finding out that my issue MAY be that the switch only has a 1GB SFP port, which is why I had to force the UDM-Pro to 1GB and it wouldn't see instead of leaving it on autonegotiation.

Is it possible that it's splitting the 1GB across all the ports? So maybe better to not use SFP for the link between the two and go copper?

Everything lights up Green for 1GB on the Switch and between the UDM-Pro and the Switch as well as the network adapter on my windows machine. When I plug into the UDM I get the appropriate speeds, so it's something between the UDM-Pro and the USW-16-POE

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Are the UDM and the Switch up to date?

I know there's been a lot of work recently on the SFP/SFP+ interaction in firmware lately and that might be what's causing your issue.

What physical connection (i.e. cable type) are you using to go from the UDM to the switch?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

Are the UDM and the Switch up to date?

I know there's been a lot of work recently on the SFP/SFP+ interaction in firmware lately and that might be what's causing your issue.

What physical connection (i.e. cable type) are you using to go from the UDM to the switch?

I believe that they're up to date, I just received them this week and hit the upgrade buttons for each of the devices.

It's this cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNRLWCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) going from the button port of the UDM into the top port of the switch. I had to configure the UDM to not autonegotiate and put it at 1G to see the switch.

Thinking it was the issue, I also just removed that cable and tried a cat6 that I had lying around (and had tested with my other network and it gave speeds in the 500/50 neighborhood) and received the same results.

Is the issue that the switch can only do 1gigabit in the backplane? So it's sharing the gigabit connection across the 16 ports? I have virtually no traffic at the moment so unless it's forcing a reduction of the gigabit connection I'm not sure why it's not hitting it. So wondering if my expectations are not aligning properly with what I purchased.

Showing gigabit negotiation on the dashboard for both ports on the UDM and the switch, and also on my Windows laptop.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

I believe that they're up to date, I just received them this week and hit the upgrade buttons for each of the devices.

It's this cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNRLWCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) going from the button port of the UDM into the top port of the switch. I had to configure the UDM to not autonegotiate and put it at 1G to see the switch.

Thinking it was the issue, I also just removed that cable and tried a cat6 that I had lying around (and had tested with my other network and it gave speeds in the 500/50 neighborhood) and received the same results.

Is the issue that the switch can only do 1gigabit in the backplane? So it's sharing the gigabit connection across the 16 ports? I have virtually no traffic at the moment so unless it's forcing a reduction of the gigabit connection I'm not sure why it's not hitting it. So wondering if my expectations are not aligning properly with what I purchased.

Showing gigabit negotiation on the dashboard for both ports on the UDM and the switch, and also on my Windows laptop.

So my understanding is you can use a DAC (that one cable, but I'd lean UDC DAC [the Unifi one] over a third party one), but Unifi recommends instead using fiber modules. UF-MM-1G plus the appropriate MM fiber would probably have better support and behave appropriately. (I reached out to Unifi because of planning for this similar thing, mismatched SFP/SFP+ for when I build my network)

And no, the backplane isn't the issue. Its total non-blocking throughput is 18Gbps.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

So my understanding is you can use a DAC (that one cable, but I'd lean UDC DAC [the Unifi one] over a third party one), but Unifi recommends instead using fiber modules. UF-MM-1G plus the appropriate MM fiber would probably have better support and behave appropriately. (I reached out to Unifi because of planning for this similar thing, mismatched SFP/SFP+ for when I build my network)

And no, the backplane isn't the issue. Its total non-blocking throughput is 18Gbps.

Ok, makes sense about the third party, shouldn’t I be able to use a cat 6 and not have a problem though? I still am.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

Ok, makes sense about the third party, shouldn’t I be able to use a cat 6 and not have a problem though? I still am.
I'd say try another cable if you can too. I haven't messed around with this generation of Unifi stuff so I'm kind of operating blind.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

I'd say try another cable if you can too. I haven't messed around with this generation of Unifi stuff so I'm kind of operating blind.

Thanks, to be clear I need a cat 6, a 5e won’t do for this job?

E: forget the q, I had a brand new 6 right here. Same result connecting that to the udm

EE: welp. Pulling down 300ish right now. Much closer! Think that may have done it.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 3, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for the help, just tried it in my office at the jack and got 530/31, so I think I resolved the issue. Also tried a different server, that may have been a factor too.

Much obliged for the help!

e: mother fucker, replaced the SFP on a lark and disconnected the cat 6. 530/31 again. it was the speedtest server.

I'm really angry right now lmao

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the help, just tried it in my office at the jack and got 530/31, so I think I resolved the issue. Also tried a different server, that may have been a factor too.

Much obliged for the help!

:toot:

Glad to know you like that setup, because that's what I'm planning for when I move (but probably will use Unifi DAC or fiber instead of copper)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

:toot:

Glad to know you like that setup, because that's what I'm planning for when I move (but probably will use Unifi DAC or fiber instead of copper)

I just sniped an edit, I replaced it with using the SFP again and top speeds again.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

e: it was the speedtest server.

I'm really angry right now lmao

Which were you using?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

astral posted:

Which were you using?

I'm in SE Michigan. I used a few (UMich, Detroit Rocket Fiber, Comcast), which was weird because they consistently gave me 100mbit when I was plugged into the switch and higher when the UDM. Then moved to Climax, MI (love the name) and got what I needed.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

I'm in SE Michigan. I used a few (UMich, Detroit Rocket Fiber, Comcast), which was weird because they consistently gave me 100mbit when I was plugged into the switch and higher when the UDM. Then moved to Climax, MI (love the name) and got what I needed.

speed.cloudflare.com is my new favorite

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Er, when I said 'which' I meant which speed test website were you using. I usually recommend google fiber's speedtest for people with fast connections (last I knew it was still different from the regular google speedtest). Sounds like you were using Unifi's built-in one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oh ok, that makes more sense. speedtest.net. I'll check out both of these recommendations. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I see you got this fixed, but you put in a 10G SFP+ into a 1G SFP slot? That's your problem.