Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not a game, but a game system:

Why is there no clamshell form-factor 2DS?

I don't care about 3D at all, and it barely even works with me. Something wrong with my eyes? I don't know, even with glasses I can barely perceive most 3D movies, and I've never gotten a Magic Eye thing to work, either.

So while there are a bunch of 3DS (and original DS) games I'd love to play/re-play, but I don't want to spend money on a 3DS because why pay for a feature I don't want/use? But the "axe-head" form-factor of the 2DS is really fucknig stupid.

Just give me a New 3DSXL, take out the 3D, and charge like $50 less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The 2DS is cheaper because it only has one big screen with a line of plastic splitting it into two.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Croccers posted:

Recon was the best Assault class. Chuck Beep balls everywhere then just shotgun the gently caress out of everything.

Agreed. I've been running Scout in BF1 lately just because I love the flares. Using an unscoped Russian trench lever action for long, safe shots, and my pistol for everything else. I'd looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove a shotgun, though.

The biggest issue I have with BF1 is that the medic guns are so good everyone uses them like sniper rifles so there's no one around to revive or heal. They're all in a tower/on a hill/whatever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ArtIsResistance posted:

On an extra note does anyone know of a turn-based RPG with combat that's actually somewhat varied and enjoyable? I don't know why I'm asking this thread for game recommendations but for some reason it seems like the best place on the forums for it :v:

Undertale's combat system is what happens when a turn-based RPG, Warioware, a shmup, and a platformer all climb into a clown car and drive into a brick wall. It's awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Guy Mann posted:

Undertale's combat system is what happens when a turn-based RPG, Warioware, a shmup, and a platformer all climb into a clown car and drive into a brick wall. It's awesome.

Did they ever make it so I can use wasd? Because that's what caused me to put the game down. My keyboard doesn't have full-size arrow keys.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

well why not posted:

More and more evidence that Bad Company 2 was the best iteration of Battlefield. Even then, it was rife with ubiquitous snipers-glued-to-a-hill players. If they could make a Battlefield game with no sniper rifles or jets it'd be the best. Bad Company 2's recon class was at least versatile, because you could just grab a shotgun or SMG and just go to town with the sensor balls and some explosives.

Why switch weapons? Just take the scope off the M95 and run around with your beep balls, blasting people away at 5 meters with an elephant gun

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Oh that's right, you could get the semi-auto sniper, take the big scope off and put on a red-dot. Presto, an assault class with extra gadgets, high stopping power and the ability to show stuff on the map from like 100 metres away.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ArtIsResistance posted:

On an extra note does anyone know of a turn-based RPG with combat that's actually somewhat varied and enjoyable? I don't know why I'm asking this thread for game recommendations but for some reason it seems like the best place on the forums for it :v:

Any of the Mario RPGs would do (Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi). Mario & Luigi 3 is my favorite of the lot.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Agreed, I'm gonna keep picking on Gungeon here but from what I could tell from the trailers and descriptions and names it seemed like an awesome fun roguelike where you get to use a bunch of fantastic weapons. And then every post in this thread talks about how you're unable to use any of the fantastic weapons because the developers decided that you shouldn't be getting ammo for your guns in a game called Enter the Gungeon.

I honestly love playing difficult games but I hate playing games that are just an utter chore to play and this thread does a great job of distinguishing between the two, keep it up team!

On that note someone recommend me a game for PS4 or PS3 or even PC if it's not super modern that's difficult but fun, go go go!!!!!!!

I come to this game's defense a lot it seems, but I really, really think that its ammo issues are ridiculously overstated by people in this thread who are often talking about the very late game.

It is legitimately a very fun game that throws weird weapons at you like candy and when you're trying to decide what to buy I wouldn't take what people say here as gospel since things can get really exaggerated. In my opinion it has a lot more staying power than Throne, if you see it on sale for five dollars or so its more than worth it.

Also, reiterating what others have said, Devil Daggers is great.

khwarezm has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Nov 23, 2016

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The Long Dark, a game about surviving in the cold Canadian wasteland, has this bizarre mechanic of "Cabin fever".

Basically, if you spend over 50% of your time indoors you get a debuff that makes you unable to sleep indoors for 24 hours. So this means your character would rather sleep outside in a howling blizzard than indoors. The mechanic is apparently supposed to prevent you from just staying in their base the whole game but it's also really easy to get if you loot a lot of houses. Apparently the character is some kind of crazy person that can't tolerate seeing the insides of houses and would rather sleep in the loving snow.

It adds absolutely nothing except maybe stop people from playing a single-player game with no scoreboards in a really boring way, and I have no idea why the developers would care about that.

edit: Like, imagine if this was how real life works. You spend 8 hours at work and 8 hours sleeping, and because of this after a few days you have to sleep outside instead because the indoor bed stops working.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

The Long Dark, a game about surviving in the cold Canadian wasteland, has this bizarre mechanic of "Cabin fever".

Basically, if you spend over 50% of your time indoors you get a debuff that makes you unable to sleep indoors for 24 hours. So this means your character would rather sleep outside in a howling blizzard than indoors. The mechanic is apparently supposed to prevent you from just staying in their base the whole game but it's also really easy to get if you loot a lot of houses. Apparently the character is some kind of crazy person that can't tolerate seeing the insides of houses and would rather sleep in the loving snow.

It adds absolutely nothing except maybe stop people from playing a single-player game with no scoreboards in a really boring way, and I have no idea why the developers would care about that.

edit: Like, imagine if this was how real life works. You spend 8 hours at work and 8 hours sleeping, and because of this after a few days you have to sleep outside instead because the indoor bed stops working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsezrzS27UY

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RyokoTK posted:

Any of the Mario RPGs would do (Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi). Mario & Luigi 3 is my favorite of the lot.

Seconding this but recommending superstar saga (the gba mario and luigi)
It introduces in new abilities at a very good pace, it has minimal hand holding (relative to the newer ones which have A LOT) and your moves eventually get better.

Also has absolutely the most charm out of all the games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I got Pokemon Moon today and I have a bone to pick with the game, people mentioned earlier that its very handholdy and holy poo poo its worse than I realized, not only am I shown how to catch a Pokemon for the millionth time but I'm also very slowly guided around the nearby city and given instructions on what everything is.

I know what a goddamn Pokemon Center does, I've been using them for 20 years and even worse is the Roton Pokedex that constantly tells you where to go and has a flag icon on the map to direct you exactly to your next destination, I feel like I'm playing baby's first Pokemon game with all these tutorials and hand holding.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the reason Sun/Moon is so handhold-y in its earlier hours is because there is a lot of stuff that's genuinely new or different, and some of it goes hand in hand with stuff that's still the same. That in addition to the fact that this will be many many peoples' first Pokemon game, guaranteed, means they're inclined to go over everything no matter how basic right from the top. I think I'd like to amend my statement from earlier about how they should let you say no to the tutorial stuff, and instead propose they give you three options: "Yes, run me through it all", "No, I know it all already", and "What's different about the Alola region?". That way everybody is happy and nobody ends up missing any new stuff unless they consciously decide to.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The new thread tag is dragging my forums experience down because every time I see it in my bookmarks for a split second I think I'm gonna be getting some new cute rat pics from Pet Island and then I'm sad that I'm not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do...do you adults realize Pokémon is a game targeted at children? Yes grown rear end adults like me are playing it but the target audience is tiny children. That would be like going "goddamn Sesame Street I know how to count already."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

Do...do you adults realize Pokémon is a game targeted at children? Yes grown rear end adults like me are playing it

Yeah, I know that! Nintendo also knows both those things, though.

edit: And really they've known both those things for decades. :shrug:

vvv yeah that's what people are saying when they're asking for convenience, lol

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

Do...do you adults realize Pokémon is a game targeted at children? Yes grown rear end adults like me are playing it but the target audience is tiny children. That would be like going "goddamn Sesame Street I know how to count already."

B-b-but Nintendo is supposed to cater to me specifically!

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Len posted:

it's hard to make a comment along these lines without coming across as trolling, but it really is an amazing lack of perspective to consider something rated E (E for 'Everyone') to be too simple. i mean, the E rating is literally the same rating you get on the Dora the Explorer games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Pretty much. Nintendo games are for children and sadly the gameplay suffers for it. I'd like to know what those of you who praise Nintendo for their emphasis on gameplay (as opposed to who, pray tell) are huffing, cuz it sounds like some good poo poo.

It's neat when they include hard modes but then they do something retarded like lock it behind a restriction (beat the game first, etc.). But yeah Pokemon gameplay is super lame and outdated in my opinion, it's a piss-poor turn-based RPG that was my favorite thing when i was literally in 3rd grade (I had a baller Game Boy Pocket). So hearing these complaints, I'm just like "yeah, sounds about right. That's uh, Pokemon for you."

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Nov 24, 2016

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
1 Billion quotes coming up!!!

RabbitWizard posted:

Shadow Hearts Covenant. One of the best games I ever played.

This seems hard to play without a ps2 and a copy of the game :( . I do like RPGs that have a ton of optional bonus dungeons at the end of the game and this kind of seems like one of those if I'm reading it right. That's another thing I want I guess, more dungeons!!! (especially if some of them are optional mmmm)

Cleretic posted:

I'd kind of want a definition of 'varied and enjoyable' here, because I feel like my definition would probably vary from yours.

My definition would be Bravely Default and Bravely Second, etc. etc.

Uhhhh oh god I don't know what my definition is. I think I just want an rpg that's a good time that doesn't fall down the final fantasy hole of mash your strongest attack until you run out of MP and then either eat a mana biscuit or keep mashing attack. I like using buffs and debuffs and all those support spells and such. I'm sure I'll get poo poo on for this but I really enjoyed Chrono Cross's battle system. Making it so all the spells were 1 use per battle per equip made it really interesting, especially since one of the spells was revive and there were only a few of those in the game.

I did hear Bravely 1 and 2 were pretty awesome and the job system does sound like something that would appeal to me but I also heard what happens in the 2nd half of Default and ooooh boy that doesn't sound like something I wanna play just for that.

Guy Mann posted:

I mean I try not to judge a game based on its fans because most gamers are garbage people anyways, but I can't help but do it for this game my god

RyokoTK posted:

I already played all of those although I think I only played the first Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi up to the 2nd one which was just terrible. I heard 3 was really good but I have no idea where my non-3d DS is at this point unfortunately. Althooooough I do have my GBA SP with me for some reason and I"m pretty sure I have a copy of Superstar Saga I bought off SA Mart although I don't feel like enough time has passed since the last time I played it for the playthrough to be fresh enough.

Time to play Devil Daggers and see how that goes for me, wish me luck team

e: oh yeah, I somehow have both a Gamecube AND a copy of Thousand Year Door I've never played, is there any way to get the Gamecube's inputs working on a monitor that only has HDMI/VGA/DVI ports?

ArtIsResistance has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Nov 24, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I still play Pokémon the way I did back with blue, I catch and use what looks neat. At no point does the game get hard enough to warrant sperging out over specific stats.

Hell I don't think any of them do. A friend of mine played blue to completion when it came out on the eShop only using Pokémon he could get without pokeballs.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Oh Jesus gently caress Devil Dagger what the hell oh god

I made it to 3 minutes and 5 seconds I feel like a loving god this game is the best

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
y'all are making me really curious about this deviled daggers game

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ArtIsResistance posted:

I mean I try not to judge a game based on its fans because most gamers are garbage people anyways, but I can't help but do it for this game my god

Judge freely, but don't let a fandom keep you from enjoying actually cool stuff.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Devil Daggers has an unbelievably cool aesthetic but a one-room arena shooter doesn't sound like my cup of tea so I didn't buy it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The new thread tag is dragging my forums experience down because every time I see it in my bookmarks for a split second I think I'm gonna be getting some new cute rat pics from Pet Island and then I'm sad that I'm not.
urgh, fine, here's my beloved Smaslug recovering from her tumour surgery and shaving thereof

http://imgur.com/f13ddah

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

KingSlime posted:

y'all are making me really curious about this deviled daggers game

I looked it up and saw this and ended up just going "Jesus Christ!" by the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoRbNs9bDk

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

me the first time 30 seconds into devil daggers: what the gently caress this is bullshit how is anyone supposed to play this game

me the first time 2 minutes into devil daggers: aaaaaaaaahhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHH

I refuse to watch any of those 10 minute run videos for spoilers. This is the only game in the last 50 years I have cared about spoilers for

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

like what the gently caress is the next step up from those giant goddamn worms, some kind of spinning death wheel of skulls?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In the new Pokémon you literally have a loving Pokémon living in your Pokedex but it doesn't even add itself to your "Seen" Pokémon list, let alone have a full entry like something you caught.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

In the new Pokémon you literally have a loving Pokémon living in your Pokedex but it doesn't even add itself to your "Seen" Pokémon list, let alone have a full entry like something you caught.

cuz you didn't catch it and you can't actually see it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It pops out when you first get it! It literally talks to you the whole game and never shuts up!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Battlefield 1: The violence is so.. sterilized. You know what I'm thinking of when people bayonet charge from a trench and eat a mortar or tank shell? I'm imagining limbs and poo poo flying around and blood splattering the immediate area. I really think the only reason this game is rated M is because they say gently caress a few times, other then that this game's violence and "gore" can fly in a T game.

Titanfall 2 has people explode into delicious meat chunks when blown up, what are you too good for my lusts of violence Battlefield?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Len posted:

Did they ever make it so I can use wasd? Because that's what caused me to put the game down. My keyboard doesn't have full-size arrow keys.

Same reason I dropped the game. People have told me that I can use some outside program to force it to use wasd but gently caress that. I shouldn't have to hack wasd use into a game in 2016.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

Battlefield 1: The violence is so.. sterilized. You know what I'm thinking of when people bayonet charge from a trench and eat a mortar or tank shell? I'm imagining limbs and poo poo flying around and blood splattering the immediate area. I really think the only reason this game is rated M is because they say gently caress a few times, other then that this game's violence and "gore" can fly in a T game.

Titanfall 2 has people explode into delicious meat chunks when blown up, what are you too good for my lusts of violence Battlefield?

World at War for CoD also had some pretty good gore in it, which they then shied away from again later I guess. If you point blanked a guy with the sawn-off or sniped someone with the big honking rifles, his legs or whatever else blew the hell off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Len posted:

I still play Pokémon the way I did back with blue, I catch and use what looks neat. At no point does the game get hard enough to warrant sperging out over specific stats.

Hell I don't think any of them do. A friend of mine played blue to completion when it came out on the eShop only using Pokémon he could get without pokeballs.

Off the top of my head, that's your starter, Eevee, omanyte/kabuto, aerodactyl, Hitmonlee/chan, and Lapras, I think, plus whatever Pokemon you could buy from the Game Corner in that one gambling town.
It's a fairly dece spread

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Off the top of my head, that's your starter, Eevee, omanyte/kabuto, aerodactyl, Hitmonlee/chan, and Lapras, I think, plus whatever Pokemon you could buy from the Game Corner in that one gambling town.

You forgot the most important one. Good ol' magikarp.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Also the Magikarp from that one salesman.

That's a pretty interesting restriction, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Battlefield has never been gory and all of them up through 2142 didn't show blood either. It's a nice bit of restraint you don't see in a lot of violent AAA games now and I'm glad they didn't use WWI as an excuse to change that