Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Crossposting-

Got back into painting this weekend, and started working on my Inquisition Warband Acolytes. Here's the first:

The cloak was a ton of fun to do, and I need to figure out how I'm basing these guys.

Also started on my Grey Knights with a test model. I'm really unhappy with how the Zenithal Painting came out. I did Dark Grey, Medium Gray, Light Grey, and it just doesn't show at all. I'm going to need to find a new way to paint them. I didn't want to do Boltgun all over, and I didn't want to do straight up NMM since I'm not very good at it, I thought the Zenithal would give me a nice cheat around, but it didn't work out that well. Maybe I need to experiment with it some more (this was my first attempt). Really happy with the detailing though. I'm considering a wash, but I'm worried it'll just flatten everything even more in terms of contrast.

It's been pointed out how ridiculous his weapon is, but *shrug* - I was going to touch up the book, but he's probably taking a green bath once I figure out a proper Zenithal combination, so whatever.

Also, Progress on Acolytes for my Inquisition Detachment. The two ridiculous guns represent Jokaeros because monkeys are stupid.

Click for huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Welp, after the weekender wrapped up today I learned a valuable lesson: Forgeworld is just as good at disenfranchising people as GW prime.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Point to us on the Space Marine figure where Forgeworld touched you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there is no iron warrior to touch...

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Point to us on the Perturabo figure (use your imagination) where Forgeworld touched you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I legit want to know what they did, I've never heard many bad things in regards to them.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
They showed nothing for the Iron Warriors except for an event model. That's the problem, because now with a new book coming up they're already working on models for it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So it wasnt anything bad, they just aren't making what some people want right now?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm not Bulbasaur, but I'm pretty sure that's the source of his disappointment :shobon:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Any Goon reason why I shouldn't spend :10bux: to undo this trolling? "I like 40k, you like 40k, but lolololo" is in my opinion not an excuse to take up over half the screen.

You grognards and thinking that spending money to do this somehow makes you look superior. It was annoying when it was done to Bulbasaur, it's annoying now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Post 9-11 User posted:

Any Goon reason why I shouldn't spend :10bux: to undo this trolling? "I like 40k, you like 40k, but lolololo" is in my opinion not an excuse to take up over half the screen.

You grognards and thinking that spending money to do this somehow makes you look superior. It was annoying when it was done to Bulbasaur, it's annoying now.

Just...put him on ignore, and nothing will be taking up half the screen.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mango Polo posted:

I'm not Bulbasaur, but I'm pretty sure that's the source of his disappointment :shobon:

At least Iron Warriors have Legion shoulder pads. Raven Guard have a contemptor and that's it. Both of those forces are going to be the focus of a book later on in the series so I'm not surprised to see other forces getting some attention. Particularly since the scale has been so heavily tipped towards the traitor side so far.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Post 9-11 User posted:

lol if you are triggered by his red-text av

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

serious gaylord posted:

At least Iron Warriors have Legion shoulder pads. Raven Guard have a contemptor and that's it. Both of those forces are going to be the focus of a book later on in the series so I'm not surprised to see other forces getting some attention. Particularly since the scale has been so heavily tipped towards the traitor side so far.

They showed off the Raven Guard upgrades at the weekender as well as Ultramarine ones, I can kind of understand since i'm holding back on an order and was hoping to fill it out with some Tyrants if they were shown off, but does anyone know what went down at the "Stone and Iron" seminar? I haven't heard anything about it yet.
Iron Warriors are not the only one though, Alpha Legion is in a similar spot.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 9, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Im having problems coming up with a list for a tourney. I want the list to be fun to play against but still effective. (Yeah I know generalizations abound)

Illuminor Szeras

10 Warriors in Ghost Ark
20 Warriors (Szeras goes here and buffs this unit)
10 Gauss Immortals (Or tesla?)

5 Praetorians
Triarch Stalker

2x3 wraiths with coils
4 scarab bases

Anni barge

Im thinking about switching out the bases for tomb blades with the blasts.

Its 1500 pts with these restrictions. http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?topic=84534.0

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 9, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Im having problems coming up with a list for a tourney. I want the list to be fun to play against but still effective. (Yeah I know generalizations abound)

Illuminor Szeras

10 Warriors in Ghost Ark
20 Warriors (Szeras goes here and buffs this unit)
10 Gauss Immortals (Or tesla?)

5 Praetorians
Triarch Stalker

2x3 wraiths with coils
4 scarab bases

Anni barge

Im thinking about switching out the bases for tomb blades with the blasts.

Its 1500 pts with these restrictions. http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?topic=84534.0

Do that take Tomb Blades.

If you have Heavy Destroyers, consider them to go with the Triarch Stalker because Ballistic Skill 5 on something with Preferred enemy is pretty nice. It's also convenient because if their near Szeras they'll get +1 to their RP roll.

Also, seriously that list of restrictions.

Max 2 gravcannons. (Tigirius counts as one gravcannon)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 9, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Hitting ignore is free.

I just snagged a squad of 10 old school beret stormtroopers for my retro IG. I'm happy to look forward to painting some stormtroopers once I'm tired of painting all these stormtroopers.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Do that take Tomb Blades.

If you have Heavy Destroyers, consider them to go with the Triarch Stalker because Ballistic Skill 5 on something with Preferred enemy is pretty nice. It's also convenient because if their near Szeras they'll get +1 to their RP roll.

Also, seriously that list of restrictions.

Max 2 gravcannons. (Tigirius counts as one gravcannon)

Restrictions are fine, I dont mind. Not taking heavy destroyers because poor.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It would help if you included what models you had access to but I think the change you made is good. I think you should have more Praetorians because their pretty sweet units. Especially with Particle Casters.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Post 9-11 User posted:

Whoever bought it the first time will just replace it again.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Are particle casters really better than the rod?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Their better against MCs, and good for getting rear armour shots on AV10. Rod of the Covenant is better at killing Marines. Particle casters and the Voidblade gives you a extra attack in CC, Blades are better Versus AV walkers at least.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

'bigger than a thunderhawk'

It's still a WIP obviously but I for one really do like it. You guys leveling all the hate at it are SO wrong :P

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

It's still a WIP obviously but I for one really do like it. You guys leveling all the hate at it are SO wrong :P

I don't see any reason to love or hate it. It's just another blocky Space Marine flyer. ForgeWorld makes good models, but there's only so much wiggle room you have with some of these concepts.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The entire line of Space Marine vehicles look like they were made out of lego blocks.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Reminds me of that conversion some guy did which was a flyer built out of a pair of butchered land raiders.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
In order to further complete my life quest of obtaining a playable force for every 40k army, I'm thinking of grabbing some Necrons. It looks like a battleforce box and The Tomb Awakened would be a really good start, and comes to around 1000-1250 points. If I did that, I think I'd also want to grab a second warrior barge thing and at least one flyer to deliver some lychguard somewhere useful.

Would it be worth buying tomb blades to field one of the fancy necron formations? With combined arms, I could field the stalker thing without buying additional models, but maybe I could just sell that to someone locally to buy the tomb blades. I'd like to keep the army below $400, but that'll be rough even with a warstore discount. I wish I'd bought Fix's necrons when they were for sale.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

I don't like it mostly because it looks nothing like what I imagined when reading the HH stuff. Why wasn't I consulted?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

drgnvale posted:

In order to further complete my life quest of obtaining a playable force for every 40k army, I'm thinking of grabbing some Necrons. It looks like a battleforce box and The Tomb Awakened would be a really good start, and comes to around 1000-1250 points. If I did that, I think I'd also want to grab a second warrior barge thing and at least one flyer to deliver some lychguard somewhere useful.

Would it be worth buying tomb blades to field one of the fancy necron formations? With combined arms, I could field the stalker thing without buying additional models, but maybe I could just sell that to someone locally to buy the tomb blades. I'd like to keep the army below $400, but that'll be rough even with a warstore discount. I wish I'd bought Fix's necrons when they were for sale.

If you combined the Tomb Awakened with the older Necron Battleforce box, which you see here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40K-Necron-Battleforce-NEW-in-Box-Factory-Shrink-/121563912213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4dc61815

That would legitimately be a perfectly fine army for under $400 bucks. Honestly you could buy two Tomb Awakens and 1 Necron Battle Force and be done for a while.

You could also Ebay because seriously people are selling their Necron Armies because they are unhappy.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Starving African children could have bought a set of Space Marine Jump Packs with that :10bux:

Big difference between Tumblr triggered and, "You morons are wasting money tar and feathering someone that is a clone of you."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Starving African children could have bought a set of Space Marine Jump Packs with that :10bux:

Big difference between Tumblr triggered and, "You morons are wasting money tar and feathering someone that is a clone of you."

that's a lot of words to say you don't care

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Finally finished my Sporocyst... was rather tedious to paint, as most of the little detailed segments were repeated five times over.

For those who missed it, here's the Mucolid it births:

Still need to finish the Spore mines from the kits, too. And my custom Dimachaeron is about 99% done!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

drgnvale posted:

Tomb Blades are legit good, now. You're essentially paying 1 point over a stock Immortal to get one with a worse save but T5, relentless, and with twin-linked guns and ridiculous mobility. 2 points more gets you a nebuloscope - 20 points per man to get a whole squad of something the Necron codex generally has very little of, firepower that ignores cover. 'Blades with gauss blasters and nebuloscopes will basically be mobile hunter-killers that'll just scour ruins clean of light infantry and glance vehicles to death - and having ignores cover also means Eldar gravtanks and other skimmers can just go gently caress themselves.

Alternatively, you could pay 2 more points to upgrade the gauss blasters to particle beamers - 22 points per dude for a whole squad of ignores cover S6AP5 blasts will annihilate guardsman equivalents, force ridiculous amounts of wounds on Marines, and still pack a good chance of glancing light vehicles if you really need to.

And of course, if you find yourself with a couple of points left over, shield vanes will bring your save to an Immortal-level 3+ for just one point per dude. Legit worth it now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

serious gaylord posted:

So it wasnt anything bad, they just aren't making what some people want right now?

Hencoe posted:

They showed off the Raven Guard upgrades at the weekender as well as Ultramarine ones, I can kind of understand since i'm holding back on an order and was hoping to fill it out with some Tyrants if they were shown off, but does anyone know what went down at the "Stone and Iron" seminar? I haven't heard anything about it yet.
Iron Warriors are not the only one though, Alpha Legion is in a similar spot.

It's just lovely that they're not focusing on releasing models for existing armies. I've waited 2 years to build out mine using the 'correct' bits, and 1 year for an upgraydd pack. There are a few poor armies with zero rules, units, or any idea when their stuff will come out. That sucks big time, but what come close is having your stuff already in a book, waiting every weekend for a release, and then having FW announce a new book, ultramarines, and a super heavy flying brick.

I can't be the only person having their patience tested. I'm hosed either way at this point- if I wait another year to get my models I cant play games. If I scratch build my own and then FW releases official ones I have to spend more money and am hosed in another.

I expected something different from FW, I guess, but I realize now its more of the same... just with better writers. I'll vote with my money.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Patience is a virtue.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Drake_263 posted:

Tomb Blades are legit good, now. You're essentially paying 1 point over a stock Immortal to get one with a worse save but T5, relentless, and with twin-linked guns and ridiculous mobility. 2 points more gets you a nebuloscope - 20 points per man to get a whole squad of something the Necron codex generally has very little of, firepower that ignores cover. 'Blades with gauss blasters and nebuloscopes will basically be mobile hunter-killers that'll just scour ruins clean of light infantry and glance vehicles to death - and having ignores cover also means Eldar gravtanks and other skimmers can just go gently caress themselves.

Alternatively, you could pay 2 more points to upgrade the gauss blasters to particle beamers - 22 points per dude for a whole squad of ignores cover S6AP5 blasts will annihilate guardsman equivalents, force ridiculous amounts of wounds on Marines, and still pack a good chance of glancing light vehicles if you really need to.

And of course, if you find yourself with a couple of points left over, shield vanes will bring your save to an Immortal-level 3+ for just one point per dude. Legit worth it now.

Yeah, the unit looks amazing now (I have no idea what they were like before). I'm just trying to decide if it would be worth it to pay cash money for them in order to run the necron specific detachment vs just doing a combined arms with the contents of the Tomb Awakened and Battleforce boxes. The detachment looks like something you'd almost always want to us because of the improved RP rolls. The only model in those two boxes that you can't field as-is in the detachment seems to be the Triarch stalker, which needs two praetorian units.

So I'd be looking at buying those two boxes, plus a praetorian/lychguard box and a box of tomb blades to have a legal decurian thingy with no unused models.

But I have too many 40k armies already, and I've been playing less than ever so I'll probably just not buy anything and spend the money on paying down my mortgage or something.

Or save up for HH ultramarines this summer. That's the stuff.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BuffaloChicken posted:

Finally finished my Sporocyst... was rather tedious to paint, as most of the little detailed segments were repeated five times over.

For those who missed it, here's the Mucolid it births:

Still need to finish the Spore mines from the kits, too. And my custom Dimachaeron is about 99% done!

These look rad! It sounds like painting the Sporocyst is as bad as painting a drop pod--which is why I have yet to finish mine. :-\

Yeah if I didn't also have a Night Lords army I'd be upset about the lack of Iron Warriors releases. Also the fact that the IW contemptor looks terrible.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

It's just lovely that they're not focusing on releasing models for existing armies. I've waited 2 years to build out mine using the 'correct' bits, and 1 year for an upgraydd pack. There are a few poor armies with zero rules, units, or any idea when their stuff will come out. That sucks big time, but what come close is having your stuff already in a book, waiting every weekend for a release, and then having FW announce a new book, ultramarines, and a super heavy flying brick.

I can't be the only person having their patience tested. I'm hosed either way at this point- if I wait another year to get my models I cant play games. If I scratch build my own and then FW releases official ones I have to spend more money and am hosed in another.

I expected something different from FW, I guess, but I realize now its more of the same... just with better writers. I'll vote with my money.

You are aware nearly every book 3 army is in the same boat, right? Hell, Imperial Fists had nothing for most of the time you had a Contemptor, at least. Instead you use the fact the 'wrong' army got their model releases first as a point of contention? Where are the Lernean Terminators? Headhunters?

This isn't some overarching conspiracy and you're acting like them showing off WIP models that won't even see release for the foreseeable future means anything in relation to the imaginary idea of Bulbasaur's Well Thought Out Timeline of Iron Warrior Releases, which is probably just a single point on a line that says 'now' followed by a bunch of question marks. You're an adult and you can do what you like but if this is what it takes to get you 'disenfranchised' i don't know what the gently caress, man.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
In other FW news, the Ordinatus will not have rules in Tempest :(
Next book will be Shadow Wars, and after that we finally get to the Thousand Sons. Aww yisss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I think it's eminently reasonable that FW is prioritizing Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, and (apparently) Ultramarines over Alpha Legion and Iron Warriors--even though I like Alpha Legion and Iron Warriors way more than Imperial Fists or Raven Guard--because there are so many more Traitor Legions available than Loyalist right now. I can certainly understand why Bulbasaur is annoyed, but since upgrade packs are way easier to trickle in than things like Samus and the Stormbird, I don't think he's going to have to wait for more than 6 months for his IW-specific heads and torsos. I'm also surprised to hear upgrade-pack woes from him specifically, given his emphasis on awesome conversions using very few core FW pieces.

• Locked thread